Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

Just now, immamac said:

You bring up a weird point here: Standing there with the horns up while other people sing it. Why can't it just be horns up for 10-15s then whoever wants to go in and not sing EoT goes and those who want to stay sing EoT?

Right.

Like I said in July, this is 100% about people in positions of power not wanting to make controversial decisions, and we all get to pay the price of their cowardice.

Imagine if CDC said in late July, "OK, the players come over to the student section, we all sing 'Texas Fight!' and the band plays 'Wabash Cannonball' as the players who want to leave run back to the locker room with their Horns high. Then the band will play 'The Eyes of Texas' and the remaining players and fans will sing that together."

Now, there would still be the fan/player unity thing going and 'The Eyes' becomes optional without making players choose between leaving without standing with the fans and being present for the singing of a song they consider racist/racially problematic.

CDC/Herman's cowardice put us here, and grown men are screaming at the young black athletes about it instead of holding the two powerful white men accountable.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

You bring up a weird point here: Standing there with the horns up while other people sing it. Why can't it just be horns up for 10-15s then whoever wants to go in and not sing EoT goes and those who want to stay sing EoT?

poof. magic.

what is weird about it?

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Volleyball team protested the Eyes.  They are still #1 in the country. 

It’s not the protest.  It’s the team.  The problem is several people keep thinking the protest is correlated to the lack of success of the football team when they fail to realize the team just sucks ass and that’s Tom Herman’s fault. 

That was dumb as well. Not singing something that's not racist just proves that you're not actually being taught to think critically. It's actually a sad indictment on the University.

Edited by maninblack
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, maninblack said:

That was dumb as well. Not singing something that's not racist just proves that you're not actually being taught to thing critically. It's actually a sad indictment on the University.

stop calling people who feel marginalized by racism "not able to think critically". Like holy absolute fuck. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Well our donors apparently want the AD to force the players to stand at attention. 

nobody is asking them to stand at attention or sing it.  how many shots, after games, when we lose(or even win) have you seen players not singing and just hanging in a group until the song is over?  usually some of them don't even have horns up(after a loss).  the only team I see that does it consistently is baseball.

Just now, immamac said:

stop calling people who feel marginalized by racism "not able to think critically". Like holy absolute fuck. 

If you think the EoT marginalizes people then we are on such different wave lengths that it's not even worth discussing. Like holy absolute fuck. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maninblack said:

That was dumb as well. Not singing something that's not racist just proves that you're not actually being taught to think critically. It's actually a sad indictment on the University.

Yes, everyone who doesn’t agree with you and your white male experiences isn’t thinking critically.  

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

It’s par for the course, man.

Black people only get to think something is racist if we agree with them and give them our blessing. So really, WE (mostly white guys) get to decide what’s racist. Black people don’t get a say.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, maninblack said:

And if you could think critically you would realize they aren't refraining because they think the song is racist. 

Well the whole thing is absolutely stupid.  The players picking this hill to die on sets them up for an extreme negative reaction unless they had a championship run.   The topic is way too emotional for 95% of the fan base.  

Know your fucking audience.  

But they are just young (and dumb by default) and don’t understand the economy of influence.   Meaning they are just one of thousands that can play this game at that level.      

Just now, Knighthawk said:

Well the whole thing is absolutely stupid.  The players picking this hill to die on sets them up for an extreme negative reaction unless they had a championship run.   The topic is way too emotional for 95% of the fan base.  

Know your fucking audience.  

But they are just young (and dumb by default) and don’t understand the economy of influence.   Meaning they are just one of thousands that can play this game at that level.      

Counterpoint: With regard to the Eyes of Texas, they are getting extremely positive reaction from the people whose opinions they value.

2 minutes ago, maninblack said:

It's because I'm white....of course

Any other reason for your condescending and disparaging comments to the athletes it’s clear you’re talking about claiming their protest means they aren’t thinking critically?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Knighthawk said:

Well the whole thing is absolutely stupid.  

Yes it is and you don't have to be a particular color to know that. You have to be able to use your brain. If you'd like to bring light to actual issues in the world then inventing something that doesn't exist isn't the way to do it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, Pancho said:

Any other reason for your condescending and disparaging comments to the athletes it’s clear you’re talking about claiming their protest means they aren’t thinking critically?

Of course to you I'm racist for pointing out the insanity of the situation. It just happens to be driven by young adults that very little life experience but are easily influenced.

3 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Of course to you I'm racist for pointing out the insanity of the situation. It just happens to be driven by young adults that very little life experience but are easily influenced.

You are implying that the student athletes who have a differing opinion aren't capable of critical thinking. You have also implied that they can't use their brain. Most of those student athletes are people of color.

That's a bad look.

Edited by David Dennison

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It’s par for the course, man.

Black people only get to think something is racist if we agree with them and give them our blessing. So really, WE (mostly white guys) get to decide what’s racist. Black people don’t get a say.

F this crap.   Because people are white they don’t get to be part of the conversation.  What a load of crap.  

2 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

F this crap.   Because people are white they don’t get to be part of the conversation.  What a load of crap.  

like literally, yes. If you are white you cannot be a part of the "what is racist" conversation. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, maninblack said:

I never called you racist fool.

But I did imply you have a different life experience as a white male.  That doesn’t mean I, or anyone else, thinks you are a racist.  It just means you’re dismissive of others’ experiences because they don’t align with yours.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Part of the conversation? Of course. Absolutely. It’s a great idea. A conversation is a fantastic idea. I’m all for it. We (via our representatives affiliated with the alumni etc) should absolutely have an ongoing conversation with the university’s black athletes. A good part of that is listening. White guys have spent 400 years telling black people how it is, and then telling them to STFU. So, listening would be good.

Just a note, though...calling a essential party to that conversation a bunch of dumb motherfuckers who aren’t capable of critical thinking isn’t a conversation. Like, at all.

3 hours ago, Nivek said:

This is the same fucking argument for flying a confederate flag rebottled, repackaged, and rebranded but still the same  wine/whine.

The Eyes of Texas is not the same as flying a confederate flag. Get a fucking clue. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, MadBurgerMaker said:

What are white people allowed to be a part of?

the "how can we be more inclusive" or "how can we make sure the past is the past" or the "how can we keep our word" or the "how can we better understand how you feel" conversations are pretty good ones to start with. 

• Like 3

Just now, immamac said:

the "how can we be more inclusive" or "how can we make sure the past is the past" or the "how can we keep our word" or the "how can we better understand how you feel" conversations are pretty good ones to start with. 

Ah okay.  So which conversations are black people not allowed to be a part of?  Hispanic people?  Asian people? 

The logic is inescapable. Every football player we want has offers from 30 or 40 other universities.  Most of them aren't going to come here with this controversy going on. If we can't convince the players who are already on campus that singing the eyes with the fans is a nice tradition, then we have zero chance of convincing those who are just being recruited. We are eventually going to jettison the song, at least as a postgame tradition, but probably altogether. Is that going to make a lot of people mad, including big donors? Yep.. The players don't hold the cards, but the recruits are holding 4 aces.

Is it crazy? Yep.  But that's how it has to play out.  Soon to be ex-coach Herman has painted us into a corner from which there is no escape.

Thread should be merged with the doom/protest thread on Daily Texan.

At one point, I think people thought that arguments should succeed or fail based on their merits. Today, it seems like many people feel the exact opposite. The merits are meaningless. What matters is the identity of the speaker.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, CDAK said:

Thread should be merged with the doom/protest thread on Daily Texan.

At one point, I think people thought that arguments should succeed or fail based on their merits. Today, it seems like many people feel the exact opposite. The merits are meaningless. What matters is the identity of the speaker.

No it should stay because we have an "intersection" of athletics and social life. Let the Surly people chime in.

Fighting tooth and nail for a song that 25% of the stadium hums out on a good day is nothing more than fighting for the status quo and being a scared little pussy about change and differing ideas.  Being 1,000% behind the human beings that make up the team you love to watch and giving up tired old symbols that can easily be replaced by newer better symbols is what many of these players were hoping for, instead there's a whole lot of half ass... Which is what we the fans are getting in return from them on Saturdays

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, maninblack said:

Really? 

What just cuz I'm not a fucking pussy I don't give 2 fucks about your feelings. I'm not going to fucking let you come in here and spew a bunch of trash because you "got some scoop" herman is getting fired and you happen to be on some hate train related to the players not wanting to sing EoT because they are supposedly "lacking in critical thinking skills" and "don't have brains".

So yeah, fuck you. I gave you a way out and let you know what was alright and in bounds and what wasn't in a post you made, then you proceeded to take only the parts that were unacceptable and use those as the position.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 2

6 minutes ago, JohnLocke said:

If we can't convince the players who are already on campus that singing the eyes with the fans is a nice tradition, then we have zero chance of convincing those who are just being recruited.

I think you have it backwards but I could be wrong.