2020 Rain Thread

Hate

36 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Back to say:  1) Yep, rained hard over my house. I've had about 349 inches since January.  You guys?  2) I said essentially severe weather wasn't going to happen in our immediate Austin area, which it won't.  But just east of us and into E and NE Texas, it likely will.  So if you live or have abducted hostages in some lean-to in the eastern third of Texas, yes, I expect the line which formed to keep building and get nasty (I think we've actually been on the very western edge of a tornado watch, but again, this is pretty much for now... when this stuff passes, that's it for that in your area).  Will almost certainly be tornadoes there and through SEC! SEC! SEC! country (pretty much now competing for the new "tornado alley" with OK and the Central Plains, especially at this time of year. 

Otherwise I think whatever you got/you're getting now/soon is it for the day.  Unless you're in Bee Cave, where it always rains.

Stay safe 

It seems like Mississippi really pissed some deity off sometime in late 2018 or early 2019. 

Edited by SimonBolivar

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

It seems like Mississippi really pissed some diety Nick Saban off sometime in late 2018 or early 2019. 

Fixed. (unless you meant someone who's trying to lose weight).

We got a few cells that still have to come thru, all this should be over in our area (eastern Travis) by about 1.  

• Like 1

It seems, and maybe one of the more astute can elaborate, that the seasonal severe weather patterns are a) over DFW b) shifted significantly north or c) shifted significantly east, which often includes some centex.

Kind of appears that we are in c) mode this year.  Unjinx, disjinx, no jinx.

Edited by TwiceHorn

4 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Fixed. (unless you meant someone who's trying to lose weight).

We got a few cells that still have to come thru, all this should be over in our area (eastern Travis) by about 1.  

North Texas looks quite clear to the west.  Is this going to be a tempest in a teapot for NTex?

It seems like Mississippi really pissed some diety off sometime in late 2018 or early 2019. 

Some of the most violent tornadoes in US history have occurred over the south including an EF5 that all but destroyed Tupelo, MS in 1936. There was also the outbreak in 2011 that destroyed Tuscaloosa and Birmingham. That super outbreak included three confirmed EF5 tornadoes.
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It seems, and maybe one of the more astute can elaborate, that the seasonal severe weather patterns are a) over DFW b) shifted significantly north or c) shifted significantly east, which often includes some centex.

Kind of appears that we are in c) mode this year.  Unjinx, disjinx, no jinx.

Factors that affect this among other things are strength of the subtropical jet.  We've had a pretty good one this spring, which has drawn a lot of small systems and cloudy days over us this spring, cutting down on earth heating and therefore severe weather conditions.  So the answer might be all of the above.  But not permanently, this year (so far). 

42 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

My understanding from our local weather guru was that if this came thru dry, which it did, then we stand a better chance of severe weather later this afternoon when the dry line backs that ass up. Hoping he was wrong.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Like 1

This is kind of bizarre.  The normally reliable NWS has been predicting shit since last night.  Granted, it was isolated or scattered shit and not necessarily in the metroplex, but there hasn't been hardly shit out west of FW in 24 hours.  Nothing but local cloud cover.  It has barely even rained.  And there's even been a Tornado Watch centered around Dallas and Tarrant counties since 2, but they recently took the western counties out of it.

7 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Wow. I was in Jasper this afternoon.

giphy.gif

Kids in Shreveport and Baton Rouge been watching this all day.  LA-MISS-AL getting pummeled this year.  The severe shit has definitely shifted to the SE in the past 10 years.  I'm thankful for that here, but we have basements to take shelter in, I think I know one guy in LA who has a basement.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

giphy.gif

Kids in Shreveport and Baton Rouge been watching this all day.  LA-MISS-AL getting pummeled this year.  The severe shit has definitely shifted to the SE in the past 10 years.  I'm thankful for that here, but we have basements to take shelter in, I think I know one guy in LA who has a basement.

Is that where is pet alligators live?

Damn.  This is from the tornado that was in SE Oklahoma.

KHOU 11 Chief Meteorologist David Paul said the storm system tracked more than 200 miles across multiple states over a six-hour period on Wednesday. The Associated Press and CBS News reported there were at least three other deaths outside of Texas, including a trailer factory worker whose body was found a quarter mile from his workplace in Marshall County in southern Oklahoma. A second death was also reported in that same county. Also, a woman was killed on a bridge in Woodworth, Louisiana, 15 miles south of Alexandria.

24 minutes ago, Hate said:

. A second death was also reported in that same county. Also, a woman was killed on a bridge in Woodworth, Louisiana, 15 miles south of Alexandria.

That was that hook echo I was talking about. Same storm that hit Jasper - kept that hook echo for over 100 miles. 

Yeah, I think it’s fairly rare for a storm to show a hook echo for over 200 miles. That was crazy to watch it progress eastward. I just kept thinking that the storm had to die down soon, but it just kept going. As bad as it was for the people in its path, thank goodness it didn’t hit any really densely populated areas.

I think that’s the tornado that tossed that guy a quarter mile. I don’t know that I can imagine anything more terrifying than being picked up by a tornado and tossed away to certain death. I hope that guy got knocked out first.

1 hour ago, Hate said:

Yeah, I think it’s fairly rare for a storm to show a hook echo for over 200 miles. That was crazy to watch it progress eastward. I just kept thinking that the storm had to die down soon, but it just kept going. As bad as it was for the people in its path, thank goodness it didn’t hit any really densely populated areas.

That specific cell continued to produce severe t-storm warnings into Mississippi, past midnight. 

https://twitter.com/HeatwaveKGNS/status/1253195398673510400?s=20

Edited by boknowstecmo
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Hate said:

I think that’s the tornado that tossed that guy a quarter mile. I don’t know that I can imagine anything more terrifying than being picked up by a tornado and tossed away to certain death. I hope that guy got knocked out first.

My mothers father lived to 85, big deal right?  He was a farmer, worked his whole life in the fields of Nebraska.  When he was mid 20's he was driving a car and a tractor hit it and caused an accident that killed his brother and brothers wife. GPA recovered in a hospital for a YEAR.  In his 40's he was in another (again with farming equipment) car accident where the steering column got pushed into his chest and caved it in, his father in law and brother in law were killed, his daughter (my aunt) was thrown from the car but she survived.  He was in the hospital for 3 months that time but walked out.

When he was 10 years old, he was an alter boy serving during a mass and a tornado hit the church.  The priest and both servers were standing together at the alter when it hit and the church collapsed in a way that it created a shelter around them and they didn't suffer any severe injuries.  Everyone was accounted for except, you guessed it, my grandfather.  It was evening time and they were unable to find him until the next morning when the sun came up.

A farmer found him lying in his field the next day, unable to walk because both his legs were broken.  He was a little over a 1/2 mile from the church.  He had no memory of anything past the sound of the tornado hitting the church/collapse.  

The last accident, had he been killed, this would still probably be written.  The other two, it wouldn't.

I didn't find out about any of this until his funeral, he did not want it discussed.

• Like 3