Dallas Cowboys 2018 offseason thread

DougO

13 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I’ve been hearing about Byron Jones tearing it up at camp, but we’ve been hearing the same shit ever since he’s been on the team. He clearly performs well in practice. I’m not ready to write him off now that we have Chris Rishard, but chalk that one up to “I’ll believe it when I see it” in a game. 

He is what he is. A combine warrior. He excels in a controlled environment like the combine and practice. He is the equivalent of someone who excels in the classroom but can not translate those skills and knowledge to the working real world which has so many uncontrolled variables. We still don't even know which position to really keep him at. And this will be his 4th season. That's an issue. We hear about him tearing it up in practice every year. Maybe with this new coach from Seattle that will be over the secondary, he can get a little more out of him.

Maybe it was discussed but the pics and video out there of Jerry not taking off his hat during the national anthem is not a good look. On the Ranch Report this morning, Gordon said he watched the video about 50 times and Stephen clearly says something to Jerry about the hat. He thinks it's something like "Take the hat off" to which Jerry responds that he can't. Their guess is he wasn't wearing his toupee. Anyway, kinda hilarious when you have security telling fans in attendance to remove their hats during anthem, an owner that has doubled-down on being on the field and toeing-the-line during the pre-game anthem and leaving your hat on in the same situation. The one positive is that maybe it means less Jerry talking to the media this summer.

27 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Maybe it was discussed but the pics and video out there of Jerry not taking off his hat during the national anthem is not a good look. On the Ranch Report this morning, Gordon said he watched the video about 50 times and Stephen clearly says something to Jerry about the hat. He thinks it's something like "Take the hat off" to which Jerry responds that he can't. Their guess is he wasn't wearing his toupee. Anyway, kinda hilarious when you have security telling fans in attendance to remove their hats during anthem, an owner that has doubled-down on being on the field and toeing-the-line during the pre-game anthem and leaving your hat on in the same situation. The one positive is that maybe it means less Jerry talking to the media this summer.

Created an entire thread to talk about such things.  Jerrah's stupidity is worthy of being discussed but I was hoping we could keep this thread about football, at least as much as possible.

And agree with MP, first thing I thought was a hair piece...Can't let Jerry's vanity get in the way of respect for the troops!

Edited by Patrick Bateman

On 7/30/2018 at 6:53 PM, Drew said:

Oh damn, I forgot how bad that take was. Dude acting like a 4th round picknon a flier was proof this team would suck this year 

Or the take came from you. Yeah, I bet that’s it. 

45 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

so uh.....urban meyer to dallas?

I'd replace Garrett with Meyer in a heartbeat. Mainly because I hate Garrett that much. And Meyer is infinitely better as a coach. Just anyone but Garrett. Morality is not that big of an issue in pro sports as it is in college and high school. Hell, we employed Switzer and he was dirty as fuck at OU. 

Edited by Vic Mackey

No additional charges expected for Terrance Williams, attorney says

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24258854/no-additional-charges-expected-cowboys-wr-terrance-williams-attorney-says

So what, like an 8 game ban from Goodell now?  Hopefully Goodell has his 2018 NFL Roster almanack so he can look up who TWill is. 

I always thought the ET/Dallas trade rumor was just that, mostly fake news based on the goofy post-game incident, which, if anything, hurt his chances.

Dallas doesn't seem to believe in paying much for the position, nor put much priority on it.

14 minutes ago, DougO said:

I always thought the ET/Dallas trade rumor was just that, mostly fake news based on the goofy post-game incident, which, if anything, hurt his chances.

Dallas doesn't seem to believe in paying much for the position, nor put much priority on it.

A lot of Dallas writers think it's absolutely going to happen.  Nick Eatman the latest....

Them not putting any priority on DT or safety is why this defense has been terrible for so long. Maybe if they got their head out of their ass and realized how important those positions are, they'd see a change.

8 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
31 minutes ago, DougO said:

Them not putting any priority on DT or safety is why this defense has been terrible for so long. Maybe if they got their head out of their ass and realized how important those positions are, they'd see a change.

They've been vulnerable right up the middle for so long it has become Cowboys tradition. And it's really strange, because elite DT play was one of the major keys to Marinelli's success in his hayday, what made his rep as a top DC.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:
1 hour ago, DougO said:

Read more  

I agree with this. It drives me fucking nuts how they think about DTs.  

16 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
16 hours ago, DougO said:

Honestly, given that teams have unlimited salaries that they can spend, I do not know why every position is not a priority. 

• Haha 1

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/8/3/17646928/dallas-cowboys-training-camp-2018-five-takeaways-from-a-week-in-oxnard

Cowboys training camp 2018: Five takeaways from a week in Oxnard

There’s a lot to discuss about Cowboys training camp.

By RJ Ochoa@rjochoa  Aug 3, 2018, 12:30pm CDT

Another week of training camp is officially in the books. We’re so far into this thing that we’ve actually got an NFL preseason game in the rear-view mirror. It’s a glorious time of year.

I spent the last week out in Oxnard and made some observations. Let’s discuss.

The Kris Richard hype is very real and totally justified

By now you’ve heard this ad nauseam, but it needs to be noted that Kris Richard is making a significant impact on the Dallas Cowboys defense and the team as a whole.

Richard’s impact is tangible. There is a legitimate intensity that he brings, albeit a calming one. He’s a stern voice, but one of reason. He’s part teacher and part friend, part coach and part player. He literally wants to play.

Kris Richard held up this drill, ran in, and covered Geoff Swaim himself. To say he’s got energy would be the understatement of training camp. pic.twitter.com/9cqHFexkmy

— RJ Ochoa (@rjochoa) August 1, 2018

Many had made a point this offseason about the secondary needing a point of leadership. Kris Richard is the big brother they needed and it shows.

Chidobe Awuzie is going to be a superstar

There’s a swagger that Chido emanates. It’s not empty swagger, but calculated swagger. Kris Richard called him a cerebral player, and Chido talked to me about where that comes from.

This past week has had a lot of days where it felt like the defense won. Awuzie has been right in the middle of that and it is really difficult to find anything that he isn’t doing well.

Chidobe Awuzie is having himself a day pic.twitter.com/itreOd7kZv

The state of the cornerback position is very safe in his hands, as is any errant pass.

Brian Price could be something special

There was a lot of hype around Brian Price last season, but it seems like he’s found a way to build off of it. While Price lost pretty handily to Travis Frederick last Saturday, Fredbeard himself has noted how Price has actually been quite good during camp.

Defensive tackle is a position of question what with the injury to Maliek Collins and suspension of David Irving early on. Brian Price could benefit from that.

Do not forget about Anthony Brown

During OTAs people had their feathers ruffled when we found out that it was Anthony Brown, not Jourdan Lewis, who was playing in the slot at cornerback. Lewis is a talented corner and people are somewhat out on Brown after he was benched last season.

Brown has justified the faith that the coaching staff has put in him so far. He’s done a great job when he’s had opportunities, so much so that he’s even making big plays.

Anthony Brown with the interception pic.twitter.com/7zmnTjWkiu

Don’t overreact to this statement, but I was at camp for an entire week and never really saw anything from Jourdan Lewis outside of one-on-ones. It’s still extremely early in this whole process, but the top three corners feel set.

Tavon Austin is definitely a leader

Earlier in the week here at BTB I noted a particular moment where it seemed like Tavon Austin’s leadership was on display. All throughout the week it seemed like Tavon definitely held some legitimate stock in the receiver room, so much so that Lance Lenoir corroborated it.

Tavon stayed well after most players when Thursday’s practice concluded. He went and found rookie undrafted quarterback Dalton Sturm and ran about 30 routes. These weren’t half speed or lackadaisical routes, this was 100% full all-the-way effort.

This isn’t meant to discredit Dalton or his accuracy, but Tavon wasn’t catching passes between the numbers every time. He wanted balls all over the place and he was diving everywhere to get them.

There’s a lot to what Tavon Austin brings, and we’re going to see it all season.

It was a great week as always out in Oxnard and we’ll be talking a lot more about it in the coming days. These are preliminary reactions and we’ll likely have a whole lot more a week from now after the preseason game in San Francisco.

Edited by Viper

Seems like an uneventful scrimmage

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/scrimmage-notes-dak-s-day-rookie-standouts

Quick Hits From The Blue & White Scrimmage

• Working on one field, the players went through their normal pre-game warmup routine prior to practice. The preseason opener is Thursday at San Francisco.
  • As Deonte Thompson (Achilles tightness) and Noah Brown (hamstring) rest injuries, Lance Lenoir continued to make plays with additional snaps, catching a touchdown pass from Cooper Rush. “I just told (offensive coordinator Scott) Linehan the play before to give me the 9 route and we would score a touchdown,” Lenoir said. “He gave it to me so I had to come up big and make the play. That’s what I’ve been trying to do every day – just bring it every day and be consistent.”
  • A day after his best practice of camp, rookie corner Chavarius Ward was in coverage on arguably the best play of camp: Tavon Austin’s touchdown grab off Ward’s helmet. “He made a hell of a catch,” Ward said. “He went over the top of me and got me. I’ve just got to get more grit and get more competitive when the ball is in the air. He’s a vet and just made a great play.”
  • Defensive end Taco Charlton limped off early in practice and was examined by head athletic trainer Jim Maurer. He returned a few minutes later and recorded a would-be sack around the left edge.
  • Pro Bowl center Travis Frederick did not participate in team drills as part of his scheduled rest day.
  • Starting cornerback Chidobe Awuzie was on the field for individual drills but sat out team work. Awuzie hurt his knee in Saturday’s practice but appears to be fine. He wore a sleeve on his knee Sunday.
  • With Awuzie sitting out, Anthony Brown moved to first-team left corner and made a spectacular leaping interception of Prescott that would have been returned for a touchdown.
  • After missing multiple kicks in the previous two practices, Dan Bailey connected on both of his attempts Sunday.
  • Rookie defensive end Dorance Armstrong and new defensive tackle Jihad Ward continued to show pass rush ability in one-on-one drills, winning multiple battles against the offensive linemen.
  • The final 10 minutes was dedicated to a scrimmage-like, full-contact segment for the young players. Trey Williams had a pair of nice runs, but rookie Mike White lost a snap and threw an interception. Rookies Kam Kelly and Kyle Queiro each had takeaways.
  • Like 1

Um, should we start worrying about Dan Bailey yet? Kickers are like golfers, most are finicky and mentally fragile. Once you get the yips it’s very hard to shake them and some never do...

I am for sure. Remember when Nick Folk was the next best thing for us? Until he fell off a cliff. Kickers are like relief pitchers. When they fall, they fall fast. Usually only a change in scenery will do the trick.