Dallas Cowboys 2018 offseason thread

DougO

Not good. Both of his feet seem like they suck.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported it's a broken foot and that a recovery timetable is not known at this time. ESPN's Todd Archer added that the lineman will need surgery to repair a fractured fifth metatarsal in his left foot.

Collins suffered a broken right foot during organized team activities as a rookie two summers ago and required surgery. He also underwent surgery on his left foot in January to address a stress reaction that lingered throughout last season.

His surgery four months ago was not expected to affect his offseason availability—but now he will need another procedure.

Edited by DougO

On 4/28/2018 at 2:04 PM, Patrick Bateman said:

Yep.....

So first he's a RB..... then Stephen makes up a word and calls him a web back, whatever the fuck that is, and says he's going to get the ball a dozen to two dozen times.  That's one of the dumber things said this season.  Now.... he's back to being a WR first!

I'm joking obviously and it feels like they envision Austin being like Lucky and Dunbar all in one, but it's funny to see how they trip all over the dicks trying to communicate why they traded for him and what his role may be.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

So first he's a RB..... then Stephen makes up a word and calls him a web back, whatever the fuck that is, and says he's going to get the ball a dozen to two dozen times.  That's one the dumber things said.  Now.... he's back to being a WR first!

I'm joking obviously and it feels like they envision Austin being like Lucky and Dunbar all in one, but it's funny to see how they trip all over the dicks trying to communicate why they traded for him and what his role may be.

clown show...two dozen touches...web back ....Linehan...receiver....clown show

If I gleaned anything from All or Nothing it's a deeper sense of despair in being reminded that Jerry Jones runs this thing like his own family grocery store and no coach or team will likely ever win it all under those circumstances. It would take such a ridiculously disciplined set of 53 players and coaching staff to drown out that idiot's noise that it is not likely to happen. 

23 minutes ago, In10se said:

If I gleaned anything from All or Nothing it's a deeper sense of despair in being reminded that Jerry Jones runs this thing like his own family grocery store and no coach or team will likely ever win it all under those circumstances. It would take such a ridiculously disciplined set of 53 players and coaching staff to drown out that idiot's noise that it is not likely to happen. 

All the hope I had that Stephen would be different in this area than his father were quickly extinguished when I saw Stephen sitting there right beside Jerry in the weekly coaches meetings. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 1

Yeah how the fuck does Stephen and Jerry have better seats in the coaches meetings with Garrett than the actual coaches? That sums up this franchise and why we are what we are. Starts right there. 

And Jerry and his family sitting at the table discussing the franchise like its some local grocery store. Ridiculous. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yeah how the fuck does Stephen and Jerry have better seats in the coaches meetings with Garrett than the actual coaches? That sums up this franchise and why we are what we are. Starts right there. 

And Jerry and his family sitting at the table discussing the franchise like its some local grocery store. Ridiculous. 

three world titles hand delivered by jerry.  three. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Ok? Those are over 2 decades old. And Jimmy Johnson was the mastermind behind that run. Jerry knew that and his ego would not allow it.

My statement is why the franchise is what it is today. Not what happened in the mid 90s.

easy, killer.  just fucking with you.  

8 hours ago, In10se said:

Not sure if i should rep or not :(

11 hours ago, In10se said:

did you like those three super bowls?  I hope you did.  I hope you did very much.  

17 hours ago, michaelpshayes said:

clown show...two dozen touches...web back ....Linehan...receiver....clown show

Unfortunately, this is true. If these same words/messages came from the Patriots, I’d be excited (if I was a fan) because I would trust them to use him creatively. 

As a Cowboys fan, I have no such trust. Just looks messy and probably is. 

On 5/13/2018 at 11:46 AM, Gucci_Suit said:

Unfortunately, this is true. If these same words/messages came from the Patriots, I’d be excited (if I was a fan) because I would trust them to use him creatively. 

As a Cowboys fan, I have no such trust. Just looks messy and probably is. 

I’d agree too, except for the fact that’s Linehan has not only used a player like Austin exactly as they’re describing before, but also used them very well. Not just in Dallas(Lucky/Dunbar) but also in detroit. Go check out Bob Sturms article about it. 

But at the end of the day, we’re making too much about this. His biggest role will be a speed decoy to get Zeke more open lanes going the opposite way.  People getting way too worked up over a guy that added for a 6th round pick. 

• Like 2

I'm still rooting for Garrett to prove us all wrong. I really like the guy. He's got the kind of personality and temperament I like in a head coach. I think his players play for him. They just haven't been good at getting the right combination on the field and executing a game plan superior to the opposing competition. It's just a study in mediocrity and predictability. I will be sad the day he finally gets fired, but partially because I know the next hire will probably be worse. At least Garrett is a class guy.

Edited by DougO

I'm still rooting for Garrett to prove us all wrong. I really like the guy. He's got the kind of personality and temperament I like in a head coach. I think his players play for him. They just haven't been good at getting the right combination on the field and executing a game plan superior to the opposing competition. It's just a study in mediocrity and predictability. I will be sad the day he finally gets fired, but partially because I know the next hire will probably be worse. At least Garrett is a class guy.
A big problem seems to be he has a set gameplan he wants his players to follow and he never adjusts accordingly. Instead of catering to their needs and strengths, he makes them conform to his plan and tells them to figure it out.

If you weren't going to get rid of Garrett, they should have at least brought in a new OC to work with Dak as they are seemingly remaking this offense to cater to him.

On 5/12/2018 at 4:38 PM, Patrick Bateman said:

So first he's a RB..... then Stephen makes up a word and calls him a web back, whatever the fuck that is, and says he's going to get the ball a dozen to two dozen times.  That's one of the dumber things said this season.  Now.... he's back to being a WR first!

They only used a 6th rounder so it's not like they have to justify much.  The responses the Jones have given were primarily due to the questions they were asked.  I don't care what they call him, they do seem to have a plan for him.

Some are thinking it's unlikely Chaz Green even makes the team, wonder if they can hype him up and get a trade for him.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/5/17/17358304/what-should-the-dallas-cowboys-do-with-chaz-green-this-season

Almost a year ago now we were talking about how the Cowboys were experimenting with Chaz Green at left guard. That experiment failed miserably, as we all know.

The former Florida offensive tackle was heralded by many when Dallas picked him in the third round three years ago. He had a resumé that was worth believing in.

In 556 snaps last season at Florida, #Cowboys 3rd-rounder Chaz Green didn't allow a sack and had no holding or falst start penalties.

— Gil Brandt (@Gil_Brandt) May 15, 2015

Green is entering the final year of his rookie deal this season. At this point if we’re to guess whether he’ll be back on the team in 2019, well, it doesn’t feel safe. Part of the problem is we don’t even know what the Cowboys have planned for Chaz this season.

The guard experiment failed. Moving Chaz back to tackle failed. Which position will he play? For what it’s worth, the mothership lists him as a guard/tackle on the official team website. This hardly is cemented truth, but is it really that far off?

In terms of the offensive line the Cowboys have their five starters: Tyron Smith, Connor Williams, Travis Frederick, Zack Martin, and La’el Collins. Cameron Fleming makes more than logical sense as the primary swing tackle, Marcus Martin is solid guard depth, and Joe Looney has center/guard flexibility to back up multiple positions.

This gives us eight offensive lineman, Dallas carried eight into last season, plus that number is conventional and makes sense. Is Chaz Green just kind of strolling along right now?

Try as you might, you can’t justify Chaz Green over any of the eight listed names. He seems to be up a creek without a paddle, and it might just be a matter of time before he’s released.

Dallas could be carrying Chaz Green for now in the event of an injury or other unforeseen circumstance during the lead-up to this season, but does he have some worth to another NFL team? Anyone? Bueller?

As crazy as it sounds, Chaz has starting experience under his belt as a tackle in the NFL. He obviously also has what happened in Atlanta on his resumé, but considering how shallow many offensive lines are around the league somebody has to want that experience, right?

It’s probably impractical to assume anyone could trade anything for Chaz Green. He seems to be in a bit of purgatory with the talent ahead of him, but we’ll see what happens between now and the beginning of the season.

Bravo for T.O. calling out our clown head coach. But since it is T.O., people will dismiss it. But he knows first hand how bad Garrett is. Not from a head coach perspective but from a coaching perspective in general.

Former Cowboys wide receiver Terrell Owens pulled no punches when talking about coach Jason Garrett in a recent interview.

In talking with 105.3 The Fan's K&C Masterpiece [KRLD-FM] on Wednesday evening, Owens said he finds it "mind-boggling" that Garrett remains at the helm of the Cowboys.

Here are some highlights from the interview.

On Garrett:

"At the end at the day, how can you keep allowing the players to be the scapegoat for what's not happening, especially when you have a head coach that's supposed to be offensive-minded? They're supposed to direct and lead the team to where it hasn't gotten in a number of years, and they've pretty much been in a standstill under coach Jason Garrett."

How do you think the blame avoids Garrett?

"I have no idea. You know what's really tough? When you really look at it, it doesn't make sense for Jason Garrett to continue to have his job. [The organization is] not really expanding or progressing even as a team under his coaching tenure there. 

"Let's bring up basketball for a minute. Here you have Dwane Casey of the Toronto Raptors. This guy was voted unanimously coach of the year, has taken Toronto to the playoffs, had three straight years of 50-plus wins and then they don't make it beyond what the expectations are within that organization and he gets fired. And then you have Jason Garrett who has no accomplishments not even close to that and he continues to still have a job. 

"It all boils down to players being the scapegoat for his inability to lead the team as he should. For me it's mind-boggling. I don't understand. And I think Jerry [Jones] -- again he's the owner at the end of the day, he has to feel good with himself about the decisions -- but I just don't understand why this guy [Garrett] still has a job."

Who's the better coach: Andy Reid or Jason Garrett?

"That's a slam dunk. Andy Reid is by far the best coach that I've had. And I say that because he realized the talent that I had and he utilized me to the best of my abilities. 

"There was no ego when I went to the Philadelphia Eagles despite whatever the media portrayal was of me. I wasn't selfish by any means. Sometimes yeah, I was selfish to a degree that if I know what I can provide and I know what I can do to a defender or a defense to help us win, then yeah why wouldn't I be selfish? Some of the greatests have been said to be selfish. 

"I realize what presence that I presented with and without the ball. And that's what a lot of people didn't know about me. Internally there are coaches that knew that about me, and I felt like even with this whole Hall of Fame stuff [the debate about whether Owens belongs in the Hall amid all the reported locker-room strife] that went about, those should have been the guys that really stood on the platform to dispel some of the notions that I divided the locker room or I was an issue here and there. 

"But other than that, I knew what I provided. I knew my skill set, and Andy Reid utilized me to the best of my ability. I was playing lights out when I played for Philadelphia. If I would have continued to play there, there's no telling what my statistics would have been at the end of my career."

You can listen to the full interview in the link.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2018/05/17/terrell-owens-cowboys-coach-jason-garrett-just-dont-understand-guy-still-job

2 hours ago, Viper said:

Some are thinking it's unlikely Chaz Green even makes the team, wonder if they can hype him up and get a trade for him.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/5/17/17358304/what-should-the-dallas-cowboys-do-with-chaz-green-this-season

Restocking sodas in the soda machine for a year???

5 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

The term 'web back' makes me uncomfortable. Have to be careful pronouncing that haha

of all the dumb shit I've heard spill out of those Arkansas hillbilly's mouth, that one irritates me more than most ....it's like those diarrhea brains heard a new word from that colossal moron Linehan ..thought it sounded cool.... and now they're going use it even though it's just fucking made up ...clowns 

Edited by michaelpshayes

9 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

A big problem seems to be he has a set gameplan he wants his players to follow and he never adjusts accordingly. Instead of catering to their needs and strengths, he makes them conform to his plan and tells them to figure it out.

If you weren't going to get rid of Garrett, they should have at least brought in a new OC to work with Dak as they are seemingly remaking this offense to cater to him.

Absolutely. The only way Garrett is going to succeed is with great minds running the offense and defense. Marinelli, does some good things, but also gives me some doubt. I fear he's outdated as a DC. So we have the new secondary coach now that maybe breathes some fresh life into it..maybe. 

I haven't seen anything encouraging from Linehan since his first season when they went run heavy. And I sure don't see Kellen Moore transforming Dak into Tom Brady anytime soon.