Dallas Cowboys 2018 offseason thread

DougO

Irving is still absent. The players are confused too but are trying to help him.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article212569259.html

FRISCO 

When Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle David Irving initially signed his $2.91 million restricted free agent tender and was present for the first day of the off-season, it appeared to be a sign of progress.

Was Irving finally ready to put all the questions about his lack of focus and commitment behind him, setting the stage for a big season in 2018?

Unrestricted free agency and a lucrative contract as one of the top tackles on the market should have been incentive enough.

Well, that was before he sporadically showed up for the remaining portions of the off-season program and has been held out of OTAs to get in shape, according to Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett.

That was also before he was accused of domestic violence by a former girlfriend, who has since recanted. The incident prompted a Frisco police investigation.

But that's allegedly over.

The Cowboys are now in their third week of OTAs. Not only is Irving still not on the field, he has largely not been around.

According to a source, Irving has been around the Cowboys “getting himself in shape” only just a “couple of times” since the start of OTAs.

Thus Irving remains an enigma of sorts for the Cowboys.

No one is panicking, because OTAs are “voluntary” workouts. But it's also duly noted that everyone else on the roster is there, whether they are participating or not.

His teammates remain supportive. They know he has a different, albeit mercurial, personality. But they are understandably perplexed.

“David is David,” defensive end Tyrone Crawford said. ”Everybody knows David. That’s the dinosaur right there. We are trying to figure him out, too, and get him right. He is too big of a talent not to be on the field.”

While the coaches and front office staff are continually frustrated with Irving, the players are trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, because they know when he is around and he is right, he is one of the best at what he does.

Remember, Irving had seven sacks in eight games last year. But also remember, he played in only eight games, missing the first four due to an NFL suspension for taking a banned substance. He missed the last four because of a concussion.

It all has the Cowboys wondering whether he is willing to work hard and do whatever it takes to maximize his enormous potential.

5 hours ago, Viper said:

Irving is still absent. The players are confused too but are trying to help him.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article212569259.html

IMG_6770.jpg

not sure I understand the logic of excoriating the media for not telling the truth, then admitting they might not know the truth, and then refusing to tell them or us what the truth actually is.

21 minutes ago, Viper said:

IMG_6770.jpg

not sure I understand the logic of excoriating the media for not telling the truth, then admitting they might not know the truth, and then refusing to tell them or us what the truth actually is.

Dude has been listening too much to our President.

5 hours ago, Viper said:

IMG_6770.jpg

Sounds like he's dealing with a mental health thing, which if true is great that he's worrying about that first instead of football.

• Like 1

I'm sure that commie Goodell already has the NFL official statement prepared about why there will be no suspension.

Chiefs Pro Bowl running back Kareem Hunt was allegedly involved in an altercation over the weekend, reportedly punching a man in the face at an Ohio resort.

According to TMZ Sports, the incident took place at the Bay Lodging Resort in Put-in-Bay, Ohio, where Hunt was hanging out all weekend. Sources told TMZ a verbal altercation took place between Hunt and alleged victim, ending with Hunt punching the man in the face.

A resort official confirmed to TMZ there was an incident involving Hunt and the alleged victim, but the outlet reported Hunt was not arrested. 

The Chiefs had no comment on the report, according to the Kansas City Star.

This isn't the first time Hunt has been in the news for some sort of altercation. Back in February, Hunt was accused of shoving a woman at a hotel after she allegedly directed racial slurs toward him.

A third-round draft pick of the Chiefs in 2017, Hunt led the NFL in rushing yards (1,327) last season.

This might be the reason or at least part of the reason Irving is still out.

https://1053thefan.radio.com/articles/battling-physical-emotional-issues-david-irving-still-not-cowboys-ota

Irving, a potential break-out player launching into a contract year (starting with his having signed the second-round tender that will pay him $2.91 million) is, in short, not in shape physically, emotionally or mentally.

Irving is trying to escape a turbulent offseason that's included a false accusation of domestic violence from his girlfriend, the breakup of that relationship and what amounts to a custody battle involving his 5-year-old daughter Zoe - needs both.

“I just want peace,” Irving recently told me. “Peace for me to be able to do my job and get on with my life. And mostly, peace for Zoe.”

He also needs to get himself in physical shape. The 6' 7" Irving wants to play at around 295 pounds. Not long ago he admitted to me he was 12 to 15 pounds heavier than that, and he may be worse off now.

The Cowboys have a concern that participating in the demands of OTAs might represent an injury risk for someone not in the right condition. Meanwhile, my sense is that Irving himself might not want to be on the field while performing far below optimal level.

Edited by Viper

There's always at least one ridiculous self-inflicted issue with a player on this team. 
If he can't get his shit together in a contract year, it's never gonna happen. All he had to do was show up in shape and get to work. 7-10 sacks probably would have gotten him 9-10 a year. 
Agreed. It's not a Dallas off-season without a story like this. And someone getting arrested.

On 6/6/2018 at 5:50 PM, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Sounds like he's dealing with a mental health thing, which if true is great that he's worrying about that first instead of football.

Agreed, seeing as how the Anthony Bourdian issue came out of nowhere, as a watcher of his shows, I never would have assumed mental health problems, so good for #95...

4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
3 hours ago, C-Man said:
Earl Thomas officially holding out. Let’s get this done.

What would it take to get him at this point?

Next year's 2nd would totally be worth it. We all know they'll revert back to the mean and draft an injured/risky player. 

A third might do it the longer this goes. Seattle has no leverage at this point. Thomas is such a crazy and passionate guy, there's no point in fucking with him. 

I'm down for a 2nd round pick. He'd be an immediate impact upgrade and would solidify our back end of our defense. Legion of Boom would not be what it was about Earl. He's better than any 2nd round pick they could get in terms of immediate impact..

A 3rd would be fantastic value.

3 hours ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Next year's 2nd would totally be worth it. We all know they'll revert back to the mean and draft an injured/risky player. 

A third might do it the longer this goes. Seattle has no leverage at this point. Thomas is such a crazy and passionate guy, there's no point in fucking with him. 

Agreed. Would love to get it for a 3rd but would go 2nd to make the deal happen.

• Like 1

They seem to like Frazier in that role, for whatever reason, so not sure they'll give up too much for ET.  Also, would they have cap space for ET, Tank and Martin?

Sounds like Rico is 4th in the TE rotation.  Swaim steady with Jarwin gaining ground.

http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cowboys/post/_/id/4766729/as-minicamp-begins-dak-prescotts-leadership-on-full-display

39 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

They seem to like Frazier in that role, for whatever reason, so not sure they'll give up too much for ET.  Also, would they have cap space for ET, Tank and Martin?

Sounds like Rico is 4th in the TE rotation.  Swaim steady with Jarwin gaining ground.

http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cowboys/post/_/id/4766729/as-minicamp-begins-dak-prescotts-leadership-on-full-display

Cap space won't be a problem. They'll have about $64 mil + $5-10 mil of 2018 carryover. The new deals can also be structured to minimize the 2019 hit if needed. 

• Like 1

Woah, I bet that feels good to say after all the years of being in cap hell. 
It really does. Now let's see if they keep it that way. It's like someone spending years to get out of debt and then going back to their old ways that got them there.

They cleared all those shitty contacts off the books. Moved on from the stale Romo, Witten, Dez era. It's now time for the Dak and Zeke era with these new and hungry TEs and Wrs. No divas at the moment.

we’re not paying collins in peanuts either
How many Super Bowl winners have the so called Great Wall on the OL? I know every team is different. And our identity is our run game and OL. But it's still a big investment into one position. I still think it's the right thing to do. Martin is one of the best OL in the league and one of our leaders.

I think that's valid, but outside of the Patriots the SB winners seem to be a mixed bag of different unique situations.  I think it just shows that the NFL parity just breeds situations where there is always a 'that fucking team' out there, and there is no formula to being that team. 

29 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
43 minutes ago, futureman said:
we’re not paying collins in peanuts either

How many Super Bowl winners have the so called Great Wall on the OL? I know every team is different. And our identity is our run game and OL. But it's still a big investment into one position. I still think it's the right thing to do. Martin is one of the best OL in the league and one of our leaders.

I still firmly believe you win championships in the NFL starting on both lines -- putting pressure on the QB on one side and protecting him on the other. We still don't really know if we have the answer at QB but we've got a top 3 RB, a terrific OL and are (hopefully) building out the defense. I like what they're doing honestly aside from a few blips here and there.

Edited by C-Man
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I think that's valid, but outside of the Patriots the SB winners seem to be a mixed bag of different unique situations.  I think it just shows that the NFL parity just breeds situations where there is always a 'that fucking team' out there, and there is no formula to being that team. 

That is true. Unlike the NBA where you need x number of superstars to win and that is really the only formula to get a title, there are different ways to do it in the NFL. And I know the salary will continue to rise over the years so that will offset these big contracts. Tyron definitely worries me, though. Back problems never get better. 

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

I still firmly believe you win championships in the NFL starting on both lines -- putting pressure on the QB on one side and protecting him on the other. We still don't really know if we have the answer at QB but we've got a top 3 RB, a terrific OL and are (hopefully) building out the defense. I like what they're doing honestly aside from a few blips here and there.

Agreed.  It beats the old formula of doing a half ass job of addressing multiple units, only to have none of them elite.  Now, we at least have an elite offensive line for the foreseeable future.

On 6/10/2018 at 4:50 PM, Vic Mackey said:

I'm down for a 2nd round pick. He'd be an immediate impact upgrade and would solidify our back end of our defense. Legion of Boom would not be what it was about Earl. He's better than any 2nd round pick they could get in terms of immediate impact..

A 3rd would be fantastic value.

Other than the fact he is wanting Berry money on his extension.

Edited by Brew

It's worth it if he can still play at his level. It's not a bad contact if he comes in and does what is expected. He solidifies a defense and would make this secondary much better by him being there. And it had a trickle effect towards to the front end of the defense.

you have to have a great OL if you are going to run the Dallas offense.  the only way you can win with an average OL is if you have a Brady that can get rid of the ball quickly and an offense that features a quick passing game...

we have seen at UT how hard it is to run any kind of offense with a bad OL, i applaud the cowboys for this move with martin...

Edited by Mileslong

Irving and Tapper are back. 

Van der Esch is still being held out, along with L.P. Ladouceur, Deonte Thompson, Maliek Collins, and Lewis Neal. Apparently it’s an achilles and shoulder problem for Deonte.

Deonte Thompson is being held out with achilles and shoulder shoulder issues

— Clarence Hill Jr (@clarencehilljr) June 12, 2018

Irving and Tapper are back. 
Van der Esch is still being held out, along with L.P. Ladouceur, Deonte Thompson, Maliek Collins, and Lewis Neal. Apparently it’s an achilles and shoulder problem for Deonte.
Deonte Thompson is being held out with achilles and shoulder shoulder issues
— Clarence Hill Jr (@clarencehilljr) June 12, 2018
What's up with Vander Esch?

19 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
21 hours ago, Brew said:

It's worth it if he can still play at his level. It's not a bad contact if he comes in and does what is expected. He solidifies a defense and would make this secondary much better by him being there. And it had a trickle effect towards to the front end of the defense.

Agreed. See if he'll take a shorter deal than Berry but at Berry-level comp. If he can give you great play in this next 2-3 year window, I think you have to take the chance.

• Like 1

more details on Gregory. It's pretty encouraging that he's passed daily drug tests for the past 6 months.

https://sports.yahoo.com/source-randy-gregorys-nfl-reinstatement-rogers-hands-230002082.html

According to a league source briefed on the meeting with Goodell, Gregory’s reinstatement application included furnishing results from an intensively documented six-month rehabilitation regimen that would typically cost upward of $250,000. The source said Gregory’s documentation included daily drug testing, counseling and an intensive two-month inpatient treatment program that provided an initial push for Gregory’s trek back to the NFL.

“It’s been eight months getting to this point,” the source said of Gregory’s reinstatement application. “I think the light came on several months ago for Randy that this is it. This is probably his last chance to get this right.”

According to the source briefed on the application, Gregory’s representatives provided the NFL with “five to six boxes” of information and letters from counselors and others who have supported Gregory’s effort – most notably, six straight months of daily drug tests Gregory has passed dating back to December 2017. The presentation also included a plan outlining a structure that would keep Gregory on track if he were to be reinstated to the league, and the source added that he’s expected to begin football-specific training with former Oakland Raiders defensive end Greg Townsend in the coming weeks.

The Dallas Cowboys weren’t on hand for Tuesday’s meeting with Goodell, but the source said the team is being kept abreast of Gregory’s progress as well as any developments with the league.

Goodell meeting a good sign for Gregory

Whether the intensive pitch will be enough to sway Goodell to grant a reinstatement remains to be seen. But the fact that the commissioner took a face-to-face meeting with Gregory in New York could be seen as a positive sign – particularly considering it was pushed up to take place before the league’s summer lull, when most executives take time off prior to training camps opening in July.

That said, the source who spoke with Yahoo Sports urged caution that the meeting with Goodell is more of a “first step” with the league that begins a process of reinstatement – and not necessarily a capping moment that ends the process.

“It’s in Roger’s hands and it could take some time,” the source said of the commissioner. “Having Randy back with [the Cowboys] for training camp would be a great thing, but there’s really no timetable. That’s up to Roger.”

Josh Gordon went through similar process

Gregory’s reinstatement could ultimately depend on conditions laid out by the commissioner, who had multiple meetings over several years with Cleveland Browns wideout Josh Gordon before finally conditionally reinstating him to the NFL in November 2017. But that came only after Goodell had denied Gordon’s reinstatement request six months earlier, stressing the need to see Gordon continue his commitment to sobriety and making more progress in his effort. Following that six months, Goodell met with Gordon again and granted his request for reinstatement. Given that previous precedent, it’s possible that Goodell will ask Gregory for another sustained period of progress before ultimately granting his return.

Dallas Cowboys playing the waiting game

For the Cowboys, Gregory’s availability is little more than a pipe dream until it actually materializes. His failure of multiple drug tests resulted in him missing the majority of the past two seasons, effectively rendering him back to square one from a developmental standpoint. He’s also arguably further behind than incoming rookies, who have been in the building working since April and who were also playing on a field competitively only months ago.

“I just think you try to find out where he is,” Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said. “He has been here [in the past]. I think he understands how we want to do things. So it’s not like it’s a new guy who’s walking in the door. You use that history, but at the same time, you kind of get him caught up. You do make sure you emphasize the conditioning, the fundamentals, all the basic things of football that you really try to do with your team every year, and make sure whatever situation you put him in, he’s able to handle it physically.”

“I think the first [thing] with him, get him in a stance and get him going,” defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli said. “He’s been off for a long time. He’s talented, no question. He’s a great guy and he’s smart. But the No. 1 thing we’ve got to do is just groove him back in, groove him back in before I start setting standards for him and goals. Let’s just get him in a stance, start teaching him the game of football. Because like I say, if you don’t play for three or four months – a year, it’s not the same, the timing. So I’m just excited to get a chance to work with him again.”

o

Edited by Viper