2018 Texas Rangers thread

BigDHornfan

59 minutes ago, Ebeye said:

It is going to be a long rebuild. We don’t have the assets on the farm or much worth trading for. 

Not sold on the front office draft prowess either. Rangers are the old rangers again. No pitching, draft misses, and the occasional Latin international signing that pans out well. 

33 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Not sold on the front office draft prowess either. Rangers are the old rangers again. No pitching, draft misses, and the occasional Latin international signing that pans out well. 

Daniels has lost a lot of his supporting staff over the last few years, Preller & Servais come to mind immediately.  It will be interesting to see if he can pull out another rebuild.

Boy am I glad I watched the masters and recorded this game rather than vice versa.

first thought about this game was that the only thing shittier than the product on the field is the garbage in the TV booth. Raymond and Nitkowski have absolutely no chemistry together and Nitkowski actually sounds like he doesn't like Raymond. I can't believe this organization tossed Josh Lewin aside. I long for the Busby and Grieve days.

secondly, this offense is so bad. Can't believe Rua is the best we can do for an everyday left fielder. As much as I hate Choo, I think the best hitting lineup we could put on the field right now is Choo in left, Robinson in center and Mazara in right. Bring Calhoun up to DH. Maybe even put Profar at second over Odor.

Edited by Billy Pilgrim

18 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Boy am I glad I watched the masters and recorded this game rather than vice versa.

first thought about this game was that the only thing shittier than the product on the field is the garbage in the TV booth. Raymond and Nitkowski have absolutely no chemistry together and Nitkowski actually sounds like he doesn't like Raymond. I can't believe this organization tossed Josh Lewin aside. I long for the Busby and Grieve days.

secondly, this offense is so bad. Can't believe Rua is the best we can do for an everyday left fielder. As much as I hate Choo, I think the best hitting lineup we could put on the field right now is Choo in left, Robinson in center and Mazara in right. Bring Calhoun up to DH. Maybe even put Profar at second over Odor.

I can't listen to the TV broadcast.  As bad as what is being put on the field, what is in the booth is worse.  Hell, I rather have Radigan back in there.  

7 minutes ago, Ebeye said:

I can't listen to the TV broadcast.  As bad as what is being put on the field, what is in the booth is worse.  Hell, I rather have Radigan back in there.  

Rhadigan at least sounded a little excited when doing games even if he didn't know what the hell he was talking about. Raymond doing those A's games on the west coast last week put me to sleep immediately 

11 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Rhadigan at least sounded a little excited when doing games even if he didn't know what the hell he was talking about. Raymond doing those A's games on the west coast last week put me to sleep immediately 

Nothing will ever top the absolute bomb Nelly Cruz hit into the Upper Deck in Right field and Rhads is saying "That one's hit high in the air..." b/c he had no clue off the bat that the ball was an absolute bomb.  Dude couldn't figure it out quick enough.  

On the broadcast talk i was one of the ones pissed when they let lewin go...and the excuse was bs saying they wanted a more professional call...atleast we were entertained with grieves and lewin

Hopefully profar takes his chance and never looks back...will give me a reason to watch for awhile atleast 

On 4/8/2018 at 7:37 PM, Ebeye said:

It is going to be a long rebuild. We don’t have the assets on the farm or much worth trading for. 

I wish they would just blow it all the way up. Saw a tweet today that last night's attendance was the lowest since 2010. Fans are tuning out.

2 hours ago, Ebeye said:

Remember when Perez was a hotshot prospect with TORP potential....ugh

Remember when Profar was untradeable and the best prospect ever!? That was the same year as Perez. I remember Perez pitching a gem against the Cardinals in 2013 and I thought we were on our way to having  a stud for the next decade. Then got injured and he's never been the same and now is just a bag of suck.

But hey, at least we have some neat little indoor stadium being built to look forward to!

39 minutes ago, DougO said:

In other news, Andrew Cashner gave up four hits over seven shutout innings for the Orioles.

Seems like he would have been good to keep for $16 over two years

We dont want cashner .... You think they want to win lol...gotta go with the suckage and put all your eggs in that very predictable mlb draft 

I mean if you get top picks every year how can you ever miss...every top 5 pick is in the H.O.F

10 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I remember when Ruben Mateo was a can’t miss, untouchable prospect. 

The first prospect that I remember caring about at all was Benji Gil.  As the way with most prospects, he never amounted to much.

• Like 1

Yep.  I’ve been somewhat out of the loop having just moved back from TN.  About 5 years ago, I could have sworn the Rangers were not only good, but had a Top 2 or 3 farm system ranking (prospects).
in the immortal words of Will Ferrel, “WHAT THE F HAPPENED?!?!”
We went all in. Especially in 2016 with the Lucroy and Beltran trade. Also just dumb trades starting in 2012 with Dempster and then Garza in 2013. Our farm system slowly started to deplete. And the guys we did bring up the were not as advertised. Especially the pitchers. Who is the last home grown pitcher we've had worth a damn?

30 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
55 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:
Yep.  I’ve been somewhat out of the loop having just moved back from TN.  About 5 years ago, I could have sworn the Rangers were not only good, but had a Top 2 or 3 farm system ranking (prospects).
in the immortal words of Will Ferrel, “WHAT THE F HAPPENED?!?!”

We went all in. Especially in 2016 with the Lucroy and Beltran trade. Also just dumb trades starting in 2012 with Dempster and then Garza in 2013. Our farm system slowly started to deplete. And the guys we did bring up the were not as advertised. Especially the pitchers. Who is the last home grown pitcher we've had worth a damn?

Kenny Rogers or Kevin brown

Edited by Pato del Muerto

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Kenny Rogers or Kevin brown

So about 3 decades ago? Both of them were here in the late 80s I believe. Pretty damn sad. 

Also, in 2012, Profar and Olt were supposed to be the future of this team. And they fell off a cliff quickly. It seems we keep hearing about these guys in our farm system and then when they come up here, it is pretty meh or injuries happen and they are never the same.

I had high hopes for ChiChi Gonzalez in 2015 when he first arrived. He looked legit. Then the bottom fell out pretty quickly. 

Rangers top prospects in 2013:

1) Jurickson Profar - injuries derailed what could’ve been an all star career. Now utility player at best.

2) Mike Olt - also had frequent injuries. Traded to Cubs for Matt Garza. Clear bust.

3) Martin Perez - never the same after TJ but has at least been durable last 2 seasons. League average starter.

4) Leonys Martin - showed flashes but could never hit enough. Still an elite CF.

5) Luis Sardinas - good defender but couldn’t hit. Traded for Gallardo. 

6) Luke Jackson - didn’t work as a starter. Switched to bullpen and then didn’t work either.

7) Cody Buckel - who?

8) Lewis Brinson - could be a star. In an ideal world, would be our current CF. Instead, we got 12 months of shitty Lucroy and Jeffress.

9) Justin Grimm - didn’t turn into a starter. Traded for Garza. Has a WS ring so good for him

10) Jorge Alfaro - main piece in the Hamels trade, but has been a bust so far. No patience at all. Doubt he turns into anything.