2018 Texas Rangers thread

BigDHornfan

26 minutes ago, TheFlagship said:

Rangers top prospects in 2013:

1) Jurickson Profar - injuries derailed what could’ve been an all star career. Now utility player at best.

2) Mike Olt - also had frequent injuries. Traded to Cubs for Matt Garza. Clear bust.

3) Martin Perez - never the same after TJ but has at least been durable last 2 seasons. League average starter.

4) Leonys Martin - showed flashes but could never hit enough. Still an elite CF.

5) Luis Sardinas - good defender but couldn’t hit. Traded for Gallardo. 

6) Luke Jackson - didn’t work as a starter. Switched to bullpen and then didn’t work either.

7) Cody Buckel - who?

8) Lewis Brinson - could be a star. In an ideal world, would be our current CF. Instead, we got 12 months of shitty Lucroy and Jeffress.

9) Justin Grimm - didn’t turn into a starter. Traded for Garza. Has a WS ring so good for him

10) Jorge Alfaro - main piece in the Hamels trade, but has been a bust so far. No patience at all. Doubt he turns into anything.

Almost makes you miss Oddibe McDowell, doesn't it?

37 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

The sucky teams of Incaviglia, O’Brian, Harrah, Mahorcic, Hough, Correa, Williams, McDowell, Fletcher, Buechele, Slought, and Guzman were far more fun to watch than today’s scrubs, though, that could just be a result of pre-cycnicism Knox.

You left out designated hitter larryyyyyyyyyyyyyy parrish

• Like 1

Also for reference, the top 10 prospects in MLB in 2013 were: Profar, Oscar Taveras (RIP), Dylan Bundy, Wil Myers, Xander Bogaerts, Gerrit Cole, Tyler Skaggs, Jose Fernandez, Zack Wheeler and Christian Yelich.

Most of that list worked out. Just not for us cause we’re cursed

1 hour ago, TheFlagship said:

Also for reference, the top 10 prospects in MLB in 2013 were: Profar, Oscar Taveras (RIP), Dylan Bundy, Wil Myers, Xander Bogaerts, Gerrit Cole, Tyler Skaggs, Jose Fernandez, Zack Wheeler and Christian Yelich.

Most of that list worked out. Just not for us cause we’re cursed

Jose Fernandez is also dead. I know he played for the Marlins, so most people probably have no idea.

1 hour ago, Bone3421 said:

I dont know why i keep watching.......

And yes those older teams were fun to watch...this team is not 

This team does nothing well 

I have the same feeling, and I don’t know why. There’s no inherent reason for it. Is it because we’ve tasted some success so it sucks now that it’s fallen away? Or because we have a decent payroll that’s underperforming as opposed to the Eddie Chiles days? Or is it something else?

Was someone else doing all the heavy lifting that Daniels got the credit for???    Nolan is in Houston, Preller is in San Diego, Thad Levine in Minnesota i believe, now Rangers sinking like a rock with $155 million dollar payroll and no help in sight

Was someone else doing all the heavy lifting that Daniels got the credit for???    Nolan is in Houston, Preller is in San Diego, Thad Levine in Minnesota i believe, now Rangers sinking like a rock with $155 million dollar payroll and no help in sight
By most of what I read, Nolan was a pure figure head here. And an advisory role. I see all over social media how Nolan deserves all the credit. False. I've read he would fall asleep in meetings or not even show up. Our demise and his leaving are not correlated. That's like saying Houston won because he happened to show up. No. Both teams were already established and being built when he got there. I'm sure he helped a little but our run this decade is not his doing.

JD feasted on a young talented lineup that didn't cost a lot of money. Once those players got older and needed to be paid, it started to come apart slowly. Bad trades were made that didn't need to like Dempster and Garza. Could never develop any pitching on our own. Our prospects fizzled out that we were told would be great. After that we 2011 WS loss, we were never quite the same for various reasons.

2012 and 2016 will go down as the biggest wastes of talent. Both had the talent to win it all on paper. Neither team even won a playoff game. Hell we've only won 2 playoff games total since the 2011 WS. They have went the way of the Mavs after their title.

Dark days right now for DFW sports teams. None seem to have much vision. Hell I guess the Cowboys probably have the best chance to succeed at this point.

Well, you addressed Nolan... sorta.  You regurgitated the info that Team Daniels put out to the press to make his side look best.  Now Preller, Levine??   Were they making Daniels shine?  Cause its been downhill since Preller left and at $155 million, this current edition is a joke!!

1 hour ago, Native Horn said:

We're battling the laughingstock Marlins for shittiest team in all of MLB.  Damn shit went south in a hurry.

And the Marlins actually try to be shitty, so we are "competing" with a team that puts effort into dealing away their talent.

I say deal Beltre as soon as we can for as good of a deal as possible.  Float Choo to anyone who will listen and offer up to take on a chunk of his salary to try to get a halfway decent prospect in return.  Move Gallo back to third.  Bring up Guzman for first and Willie for DH, assuming service times are met for the extra year.  Embrace the suck and go full rebuild.

57 minutes ago, TheFlagship said:

Worst part is we don’t even have anyone good to trade. Nobody will give up a good prospect for a half season of Beltre. Hamels isn’t good anymore. 

Our best bet is one of the guys in the bullpen takes off.

Unless they go full Dyson from last year, they really only have up to go.  The projected strengths of Diekman and Bush are definitely not living up to their projections so far.

And I do realize that we are a couple of weeks into the season, and conceivably, they could get their acts together, but I have zero optimism about this team.

9 hours ago, Rholl said:

Well, you addressed Nolan... sorta.  You regurgitated the info that Team Daniels put out to the press to make his side look best.  Now Preller, Levine??   Were they making Daniels shine?  Cause its been downhill since Preller left and at $155 million, this current edition is a joke!!

I think they had a great group of young minds with Daniels, Preller ,and Levine with a figurehead elder statesman in Ryan that worked great back then.  When all of those pieces started to move away, the chemistry and energy just is no longer there.  

26 minutes ago, Ebeye said:

I say deal Beltre as soon as we can for as good of a deal as possible.  Float Choo to anyone who will listen and offer up to take on a chunk of his salary to try to get a halfway decent prospect in return.  Move Gallo back to third.  Bring up Guzman for first and Willie for DH, assuming service times are met for the extra year.  Embrace the suck and go full rebuild.

Nobody is trading for Beltre until July at the earliest.

18 minutes ago, TheFlagship said:

Nobody is trading for Beltre until July at the earliest.

I know, but a man can dream that someone will want a full season of Beltre instead of whatever scrub they are rolling out at third.  :)

30 minutes ago, Ebeye said:

I know, but a man can dream that someone will want a full season of Beltre instead of whatever scrub they are rolling out at third.  :)

I feel you man. Anyone else read Newberg today? The thought that Adrian and Elvis have played their last game together has me pretty down in the dumps.

11 minutes ago, TheFlagship said:

I feel you man. Anyone else read Newberg today? The thought that Adrian and Elvis have played their last game together has me pretty down in the dumps.

Yeah, that hit me in the feels when I read it this morning.  Adrian and Elvis are part of what makes baseball great.

3 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I’m curious as to how seemingly every player - save Beltre and Andrus - has gotten worse over the past 2 seasons.  Is this even real life?  Like, how can multiple players in their 20’s get worse with experience?

Because they were not as advertised? A lot of us had high hopes for Mazara when he busted onto the scene. He was the talk of young players in baseball for that short period. He's regressed since then.

• Like 1

Iapoce is in his 3rd year and Rangers hitting coach and I would agree that all of our young prospects have regressed significantly since receiving his coaching. How this guy (and Brocail for that matter) kept their jobs after last season is still mind blowing. Watching the approach at the plate by the Angels batters vs the Rangers batters was frustrating as hell.