Struggles for Offense/Defense and How to Fix It

LTtxfan

10 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Bitch please. See what happens when you throw out a take that's unpopular but seems to be proving right.  Then a week later, I'll start a thread with the same shit and tell you hush when you show up confused. This team is difficult to watch and even more so when you realize the glaring problems. So I come to a message board to bitch about it with others who share in my fandom. Sue me.  P.S. I'll give you just a tip...

giphy.gif

• Like 3

20 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

not sure if we tried 4 wide/empty backfield once yesterday. 

stop doubling down on “ball control” to help the D. You need to be in a Texas Texh mode starting the game knowing you need to score 50. 

the lack of urgency on offense in the second half was disturbing. 

This.

Momentum is real. Points are better than ball control. 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, El Hornarino said:

I don't either since he isn't very good at all.

'05 defense was a result of Tomey and Robinson.

Chizik's coaching prowess was on display recently when Baylor scored 1000 points against UNC in the Russell Bowl with 0 quarterbacks.

Exactly. The game has passed the Chiz by. His 4-3 Tampa 2 defense with 3 LB (one or two of them covering today’s slots WR’s) would bring a special kind of hilarious failure only duplicated by our current DC. And Vance Bedford. And Manny Diaz. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

On both offense and defense, teams have our systems figured out. The lack of response from both sides of the ball is pretty unbelievable actually. I knew Herman was stubborn, but to see the complete absence of any kind of response to teams figuring us out is still pretty shocking to me.  The only real fixes for either side will come with a new DC, and possibly OC (if Herman were to let that OC have any meaningful say in the offense), or at least Herman spending all offseason making real changes to his offense. 

AGREE....

Player development is disappointing -- that's ultimately on the coaches.  Really frustrated not seeing more improvement from the talented younger players. Expected more production from Jake Smith, Washington, and Leitao who has not done anything.  Player rotations are still baffling by this staff.  Seeing Epps continuing to get reps at WR is just stupid.

The lack of in-game adjustments by the Horns coaching staff is downright criminal.  Fatterson makes a few half-time changes and the Texas coaches can't figure out "What the Hell to Do" to counter... THAT SUCKS!!

Herman was foolish to bring most of his UH staff to Texas... 

Edited by LTtxfan

Has anyone this season stopped Sam from running successfully? Every time he scrambles he gets at least 5 or 6 yards. It’s just dumb af at this point to force him to be a pocket passer and take away his strengths. Sams running is gonna open up things for Ingram and the passing game. 

Also, enough with the ball control shit. That requires a great undisciplined offense which we just don’t have. Rest is not helping the defense. We need to put pressure on our opponents to keep up with our offense period.

2 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Has anyone this season stopped Sam from running successfully? Every time he scrambles he gets at least 5 or 6 yards. It’s just dumb af at this point to force him to be a pocket passer and take away his strengths. Sams running is gonna open up things for Ingram and the passing game.   Also, enough with the ball control shit. That requires a great undisciplined offense which we just don’t have. Rest is not helping the defense. We need to put pressure on our opponents to keep up with our offense period.

One of the big advantages of Herman's offense is supposed to be a running QB -- at this point Texas better use it more.  Hell, when Roshon is in the game have him take a few snaps and Sam could line up at WR...

9 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Has anyone this season stopped Sam from running successfully? Every time he scrambles he gets at least 5 or 6 yards. It’s just dumb af at this point to force him to be a pocket passer and take away his strengths. Sams running is gonna open up things for Ingram and the passing game. 

Also, enough with the ball control shit. That requires a great undisciplined offense which we just don’t have. Rest is not helping the defense. We need to put pressure on our opponents to keep up with our offense period.

Yup.

I think he's been playing with broken ribs since LSU and he's trying to minimize his run game.

Sucks because Herman's entire offense relies on QB runs and scrambles...

• Like 1

Or if you bench him, tell him straight up that he won't be playing.  Don't leave him out there on the sideline with his helmet on, thinking he has a chance to play.

I said the same thing in the game thread. Unreal. I fully expect Eagles to transfer.
  • Like 2

+1 on the broken/bruised ribs.

He had a lengthy run toward the end of the game where he was crouched over the ball, running strangely.  If you had never seen him run before, it might have appeared that he was just being super-careful with the ball.

But I think he was trying to protect or compress his ribs.

25 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

It depends on how badly the BMDs like or want Urban Meyer.

33 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

One way to help the D is ball control and limit the snaps....

Another way to do it is to jump all over the opposing team offensively and make the other team one dimensional playing catch-up. A 2-3 score early lead my also give them a little confidence and room for error while making the opposing offense more one dimensional 

1 hour ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Honestly do we really think firing Herman at this point is gonna be beneficial for the program? Herman needs to adjust his staff but firing him would be fuckin stupid

I agree.  Herman's main problem is hubris.  Staff issues can be addressed, but his situational decision making has been a problem.  Constantly going for it on 4th, especially with points (FG) on the board has been a 50/50 proposition.  We lucked out vs UGA, but not taking points vs LSU hurt (2X).  I understand Ingram's drop , but there are at least a half dozen other field position gambles that have hurt more than helped.  Playing Epps, not making in-game adjustments, punt team snafus, playing field position vs lesser teams all speak to his ego. 

• Like 1

Duvernay is the only wr that knows how to get open.

Johnson has no burst. Can't separate, so every catch has to be contested or a highlight.

Eagles is possibly the best non-Duvernay receiver, and he's in the dog house for whatever he did.

Burt hasn't proven he can make catches.

Smith isnt ready mentally, it seems. I think He'll catch on.

Our best RB is the 3rd string QB.
I expected Ingram to be better. He gets some yards then he's down. His vision seems to have gotten blurry. He was real nice last year.

Tight ends don't make plays, butt Brewer did block.

OL is struggling again, somehow. I haven't pinpointed it. They look decent when Sam or RoJo run, though.

Sam had a bad day, but he's been missing downfield throws His entire career. I can live with that.

5 hours ago, C-Man said:

I said the same thing in the game thread. Unreal. I fully expect Eagles to transfer.

I expect him to transfer but I am assuming Herman told him he was only playing in an emergency/injuries.  that is what herman said in the PC after the game.  if he didn't tell him that then he should transfer. 

20 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I expect him to transfer but I am assuming Herman told him he was only playing in an emergency/injuries.  that is what herman said in the PC after the game.  if he didn't tell him that then he should transfer. 

That's the rub though. Either what he did warranted a suspension or it didn't. None of this "you're suspended unless we need you because of injuries" bullshit. If it was a half, have him suit up and play the second half like normal. Otherwise, do not dress him and/or leave him in Austin.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, C-Man said:

That's the rub though. Either what he did warranted a suspension or it didn't. None of this "you're suspended unless we need you because of injuries" bullshit. If it was a half, have him suit up and play the second half like normal. Otherwise, do not dress him and/or leave him in Austin.

IMO, as long as Herman's punishment is consistent with his rules its not a matter of what the rules/punishment are and as long as Eagles was aware I have no problem with it.  if he told him he might play without stating it would only be in an emergency then there is a huge issue.

there are a zillion other more pressing issues with the clusterfuck known as Tom Herman Texas Football.

• Like 1

Mostly Tom Herman being a part of Tom Herman's Texas Football.
Anyone hoping for anything other that firing of Tom Herman, asap, as in tomorrow, is foolish.
There is no fix other than nuke it from orbit.
That's not happening. Going back to back firing coaches after 3 years is retarded since he has had some success. No real top 20 coach would want any part of that unless it's a jimbo type of contract. But go ahead and fire him, some G5 coach will take the job again.

Having said that, LSU fans with the thankgod.gif

I don't really give a fuck who we get. Anyone not named Charlie Strong is an upgrade. 
And this bullshit about coaches being afraid is just a that. Ego is the king in Coaches and they would all firmly believe that "It won't happen to me".
So you're answer to having a horrible head coach is keep having a shitty head coach.
Pass.
We have no where to go but up.
Yeah, it is really that bad.
Angry too.

Clean house on everybody not named hand, but even he has had a few bad games the last few weeks. CDC is in an awkward situation now with this program. First big decision is about to happen in 6 weeks.

On 10/27/2019 at 2:44 PM, NowThis said:

recruit NFL assistants only since they make fast adjustments unlike the severe lag we see in college ball.

This.  Herman got Belichick to come do a coaches clinic, so maybe they are tight.  Herman needs to see if there is a position coach on the Patriot's staff looking to be a DC and bring their system. 

This.  Herman got Belichick to come do a coaches clinic, so maybe they are tight.  Herman needs to see if there is a position coach on the Patriot's staff looking to be a DC and bring their system. 
Bilicheck got paid to go to austin. He probably went to nebraska or ucla different times as well for similar money.

They dont vacation together.

12 hours ago, Zavala said:

I think he's been playing with broken ribs since LSU and he's trying to minimize his run game.

If this is the case I think we lose Thompson to the portal after the season.  No way he shouldn't have played entire games against Rice and Kansas if Sam has broken ribs. 

1 minute ago, MIkeHoncho said:

If this is the case I think we lose Thompson to the portal after the season.  No way he shouldn't have played entire games against Rice and Kansas if Sam has broken ribs. 

Ok sure but I don't know if he's even SMU level man. I've just seen him run a lot, never seen him make any real throws...

1 minute ago, markstanco said:

Bilicheck got paid to go to austin. He probably went to nebraska or ucla different times as well for similar money.

They dont vacation together.

Point taken, but doesn't change that a Patriots defensive position coach might take a phone call for the UT DC job.  Fuck it -> we need a splash hire at DC to make up for the last several years of garbage. 

Point taken, but doesn't change that a Patriots defensive position coach might take a phone call for the UT DC job.  Fuck it -> we need a splash hire at DC to make up for the last several years of garbage. 
Yea that's pretty obvious on the splash hire. Especially for recruiting.

On 10/27/2019 at 10:32 AM, Dbeasy said:

1. OC from Leach coaching tree.
2. 4 man defensive front with 1 sizable fast MLB who can both move and take on OL.
3. Six DB’s, with one of the DB’s having size (Owens) to play up as required.
5. Blitz five every once in awhile from wherever you want. Blitz 6 rarely but for change of pace.
6. Mix up man and cover two.
7. Drop Warehime today.
8. Drop Meh at the end of the season. He’s too hot or miss.
9. Replace Washington with someone who can both recruit and teach.
10. Beck stays only as a QB coach and only if the new OC wants him.
11. Put the fourth DL into shallow coverage a few times a game to eff with the other team.

So a new OC and DC and pretty much all new assistants. Should probably get rid of the HC at that point too if you have to completely change your whole staff because of incompetence 

• Like 1

So a new OC and DC and pretty much all new assistants. Should probably get rid of the HC at that point too if you have to completely change your whole staff because of incompetence 
Getting rid of the HC after year 3 is always a bad idea, especially doing it twice in a row. Charlie got rid of himself at Kansas.

Gut the other coaches, then if under 9 wins the following year time to move on.

2 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Getting rid of the HC after year 3 is always a bad idea, especially doing it twice in a row. Charlie got rid of himself at Kansas.

Yeah I'm cool with Beck fully stepping down and remaining QB coach. A real OC calling plays would be great. The playcalling has been way too conservative and predictable. 4th and 2? Yeah it's gonna be the QB power or a slant. We can't run a fucking RB screen at all. We refuse to run rub plays in the red zone even though every other team gets away with it.

Then on defense, I like the idea of Huff coaching DBs and getting a new DC in there calling plays. My thought is that the defense needs to run multiple packages. It's hard now with so many young players, but when you run one base defensive formation there is only so many looks you can give. If you are getting smashed on D it would be nice to switch up the defensive package and give the QB and opposing O an entirely different scheme to try and figure out.

Seems like we have so many guys hurt on defense it really just fucked the whole year up. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MIkeHoncho said:

If only WE were SMU level - 

SMUSMU

8-0

Wow that is depressing to type...

10 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Yeah nah man they don't play anybody.. the rankings are cool for hype but meaningless. 

smh...SMU beat TCU. Not a transitive property guy, but that is still embarrassing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Snacks said:

Duvernay is the only wr that knows how to get open.

Johnson has no burst. Can't separate, so every catch has to be contested or a highlight.

Eagles is possibly the best non-Duvernay receiver, and he's in the dog house for whatever he did.

Burt hasn't proven he can make catches.

Smith isnt ready mentally, it seems. I think He'll catch on.

Our best RB is the 3rd string QB.
I expected Ingram to be better. He gets some yards then he's down. His vision seems to have gotten blurry. He was real nice last year.

Tight ends don't make plays, butt Brewer did block.

OL is struggling again, somehow. I haven't pinpointed it. They look decent when Sam or RoJo run, though.

Sam had a bad day, but he's been missing downfield throws His entire career. I can live with that.

Ingram has had back to back strong games. My guess is that he's finally close to 100% healthy.

30-172-1 5-33-1 It's not his fault that whoever the fuck is calling plays didn't utilize him more.

It's crazy that most every other team in the Big 12 would scheme ways to get Johnson open. But since we get a simple route tree/combos, and horrible positional coaching he had to make almost very catch contested and a miracle.

Edited by HtownHorn

10 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

I agree with everything else you said but want to address this part.

Sam has never had a good long ball. He's hit a few home runs but they are few and far between.

The defensive coordinators we face aren't as dumb as ours and know that reality. They also know our OC won't stick to a run game. 

So they spy Sam and play underneath coverage taking a chance some hits a few and far between, because it won't happen often.

In the underneath coverage Sam has consistently forced balls into multiple coverages. 

We faced a good defense and a DC that new Sams proclivities.

Sam's easy to love. I like everyone else want him to succeed.

But he's not great, only maybe good and makes big mistakes in bad situations. He's not able to run due to he spy and OC plan, so his self confidence is dwindling.

He has a fucking terrible OC and offensive staff and his head coach is stupid not to mention his WRs largely suck at the game of football.

Add to that he absolutely knows like all of us that our D isn't stoping anyone. So he has that added pressure too.

He has no chance under all that bullshit to be successful in the future with this staff. None 

Everything else in this post I agree with except this bolded part. We don't know if he can be great because, well, pretty much everything you said. The regression he's taking due to having to force the issue and playing hero ball is criminal. 

The other thing I would add is that he's been making some NFL throws this season. Someone else will have to help me out with examples (too early for all that) but I remember several this season. Especially if you count the numerous drops by the receivers. 

But to your point on that, he's still too inconsistent on the deep ball. I've got a working theory that it's because he has trouble hitting smaller targets downfield. Now, that's not on the same level as "this offense sucks and there's no excuse" but I seem to notice more errant throws to Duvernay and Smith deep than Johnson or Eagles. Could be wrong given the sample size so cut me some slack. 

I guess where we differ is on three points.
1) I don't think we get to 9 wins. Possible but I doubt it.
2) Coaches ego won't allow them to consider bad coaches getting fired as a deterrent to taking a higher profile job.
3) Our coaching situation is untenable. Two good wins in his tenure of 3 years with Maryland, Maryland, TCU losses and KU last second win is not an acceptable record, at all.
It really can't get a lot worse unless we bring back Chuckles.
So why not cut dead weight right now rather than suffer another year of craptastic coaching that is also going to lead to poor recruiting and transfers?
The hole being dug only gets deeper the longer we keep Herman.

1. Agree. 9 is the ceiling.
2. With herman yes
3. I just dont see any positives coming out of trending towards firing coaches quickly. The buyout is enormous and as I said the optics are terrible for a coaching search.

Honestly, who out there that is not a G5 coach would want the pressure cooker of a 3 year window without CDC going all in on the dumbass money whip like aggy?

I would imagine it would be "acceptable" in the coaching world if you got fired after year four.

On 10/27/2019 at 3:04 PM, Ok. Caol Hook Em! said:

Is splitting out TE even worth it? I feel like it ruins the empty backfield set. 

Only if you have a good receiving TE who presents match-up problems against DBs (with his size) and LBs (with his quickness/route running). 

Certainly not if you have Cade Brewer out there. Or Leitao. Or Garrett Fucking Gray. 

Edited by Hookah Horns

2 hours ago, markstanco said:

1. Agree. 9 is the ceiling.
2. With herman yes
3. I just dont see any positives coming out of trending towards firing coaches quickly. The buyout is enormous and as I said the optics are terrible for a coaching search.

Honestly, who out there that is not a G5 coach would want the pressure cooker of a 3 year window without CDC going all in on the dumbass money whip like aggy?

I would imagine it would be "acceptable" in the coaching world if you got fired after year four.

I don't really buy this. Florida had no trouble getting their guy after firing the shark fucker in the middle of year 3 - after he won 10 and 9 games in his first 2 seasons there. Ditto Auburn after firing the Chizz 2 years after he won an NC and 4 years in all. 

But it's silly to even discuss firing Herman because it's not happening this year, and IMO wouldn't be warranted unless we lose out. 

Edited by Hookah Horns

10 hours ago, Tyrone biggums said:

Probably already been said but put 4 fucking receivers on the goddam field. We look like morons with leitao split out wide on obvious passing downs. Fuck herman

I'll never forget earlier this season when Herman was asked at a PC if they considered getting Duve and Jake on the field at the same time. He responded something like "why do we need to?" Obstinate dumbass. 

Edited by Hookah Horns

On 10/27/2019 at 12:14 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

not sure if we tried 4 wide/empty backfield once yesterday. 

stop doubling down on “ball control” to help the D. You need to be in a Texas Texh mode starting the game knowing you need to score 50. 

the lack of urgency on offense in the second half was disturbing. 

I'm not sure there was a lack of urgency or an attempt to control the ball considering we totally abandoned the running game for no apparent reason. In fact, I'd say we panicked and Beck reverted to his old habit of forgetting about the run. 

We just don't have a very explosive or unpredictable offense. TCU frequently diagnosed our routes and shut them down, leading us to throw a slew of sideline passes. 

Would enjoy some breakdown from more analytical Surly Folks on what adjustments Fatterson and TCU made in the 2nd half on defense that caused so much trouble for the Horns offense.

It just seems like Herman and his offensive staff have no clue how to counteract changes during the game and make any significant adjustments.  HELL the TCU secondary was running routes for the Longhorns WRs in the 2nd Half.  Not using motion to free up the Texas WRs is stupid and the WRs inability to block on WR screens is downright criminal.  How about copying some of Riley's plays to get your best players in open space.  Where is the creativity from a Texas offense that is healthy?  Why is the TE position such shit in Mensa's 3rd year at Texas.  

I'm also tired of Herman saying after a game that the opponent didn't do what we were expecting or saw on film study.  WTF, THAT'S FOOTBALL MENSA.  Good Coaches change things, and try not to be predictable.  Using deception is part of winning YOU DUMBASS.  Not understanding that TCU would throw the ball against the Horns depleted secondary nor being prepared for Duggan running the ball is ridiculous.  The bad LB play is all on Orlando -- he's failing a both calling plays defensively and developing his position group

Changing Gears... I think Mehringer is a cancer for this team.  Warehime and Meekins are not P5 assistant coaches.  For 2020, Herman better add more qualified assistants to his offensive staff that the players respect or Mensa won't survive as HC at Texas.  

I actually think that Chris Ash might be a good DC hire for Texas.  He did a great job for Urban at ohio state.  I like that Ash has a strong background at DB coaching and believe a stronger back end of the Texas Defense will really help turn things around.  

If I'm Herman, I admit to CDC that Orlando can't return for 2020.  I ask CDC to let Ash start studying the Horns team in depth, and prepare to add Ash to the staff after the Texas Tech Game.  The keys for both blOU and ohio state's easier transitions and not losing recruits was that both Riley and Day were in place ready to take over.

11 hours ago, markstanco said:

I hate to use them as an example, but let's look at OU sux in the 90's.    If I recall, Blake was much like their Charlie and Tom where the media had so much hope in both of them.  He was hired only Schnellenberger lasted a year who was hired after a medicore Gary Gibbs tenure.   In other words, as crooked and corrupt they maybe in Norman, the don't fuck around at getting rid of dead wood or wood that is beginning to rot.   Media or wishful boosters be damned.    Three or four years to get things right?  Ok, then after that ... Get out.   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Oklahoma_Sooners_head_football_coaches

Edited by Nueces River Rat

11 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Would enjoy some breakdown from more analytical Surly Folks on what adjustments Fatterson and TCU made in the 2nd half on defense that caused so much trouble for the Horns offense.

It just seems like Herman and his offensive staff have no clue how to counteract changes during the game and make any significant adjustments.  HELL the TCU secondary was running routes for the Longhorns WRs in the 2nd Half.  Not using motion to free up the Texas WRs is stupid and the WRs inability to block on WR screens is downright criminal.  How about copying some of Riley's plays to get your best players in open space.  Where is the creativity from a Texas offense that is healthy?  Why is the TE position such shit in Mensa's 3rd year at Texas.  

I'm also tired of Herman saying after a game that the opponent didn't do what we were expecting or saw on film study.  WTF, THAT'S FOOTBALL MENSA.  Good Coaches change things, and try not to be predictable.  Using deception is part of winning YOU DUMBASS.  Not understanding that TCU would throw the ball against the Horns depleted secondary nor being prepared for Duggan running the ball is ridiculous.  The bad LB play is all on Orlando -- he's failing a both calling plays defensively and developing his position group

Changing Gears... I think Mehringer is a cancer for this team.  Warehime and Meekins are not P5 assistant coaches.  For 2020, Herman better add more qualified assistants to his offensive staff that the players respect or Mensa won't survive as HC at Texas.  

I actually think that Chris Ash might be a good DC hire for Texas.  He did a great job for Urban at ohio state.  I like that Ash has a strong background at DB coaching and believe a stronger back end of the Texas Defense will really help turn things around.  

If I'm Herman, I admit to CDC that Orlando can't return for 2020.  I ask CDC to let Ash start studying the Horns team in depth, and prepare to add Ash to the staff after the Texas Tech Game.  The keys for both blOU and ohio state's easier transitions and not losing recruits was that both Riley and Day were in place ready to take over.

I really didn't see anything different other than they looked like they had our play calling scheme figured out and were waiting for us on several plays to run right into them.

It looked much better that it actually was because of Sam losing his fricken confidence and throwing a couple of INT's to wide open TCU defenders.    

16 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Maybe.  I would suspect it was mostly due to Fickell though.

52 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

if he goes with Ash this will end badly.  Urban did a great job for Urban and I think most of that was Fickell anyway.  you can't really know what TCU did unless you can see an all 22.  we did abandon the run yet again after a good first half.  the game plan was vanilla as it gets and Patterson beat his ass in the second half.

He's trying to win by protecting his shitty D with methodical O.  and once we get down one score he doubles down.  now he faces a coach he hasn't faced before.  this is going to be ugly, I've seen this movie before.  our D is going to get torched.  we can't stop pass or QB run and this has been going on for 2 years.

the playcalling at the goal line against TCU when we needed a TD was ridiculous. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, El Hornarino said:

Maybe.  I would suspect it was mostly due to Fickell though.

It's possible.

Luke Fickell   2012–2016  Ohio State (co-DC/LB)

Chris Ash    2011–2012   Wisconsin (DC/DB),    2013  Arkansas (DC/DB), 2014–15 Ohio St (co-DC/S)

But 2013 when Fickell was at ohio state without Chris Ash, the Ohio state defense struggled with tackling.  Ash arrived for 2014 season and ohio state tackling improved significantly... 

(I get it --  who really knows who or what's responsible for their 2014 improvement of tackling.  Fyi Herman was ohio state OC from 2012 - 2014 so maybe he was responsible for poor tackling in 2013.   /s  😀)

Below at 2:25 in video below, Urban mentions that his 2013 team at ohio state was "very average at tackling".  He then goes on to say that in 2014 when they worked to improve tackling, they were #1 in fewest missed tackles.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 2

Fickell was there even longer than that, and had the misfortune of getting to be the interim in 2011.

Probably nearly anybody could field a defense better than what we have now though.

As for Urbs, the defense trended upward from 2012 through 2016.  I think the jump in 2014 had more to do with the returning starters on defense... like the whole DL of Spence, Bennett, Washington and Bosa. *shrug*.