Black people arrested for sitting in a Starbucks

Pancho

5 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

No, I don’t know what you’re arguing. That a gun was put to their head to procreate? That they were arrested and therefore couldn’t raise the child? Please clarify. 

That's one reason, but you probably think they are arrested and incarcerated because they commit more crimes than white men.

There are many other reasons, but they will be lost on you because you hold the racist belief that something is wrong with black people. 

5 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Why are they so poor? It couldn’t be.... no it couldn’t possibly be.... the destruction of the black family nucleus? No, it’s just that blue eyed devil again. 

Race based discrimination is the number one reason for the breakdown of the black family in America. 

9 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

You’re misconstruing things again, but that’s ok. I said they’re very aware of the problem and that it was nearly impossible to point said problem out if you’re not part of the community. Not that they didn’t care. 

I went back and read all your posts, and you're lying. You never said the bolded part. You said the opposite, and you're lying about it now because it's obvious how racist you are and you're trying to backtrack, you lying racist.

Here's what you said:
However, as whites we aren’t allowed to point these problems out. Sitting back and pretending it’s whitey holding them down is the least effective solution, but it makes everyone feel better. (Chrispy - Post #338)

First, you would have to get them to acknowledge the problem, good luck with that. If you’re not a part of the black community you’ll be labeled a racist, so nothing will get done policy wise. (Chrispy - Post #359)

You then re-advocated those same racist statements.

Those are unfortunate truths.  (Chrispy - Post #439)

You're a lying racist. #sad

Please quote yourself to prove me wrong, you lying racist.

Secondly, yes I feel they minimize the role of personal responsibility and blame racism entirely too much. 

On what evidence do you base your feelings?

baf285ecb3bcc68b110e25a9cd2ff47e.jpg

15 minutes ago, bolverk said:

This point shouldn't be lost in the discussion. Mechanization of agriculture and persistent Jim Crow policies in the 1950s led to a diaspora of impoverished Southern Blacks moving to Northern industrial cities. Being poor, they often had to rely on public housing.

To be eligible, however, policies dictated that a father had to be absent or that there was no breadwinner in the household. Those policies, therefore, actually incentivized fathers to be absent.

One thing that really sucked for this population is that the introduction of technology in manufacturing (like that of agriculture), along with racist Unions protecting entrenched White workers, started fucking over the Black workforce pretty hard.

Now, given I haven't addressed the data indicating that Black men actually are not more likely to be "absent" in the sense of uninvolved, it's pretty fucking amazingly miraculous that the Black family is holding up as well as it is.

@Chrispy If you're truly interested, please respond to this post, as well as the one regarding the shitty way in which public housing was created for three decades. And if you're truly interested in understanding some of this history. instead of just throwing grenades, I respectfully request you watch this doc:

https://youtu.be/xKgZM8y3hso

15 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I went back and read all your posts, and you're lying. You never said the bolded part. You said the opposite, and you're lying about it now because it's obvious how racist you are and you're trying to backtrack, you lying racist.

Here's what you said:
However, as whites we aren’t allowed to point these problems out. Sitting back and pretending it’s whitey holding them down is the least effective solution, but it makes everyone feel better. (Chrispy - Post #338)

First, you would have to get them to acknowledge the problem, good luck with that. If you’re not a part of the black community you’ll be labeled a racist, so nothing will get done policy wise. (Chrispy - Post #359)

You then re-advocated those same racist statements.

Those are unfortunate truths.  (Chrispy - Post #439)

You're a lying racist. #sad

Please quote yourself to prove me wrong, you lying racist.

On what evidence do you base your feelings?

baf285ecb3bcc68b110e25a9cd2ff47e.jpg

I said they blame whitey too much and you get labeled a racist if you’re not in the black community by bringing it up. Thanks for the affirmation, I owe you a pos rep. 

Edited by Chrispy
Sleepy

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Race based discrimination is the number one reason for the breakdown of the black family in America. 

Racism is a factor to be sure, but I respectfully disagree that’s it’s the largest reason.

8 minutes ago, bolverk said:

@Chrispy If you're truly interested, please respond to this post, as well as the one regarding the shitty way in which public housing was created for three decades. And if you're truly interested in understanding some of this history. instead of just throwing grenades, I respectfully request you watch this doc:

https://youtu.be/xKgZM8y3hso

Sure man, I’ll check it out tomorrow and give you my input. It’s getting to be my bedtime. 

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Kinda funny how a thread about selective enforcement of Starbucks policy devolves into a thread about crime rates and out off wedlock. But then again who am I kidding. These threads always attract those who can't type fast enough inorder to justify racism because absentee fathers.

This^. I'm surprised we haven't seen the predictable post about the violent black savages in Chicago and unchecked gun violence.

8 hours ago, Satchel said:

This^. I'm surprised we haven't seen the predictable post about the violent black savages in Chicago and unchecked gun violence.

Actually, there’s only been 127 murders in Chicago thus far. I believe it was around 200 or so in 2017 at this time. They credit this reduction to... wait for this controversial answer... the Chicago police department using censors to detect gunfire. Thank god for the boys in blue.

4 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

The Two guys were on GMA just now.

they arrived at the Starbucks at 4:35 for their meeting. The cops were called at 4:37.

There's no way they could have declined the opportunity to BUY a cup of Joe that quickly in that joint...

@Chrispy

There are many valid reasons to be called a racist.

One of them is using the term “whitey” as a way of making blacks seem ignorant when you present what you imagine their argument to be. (See: the mythical Michelle Obama “whitey” tape, etc…)

Another valid reason to call someone a racist is when they, without any data or evidence, portray an entire race as morally bankrupt or lesser.

The centrist types here are being much kinder in the vain belief that reasonable dialogue is what cures a racist’s ills, but the reality is that racists are broken inside and no amount of logic and reason will work.

You cannot reason someone out of a position they did not reason their way into.

When you attempt to build logic into your racism, you fail.

For instance, this bullshit…

(Chrispy) Why are they so poor? It couldn’t be.... no it couldn’t possibly be.... the destruction of the black family nucleus? No, it’s just that blue eyed devil again.

Blue eyed devil… another racist caricature voice from the shitty racist.

What destroyed the black family nucleus? Can you venture a guess?

I’ll quote LBJ, a man not exactly known to be a bleeding heart Social Justice Warrior.

For Negro poverty is not white poverty. Many of its causes and many of its cures are the same. But there are differences-deep, corrosive, obstinate differences--radiating painful roots into the community, and into the family, and the nature of the individual.

These differences are not racial differences. They are solely and simply the consequence of ancient brutality, past injustice, and present prejudice. They are anguishing to observe. For the Negro they are a constant reminder of oppression. For the white they are a constant reminder of guilt. But they must be faced and they must be dealt with and they must be overcome, if we are ever to reach the time when the only difference between Negroes and whites is the color of their skin.

Nor can we find a complete answer in the experience of other American minorities. They made a valiant and a largely successful effort to emerge from poverty and prejudice.

The Negro, like these others, will have to rely mostly upon his own efforts. But he just can not do it alone. For they did not have the heritage of centuries to overcome, and they did not have a cultural tradition which had been twisted and battered by endless years of hatred and hopelessness, nor were they excluded--these others--because of race or color--a feeling whose dark intensity is matched by no other prejudice in our society. 

Nor can these differences be understood as isolated infirmities. They are a seamless web. They cause each other. They result from each other. They reinforce each other. 

Much of the Negro community is buried under a blanket of history and circumstance. It is not a lasting solution to lift just one corner of that blanket. We must stand on all sides and we must raise the entire cover if we are to liberate our fellow citizens.

You've got to be a thoroughly shitty person to be MORE racist than LBJ. Irredeemably shitty.

Edited by bad_teammate

11 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

@Chrispy

There are many valid reasons to be called a racist.

One of them is using the term “whitey” as a way of making blacks seem ignorant when you present what you imagine their argument to be. (See: the mythical Michelle Obama “whitey” tape, etc…)

Another valid reason to call someone a racist is when they, without any data or evidence, portray an entire race as morally bankrupt or lesser.

The centrist types here are being much kinder in the vain belief that reasonable dialogue is what cures a racist’s ills, but the reality is that racists are broken inside and no amount of logic and reason will work.

You cannot reason someone out of a position they did not reason their way into.

When you attempt to build logic into your racism, you fail.

For instance, this bullshit…

Blue eyed devil… another racist caricature voice from the shitty racist.

What destroyed the black family nucleus? Can you venture a guess?

I’ll quote LBJ, a man not exactly known to be a bleeding heart Social Justice Warrior.

You've got to be a thoroughly shitty person to be MORE racist than LBJ. Irredeemably shitty.

Yawn. Using the term racist more than five times in a post? Thou doth protest too much, me thinks. 

Also, morally bankrupt? It’s poor decision making, that’s it. Expecting so little out of a community is the true essence of racism, which you have fully exhibited. Just admit you think they aren’t capable and let’s move on. 

9 hours ago, Chrispy said:

Racism is a factor to be sure, but I respectfully disagree that’s it’s the largest reason.

Well it certainly hasn't been a static problem.  Census data shows the 1940s as a turning point.  Something around that time started having a negative impact on the black community and I have serious doubt it's casual racism. 

http://users.hist.umn.edu/~ruggles/strib94.html

Starting around 1940, black children were increasingly likely to live in a home without a father. In 1940, for example, 19 percent of black children between the ages of 10 and 14 were living with their mothers only, a figure that jumped to nearly 47 percent in 1990.

In white households, 8 percent of the children between 10 and 14 lived with their mothers only in 1940, compared with 15 percent in 1990.

- The extended black family, often considered a source of strength and stability, has declined steadily since 1940, as has the white extended family. In 1940, 26 percent of black households contained extended families - meaning they included other relatives besides parents and their biological children. By 1980, only 17 percent of the families were extended. Likewise, 17 percent of white households were extended in 1940, compared with 6 1/2 percent in 1980.

3 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Yawn. Using the term racist more than five times in a post? Thou doth protest too much, me thinks. 

Also, morally bankrupt? It’s poor decision making, that’s it. Expecting so little out of a community is the true essence of racism, which you have fully exhibited. Just admit you think they aren’t capable and let’s move on. 

Just ignore him.  Pretty sure he's just a lonely white dude working at gamestop anyways.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Yawn.

Rocko, but maybe even dumber?

Using the term racist more than five times in a post? Thou doth protest too much, me thinks. 

Stop being racist, I guess?

What expectation or lack thereof have I communicated?

I think blacks have done a great job in America.They were brought over by force, stripped of their names, languages, families, and all of their heritage. They were literally enslaved for over two centuries followed by governmental and social oppression that continues to this day. Despite all that, black Americans have contributed tremendously to our nation in basically every facet you could name. They've been powerful drivers of social culture for many decades and one of theirs is undoubtedly the most honorable, intelligent, and personally virtuous presidents in decades. Black professional athletes are regularly speaking more articulately about complicated problems than elected white representatives.

All of this while being actively oppressed.

Not only do I think "they" are capable, I think "they" are achieving.

24 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

If this is your position, why do black people in America, particularly black men according to your calculus, make more poor decisions than white people?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Rocko, but maybe even dumber?

Stop being racist, I guess?

What expectation or lack thereof have I communicated?

I think blacks have done a great job in America.They were brought over by force, stripped of their names, languages, families, and all of their heritage. They were literally enslaved for over two centuries followed by governmental and social oppression that continues to this day. Despite all that, black Americans have contributed tremendously to our nation in basically every facet you could name. They've been powerful drivers of social culture for many decades and one of theirs is undoubtedly the most honorable, intelligent, and personally virtuous presidents in decades. Black professional athletes are regularly speaking more articulately about complicated problems than elected white representatives.

All of this while being actively oppressed.

Not only do I think "they" are capable, I think "they" are achieving.

Noble post. Unfortunately none of it addresses the original assertion of single parent homes. They’re lagging behind other groups in poverty and eduction, which is a sad state of affairs. Surprisingly enough, Asian Americans are surpassing the white community in these areas as well. They tend to focus on family and education a great deal, I’m seeing a pattern here. 

Just now, Chrispy said:

Noble post. Unfortunately none of it addresses the original assertion of single parent homes. They’re lagging behind other groups in poverty and eduction, which is a sad state of affairs. Surprisingly enough, Asian Americans are surpassing the white community in these areas as well. They tend to focus on family and education a great deal, I’m seeing a pattern here. 

Do you have any data comparing the outcomes of black people from two parent households with white people from two parent households? 

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

If this is your position, why do black people in America, particularly black men according to your calculus, make more poor decisions than white people?

There’s a myriad of reasons. The driving force behind most of said decisions are from a lack of a father figure setting an example, the resulting poverty, and lack of an emphasis on education. 

Just head down to your local penitentiary and ask, all races, how involved their father was. It will disturb you. Children of two parent households are more successful in life, this isn’t difficult. 

2 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

There’s a myriad of reasons. The driving force behind most of said decisions are from a lack of a father figure setting an example, the resulting poverty, and lack of an emphasis on education. 

Just head down to your local penitentiary and ask, all races, how involved their father was. It will disturb you. Children of two parent households are more successful in life, this isn’t difficult. 

Really?

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2017/02/08/514105689/black-latino-two-parent-families-have-half-the-wealth-of-white-single-parents

The family thing is a bit of a vicious cycle.  Obviously there's a brutal history some of which is still ongoing (see incarceration rates), but at a certain point, practices become part of the culture. Even if you fix the institutional issues, you don't necessarily solve the problem and the problem itself can contribute to the institutional issues. 

Obama speaking to black fathers is extraordinarily important and something he was uniquely positioned to do. 

Trying to boil this down to one underlying issue seems like a fool's errand. These things have been baked in over the course of decades and centuries. Racism continues to be a problem; so is poverty; so are cultural issues such as parental responsibility and educational values.

1 minute ago, Mole said:

The family thing is a bit of a vicious cycle.  Obviously there's a brutal history some of which is still ongoing (see incarceration rates), but at a certain point, practices become part of the culture. Even if you fix the institutional issues, you don't necessarily solve the problem and the problem itself can contribute to the institutional issues. 

Obama speaking to black fathers is extraordinarily important and something he was uniquely positioned to do. 

Trying to boil this down to one underlying issue seems like a fool's errand. These things have been baked in over the course of decades and centuries. Racism continues to be a problem; so is poverty; so are cultural issues such as parental responsibility and educational values.

Yes but we can see what caused the disparity by going back to when it first started and examine reasons why it might have occurred. 

No matter how it's dressed up, you either believe the cause behind the differences in outcomes is endogenous or exogenous in nature.  If you subscribe to the former, I don't know how you avoid the position of inferiority - other differences (cultural, family structure, etc.) cited as explaining those differences in outcomes don't occur in a vacuum and have their own causes.  

34 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

If differences in family structure is the key driver of racial inequality, then why are black children more likely to live in poverty than white children, irrespective of their parents’ marital status?

We have to fix the schools. Otherwise it is just throwing shit on the wall and hoping something sticks. The biggest crime since slavery, as a nation, I believe, is that we have allowed our poorest citizens to be stuck in dreadful schools with no chance of getting out. While ultra-wealthy liberals scream at any attempt to fix the schools they can still send their kids and grandchildren to private schools.

President Obama sent his two girls to the Sidwell Friends. It's really expensive, and they have a great website that shows you all the fabulous lunch choices afforded them, because they are rich. But then other poor black kids are stuck in schools which give them no chance to succeed. President Obama allowed D.C.'s voucher program to whither on the vine.

I think I read that the 10, or so, Democrats who attacked Betsy DeVos at her hearings on her belief in school choice sent their children & grandchildren to private schools. A great education is awesome for my kids, because I am rich, but not for some poor woman who wants to get her kids out of failing inner-city schools.

Our school system needs blown up and rebuilt so that teachers can teach and kids who want to learn and better themselves can be taught.

-------------

The national (high school) graduation rate for black males was 59 percent, 65 percent for Latinos, and 80 percent for white males for the 2012-13 school year, according to the report. Particularly striking was Detroit where only 20 percent of black males graduated on time in the 2011-12. 

http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/District_Dossier/2015/02/as_nation_graduation_rate_grew.html

By Russell W. Rumberger, PhD

The United States is facing a dropout crisis, with an estimated 1.1 million members of the 2012 high school graduating class not earning diplomas (Education Week, 2012). Dropouts face extremely bleak economic and social prospects. Compared to high school graduates, they are less likely find a job and earn a living wage, and more likely to be poor and to suffer from a variety of adverse health outcomes (Rumberger, 2011). Moreover, they are more likely to rely on public assistance, engage in crime and generate other social costs borne by taxpayers (Belfield & Levin, 2007). 

Poverty and dropouts are inextricably connected in the three primary settings affecting healthy child and adolescent development: families, schools and communities. 

In 2009, poor (bottom 20 percent of all family incomes) students were five times more likely to drop out of high school than high-income (top 20 percent of all family incomes) students (Chapman, Laird, Ifill, & KewalRamani, 2011, Table 1). Child poverty is rampant in the U.S., with more than 20 percent of school-age children living in poor families (Snyder & Dillow, 2012, Table 27). And poverty rates for Black and Hispanic families are three times the rates for White families.

http://www.apa.org/pi/ses/resources/indicator/2013/05/poverty-dropouts.aspx

Edited by PittsburghTiger
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

He is being racist. He thinks there is something wrong with black people. That's racist.

He said there is something wrong with the community which is true. We've got a problem and there might be external causes for it. 

The black community has a problem with unwed mothers and it's ultimately up to the black community to fix it. 

Getting free coffee at starbucks because I was at a disadvantage growing up might make you feel better, but it's incredibly insulting.  The black community shouldn't allow others to influence it.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Amobie said:

Yes but we can see what caused the disparity by going back to when it first started and examine reasons why it might have occurred. 

The absolutely should be done, but even if you fix the causes, you don't necessarily make the problem go away if it's become enculturated. I think you're in agreement with this.

To the other issue of those claiming racism on this thread, there's a difference between saying a trait is inherent in someone due to skin color (racism) and saying that an unhealthy practice has become widespread in a particular community.

Edited by Mole
  • Like 2

Just now, Amobie said:

He said there is something wrong with the community which is true. We've got a problem and there might be external causes for it. 

The black community has a problem with unwed mothers and it's ultimately up to the black community to fix it. 

Getting free coffee at starbucks because I was at a disadvantage growing up might make you feel better, but it's incredibly insulting.  The black community shouldn't allow others to influence it.

Ya think?

2 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

No matter how it's dressed up, you either believe the cause behind the differences in outcomes is endogenous or exogenous in nature.  If you subscribe to the former, I don't know how you avoid the position of inferiority - other differences (cultural, family structure, etc.) cited as explaining those differences in outcomes don't occur in a vacuum and have their own causes.  

There are obviously more than one variable in play here.  Single parent families have been on the rise for all races in the USA since 1940.  It's just hit the black community more than others.  It's not a position of "inferiority" but being honest that the problem hit certain groups harder than others.  Maybe something prior to 1940 put the black community into a more vulnerable position.

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Demos study? Give me a break. Of course they didn’t compare the outcomes of blacks that come from from two parent households vs a single parent household. Hint: it’s devastating. They’re a liberal think tank with ulterior motives. 

7 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Communities that place value education, family, and hard work will always succeed.  No matter the discrimination.  See Jews.  And Asian immigrants.

Would you contend that black Americans do not value education, family, and hard work? Please answer honestly and directly.

1 minute ago, Mole said:

To the other issue of those claiming racism on this thread, there's a difference between saying a trait is inherent in someone due to skin color (racism) and saying that an unhealthy practice has become widespread in a particular community.

If that is all that was happening, I'd agree that the accusation of racism is unjustified. However, that's not all that is being said.

Obama is saying what every black religious leader has been saying in living memory. The audience had heard that speech a thousand times before and a thousand times since.

If you see Obama’s talk about black fatherhood as something remarkable or unique all you’re revealing is that you have no insight into black communities, because “they” have talked about that shit fucking forever. The idea that black Americans are ignorant to the importance of family is racist ignorance at its purest.

Just now, Amobie said:

That's not all he's saying. You're willfully ignoring his actual words and message.

Just now, Amobie said:

There are obviously more than one variable in play here.  Single parent families have been on the rise for all races in the USA since 1940.  It's just hit the black community more than others.  It's not a position of "inferiority" but being honest that the problem hit certain groups harder than others.  Maybe something prior to 1940 put the black community into a more vulnerable position.

Maybe. I wonder what that something could be. Hmmmm. 

11 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

He is being racist. He thinks there is something wrong with black people. That's racist.

I’m pointing out a flaw in their community that can be corrected and that I fully believe is achievable. That’s not racism. 

1 minute ago, Chrispy said:

Demos study? Give me a break. Of course they didn’t compare the outcomes of blacks that come from from two parent households vs a single parent household. Hint: it’s devastating. They’re a liberal think tank with ulterior motives. 

They compared blacks that come from two parent households vs. whites from single parent households. It blows up your argument that it's better to have two parents. 

1 minute ago, Chrispy said:

I’m pointing out a flaw in their community that can be corrected and that I fully believe is achievable. That’s not racism. 

Whilst refusing to admit that "whiteys" past oppression just might have been the cause or a large contributing factor. Convenient!

12 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Kinda funny how a thread about selective enforcement of Starbucks policy devolves into a thread about crime rates and out off wedlock. But then again who am I kidding. These threads always attract those who can't type fast enough inorder to justify racism because absentee fathers.

This is exactly the type of thing I referred to when I said that statements of fact become racially insensitive oppression against minorities.

How is it even remotely racist to state a true statement that a majority of black children grow up fatherless? (Pancho’s stats are trash to refute this abject fact) Further, how is it a racist leap in logic to conclude that factors such as poverty, the absence of a stable male role model, lack of higher education and emotional scars may potentially lead to the cycle repeating itself generation after generation when it's a common bond? Lastly, explain how my “White Privilege” contributes into this problem, which factors into the black community failing to advance in society? Could it possibly be the environment created by the community itself or are we sticking with the notion that it just has to be some institutional bogeyman named “White Privilege”? I need individual instances of racism to help fight it with you, not blanket accusations.

But it’s so much easier to say “Racist!!!” than it is to spend time critically thinking about the issue. Of course, and this is the Catch-22, it’s not my issue to solve as a white guy nor is my input wanted or appreciated. I can’t possibly know what it feels like to be oppressed and therefore cannot have a say on the matter.

• Like 1

Just now, Brian Fantana said:

I dunno, telling them they have to fix all their problems (a fair percentage of which we most definitely caused) themselves seems like the equivalent of breaking someone's knee with a baseball bat and then asking them why they can't get up. 

Holy shit...  So you caused all the problems with the help of your friends?  I guess we all know who to blame now.