Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

8 hours ago, UTEX_ME said:

Imagine a stadium full of fans not singing a bland and woke new song. 

Imagine the shock and horror on the faces of the players when no one stays to sing their new song with them.

When everyone leaves at the end of the game.

When everyone has their backs to them.

When the band, pom and cheer are packing their shit during the woke new song.

Maybe the students with no history with eyes will stand with the players.

And the player's families.

And in time, say, 20 years down the road, their will be alumni who don't remember eyes.

And Texas will still suck at football, because the tower and belmont just don't fucking care about winning.

I guess they can turn all the suites in to classrooms, because the cigars and bmd are going to get tired of paying top $ to be aggy.

wow, all of those non-sequitur strawmen were fun to type.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, maninblack said:

Anyone that thinks the EoT is racist and won't sing it is obviously a fucking idiot and it's great way of determining if they're capable of critical thought and deserve a degree from Texas

There are people graduating from the University of Texas with degrees in "critical" theory.  That's a big part of the problem that is much larger than just the song. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, tjhooker said:

I am actually starting to dislike this team more than some of the schools we play.  That's not good. I'm a grad, donor and have probably been to a 100+ games. 

You are not a grad or a donor, and have never been to a Texas game and never will. So why are you still here? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zeus said:

It's not money it's just what is obviously right. You bow down to the woke mob they just find the next thing to call you racist over until you do that too. It's not even about being progressive, it's about control.

If the players don’t want to sing it the song shouldn’t be sung. If you don’t support the players of your own team then find another team to support. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

If players don’t want to sing don’t sing. If they had a coach with a backbone they’d be doing what the volleyball team is doing. 

standing there regardless if they’re singing or not. It’s about respecting the fans/alumni/etc that have built this program. 

to walk off like they did is inexcusable and it’s Tom Herman’s fault. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

The Players sang the song in the locker room after the UTEP win. They didn't refuse to sing The Eyes because it's racist, they refused because it confronts them with the fact that they suck at football. 

Agree with that angle. I don’t hate the players for deciding to go into the locker room during the song. I don’t like that they left Sam out there, but that could be indicative of bigger team cohesion issue which are all on Tom Herman. 

9 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

The Players sang the song in the locker room after the UTEP win. They didn't refuse to sing The Eyes because it's racist, they refused because it confronts them with the fact that they suck at football. 

What? Pretty sure they sang the fight song, not the alma mater. 

3 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

image.jpeg.6931358ea72fbdace03025b5f02ba94a.jpeg

“big CB”

For fucksake...

The players have reached peak spoiled brat syndrome. They are lashing out at former players? They have no self control, no self respect, no rooted identity. They certainly have no pride in the way they play or represent the university. This is sad

When Tom said the team cancelled a day of practice to discuss social injustice, I knew this team was lost. In a season where they already missed so much practice time, every hour of practice is more precious than ever. Tom should have said, "No, we'll practice as normal...then, afterwards, we can spend time talking about whatever you want."

People who want to win, do whatever it takes to win. Apparently, Tom and the team don't care that much about winning.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

That’s the big disconnect here with the song. The fans enjoy it. The players clearly despise it. But there is something special in a song or chant when don’t in a large group. It is unifying and the sense of togetherness is powerful. The fans feel that the players are disrespecting them by not singing. The players feel the fans are disrespecting by not understanding how they feel. Everyone is being disrespected.

WE NEED A NEW UNIFYING, RALLYING CRY! I hate to even bring up pedo state but they rally together. We need to find a way to do the same!

In the past, most players just stood during the song and halfway held up a Horns sign. Nobody cared because at least they were standing in unity with their teammates and fans. I don't think that's too much to ask from players.

If VY brought up issues with the song after the National Championship, I would have given it a lot more consideration. Or even if Ricky or Earl disapproved today. Because it's like Augie said: the world treats winners different than losers.

When you play like this team does and complain about the Eyes, you're just being a pussyassbitch.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, BevoSwag said:

Football dynasties like OU were built on cheating and cutting corners.  Remember Nebraska?  Say hello to FSU or tOSU or USC or Auburn or aggy or SMU.  What has happened to Michigan and UT was inevitable when you refuse to get down in the mud with your competitors.  Somehow we were able to manage the tight rope when Mac Brown was here.  We will see how the rest of the season plays out but I for one am truly surprised at the apparent softness of Herman.

Michigan just has problems with one game. They're not losing to the likes of TCU or Kansas over having multiple losing seasons in a decade like the Horns have. 

38 minutes ago, stork642 said:

If the players feel the university is so racist and oppressive maybe they should attend a different school.  Why did they come to UT in the first place?  Did the university spring The Eyes on them after they were already enrolled.  

Or, and this is a crazy idea, the university and its alumni base could make an effort to understand why some of its hallowed traditions might be offensive and work to alleviate those that cause harm.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Or, and this is a crazy idea, the university and its alumni base could make an effort to understand why some of its hallowed traditions might be offensive and work to alleviate those that cause harm.

Or they can fuck off and be woke at Southern or State. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Meanwhile, aggy players upset over Sully statue and still beat Florida. 

UT players looking to excuse their suckitude.

Edited by Deej

6 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I don't know why I keep coming back to this, but it bothers me.

I'm not anti- "woke mob."  I think most of the points they raised (speaking generally and in terms of Texas football) are pretty reasonable.  And I find the act of demanding action to be pretty reasonable, also, even if it serves as a distraction from the principal purpose of playing football and playing it well.

But I think the criticism of The Eyes is just "off the mark," if not wrong.  I am virtually certain that it became disliked among certain players based on rumor and innuendo, namely that the lyrics were rooted in some "slave surveillance" something or other.  Something that is demonstrably false.  Also, I'm sure that, regardless of any racist connection whatsoever, some of the callow youth found it "corny," or not au courant and relevant like Wet Ass Pussy.

It turns out that it does have some "racist-adjacent" origins, but I don't think that was really the source of the problem.  A misunderstanding was the problem, possibly rooted in some knowledge of the actual facts, but wildly distorted into a false narrative.

I'm not sure what went on behind closed doors, but we know that most of the players demands were met on their terms.  The Eyes was an exception, but I'm not sure what sort of dialog was had over it.

I'm not comfortable calling the demand concerning The Eyes to be some sort of "control" issue, I legitimately think it was based on misunderstanding and possibly a dislike of the song irrespective of any racial history or connotation.

As mentioned upthread, the post-game ritual or ceremony is meaningful to a lot of people and one might hope would be meaningful to at least some of the players (given that a lot of players don't actually give a solitary fuck about the University of Texas, it's just a meal ticket to them).

It would seem that some sort of public "healing" or reconciliation conversation could be had to explain the actual facts so that a) it doesn't remain a "sticking point," and b) the post-game ritual is maintained.  No one should have to actually sing it, but I think the stigma should be addressed and removed to the extent it can be.

The Eyes of Texas is not analogous to Confederate statues, or worship of Sull Ross or Robt. E. Lee, or dorms named after Simkins, etc.  It's just not.

This is the genertion lf "reimagine".  The Jedi Mind Tricks that they do to come up with new ways to be offended should not be surprising to you Twice.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think the point isn't that you don't get to tell people what's offensive. It's that most of us white fans weren't told the history of the song. But black folks know. And now, after decades of singing it without knowing, it's going to take some time to accept reality. And some people aren't going to accept the reality.

Make no mistake: This is a recruiting problem. Not that they won't sing it; but that we will be too stubborn to take action on it.

This isn't "woke" or "sjw" whatever those words you teenagers are using these days. This is just basic decent humans struggling to realize that they've been doing something that lacks basic human decency.

So on the one hand, the song needs to go. On the other, you can't rush these things.

I personally think the University's response has been great, because it's focused on addressing the core of the issue: That the real history of the song hasn't been taught.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

You don't get to tell people what they find offensive. That's not up to you.

And you/they don't get to tell people to continue to put powder on their asses and keep buying tickets.

See how that works?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, OUsucks69 said:

Michigan just has problems with one game. They're not losing to the likes of TCU or Kansas over having multiple losing seasons in a decade like the Horns have. 

Michigan has trouble with MSU, WIS, PSU, and Iowa too. 7-7 against those team under Harbaugh. Michigan has once enter the Ohio State game with 0 B1G losses. They lost their next 2 games 103-54.

1 minute ago, tjhooker said:

Sure you can be upset about something. Doesn't mean it's justified and based on logic. 

It's based on the history of the song being performed at minstrel shows at the University of Texas.

Black student athletes aren't having it anymore. A whole lot of white ones seem to agree.

Deal with it.

• Fuck You 4

Just now, Cajun said:

Deal with it?  That's rich coming from a guy rescue rangering a bunch of pussies who can't do exactly that - Deal with it.

They very much are dealing with it. That's what you're upset about.

By the way, you can sing the Eyes of Texas as loud as you want wherever you want. Go nuts.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It's based on the history of the song being performed at minstrel shows at the University of Texas.

Black student athletes aren't having it anymore. A whole lot of white ones seem to agree.

Deal with it.

Then we should just eliminate the entire University since it was founded at a time when African-Americans weren't welcome? 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Bevo VIII said:

Seems like former black athletes don’t really give a shit. Seems like it’s only these pompous titty baby current crop that actually cares. And it appears it’s just a small segment of the football team. 

the team leaving the field except for Sam yesterday had nothing to do with school song and everything to do with shitty discipline from the head coach. 

these players are exactly what their coach is a loud mouth front running bitch that folds when they get punched in the mouth. 

now take your dumbass bullshit back to the cloak room bitch. 

You don't think it has anything to do with the song?

Just wait til basketball season.

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Deal with it.

I see you chose your words carefully. If students ate popcorn at minstrel shows back then would you suggest cancelling popcorn? Or maybe force the university to sell multicolored popcorn?

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

And what do the UT football players want to control about your life?

It wasn't the players idea, the players are endlessly staring at their phones. The phones are telling them everything around them is racist, because some purple hair xer traced the history of everything we do that brings us together, and find why it's racist. It's to tear us apart, and it worked. 

They did this to the Gators too, banning gator bait chant because of a newspaper article from the 1800s. When in reality the chant was partially created by Lawrence Wright.

https://youtu.be/vNR2huVcJYw

https://www.gatorsports.com/football/20200618/lawrence-wright-disagrees-with-fuchs-decision-to-drop-gator-bait-cheer/

• Hook 'Em 5