FSU 24 Virginia 23 6 minutes left ACCN

WBT

10 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

FSU was really in a tough spot there. I believe that clock issue would have been correctable, but not once a play was run. So your choices were a) run a play because you don't want the clock to run out on you, b) stop doing anything in the hopes the officials would correct the running-clock mistake, or c) spike the fucking football regardless. 

C is obviously their best bet. They were likely only going to get one shot at the end zone whether they had 5 seconds or 1 second.  They needed to preserve that last shot at the end zone and they needed to take it in the most composed fashion they could get; without a timeout, that means they needed to spike the ball, stop the clock, and pick a winner.

Never understood how he left anything bare.  FSU was in the top 10 if not top 5 every year up to the year he left.  The senior leadership on that team was rated as some of the best talent in the country.

Now, I guess that he could have recruited the very worst 4 and 5 * talent possible and now its showing up, but I would find that to be a little too selective.

I'm going to go with a lack of passion for the job (jimbo) and pretty shitty management (taggert) as the biggest culprit.

https://n.rivals.com/news/rivals-top-50-recruiting-teams-of-the-past-five-years

ranked #3 behind only Alabama and Ohio State

37 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

Never understood how he left anything bare.  FSU was in the top 10 if not top 5 every year up to the year he left.  The senior leadership on that team was rated as some of the best talent in the country.

Now, I guess that he could have recruited the very worst 4 and 5 * talent possible and now its showing up, but I would find that to be a little too selective.

I'm going to go with a lack of passion for the job (jimbo) and pretty shitty management (taggert) as the biggest culprit.

https://n.rivals.com/news/rivals-top-50-recruiting-teams-of-the-past-five-years

ranked #3 behind only Alabama and Ohio State

It's what he recruits.  He's recruiting the best talent available at WR and OG, and by 2022 he should have 45 receivers and 40 guards on scholarship.

It's going to be interesting to watch.  

59 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

Never understood how he left anything bare. 

Recruiting rankings don't mean much of anything if you leave massive holes on the roster. Their OL and QB depth chart were a complete mess when Jimbo left. 

Taggart deserves some blame but Jimbo left a lot of roster issues. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Understood.  I don't follow recruiting that much.  I would have assumed, that along with great scores for recruits, that you would also be scored on how effectively you fill holes in your roster with that talent.   But based on what you're telling me here, is that I could recruit the best class in the history of college football by recruiting all the 4 and 5 * WR, RB, and CB available, all based on their cumulative scores.  Is that about correct?

Edited by mulletpelini
because if it is, that's just fucking stupid

29 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Didn’t we miss out on a guy to FSU 2-3 years ago? I’m thinking LB or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dontavious Jackson. Picked FSU because he said it helped his "brand". He's been terrible at FSU. 

He was also about as dirty a recruitment as they come. Jackson had a handler that Strong apparently wanted nothing to do with. There was a lot of talk about this handler during that cycle so I'm sure someone can give more feedback. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mulletpelini said:

But based on what you're telling me here, is that I could recruit the best class in the history of college football by recruiting all the 4 and 5 * WR, RB, and CB available, all based on their cumulative scores.  

Yes. Recruiting rankings are based on the cumulative score regardless of position. So if you land 10 composite top 100 recruits at WR/RB it's no different than say being spread out over several positions. 

Based on the recruiting rankings Jimbo had some talent on the OL but he was terrible at evaluating positional fit. Almost their entire roster was interior OL instead of tackles. Funny enough he's doing the same thing at A&M (take a look at the aggy recruiting thread). 

Jimbo's QB recruiting was awful at the end of his tenure at FSU. I mean......they almost all ended up on Last Chance U. 

Edited by texasstrong12