Dallas Cowboys 2018 offseason thread

DougO

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

God, that guy is SO ass my dude.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/8/15/17691376/the-cowboys-have-never-cut-one-of-their-premium-draft-picks-under-jason-garrett-will-that-change

Now, all the Cowboys premium picks (rounds 1-3) in the Jason Garrett era haven’t exploded onto the scene and into lucrative second contracts, but they do all have one thing in common - they’ve all played through their rookie deals. Whether they are All-Pro’s or just solid players, the Cowboys always get use out of their early draft resources.

But that could all be coming to an end soon. The Cowboys third-round pick of 2015, Chaz Green, may not make it through his rookie contract.

It could be time to wave the white flag on the Chaz Green experiment. Not every offensive linemen the Cowboys draft is going to be an All-Pro and not every premium draft pick is going to make it through their rookie deal. It’s been a nice run, but the release of Green would end the team’s streak of viable draft selections through the first three rounds.

Jerry may get another shot. I admit I was intrigued by him but knew he was a project. The right coach might be able to still make a project of him. I'd like to see him stick with somebody as a number 3 and give him a year or two.

Fan launched a GoFundMe for the Broncos to cut Paxton Lynch

By: Andrew Joseph | August 13, 2018 5:10 pm

The Denver Broncos selected Paxton Lynch in the first round of the 2016 NFL draft. In the two years since, Lynch hasn’t looked like an NFL quarterback in the limited action he’s seen.

After Lynch put together a rough performance in the Broncos’ preseason loss to the Vikings (and was booed off the field), some Denver fans have already given up on the first-round pick. One fan has even launched a GoFundMe campaign with the sole purpose of helping the Broncos release Lynch.

The fan, Nick Andrew, is looking to recoup the Broncos for the $600,000 that Lynch is guaranteed for this season. He’s off to a modest start with just $80 raised as of Monday. Plus, it’s not like the Broncos — valued at $2.5 billion by Forbes — are short on cash.

Lynch is signed through 2019 with a fifth-year option in 2020, and right now, he’s proven to be a needlessly expensive backup quarterback.

14 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Sounds like we may have hit on one with Dorance Armstrong.  Supposedly beat Tyron in a 1 on 1 today.  

Gregory too

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/star-of-the-day-nearly-a-clean-sweep-for-gregory

David Helman: In the blink of an eye, Randy Gregory had turned the corner and “downed” Dak Prescott for a sack. It happened so fast that Prescott didn’t even bother to throw the ball. To be perfectly frank, I did a double-take and assumed Gregory had beaten Cam Fleming on the rep. Nope — it was Tyron Smith. If I was still doubting, Gregory confirmed it for me two reps later, when he blew past Smith again and helped Jihad Ward for another sack. I’m trying hard to temper my expectations, but Gregory has been impressive from the moment the Cowboys put him on the field.

Rob Phillips: With each practice, Randy Gregory looks more comfortable and more competitive out there. He’s now getting some one-on-one pass rush drill reps, and that’s where you can isolate him and see his skills. He’s so explosive off the line of scrimmage. It’s really something to see. But the thing that keeps impressing me is how he’s developed his upper body and added weight while away from the team. That should help him hold up through the course of the season.

or maybe it was against La'el Collins  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

https://theathletic.com/475282/2018/08/15/randy-gregory-has-his-best-practice-so-far-and-dak-prescott-is-working-on-chemistry-with-his-new-receivers/

Gregory emerged with his best effort in practice this summer with a pair of sacks and a crushing move against an offensive lineman in a pass rush/compete drill. From the moment Gregory was reinstated by the NFL after violating the substance abuse policy, the Cowboys have brought him along slowly. He got limited reps with the third team and he did individual drills with defensive line coach Leon Lett.

Gregory got work with the first team, lining up at right defensive end, recording a blindside sack on Dak Prescott by beating La’el Collins, in at left tackle for Tyron Smith. One play later, Gregory had another sack, forcing Prescott to scoot out of the pocket. After the play was over, Gregory ran toward the sideline and raised two fingers in the air.

Before his two sacks, in an extensive pass rush/compete drill, Gregory faced third-team tackle Jacob Campos. No contest. None. Gregory charged him with a bull rush, knocking Campos onto his back for the sack. Gregory also beat tackle Cameron Fleming in the drill.

This is the Gregory the Cowboys will be looking for once the regular season starts Sept. 9 at Carolina.

55 minutes ago, Rabidhorn said:

Dallas better start looking for Tyron Smith's replacement next draft, that back problem is popping up every year.

I think that's part of the reasoning with CWill.  He can play guard immediately, but can hopefully develop into the LT of the future. 

Smith said he's taken strides this offseason to make sure his back is good.  He's even got the whole team doing yoga so hopefully he can stay healthy. 

21 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

I think that's part of the reasoning with CWill.  He can play guard immediately, but can hopefully develop into the LT of the future. 

Smith said he's taken strides this offseason to make sure his back is good.  He's even got the whole team doing yoga so hopefully he can stay healthy. 

Doubtful he'll ever play left tackle except in a possible emergency. Probably will stay at guard, possibly right tackle. Doesn't quite have the classic length to leverage top NFL edge rushers.

27 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

While this may be true (this will be his 8th year), what happened this year?  Smith has said he feels great.

People overreacting. Because or DL are making plays, they assume he's going downhill. I'm glad our DL are making plays for a change and not getting manhandled in camp.

While his back does concern me for the big picture, I think Tyron is fine right now.

28 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Can't ever see Connor becoming a tackle in the NFL. 

29 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

CW is not the LT of the future.

27 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Let me dream dammit! 

Nothing wrong with being a great guard.

He may be a bit of a hedge in case La'El Collins doesn't solidify his spot at RT. But I think, ultimately, the Cowboys' hope is that Smith is good for a few more years and this is the OL lineup that they are set with for a good while.

43 minutes ago, DougO said:

Nothing wrong with being a great guard.

He may be a bit of a hedge in case La'El Collins doesn't solidify his spot at RT. But I think, ultimately, the Cowboys' hope is that Smith is good for a few more years and this is the OL lineup that they are set with for a good while.

I would not be disappointed if they drafted o-line every single year. 

47 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

People overreacting. Because or DL are making plays, they assume he's going downhill. I'm glad our DL are making plays for a change and not getting manhandled in camp.

While his back does concern me for the big picture, I think Tyron is fine right now.

I understand the concern.  His back could go at any time, but strange time to express it..... Guys, even elite dudes, get beat in 1 on 1's all the time.  Smith will lose a few of these in training camp.  He'll lose a few during the season too.  He destroyed Armstrong (as he should) the other two times he faced him that day.  Good on the rook, he seems like he some game.  That's the story. 

Just cross our fingers his back holds up another 3-4 years.  

27 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

I get hyped every year, but this year seems different.  I'm hoping it means good things. 

Same. I like our pass rush with Lawrence, Gregory, Dorrance, (hopefully at some point) Irving and the LBs look pretty good with Lee, Jaylon 2.0, Vander Esche and the secondary should be good with early reports on Jones and Cheeto (Mike Fisher says he's going to be a star sooner than later). Now go get ET to QB these guys.

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Doctor said no structural damage, just something he'll have to fight through..... He dressed but didn't practice yesterday and today is no pads....

I'd shut him down until regular season. He needs rest. So much of our season is hindered on our OL. We went all in on that position. Can't afford to have them hurt. He doesn't need to prove anything anyways at this point. Just some light drills and practicing but nothing major. And no preseason games.

• Like 1