Dallas Cowboys 2018 offseason thread

DougO

17 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

who was that other guy that started the rumor on Randy?  Is he some radio personality?  

Jason Laconfora. He works at CBS as a sportswriter and analyst. But reading around, he has a big reputation as being wrong quite a bit.

And then this:

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/benjamin-allbright-says-metadata-shows-cbs-jason-la-canfora-lied-stole-photo.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Jason Laconfora. He works at CBS as a sportswriter and analyst. But reading around, he has a big reputation as being wrong quite a bit.

And then this:

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/benjamin-allbright-says-metadata-shows-cbs-jason-la-canfora-lied-stole-photo.html

While LaConfora is a dbag, his connections are in the NFL's front office.  So it could make sense he knows of something, particularly around the drug testing program, and the Cowboys' front office doesn't.... Just have to wait and see.  

Can he be worse than Chaz?

Rotoworld:

Raiders released OT Breno Giacomini.

This is a good sign for the Raiders. Coach Jon Gruden initially deemed Giacomini the favorite to start at right tackle, but Donald Penn agreed to move there, rendering Giacomini expendable. Giacomini was the worst starting offensive tackle in football last season, getting absolutely annihilated in pass protection.

20 minutes ago, DougO said:

Can he be worse than Chaz?

Rotoworld:

Raiders released OT Breno Giacomini.

This is a good sign for the Raiders. Coach Jon Gruden initially deemed Giacomini the favorite to start at right tackle, but Donald Penn agreed to move there, rendering Giacomini expendable. Giacomini was the worst starting offensive tackle in football last season, getting absolutely annihilated in pass protection.

Worst starting offensive tackle.... Hmmm..... worse than Chaz?  Maybe not, but let's aim higher.

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Worst starting offensive tackle.... Hmmm..... worse than Chaz?  Maybe not, but let's aim higher.

I was half joking, but he gave up 9 sacks in 16 starts with the Texans, according to PFF.  That's just 1 1/2 games worth of sacks for Chaz Green.

He's a rookie, and that's a lot better than the turnover machine Rush against mostly backups as well. 
Also better than another white injury prone LB who can't even practice without hurting himself repeatedly. 

So you’ve already written off LVE because he is white? How many snaps have you seen him play to make your educated guess that he is a bust?

So I heard a bit more about the Gregory situation that was tweeted last night. Gregory has an accountability partner that is helping him stay on track and keeps up with his whereabouts. He's not connected with the Cowboys at all but a friend of his. Gregory went missing for a period of time last week and could not be accounted for but no one knows if he used again. The team was alerted, though. Hence why they are being so vague about the situation. Pretty sure a drug test will be coming, if it already hasn't been taken.

Edited by Vic Mackey

4 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

So I heard a bit more about the Gregory situation that was tweeted last night. Gregory has an accountability partner that is helping him stay on track and keeps up with his whereabouts. He's not connected with the Cowboys at all but a friend of his. Gregory went missing for a period of time last week and could not be accounted for but no one knows if he used again. The team was alerted, though. Hence why they are being so vague about the situation. Pretty sure a drug test will be coming, if it already hasn't been taken.

So basically it was reckless speculation by La Confora to report on ANYTHING regarding this situation. Sounds pretty fucking par for the course. I’ll wait until something actually happens before I listen to this dude drag Gregory’s name through the mud.

8 hours ago, Mileslong said:

So you’ve already written off LVE because he is white? How many snaps have you seen him play to make your educated guess that he is a bust?

That play where Dorance Armstrong blew up the line and LVE almost snagged the pick made me think LVE is not athletic enough.  If he were black, he would've made the play. 

1 minute ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

I wonder if these safety injuries allow Tyree to make the team.  He did take a bad angle last week that allowed for a 59yd TD.

After the two muffed punts, I'm not rooting for Lenoir to make the team.  Can Thompson not return punts?  Surely someone with more athleticism can handle that role. 

Tavon Austin is reportedly the #1 punt returner if though he has a very mixed history.  Lenoir was back there to see if he could handle backup duties.  Not a good showing....

27 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

I wonder if these safety injuries allow Tyree to make the team.  He did take a bad angle last week that allowed for a 59yd TD.

After the two muffed punts, I'm not rooting for Lenoir to make the team.  Can Thompson not return punts?  Surely someone with more athleticism can handle that role. 

Lenoir was not brought here to play return man. Some say what he did the other night will have no bearing on if he makes the team. They will judge him how well he played WR. I don't think he makes the team, though. Unless we carry more than 6 WRs but I don't see that happening nor should it.

12 minutes ago, Scholz said:

So with pick #3 in fantasy, should I grab Zeke or David Johnson?  The Dallas O line looks like a MASH unit right now?

Well, to start the season Frederick will be out but the rest of the starters won’t.   I trust Zeke to stay healthy way more than David Johnson

• Like 1

LaCanfora saw Gregory looking unblockable Sunday night and decided (probably at the league's behest) to throw a little water in the Cowboys face. And since there's a non zero chance he ends up being right he can conceivably hide behind his "Im told" nonsense. 

What a scumbag

• Like 1

Cowboys are going to have to make a decision on Frederick soon. I have to think IR with designation to return is most likely

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000951930/article/cowboys-to-make-ir-decision-on-frederick-next-week

Since being diagnosed with Guillain-Barré syndrome last week, the Dallas Cowboyscenter has worked out with the team and was out watching practice on Tuesday. But NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported that it’s too early to tell if Frederick will be placed on injured reserve. The team will make a decision next week whether to do so.

A source told Rapoport that Frederick’s recovery could be measured optimistically in weeks, not months. In that case, Frederick could be placed on IR with a designation to return after eight weeks or stay on the active roster until he’s ready to return.

1 hour ago, Viper said:

Cowboys are going to have to make a decision on Frederick soon. I have to think IR with designation to return is most likely

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000951930/article/cowboys-to-make-ir-decision-on-frederick-next-week

They can't leave him on active roster. I would think IR to return but during this recovery he can't do anything physical at all right? So no lifting, no running,  no conditioning of any kind? If that's the case for a min 6 to 8 weeks recovery he won't ever be in any kind of game shape this year. 

• Like 2

Teddy B traded to the Saints for a 3rd round pick. Would any of you have made that trade to solidify our backup spot? Although there is no guarantee he would sign with us in the offseason since this is the last year on his deal. And that is a high pick to trade just for insurance in case Dak doesn't go down and for a player hope doesn't see the field.

I am guessing the Saints have plans to make him Brees' successor. 

29 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Teddy B traded to the Saints for a 3rd round pick. Would any of you have made that trade to solidify our backup spot? Although there is no guarantee he would sign with us in the offseason since this is the last year on his deal. And that is a high pick to trade just for insurance in case Dak doesn't go down and for a player hope doesn't see the field.

6 minutes ago, Viper said:

3rd round for a backup qb? no

Nope. We need that pick to make the Earl Thomas trade.

Backup spot? Dude is far better than dak and most other qbs in the league.

15 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I think he is referencing this play...

OK, nice breakup, but if that's the play Jeff must not be paying attention to a large percentage of football plays at games he has watched.

I just want to see him take good angles, redirect and make tackles a good NFL linebacker should make.

Not a lot of data to support Teddy is better than Dak.... in fact, it's opposite.  There are always other mitigating factors as well as Teddy having been in the league longer and a year older, but 4.7%/1.8% vs 3.3%/2.6% in TD%/INT% seems to indicate Dak has played better.  I think most would take Dak...