Dallas Cowboys 2018 offseason thread

DougO

So thank god for fantasy football, have a few docs in my leagues and they said by next year Frederick should be a full go (small chance it gets so bad he's done)..... outside shot this year dependent on how the symptoms present.  They said typically 5-6 weeks of treatments (5 a week) but that the nerves regenerate very slowly (1mm/day) and therefore his strength won't may not be there this season.

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

So thank god for fantasy football, have a few docs in my leagues and they said by next year Frederick should be a full go (small chance it gets so bad he's done)..... outside shot this year dependent on how the symptoms present.  They said typically 5-6 weeks of treatments (5 a week) but that the nerves regenerate very slowly (1mm/day) and therefore his strength won't may not be there this season.

Sirois today was recounting Schlereth's experience. He said he got sick midway through the 1993 season and felt weak until the second half of the 1994 season so it was a full 12 months for him. Now, this was 25 years ago. Schlereth has said Frederick has already been given some stuff that wasn't even available when Schlereth had it. He also said Schlereth went through a six-month period where he had no sensation in his arms or legs. Not sure Frederick got to -- or will get to -- that point.

2 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

Jesus. So Vic now thinks Dak is better than Stafford?  And Wentz?  Lulz. 

Stafford is a good QB and is not a poor man’s Romo. They are about the same. Dak has a long way to go to approach either of them, or Wentz, and I doubt he ever gets there. 

Lmao at the Wentz dick sucking constantly. Dude is nothing special. In fact, Dak is more accomplished than Wentz. One, he actually plays every game and doesn't get hurt. He won rookie of the year and was an NFL MVP candidate. What has Wentz done that Dak hasn't? Besides allowing his team to finish last place. Wentz's backup comes in and they don't miss a beat and they win it all. Wentz is in a much better situation than Dak, especially coaching. Defense is much better.

And yes, Stafford is a poor man's Romo. He has never won shit in his life. Not even a measly division title. He's a fantasy football QB i.e. all stats and no substance. Dude is a mental midget when it comes to actually winning. Wake me up when he actually wins something for once. Dak will win a playoff game before Stafford does, if he ever does.

Edited by Vic Mackey

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Lmao at the Wentz dick sucking constantly. Dude is nothing special. In fact, Dak is more accomplished than Wentz. One, he actually plays every game and doesn't get hurt. He won rookie of the year and was an NFL MVP candidate. What has Wentz done that Dak hasn't? Besides allowing his team to finish last place. Wentz's backup comes in and they don't miss a beat and they win it all. Wentz is in a much better situation than Dak, especially coaching. Defense is much better.

And yes, Stafford is a poor man's Romo. He has never won shit in his life. Not even a measly division title. He's a fantasy football QB i.e. all stats and no substance. Dude is a mental midget when it comes to actually winning. Wake me up when he actually wins something for once. Dak will win a playoff game before Stafford does, if he ever does.

Lulz. Okay buddy.  I’m not even going to respond to you here. 

5 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

Jesus. So Vic now thinks Dak is better than Stafford?  And Wentz?  Lulz. 

Stafford is a good QB and is not a poor man’s Romo. They are about the same. Dak has a long way to go to approach either of them, or Wentz, and I doubt he ever gets there. 

I don't care who Dak is better than. All that talk about "who's the best" is mostly a waste of time anyway. I only care about how it works as a team. Dallas had Romo for years and hardly sniffed the playoffs because the team always had major deficiencies. Other teams had major runs with mediocre QB play because they had a complete team. Who cares where Dak ranks among NFL QBs? It only matters on talk shows.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DougO said:

Raiders just cut safety Obi Melifonwu a second round pick in 2017. Missed most of his rookie year due to injuries.

Injury prone underwear warrior, fits at least 2/3 of the Cowboys reclamation profile.

He's injured again..... probably going to be placed on IR or be released with injury settlement after passing thru waivers.  Questions about how much he really likes football too.  Hip issue.

1 hour ago, DougO said:

I don't care who Dak is better than. All that talk about "who's the best" is mostly a waste of time anyway. I only care about how it works as a team. Dallas had Romo for years and hardly sniffed the playoffs because the team always had major deficiencies. Other teams had major runs with mediocre QB play because they had a complete team. Who cares where Dak ranks among NFL QBs? It only matters on talk shows.

I don’t care. I’m just stating, factually, that he’s not as good as Wentz, Romo and Stafford and frankly it’s not close. His play is conducive to 8-8 seasons, so I care about that. If we win a Super Bowl and he’s Trent Dilfer I’ll be pleased as punch. 

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Anyone else excited about Gallup?

So far he's looking like a really good value pick, hopefully with some number one upside. I'm even more excited about how Terrance Williams has looked in preseason, and the different ways they are getting him the ball with all the short range stuff. Seems to work well for him.

1 minute ago, DougO said:

So far he's looking like a really good value pick, hopefully with some number one upside. I'm even more excited about how Terrance Williams has looked in preseason, and the different ways they are getting him the ball with all the short range stuff. Seems to work well for him.

I think this WR corp with Dak is going to do wonders. If they continue to run it the way they are. When Dez went down for a month in 2016, Dak was at his best. No more having to force feed someone for several reasons. I could not even tell you who the primary target is right now and we don't really need one. Dak will get everyone involved and get the ball to who is open and keep the chains moving. It could be someone different every week and that will be just fine.

What makes me nervous now is the Travis absence. Pressure up the middle is the worst. Teams now see our backup in there and will try and exploit that the whole game. The good thing is Looney is respectable. Nothing close to Frederick but he isn't going to be Chaz Green level of bad or close to that.

Hopefully he can return at some point this season. I would not rush it, though.

I don't expect they're showing their full offense yet, but so far it looks like they're really emphasising the short passing game. I wish they would go deep just a little more often, but hopefully we'll see more of that during the season. But whatever works I'm all for it. Maybe they're trying to go more Patriots style. The running game is still the big key anyway. If they're able to run the ball with the first string offense anything like they have in preseason it could be a decent year, if the defense doesn't start looking more vulnerable. I still really have no expectations. If I have to guess I would say the usual Garrett style 8-8 or 9-7, give or take a few bounces of the ball.

Edited by DougO

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

Turd of a draft pick (and name)

I admit, I bought into Switzer. With how he was a great returner at UNC, I thought we had a great return guy and a good slot receiver to pair with Beasley for a long time.

I still think Switzer can be a productive receiver if given a chance but he's just not going to be a great return man in this league until proven otherwise. 

19 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I think this WR corp with Dak is going to do wonders. If they continue to run it the way they are. When Dez went down for a month in 2016, Dak was at his best. No more having to force feed someone for several reasons. I could not even tell you who the primary target is right now and we don't really need one. Dak will get everyone involved and get the ball to who is open and keep the chains moving. It could be someone different every week and that will be just fine.

What makes me nervous now is the Travis absence. Pressure up the middle is the worst. Teams now see our backup in there and will try and exploit that the whole game. The good thing is Looney is respectable. Nothing close to Frederick but he isn't going to be Chaz Green level of bad or close to that.

Hopefully he can return at some point this season. I would not rush it, though.

If there is one situation I’d rather have Dak than Romo for, its pressure up the middle. I’d rather lose Frederick than Smith. 

I hope you’re right on Dak and this new WR corps. I am critical of him here only to the extent you tout him as good as Wentz, Stafford or Romo, and I may be putting words in your mouth on the latter two. He simply is not as good as any of those three. 

That said, I like him as this team’s QB and as a leader, and really like him as a worker and person. I just think he has a lot to prove. If it is as simple as career development, the removal of Dez and a full season of Zeke, I won’t be that surprised. But he’s got to show it. 

Just now, Mileslong said:

It was creepy, almost like “I know I can never lose my job no matter how shitty a coach I am”

Serious question, would any team even hire Garrett as an OC if he was fired? I know there is 0.0000% chance anyone would ever consider him for head coach. Although we though he was a shitty OC as well since we stripped that from him. He literally does nothing on the sidelines worth a damn.

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

Serious question, would any team even hire Garrett as an OC if he was fired? I know there is 0.0000% chance anyone would ever consider him for head coach. Although we though he was a shitty OC as well since we stripped that from him. He literally does nothing on the sidelines worth a damn.

You mean you don't think saying "fuck" a lot and playing trick throw games with the starting QB after practice is the Super Bowl winning recipe for a HC?

Just now, Surly Bevo said:

You mean you don't think saying "fuck" a lot and playing trick throw games with the starting QB after practice is the Super Bowl winning recipe for a HC?

Yeah you're right. I think he earns his money with those. As well as his clapping that motivates the team.

Also about the f bombs, I wonder if that is really him or was he playing it up for the cameras because he knew they were taping and wanted to create some "bad ass" image?

I know by many accounts Garrett is not the robot we see at press conferences and he actually has a personality the players like but it did cross my mind if he threw in some more f bombs or the Amazon cameras.