Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

Patrick Bateman

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

Tannehill just got 30 fucking mil per year. Dak is much, much better.

2019 regular season passer rating:

tannehill: 117.5

dak: 99.7

2019 playoff passer rating:

tannehill: 98.5

dak: his dumb ass finished 8-8 and didn't make the playoffs.

Not surprising you don't remember just how bad the weapons were in 2018.  Rookie Gallup? No TE's. Cole Beasely was the best pass catcher for all of 8 yards every time?  Of course his numbers got better with a legit weapon.

Guess what? NO QB except Russ and maybe Rodgers excels with NO receiving weapons.  So if that's if that's the level you gotta be to get paid, I guess every team in the league but them should be drafting new QB's every year.  We don't even know if Mahomes can be a stud without Hill, Watson, and Kelce.

Just now, futureman said:

2019 regular season passer rating:

tannehill: 117.5

dak: 99.7

2019 playoff passer rating:

tannehill: 98.5

dak: his dumb ass finished 8-8 and didn't make the playoffs.

Oh now you want to use numbers and not any other time.  You're the kind of the moving target and moving the goal posts.

6 minutes ago, Drew said:

Not surprising you don't remember just how bad the weapons were in 2018.  Rookie Gallup? No TE's. Cole Beasely was the best pass catcher for all of 8 yards every time?  Of course his numbers got better with a legit weapon.

so apologetic for dak.  always so apologetic.  

31 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Lamar Jackson? Explain to me how he's better. What has he did that is so much greater? His 2 playoff games so far have been putrid. I don't want to know if Lamar will be better down the line. Right now, what exactly does he do better? 

Jackson had 508 total yards in Baltimore's playoff loss this past season. He threw for 3000+ yards (36 TDs) and rushed for 1200 yards and 7 TDs. He's 19-3 as a starter in the regular season. There isn't a GM in football that would trade Lamar Jackson for Dak today, tomorrow or five years from now. Well, maybe except for Bill O'Brien.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Lamar Jackson? Explain to me how he's better. What has he did that is so much greater? His 2 playoff games so far have been putrid. I don't want to know if Lamar will be better down the line. Right now, what exactly does he do better? 

I can’t tell if you’re being serious right now. Are you asking with a straight face how the 2019 MVP of the league is a better player than Dak Prescott? Lol What exactly does he do better than Dak? I would start by saying he’s better at giving defensive coordinators nightmares. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 2

Cool for him but thank god we didn't break the bank for a guy who has zero ball skills and had a few picks his entire career. Hell even Jeff Heath lucked into more than that in a given season. Never got the hype for him at all but hey, let someone else break the bank for him. Give me a guy who can actually make plays on the ball. It wasn't him and really not sure if we have anyone like that on this roster.

This front office has completely botched this defense in many ways. From the players we draft and didn't draft to the coordinator we hired and kept for so long. Start cleaning out the trash little by little. This team will only go as far as the defense is able to hold up and contribute. All we need for them to be is average. That's it. Same for the shitty special teams. Just give us average and try making a play here and there.

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Cool for him but thank god we didn't break the bank for a guy who has zero ball skills and had a few picks his entire career. Hell even Jeff Heath lucked into more than that in a given season. Never got the hype for him at all but hey, let someone else break the bank for him. Give me a guy who can actually make plays on the ball. It wasn't him and really not sure if we have anyone like that on this roster.

This front office has completely botched this defense in many ways. From the players we draft and didn't draft to the coordinator we hired and kept for so long. Start cleaning out the trash little by little. This team will only go as far as the defense is able to hold up and contribute. All we need for them to be is average. That's it. Same for the shitty special teams. Just give us average and try making a play here and there.

That guy who has 0 ball skills will have at least 4 INTs next year and had 8 INTs in his college career. DBs who left Dallas over the past few years have seen marked improvement in the number INTs they get the moment they left our garbage scheme.  Brandon Carr who had 1 INT in his last 3 season with the Cowboys had 6 INTS in the 2 seasons upon leaving. 

13 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

That guy who has 0 ball skills will have at least 4 INTs next year and had 8 INTs in his college career. DBs who left Dallas over the past few years have seen marked improvement in the number INTs they get the moment they left our garbage scheme.  Brandon Carr who had 1 INT in his last 3 season with the Cowboys had 6 INTS in the 2 seasons upon leaving. 

I agree to some degree, his picks will go up in a different scheme but the rep on Jones has always been lack of ball skills and pan hands.  Doesn't mean he's not a good player and big loss but a lot of us could see this a mile away.  We'll be drafting a CB in the first 3 rounds IMO.  I wish Jones well.  He was a good soldier and after finding his place, he was a very good contributor for us.  Not a true shutdown CB and that's what he's paid like so I get passing on paying him.  Guys like him or Josh Norman just aren't going to be true difference makers.  Hopefully our player pro department can identify a FA for a fraction of the price that can give the team a good deal of Jones' on field value.

• Like 1

Garrett is gone. Assuming we have an NFL season this year, IMO, should be a “prove it” season for some players. JMO. I’ll just be low key vague with my post. At least we didn’t trade a world class WR for a busted ass RB and picks. Oh wait! We gave a first rounder for a WR we may not want to keep. So glad we paid all that money to Zeke. He sure helped us this past season...like a lot. Like to the post season. Like a key win over a severely depleted Fecals team. 
sorry. Self isolation sucks. 

17 minutes ago, Genco said:

There are 1,000 defensive snaps in a season. Anyone saying this is no big loss is a simpleton that evaluates DB play strictly by how many INTs ESPN stats reports.

He was arguably the 2nd most important free agent after Dak on the team this offseason. 

For review, going back to this time last year the most important contracts to renegotiate were:

1: Demarcus Lawrence (he was already free agent and the most crucial renegotiation at this time last year)

2: Dak

3a: Cooper

3b: Jones

4: Zeke

Stephen Jones, in his infinite wisdom, decided to reset the market with the least important guy on the list. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I agree to some degree, his picks will go up in a different scheme but the rep on Jones has always been lack of ball skills and pan hands.  Doesn't mean he's not a good player and big loss but a lot of us could see this a mile away.  We'll be drafting a CB in the first 3 rounds IMO.  I wish Jones well.  He was a good soldier and after finding his place, he was a very good contributor for us.  Not a true shutdown CB and that's what he's paid like so I get passing on paying him.  Guys like him or Josh Norman just aren't going to be true difference makers.  Hopefully our player pro department can identify a FA for a fraction of the price that can give the team a good deal of Jones' on field value.

That's a fair analysis and I don't disagree, however from my point of view if things were managed a bit better last year we could've set ourselves up to franchise Jones this off-season. Which would've allowed for the grooming of a top 3 round DB pick this season before letting Jones go on his merry way next year. Also it would've given us the side benefit of seeing Jones in a different scheme and perhaps trading him away for picks. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

That's a fair analysis and I don't disagree, however from my point of view if things were managed a bit better last year we could've set ourselves up to franchise Jones this off-season. Which would've allowed for the grooming of a top 3 round DB pick this season before letting Jones go on his merry way next year. Also it would've given us the side benefit of seeing Jones in a different scheme and perhaps trading him away for picks. 

No doubt.... Stephen/Jerrah have been a shit show on the contract situation for awhile now..... The Zeke contract was fucking terrible.

• Like 2

I can’t argue with people like this.  Dak has never played like an MVP all season like Jackson or Wentz. I think he might be fringe top 10 and not necessarily 12-15, but I don’t know. Maybe he is better than Wentz, but he is not better than Jackson. Get a grip. 

I can’t wait to see Dak in an offense that isn’t stuck in the past(oh you know, like at time last year where you could tell Garrett had his hands in the game plan and when he didn’t)

Dak WAS in the MVP Discussion last season until late.

Also you are forgetting they tailored the entire offense around Jackson and his skill set. Yes it got him the MVP and it proved guys like him can succeed. But no, he’s not a better thrower than Dak. He doesn’t break down defenses or read the field like Dak. He’s a better runner, more dynamic and had much better coaching and a system that was better working in his favor.

How people still don’t get that coaching and system matters, especially after watching Garrett the last decade, I’ll never know.

People still pretend Goff was so great when he lead them to the SB. No the team was great. The coaching and offensive system was great and made him look better. I’d say the same about Wentz and yes especially Jackson.

Also I’d love to have seen Dak in Andy Reid’s offense in KC. And I’d love to see how Mahomes looked after a couple of years of Garrett.

People still acting like Dak isn’t a top 10 QB, especially after last year, are the ones that are difficult to reason with
  • Like 1

Paying Jaylon Smith and Zeke over Amari Cooper and Byron Jones is flat out stupid.
And looks like the Dak situation is gonna drag out for months.

I really doubt they had a choice. As we saw how long it took to get Amari and Daks people to even talk. Amaris camp flat said they were waiting until FA this year to see their price. Cowboys can’t do anything with about a player wanting to test the market except overpay him to not test it(would have taken more than 20).

1 hour ago, Drew said:

I really doubt they had a choice. As we saw how long it took to get Amari and Daks people to even talk. Amaris camp flat said they were waiting until FA this year to see their price. Cowboys can’t do anything with about a player wanting to test the market except overpay him to not test it(would have taken more than 20).

Cowboys should've met with Amari's people during the initial trade for him and made it contingent on his signing. Cooper had different representation at the time. Literally every other team does that during trades. Buffalo is doing just that with Stefon Diggs right now. Baltimore is doing it with Calais Campbell. Colts are doing it with Deforest Buckner. Stephen just sucks as a negotiator. When are we going to stop blaming the players and start blaming the real culprit. Every big time negotiation over the past 5 years has been a complete clusterfuck, EVERY SINGLE TIME. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

1 hour ago, Drew said:

You actually think it was cheaper to wait 18 months and let Cooper get to free agency than to extend him after the trade? Are you Mickey Spagnola and is there any personnel move the Cowboys make that you won't alibi for?

3 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

And another one 

Kirk cousins was in that same MVP discussion for a good chunk of the year. Empty stats against bad teams can go a long way in contract negotiations, and that’s what’s happening right now IMO. We saw how Dak put up those numbers last year. The hell are we even talking about lol?

8 hours ago, Drew said:

People still acting like Dak isn’t a top 10 QB,

he isn’t.  it’s not really even something to argue.  you can argue about his contract and the increasing caps and the timing of it and the position he plays and how that all factors in to the ridiculous money he is probably going to get.  but no, he’s not a top 10 quarterback, and it’s not a debate. 

13 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Paying Jaylon Smith and Zeke over Amari Cooper and Byron Jones is flat out stupid.

And looks like the Dak situation is gonna drag out for months.

10 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

Stefon Diggs is going into the 2nd year of a 5 year $72 million contract. I would much rather have Stefon with that contract or R Cobb and his contract + a rookie WR than Amari @ 5 years for $100M.🙄

36 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I don’t buy this. 

I do. Why wouldn’t you? It depends on what significantly more means, but Washington is a dumpster fire. If you’re thinking about your career, and life after football, I’m not picking Washington over Dallas over a few mil 

Edited by youdunnf'dup