Affordable Watches

GottaB

2 hours ago, CoachTex said:

So after wearing this for a while,  how is it holding up?  Still like it?

It doesn't get a ton of use, (working from home most of the time, my daily driver/"dad mode" watch is almost always my SKX009), plus, I have a preference for bezels over chronographs, just in terms of how I tend to rely on my watches. 

But I do like it, and I will probably wear it to RoadAmerica to watch some racecars this upcoming weekend.

Only thing I don't like is the stock band - needs to be swapped out unless you're also wearing moon boots... 

Pick one up if you get a chance. But I probably wouldn't pay a markup unless you will never, ever be near a Swatch store in person. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting new re-release from Bulova, the 1973 Jet Star. 40mm octagonal case w/ Bulova's 262 kHz high-accuracy Precisionist movement. Previously Bulova only used this movement in big and garish watches. Sapphire crystal and 50m of water resistance, selling price of $600.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2

22 hours ago, Slacks said:

How do you cheap peeps feel about Seiko mods? 

I keep looking at the YM homages. 

I had the man Yobokies himself make me a Seiko Sea Monster in 2015.  Quality is great.  I don't know what kind of pressure testing he does, but he claimed it would be rated the same as before it was modded.  I have swam numerous times with it and no problems.  However, I don't ever wear it.  I wear my Winfield MT1 and Canister Fieldmaster much more because they feel less bulky and are a bit lower profile on the wrist.  If I was going to another Seiko mod, I would want to base it off a 62mas case.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Love mine.
5c82a2d046d0cd445831802b00c94621.jpg

Cool. Did you repost that insert yourself? I thought about messing around with my own 007 to see what I might like. I was looking at getting a black YM bezel insert... Then I was looking at a Day Date Crystal...

I also have a Solar Diver with the aluminum Batman bezel that is scratched, so I'm wondering what to do with it. 

But really, I just want one of the YM mods I see on etsy. 

8 hours ago, Slacks said:

Cool. Did you repost that insert yourself? I thought about messing around with my own 007 to see what I might like. I was looking at getting a black YM bezel insert... Then I was looking at a Day Date Crystal...

I also have a Solar Diver with the aluminum Batman bezel that is scratched, so I'm wondering what to do with it. 

But really, I just want one of the YM mods I see on etsy. 

I haven't done any mods to it, what insert are you referring to?

4 hours ago, Slacks said:

That is not the stock SKX bezel insert. That is a mod by someone. Wasn't sure if you did it or if you bought it modded.

I think it is, unless some trickster has been modifying things at the factory. 

Mine is on a Strapcode Super Engineer II, but the bezel and everything else is stock. 

20230725_171633.jpg

2 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I think it is, unless some trickster has been modifying things at the factory. 

Mine is on a Strapcode Super Engineer II, but the bezel and everything else is stock. 

20230725_171633.jpg

Clearly I'm blind to anything not an skx007. That's a skx009. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ve been in Brazil the last few days visiting wife’s family and have stopped to look at watches any chance I get. Obviously most of the “big name” stuff is expensive, but Orient watches are pretty popular here and I have seen plenty. Prices are about the same but the best part is the dates are in Portuguese. I MAY pull the trigger on one just for that unique feature. 

I’ve been in Brazil the last few days visiting wife’s family and have stopped to look at watches any chance I get. Obviously most of the “big name” stuff is expensive, but Orient watches are pretty popular here and I have seen plenty. Prices are about the same but the best part is the dates are in Portuguese. I MAY pull the trigger on one just for that unique feature. 

I was just talking about Portuguese day up thread. Probably do the same next time I am there.

Where in Brazil?

We were in Campos do Jordão for four days then to wife’s hometown of Bauru. Total of 14 days, mostly in Bauru.

Well hello neighbor (kind of). My wife did undergrad in Botucatu down the road a bit. I lived in Campinas. She has to go back in a couple of weeks for an unexpected trip. I’m pissed I can’t go.

To not derail this thread, I dropped off my Canister diver at the watch repair shop because the bezel insert was slightly off center at 12 o’clock. $22.50 to not be annoyed every time I look at my watch. Should get it back next week.
  • Like 1

Well hello neighbor (kind of). My wife did undergrad in Botucatu down the road a bit. I lived in Campinas. She has to go back in a couple of weeks for an unexpected trip. I’m pissed I can’t go.

To not derail this thread, I dropped off my Canister diver at the watch repair shop because the bezel insert was slightly off center at 12 o’clock. $22.50 to not be annoyed every time I look at my watch. Should get it back next week.

Very cool. We actually flew into Viracopos this trip. And to stay on the thread, haven’t bought the watch yet!
  • Like 1

Big fan of this watch. Put mine on this white Hybrid strap from Under the Cuff and it's a fantastic combo. Much sportier.

The only downside on this watch is the Miyota is loud. Didn't bother me but I know it does some people.

I've chatted with Nathan a couple times and he's a really nice guy.

Another great Austin brand is DuFrane.2023_0722_18261300.jpg

Ok, so I guess Little Watch Shop down off Welch didn’t want to waste their precious time fixing my watch. I suppose I could try myself, but honestly would rather have someone else do it right the first time.

I assume that the bezel insert could just be removed and adhered centered at 12 o’clock. Any suggestions for a shop in Houston that would do this? I was going to try a place in Oak Forest next weekend if no one else had a suggestion. Here is a photo, and I know this is slightly OCD…

50135db5f9704236270cea53e50d4a1d.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/24/2023 at 8:48 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

I had the man Yobokies himself make me a Seiko Sea Monster in 2015.  Quality is great.  I don't know what kind of pressure testing he does, but he claimed it would be rated the same as before it was modded.  I have swam numerous times with it and no problems.  However, I don't ever wear it.  I wear my Winfield MT1 and Canister Fieldmaster much more because they feel less bulky and are a bit lower profile on the wrist.  If I was going to another Seiko mod, I would want to base it off a 62mas case.

spacer.png

That is a damn fine watch. I was looking at some Seiko mods, saw a few shops on Etsy. Few caught my eye, but haven't pulled the trigger. Anything to look out for when buying a Seiko mod? What makes a mod a mod and not a knock off? Here is one I saw that I liked.

That is a damn fine watch. I was looking at some Seiko mods, saw a few shops on Etsy. Few caught my eye, but haven't pulled the trigger. Anything to look out for when buying a Seiko mod? What makes a mod a mod and not a knock off? Here is one I saw that I liked.

Well, I would think you mean an homage vs a knockoff. One takes style clues but never claims to be a Rolex or Omega or whatever. For me, a mod is just that. Using an SKX007 or other watch as the base to build a custom watch from. Or using all aftermarket parts, including the case, to achieve the look you want. There are a ton modders and watchmakers on Instagram and Etsy. Reddit is a good resource too. I just like the watch to look how I wanted and function as it supposed to (movement and water resistance). I don’t think all mods are pressure tested though.

On 8/23/2023 at 6:40 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

^^^^that blackout you linked is pretty sharp. 

Just realized it has no LUM. I know it is a "Blackout" but.....that makes me think: why would you get a watch with no LUM?!?! I mean, maybe it isn't something that is a HUGE deal, but I do check the time on my watch when sleeping from time to time. I just feel like I would miss it if it wasn't there. Hmm, now I don't know about this one. 

3 hours ago, Dignan said:

Just realized it has no LUM. I know it is a "Blackout" but.....that makes me think: why would you get a watch with no LUM?!?! I mean, maybe it isn't something that is a HUGE deal, but I do check the time on my watch when sleeping from time to time. I just feel like I would miss it if it wasn't there. Hmm, now I don't know about this one.

Absolute dealbreaker for me. 

Dumb. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had always wanted an A11 “hack” watch. Went ahead and got the Bulova. I like the simple look of the watch. The case, at 38mm, is smaller than what I typically wear. Hard to believe the original size of them was 32mm. Only complaint I have is the strap. Need to find another one. Otherwise, I am enjoying it.

1b0cb0d6319829911de5651545f196e6.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

16 hours ago, Anwar Namtut said:

What do you all think of these? I like the looks of them. Maybe pushing outside of "affordable watches" but I've the Citizen on eBay for under $500. The Seiko, not so much.

Citizen Satellite Wave GPS. 

Seiko Presage.

If you're content with atomic radio sync instead of satellite GPS, both Citizen and Casio make more affordable versions of your first watch. Look up Citizen's PMD56 and Casio's Lineage LIW lines.

The Kabuki Presage looks damn good, but $1200 for a 6r21 movement with +25 to -15 s/day? That's tough to justify. You can get a Tissot Gentleman or a Hamilton Jazzmaster with a superior ETA-based movement for the same price, if not less.

Edited by satyanash
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

43599b203e49dd77fb7b00a7d29c1ed0.jpg
Picked up an Orient Ray Raven II as a daily “why not”?” Came with a black metal band but I wanted to see what this leather strap looked like on it. Really really like the face of this watch. It’s my first Orient. f9d0ab79e727db9327039e22b646896c.jpg

Update: LOVE this watch. It’s become my regular wear. I put it on a black Barton rubber strap. LUM is great. Movement too. The second hand has an orangish red tint that really pops. Love it.

On 10/25/2023 at 9:56 AM, satyanash said:

If you're content with atomic radio sync instead of satellite GPS, both Citizen and Casio make more affordable versions of your first watch. Look up Citizen's PMD56 and Casio's Lineage LIW lines.

The Kabuki Presage looks damn good, but $1200 for a 6r21 movement with +25 to -15 s/day? That's tough to justify. You can get a Tissot Gentleman or a Hamilton Jazzmaster with a superior ETA-based movement for the same price, if not less.

After looking around some, I have decided I like solar powered plus either atomic timing or satellite timing. The ones that appeal to me are either Seiko Coutura line or Citizen PCAT or Satellite like I've linked to above.

Any other manufacturers that have both. I did look at Casio/G-shock.

Those Direnzos sure look nice!

7 hours ago, Anwar Namtut said:

After looking around some, I have decided I like solar powered plus either atomic timing or satellite timing. The ones that appeal to me are either Seiko Coutura line or Citizen PCAT or Satellite like I've linked to above.

Any other manufacturers that have both. I did look at Casio/G-shock.

The Citizen Attesa and Casio Oceanus lines are the gold standard when it comes to quartz watches. Solar powered, hardened titanium with top-tier finishing (Oceanus watches are zaratsu polished in the same factory that does Grand Seiko's polishing), sapphire crystal, atomic radio sync w/ perpetual calendar, world time functionality, and high shock resistance. They're JDM-only so tough to get here, but there are vendors like Ippo Japan, Seiya Japan and Sakura that will ship them stateside.

s100.thumb.jpg.52bd9ba2f4f8e1e935617e79311c3c0e.jpgcb1120-68l-4.thumb.jpg.691ea6275180943244ee8aec322179b1.jpg

Edited by satyanash
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Every time I hear or read the word "citizen," it brings to mind the contrived story that Mr. Orange tells about the cops and the drug sniffing dog in the bathroom from Reservoir Dogs, which ends with one of the cops muttering "stu-pid fu-ckin' ci-ti-zen." 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

• 5 weeks later...

Gulp. Starting to look through this thread and getting the bug. I'm a big fan of this Stowa watch... but it's going to end up being about $1,400. Anyone know of anything similar that's an easier to handle price?

image.jpeg.0fd7de1c882b065337fdcace3f5c0de0.jpeg