Dallas Cowboys 2018 offseason thread

DougO

I'm wondering what Gregory will be able to give us. He has the raw talent but obviously was not serious about laying off the weed to give us anything. When he was on the field, you could see the promise. Won't get my hopes up but if he can contribute, that will help out our DL. But anytime I buy into these players and hope they have turned the corner, they prove me wrong every single time.

25 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

crazy how large of a person rico is. 

I really hope this staff sees the potential we have with him. Spare me that he might not be able to block or whatever. Who cares. Put him out there a receiver. Let another TE block if that is what you value so greatly. I am not saying he will be great but there is definitely potential if we actually give him a chance. But if we want another Witten clone, well yeah, he won't be that. But this offense would benefit from a TE the opposite of Witten. Stretch the field and open and soften the defenses up. Will benefit everyone. 

24 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I really hope this staff sees the potential we have with him. Spare me that he might not be able to block or whatever. Who cares. Put him out there a receiver. Let another TE block if that is what you value so greatly. I am not saying he will be great but there is definitely potential if we actually give him a chance. But if we want another Witten clone, well yeah, he won't be that. But this offense would benefit from a TE the opposite of Witten. Stretch the field and open and soften the defenses up. Will benefit everyone. 

4th string TE really has become the backup QB of Dallas now. Dude is athletic..has football knowledge of a guy who played last when he was 13. Trust the coaches or not, if he cannot run the plays or adjustments or the scheme then he is just an athletic guy who is not a football player. 

Edited by txbroadcaster

4 minutes ago, txbroadcaster said:

4th string TE really has become the backup QB of Dallas now. Dude is athletic..has football knowledge of a guy who played last when he was 13. Trust the coaches or not, if he cannot run the plays or adjustments or the scheme then he is just an athletic guy who is not a football player. 

2mzz34h.jpg

1 minute ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I don't trust the coaches, but my measuring stick for their ability isn't based on Rico Gathers being productive.

And that I get and I agree on some and disagree on others....but this whole Rico is some amazing TE that is being held down because of coaches is where I just SMH. 

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

1 hour ago, txbroadcaster said:

And that I get and I agree on some and disagree on others....but this whole Rico is some amazing TE that is being held down because of coaches is where I just SMH. 

There is no potential out there in football that fans are able to see and coaches are unable to see. Some of y'all gotta get that ridiculous thought of your heads.

He'll get a chance to show what potential he has in practice, and in preseason. If he shows enough, he'll play in the regular season. End of story. If he doesn't play in the regular season, it's not because the coaches hate him or are idiots and can't see his greatness. It's because he hasn't proven it when you prove it to earn playing time.

Yes, some players leave and then blossom. I attribute that more to coaches getting more out of guys and coaching guys more successfully than somehow overlooking a guy's ability.

3 minutes ago, TornACL said:

There is no potential out there in football that fans are able to see and coaches are unable to see. Some of y'all gotta get that ridiculous thought of your heads.

He'll get a chance to show what potential he has in practice, and in preseason. If he shows enough, he'll play in the regular season. End of story. If he doesn't play in the regular season, it's not because the coaches hate him or are idiots and can't see his greatness. It's because he hasn't proven it when you prove it to earn playing time.

Yes, some players leave and then blossom. I attribute that more to coaches getting more out of guys and coaching guys more successfully than somehow overlooking a guy's ability.

except you’re just a dumb fan so what the fuck do you know?

5 players everyone knew would become Cowboys, but never did

Loved this excerpt on Randy Moss

Back then, the Cowboys would tape their draft meetings to allow them to review what they thought of players to keep scouts and coaches from having selective memory when it came to who did or did not like whom.

According to several people involved in the process, it was clear head coach Chan Gailey and wide receivers coach Dwain Painter did not want Moss. The off-field concerns were too much. The Cowboys had also had issues with players such as Michael Irvin and Erik Williams.

As the discussion kept slanting against Moss, Jim Garrett, the longtime Cowboys scout and father to current head coach Jason Garrett, had enough. He stood up and plainly let his voice be heard.

“Men, this is not the Boy Scouts we’re dealing with,” the elder Garrett reminded the room. “This is pro football. Draft him.”

Said Jones, “He’s legendary for having said that. And he said it like he was Billy Graham.”

But the conversation clearly wasn’t enough to sway the overall vote, as the Cowboys decided to draft solid yet not inspiring defensive end Greg Ellis.

On the visit, players met with the coaches and coordinators, went over the schemes and got a feel for one another. Then there was a meeting with Jones.

“It’s the guys they’re serious about drafting, and Jerry told all of us, ‘If you’re there, there’s a great possibility we’re going to get you,’” Ellis said. “I guess Randy took that and ran all the way home with it. Understand there were 19 others there for a visit for a reason, so they could get them, too.”

But Moss’ trip was a little different. He hung out with Deion Sanders at the cornerback’s home, further convincing him that he would soon be wearing the star on the side of his helmet. Moss, now an ESPN analyst, declined to comment for this story, but before playing the Cowboys for a final time in 2010, he said he “always carries a certain chip on my shoulder for the Cowboys.”

“The love that I received and the conversations that I had for those 48 hours had me believing that I was going to be a Dallas Cowboy up until draft day,” Moss recalled in 2010.

Oops.

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

ESPN.com thinks the Cowboys will win one of the next three SB's -- and the Eagles won't.

3. The Dallas Cowboys win one of the next three Super Bowls.

It just feels as if people are sleeping on a team that went 9-7 last year while its best player/key to the offense was suspended for six games. Assuming Ezekiel Elliott plays all 16 games, there's no reason not to like the Cowboys as 2018 contenders. And with their dominant offensive line all under contract and Dak Prescott still on his rookie deal at quarterback, there's no reason to think there's any major drop-off coming in the short term.

4. The Philadelphia Eagles won't.

This is nothing against the Eagles, who should have a very good team again and stand as a legitimate threat to become the first repeat NFC East champion since 2003-04. This is just to make a point about how hard it is to repeat and sustain the kind of success Philadelphia had last year. In 18 NFL seasons since the turn of the millennium, there have been 12 different NFC champions. Of those, the only one that has returned to the Super Bowl within three years is the Seattle Seahawks, who played in back-to-back Super Bowls following the 2013 and 2014 seasons. Carson Wentz is a young superstar quarterback, the roster is well-built and well-coached, and if there's a team built to buck history, this could well be it. But it's really hard to buck that kind of history.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24059595/25-nfl-predictions-2021-leveon-bell-future-dallas-cowboys-win-super-bowl-next-three-seasons-more

On 7/17/2018 at 11:06 PM, Catdaddyhorn said:

Deion Sanders's interference and influence on anything related to football, prospects, kids, education, or human beings in general should have ended long ago. Yet here he is one of the official faces of the NFL on their network, a total embarrassment.

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Deion Sanders's interference and influence on anything related to football, prospects, kids, education, or human beings in general should have ended long ago. Yet here he is one of the official faces of the NFL on their network, a total embarrassment.

being the best and fastest cover corner in the history of the sport will allow you some credibility you wouldn’t otherwise have.  my best guess. 

1 hour ago, futureman said:

being the best and fastest cover corner in the history of the sport will allow you some credibility you wouldn’t otherwise have.  my best guess. 

It doesn't keep him from being a total piece of shit, which he is.

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

I won’t enroll my kid in a school until I’ve made the principal run the 40 and do the broad jump and 3 cone drill.  Credibility is earned with me.

And I'm sure spending a couple of hours chatting with Deion will get my 40 time under 4.5.

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Former Cowboys assistant coach Tony Sporano had passed away this morning. I think he was currently the Vikings OL coach?

Yep. Just 56 years old.

He was the head coach of the most recent non-Patriots team to win the AFC East, the 2008 Dolphins.

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Yep. Just 56 years old.

He was the head coach of the most recent non-Patriots team to win the AFC East, the 2008 Dolphins.

I forgot he was the head coach for them that season. Last time Miami made the playoffs as well? Unless I am forgetting another appearance. 

QB (3) Dak, Rush, White

HB (4) Zeke, Austin, R Smith, Scarborough

FB (1) Olawale

WR (6) T Williams, Hurns, Beasley, Gallup, Thompson, N Brown

TE (4) Jarwin, Swaim, Rico, Schulz

T (3) Tyron, La'el, Fleming

G (3) C Williams, Z Martin, Looney

C (2) Frederick, M Martin

DE (6) DLaw, Crawford, Kony, Gregory, Taco, Armstrong

DT (4) Maliek, Irving, Ward, Price

LB (5) Lee, J Smith, Vander Esch, Wilson, Thomas

CB (5) Lewis, Jones, Awuzie, A Brown, White