Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

6 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

The song's origin is in minstrelsy. We can parse lyrics and historical allusions all day, but its initial introduction to the 40 was via minstrelsy and that historical fact will never change.

No one disputes the latter point.  Let me go get what I posted in the locked thread...

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

You don't think it has anything to do with the song?

Just wait til basketball season.

Lmao just look at majority of the team that stayed for it after the Tech game(a win) and look how many stayed after a loss(TCU- more stayed for that one and Oklahoma). It’s crazy how two losses in a row occur and they then choose not to stay for it.

Definitely something that makes you go hmmmmm  

it’s literally lack of discipline and leadership from Herman down and it shows with these players attacking former players on Twitter. 

they’re loud mouth front running bitches like Tom. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Lmao just look at majority of the team that stayed for it after the Tech game(a win) and look how many stayed after a loss(TCU- more stayed for that one and Oklahoma). It’s crazy how two losses in a row occur and they then choose not to stay for it.

it’s literally lack of discipline and leadership from Herman down and it shows with these players attacking former players on Twitter. 

Whatever it takes to take attention off their shitty performance. 

Want to make an impact? 

Win and then say "Fuck your song!"

Edited by Deej

48 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Or, and this is a crazy idea, the university and its alumni base could make an effort to understand why some of its hallowed traditions might be offensive and work to alleviate those that cause harm.

Oops.  Someone left the CR gate open.  Dennis is here to woke us all up.  Last I checked the university said yes to everything on the list except for this ridiculous demand.  

Edited by stork642
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Yep.

Win and everyone is elated and staying for the Eyes like against tech.

Lose and everyone goes to pout on Twitter and be offended by everything - leaving the QB by himself to stand for the Eyes. They are cowards.

PSX-20201010-162342.jpg

I don't think firing the coach is going to change the culture of bitchassedness, but it can't hurt.

Chris Ash seems like he isn't scared to hurt someone's fee fees, let him finish up the season.

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Or, and this is a crazy idea, the university and its alumni base could make an effort to understand why some of its hallowed traditions might be offensive and work to alleviate those that cause harm.

the effort has been made, your premise has been weighed and measured, and has been found wanting.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Deej said:

Meanwhile, aggy players upset over Sully statue and still beat Florida. 

UT players looking to excuse their suckitude.

and get this just in!  Sul Ross was actually racist, and our song is not.

AND we already nuked all of our statues, including one (Albert Sidney Johnston) who did service in the US Army that should have merited his statue a better fate than woke eradication.

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It's based on the history of the song being performed at minstrel shows at the University of Texas.

Black student athletes aren't having it anymore. A whole lot of white ones seem to agree.

Deal with it.

you use the word SHOWS as in plural.  please cite the historical evidence that binds the song to minstelry in the plural tense at The University.

in addition, please show your work with historical evidence that the folk music memorialized at Princeton 10 years earlier had a racist origin and intent.

finally, please show your work with historical evidence that the lyrics to the Texas version of the song were not directed towards the then-current leadership of The University.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

and get this just in!  Sul Ross was actually racist, and our song is not.

AND we already nuked all of our statues, including one (Albert Sidney Johnston) who did service in the US Army that should have merited his statue a better fate than woke eradication.

We went and took pictures of our son in front of the Washington statue before that one goes too.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

No. You should change the policy of the university to welcome African-Americans all races and all classes in the top 6.5% of their class in the State of Texas.  Which is exactly what happened.

You really need to go over texags and apply your sjw energy to equal rights for prairie view and commerce.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Meanwhile, aggy players upset over Sully statue and still beat Florida. 

UT players looking to excuse their suckitude.

LOL.  If Mond delivers the SEC the aggnoids will help him tear down the statue and drag it to the bondfire.

7 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

There are people graduating from the University of Texas with degrees in "critical" theory.  That's a big part of the problem that is much larger than just the song. 

The University has been losing control for a long time. A purge of the insane needs to happen.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Just now, BevoSwag said:

LOL.  If Mond delivers the SEC the aggnoids will help him tear down the statue and drag it to the bondfire.

They'll say it was the ghost of Sully leading them to victory. They will never accept a black man could lead them to the promised land. 

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

you use the word SHOWS as in plural.  please cite the historical evidence that binds the song to minstelry in the plural tense at The University.

in addition, please show your work with historical evidence that the folk music memorialized at Princeton 10 years earlier had a racist origin and intent.

finally, please show your work with historical evidence that the lyrics to the Texas version of the song were not directed towards the then-current leadership of The University.

What's crazy is the actual lyrics, I've always interpreted it as everyone that has ever gone to Texas is expecting you to work hard on self improvement. There's nowhere to hide from the eyes because you are also one of them.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Teach me.

You probably remember a version of the story that goes something like this (from https://www.texasexes.org/about-us/history-and-traditions/eyes-texas)

Prather, ...  decided to end his inaugural speech as UT president with the words "the eyes of Texas are upon you."

The speech was so well received, Prather began to end all of his talks the same way. The students, of course, picked up on it immediately, and it became an ongoing campus joke to chant "Remember, the eyes of Texas are upon you!" at sporting events, concerts, and just about every social occasion. Prather took the good-natured kidding as it was intended. He knew that, at least, the students were listening to him.

... Wednesday evening, May 12, 1903, in the Hancock Opera House on West Sixth Street, and was packed with music, dances, skits, and even a tumbling act. Proceeds from the show would pay for the University Track team to attend the All-South Track and Field Competition in Atlanta.

... The fourth piece listed on the printed program was cryptically labeled a "Selection" by the Varsity Quartet.

With President Prather sitting in the audience, four students: Jim Kivlehen, Ralph Porter, Bill Smith and Jim Cannon, accompanied by John Sinclair on the banjo, took the stage and unleashed Sinclair's creation:

...which was an early version of "The Eyes."

Now, you'll notice some ellipses in the story above. Let me put the words back into place, and highlight them. This is the full story:

Prather, who became the University's president in 1899, had attended Washington College in Virginia (now Washington and Lee University), and often heard its president at the time - General Robert E. Lee - tell the students, "Remember, the eyes of the South are upon you." Prather particularly liked this phrase, and decided to end his inaugural speech as UT president with the words "the eyes of Texas are upon you."

The speech was so well received, Prather began to end all of his talks the same way. The students, of course, picked up on it immediately, and it became an ongoing campus joke to chant "Remember, the eyes of Texas are upon you!" at sporting events, concerts, and just about every social occasion. Prather took the good-natured kidding as it was intended. He knew that, at least, the students were listening to him.

A Varsity Minstrel Show was scheduled for Wednesday evening, May 12, 1903, in the Hancock Opera House on West Sixth Street, and was packed with music, dances, skits, and even a tumbling act. Proceeds from the show would pay for the University Track team to attend the All-South Track and Field Competition in Atlanta.

Leading off the show was an overture by the Varsity Band, followed by "Oh, The Lovely Girls," "Old Kentucky Home," and "The Castle on the Nile" performed by the University Chorus or student soloists. The fourth piece listed on the printed program was cryptically labeled a "Selection" by the Varsity Quartet.

With President Prather sitting in the audience, four students: Jim Kivlehen, Ralph Porter, Bill Smith and Jim Cannon, accompanied by John Sinclair on the banjo, took the stage and unleashed Sinclair's creation:

Note that the Texas Exes' page was last updated this July. Along with the whole story, there is this page describing the issue and recent history. You may not have been aware of the boldfaced bits. I certainly wasn't.

It's not because we weren't paying attention. It's because these bits were deliberately left out. We forget that the world-class university most of us attended, and the cosmopolitan state we call home, weren't this way during the Civil Rights Movement. Black men don't forget these things, though. The world-famous astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson attended UT in the early 1980s, and has very few nice things to say about being a black man on the university campus at that time. As that stance and culture changed -- and justifiably so -- during the 1980s, what was once merely embarrassing details that had been swept under the rug became forgotten and ignored.

Again. This isn't about being "woke" or "Politically Correct." This doesn't require you to be a "Social Justice Warrior." You don't have to become a commie lib or vote Democrat or support Tom Herman or anything stupid like that. This is just new shit coming to light.

I imagine most of y'all will tl;dr this post; what I'm asking you to do probably looks and feels a lot like work. And it's not comfortable. Especially when we associate the song with something that is near and dear to our hearts and tremendously positive.

But it's the association that makes it positive, not the song itself. Any new song that we adopt will become just as dear when sung loudly, hoarsely, and off-key after defeating the wretched Gooners for the sixth time in a row, after winning back-to-back national championships, or even after a routine pummeling of Maryland. "The new cheese is even better than the old cheese."

Now fuck off, Sniff and Scurry, I have cats.

6 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I could accept getting rid of the Eyes if it was Earl, Ricky, VY.  

But these current pussies?   Fuck them.  They haven’t earned shit nor done anything but embarrass our school on the field.  

No football player, or group of players for that matter, is great enough to justify getting rid of the Eyes based on the false narrative promulgated by fuckstick SJWs. Hero worship is a poor excuse for compromising principles.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

You probably remember a version of the story that goes something like this (from https://www.texasexes.org/about-us/history-and-traditions/eyes-texas)

Now, you'll notice some ellipses in the story above. Let me put the words back into place, and highlight them. This is the full story:

Note that the Texas Exes' page was last updated this July. Along with the whole story, there is this page describing the issue and recent history. You may not have been aware of the boldfaced bits. I certainly wasn't.

It's not because we weren't paying attention. It's because these bits were deliberately left out. We forget that the world-class university most of us attended, and the cosmopolitan state we call home, weren't this way during the Civil Rights Movement. Black men don't forget these things, though. The world-famous astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson attended UT in the early 1980s, and has very few nice things to say about being a black man on the university campus at that time. As that stance and culture changed -- and justifiably so -- during the 1980s, what was once merely embarrassing details that had been swept under the rug became forgotten and ignored.

Again. This isn't about being "woke" or "Politically Correct." This doesn't require you to be a "Social Justice Warrior." You don't have to become a commie lib or vote Democrat or support Tom Herman or anything stupid like that. This is just new shit coming to light.

I imagine most of y'all will tl;dr this post; what I'm asking you to do probably looks and feels a lot like work. And it's not comfortable. Especially when we associate the song with something that is near and dear to our hearts and tremendously positive.

But it's the association that makes it positive, not the song itself. Any new song that we adopt will become just as dear when sung loudly, hoarsely, and off-key after defeating the wretched Gooners for the sixth time in a row, after winning back-to-back national championships, or even after a routine pummeling of Maryland. "The new cheese is even better than the old cheese."

Thanks for clearing that up.

I have often used the phrase "Family above all." But I know Nazis used to sing "Germany above all." So I shall quit using my hateful phrase.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

Ain't you got somewhere else to be? CR's calling.

Why does the longhorn band still play the eyes of Texas? Why don’t they compose a new school song, and then tell the players this is the new song, we’re gonna play it after games, and you will sing it with the band or you will be dismissed from the team?

8 hours ago, tjhooker said:

I am actually starting to dislike this team more than some of the schools we play.  That's not good. I'm a grad, donor and have probably been to a 100+ games. 

You should take your ball and go home, and start rooting for a different team instead of pretending to root for Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

27 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Jesus, I had forgotten how flimsy their argument was. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

It's based on the history of the song being performed at minstrel shows at the University of Texas.

Black student athletes aren't having it anymore. A whole lot of white ones seem to agree.

Deal with it.

People are placating because it is better than being called a racist.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Poe It Up said:

Jesus, I had forgotten how flimsy their argument was. 

We have a 94 person diversity department full of sociology and _____ studies majors and that was the best they could come up with.  

And people wonder why education costs have exploded.  

• Hook 'Em 1

You don't think it has anything to do with the song?

Just wait til basketball season.

You mean the season that even without all the woke butthurt no one gives a shit about?  That basketball season?

Strong point.

lulz

Some of y’all sure do like the word “woke.”

And if you are gonna shit all over the players for things that have nothing to do with the field of play and doesn’t fit your political non “woke” narrative then find another team to root for.

This ain’t the pros where you are free to crap over any player you want for any reason you want. These players are representing Texas.

If you hate the players just because they don’t want to sing a song then start rooting for the Cowboys and Jerry Jones or something. 

Edited by JimmyJames
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 5

58 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

He won't because he can't.  Too thick of a thread.

DD only works with the thinnest.

2 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Yup.

They don't agree, they just don't want to put up with the histrionics and foot stomping.

“I am opposed to histrionics and foot stomping” says an adult throwing a hissy fit on the Internet because college kids won’t sing his favorite song to him.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

It is cute that you think that's what this is.

Kinda sweet/disturbing in a Cuties kinda way how you run to their rescue.  Fact and enjoyment of watching Karma work on crybabies does not equate to histrionics.  Sorry amigo.  But hey, that's some fine white knighting you're layin' down.  Damned impressive!

LMAO

Edited by Cajun

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

That's a tremendous amount of authentic frontier gibberish to provide no evidence that the UT students in 1903 had any awareness of the reason Prather used Lee's phrase that Prather had heard at a minimum of 33 years prior. 

Robert E. Lee died in 1870.  The 1903 students would be conceived at least 10 years later.

Please show your work and provide historical evidence that Lee's use of the phrase "the eyes of the south are upon you" before 1870 was a racist inspiration for the UT students in 1903 when they turned Prather's use of the phrase in to a lyric to a folk song.

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

There is zero historical evidence that the music or lyrics of the folk version or the Texas version are racist.  You can write a billion gigs of woke rant and it won't change the fact that there is zero historical evidence that the song itself is racist in any way shape or form, an ugly fact which will not be downed.

UT football players are not woke SJWs. That take is nothing but yours and others' inability to differentiate between things that make you angry. 

UT football players are not woke SJWs. They aren't putting trans flags on their dorm room doors. They aren't participating in callout circles to talk about their privilege. They aren't dying their hair blue and on Twitter trying to cancel people for gendering babies. They aren't protesting for PETA. They aren't boycotting Nike for using leather in their products. They aren't demanding to play with vegan footballs. They aren't counter-protesting MAGA rallies.

UT football players are not woke SJWs. Anyone arguing they are is either genuinely stupid or dishonest. Anyone arguing that the UT football players are woke SJWs is just infecting our shared university and its athletics with their political bitterness.

The UT football players are concerned with one single issue here: Black rights.

Regarding The Eyes, you are focusing on the lyrics and origin of the song itself as if the ONLY objection to it is that the song itself is inherently racist. Whether or not it is can be immaterial to a black athlete or Longhorn, because as you acknowledge: The song was introduced to us at a minstrel show.

"BUT THE SONG ITSELF ISN'T RACIST!"
- OK, great, it was still introduced at a minstrel show.

"BUT IT MAKES ME FEEL GOOD!"
- "OK, great, it was still introduced at a minstrel show.

If all of our black players say, "We can overlook the fact that it was born in minstrelsy" then great, we can sing it.
If our black players say, "We cannot overlook the fact that it was born in minstrelsy" then we shouldn't sing it.

It's out of your hands. It's out of my hands. It's out of our hands as white people. We got to decide for well over a century and now we don't get to decide this one anymore. We can either be gracious as our black friends work it out or we can be toxic, divisive, awful shitheads. That is the only actual choice we have.

This isn't a woke thing. This is a basic common decency thing and a desire to stand united behind our players.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

19 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

Get a degree from Texas and go to the amount of games I have then you can say I'm pretend fan because I'm disgusted about the team leaving Sam as the only 1 showing up after the game.  Go troll in CR. Who let you out? 

Dude. You are the one who had never heard of the saying “take your ball and go home.”  It’s not like those posts have disappeared. 

16 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

UT football players are not woke SJWs. That take is nothing but yours and others' inability to differentiate between things that make you angry. 

UT football players are not woke SJWs. They aren't putting trans flags on their dorm room doors. They aren't participating in callout circles to talk about their privilege. They aren't dying their hair blue and on Twitter trying to cancel people for gendering babies. They aren't protesting for PETA. They aren't boycotting Nike for using leather in their products. They aren't demanding to play with vegan footballs. They aren't counter-protesting MAGA rallies.

UT football players are not woke SJWs. Anyone arguing they are is either genuinely stupid or dishonest. Anyone arguing that the UT football players are woke SJWs is just infecting our shared university and its athletics with their political bitterness.

Regarding The Eyes, you are focusing on the lyrics and origin of the song itself as if the ONLY objection to it is that the song itself is inherently racist. Whether or not it is can be immaterial to a black athlete or Longhorn, because as you acknowledge: The song was introduced to us at a minstrel show.

If all of our black players say, "We can overlook the fact that it was born in minstrelsy" then great, we can sing it.
If our black players say, "We cannot overlook the fact that it was born in minstrelsy" then we shouldn't sing it.

It's out of your hands. It's out of my hands. It's out of our hands as white people. We got to decide for well over a century and now we don't get to decide this one anymore. We can either be gracious as our black friends work it out or we can be toxic, divisive, awful shitheads. That is the only actual choice we have.

This isn't a woke thing. This is a basic common decency thing and a desire to stand united behind our players.

You didn't address any of my points.

50 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Texas needs to stop taking all that evil oil money that builds the ivory towers and bloated salaries of the admins and professors.  Maybe just the Petroleum Engineering folks can have the petro cash.  And the rest can live off wind and solar dollars.  

What does that have to do with you getting pissed off that a bunch of black football players won’t sing a song you want them to sing?

"Woke SJWs" is just a way to say "Liberals" without being directly political. Just a way to vent political anger while skirting the rules of the board. This thread is the most political thread on the board currently. It's a proxy political battle starring a bunch of angry white men vs. the "Woke SJWs". What a god-awful thread by everyone involved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Yup.

They don't agree, they just don't want to put up with the histrionics and foot stomping.

You are just projecting.  I actually enjoyed singing it with the players after the game.  I liked the tradition of singing with the players more so than a song.  But that time has passed.  As more information came out about the history of the song, it became easy to see why some people didn't like it and those reasons are legitimate even if you try to pretend it isn't.   This is the same fucking argument for flying a confederate flag rebottled, repackaged, and rebranded but still the same  wine/whine.    

I would rather keep the singing with the players and replace the song, but that is MY preference, and not the preference of the majority of players and decision makers it would seem.