2020 Rain Thread

Hate

28 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Sitting on the back patio enjoying a Shiner. Agree, an amazing day. 

Happy Easter Surly. 

Had me a nice, frosty Lone Star tallboy a few minutes ago.  Watching the pork butt.  Wife is baking in the kitchen.  I’m enjoying the beautiful weather and watching Band of Brothers on my phone outside.  Dog’s laying on the ground right next to me, half asleep, half watching the birds.  What a day!  

Happy Easter gents, and ladies.  

• Like 5

I just want to put it out there that I did not junior miller my wife or myself. I did what any red blooded American would do, get the eggs out for the kids, make a bloody Mary and enjoy the day. I did jr miller several cans of Crawford bock and smoke some meats. What a shitty start to what was an amazing day.

Cheers, assholes.

On 4/12/2020 at 8:20 PM, Shoxthemonkey said:

Yeah. This after I and a couple hundred neighbors took golf ball hail yesterday. Adjusters are gonna be busy checking roofs the next couple of weeks. Pretty sure mine is toast.

You must be in eastern KS?  Didn't get much at all in Wichita, just a little rain and a whole lotta cold.  

These next two weeks are historically the deadliest so keep your eyes peeled fellas

Marion, Chase county area. The storm blew up right over my place and got much stronger as it moved east. Neighbors and I were getting ready to burn our adjoining pastures when it started to sprinkle. Never lit a match and 30 minutes later we had hail and more than an inch of rain . Just got back to the garage before the big stuff fell.

22 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Also, safe rooms seem like a good investment.

And they can be retrofitted.  The times as a kid that we lived in other parts of Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas, my parents always made sure we had a storm shelter of some sort nearby.  And this was back when you relied on that little Radio Shack weather radio to wake you up in the middle of the night.   Well, that and tornado sirens.   

18 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

Somewhere between those is what we had a year ago did almost 30k damage to the roof.   Sounds like you're getting a new roof.

Yeah, we've communicated (he's not in Texas, FYI).  That hail in his area is larger than anything I've come across since Amarillo 16 years ago.

Could definitely use PhDhorn's expertise.  This system hitting Austin?...it's not coming until tonight (4/21), right?  Nothing this afternoon?  Thanks!

Coming back in to say I'm not coming back in for this because it ain't going to happen here.

BTW I like that second map above, "potential too low."  Seems like they're pissed off about it. Too low? Lol what does that even mean?  "C'mon man, we need to get it higher so people can lose all the worldly goods!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That’s a link to the 4 day outlook. When I posted it, the 4 day outlook was for this system that just passed us on Sunday. The links I posted above will be for Friday when they refresh at 2am tomorrow morning.

Edit: look a the valid dates of the graphic and that will tell you the valid dates for the forecast

Never really minded storms  but after that June 9th shit show in Dallas last year that ended up flooding my house followed by the Tornado in October that was heading right at us before taking a turn north (and missing us by a couple of miles) major PTSD when I see the severe storm forecasts.    This is the last thing anyone needs to deal with during a damn pandemic so hopefully nothing major today.

8 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Never really minded storms  but after that June 9th shit show in Dallas last year that ended up flooding my house followed by the Tornado in October that was heading right at us before taking a turn north (and missing us by a couple of miles) major PTSD when I see the severe storm forecasts.    This is the last thing anyone needs to deal with during a damn pandemic so hopefully nothing major today.

As someone who has watched storms pretty carefully over the years, I think maybe we can hope that you (and I) are statistically eliminated from further disaster for a while.

My Dad photographed the 1957 Dallas tornado from the Republic Bank building.  We had a small one come down NW Hwy in the early 70s.

My aunt and grandmother survived the Wichita Falls tornado, but my cousin's house was destroyed.

We have a couple of little scares in Dallas every 3-4 years.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Back to say:  1) Yep, rained hard over my house. I've had about 349 inches since January.  You guys?  2) I said essentially severe weather wasn't going to happen in our immediate Austin area, which it won't.  But just east of us and into E and NE Texas, it likely will.  So if you live or have abducted hostages in some lean-to in the eastern third of Texas, yes, I expect the line which formed to keep building and get nasty (I think we've actually been on the very western edge of a tornado watch, but again, this is pretty much for now... when this stuff passes, that's it for that in your area).  Will almost certainly be tornadoes there and through SEC! SEC! SEC! country (pretty much now competing for the new "tornado alley" with OK and the Central Plains, especially at this time of year. 

Otherwise I think whatever you got/you're getting now/soon is it for the day.  Unless you're in Bee Cave, where it always rains.

Stay safe 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1