Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

The logic is inescapable. Every football player we want has offers from 30 or 40 other universities.  Most of them aren't going to come here with this controversy going on. If we can't convince the players who are already on campus that singing the eyes with the fans is a nice tradition, then we have zero chance of convincing those who are just being recruited. We are eventually going to jettison the song, at least as a postgame tradition, but probably altogether. Is that going to make a lot of people mad, including big donors? Yep.. The players don't hold the cards, but the recruits are holding 4 aces.
Is it crazy? Yep.  But that's how it has to play out.  Soon to be ex-coach Herman has painted us into a corner from which there is no escape.

So, what are you saying? The quality of football is going to diminish over this? Oh my god no way no way!
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

So, what are you saying? The quality of football is going to diminish over this? Oh my god no way no way!

Whatever would we do if Brennan Eagles, Demarvion Overshown and Caden Sterns hit the portal?  We might never recover.  

Why do these bums have any leverage?  Half the team could leave and it wouldn’t make a shit.  All will be forgotten in 5 years.   

I am ambivalent about the Eyes at this point.  Just don’t see why any of this current batch should have any fucking say given their performance. They’re a fucking expense that hasn’t paid off.  

Let Earl, Ricky and Vince decide. Not these fucking clowns.  

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Poe It Up said:

It’s not about offense. Such an accusation can ruin ones life and/or career, it’s a serious accusation. 

It’s 80+% just a Sword of Damocles to bully (white) people.  American whites are among the least racist (under the old, correct, logically consistent definition of racism: exaggerated in-group preference and contempt for other ethnic groups) people on earth.  If you think otherwise you probably have very limited experience actually dealing with different people groups in scenarios where you can actually hear and experience their true opinions, whether in word or in deed.  

• Hook 'Em 5

Seriously now: this is a complete farce and as a sign of the times demonstrates that most of this thread has no conception of what you’re dealing with or what’s coming. You’re like random Russian working joes in 1915 cheering for the Bolsheviks and all the good work they’re about to do for the common man.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The insinuation that "the recruits" won't come to Texas because of The Eyes is a canard.  Every Southern school has a litany of connections to racists in their past, from their founders, to boosters, alumni, institutions, building names, and more.  If this were driving recruit behavior, then it would be Boston College, Rutgers, and the HBCU's winning national championships and not Alabama and Clemson.  Recruits go where they can win and show off their skills to the NFL on the biggest stage.  Texas will always be one of the biggest stages on the strength of our history and alumni base.  Sure, it will be used against us as negative recruiting, but so is every controversy - real or imagined.  The bigger issue for recruiting will be a lame duck hotseat coach who is clearly on the way out.  Let's not confuse the issues, even in the '80s, Texas teams fielded great talent (poor coaching), better than most of our competition.  We have the preconditions for football greatness, and what we need is administration and coaching to support that.  I think that we have the right admin in CDC.  We have the wrong coach in Herman, which will get fixed either this year or next.

White people can't tell Black people how to feel.

White people should shut up and listen.

White people don't get to participate in the conversation about what is considered racist.

All of these may be true.  Where it breaks is when it comes to action.  White people can listen and listen and listen, empathize, and atone for sins of their grand-forefathers by feeling really, really bad.  But what happens when the person sitting across the table now want actions that are incompatible with your belief system?  What if I were a minority and told @bad_teammate that his posts really offended me, and aside from feeling bad, he needed to show action to truly repent by deleting his account and never posting here again?  Again, he's not my race and I am the oppressed here, so he doesn't get to tell me how to feel, and I am demanding action, otherwise - he's racist!

Maybe he tells me to pound sand?  He's not deleting his account, I'm the unreasonable one.  WTG, racist.

Or maybe he wants to engage me about how I've misinterpreted his post, and here's what he really meant.  Well guess what, I didn't ask for a dialogue.  As a racist white person, your job is to shut up and listen, and then take the actions I demand.

This is where we are with The Eyes.  You're with me or against me.  You're taking the actions I want or you're a racist (or you're the stupid unreasonable player).  We shouldn't be surprised, because the polarization is everywhere now, eventually it was coming front and center at the University.  I'm hoping that we can collectively reclaim the song with recognition of its history but also all the positives it has brought and still brings.

The dialogue on twitter and this thread are really reductionist: "racist," "angry old white guy," "pussy player," "woke."  I would hope that everyone had as great an experience at UT as I did; making connections with people of all races and backgrounds - and that was in the late 90's/early 2000's.  Of course we want everyone to be comfortable.  But you don't have to tear down 100+ years of tradition, the majority of which were not racist and created a net-positive, because of a mistake at the beginning.  Just like we don't judge adults for their mistakes as children - or the mistakes of their parents.

• Hook 'Em 5

6 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

They don’t represent Texas well on the football field but I blame that on the head coach Tom Herman who I have always believed never should have been hired in the first place and is clearly in over his head.

The rest is just political bullshit that has no place in rooting for a team and you should frankly start gettin “woke” to that fact or else just start rooting for some other team. If you hate the players due to their politics then leave.

They don't represent Texas well in any facet.   Not in football (which is what they are here to do), not in leadership, not in brotherhood, teamwork, friendship, etc....  You don't understand how divided this team is and how blatantly obvious it is in their performance.  When the starting qb has to call out his teammates to do the things championship teams do and they just leave him out there to dry what do you think that says?  Herman doesn't have the pulse of this team after 4 years because he has let 18-22 year olds run the asylum.   Do you think most 18-22 year olds know what's best for the world or even for themselves?  Just because people have a problem with the way these kids handle their business doesn't mean that they should just root for someone else.  Doesn't mean they hate them either.  That's such a childish way of looking at this. Takes 3 seconds of thinking to come up with that conclusion.   

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

I think we understand perfectly why you and yours are furious right now.

They represent it far better than you and the angry shitheads in this thread just like you. They are gods of discretion and maturity compared to the posters in this thread.

Lol wtf does you and yours even mean?  I speak for myself and nobody else.  I don't just regurgitate other opinions and claim they are my own like you.  Apparently you have a problem with people who think for themselves and don't just accept the demands of children.  Yea they definitely represented well yesterday.  You are not living in reality.  Go home and have a long serious conversation with yourself.  It's sorely needed.  And the username checks out btw.

Edited by Apex73

5 hours ago, immamac said:

I think this is a great post except the last 2 sentences. Especially the last sentence. That's what is wrong with this thread. That last sentence. Just stop it, it has no reason to even be discussed in this thread.

then why do you let badteammate in here?  xhe's shown in xher 10000 posts that xhe has zero interest in football, or anything else outside the realm of CR

• Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Part of the conversation? Of course. Absolutely. It’s a great idea. A conversation is a fantastic idea. I’m all for it. We (via our representatives affiliated with the alumni etc) should absolutely have an ongoing conversation with the university’s black athletes. A good part of that is listening. White guys have spent 400 years telling black people how it is, and then telling them to STFU. So, listening would be good.

Just a note, though...calling a essential party to that conversation a bunch of dumb motherfuckers who aren’t capable of critical thinking isn’t a conversation. Like, at all.

I mean, we converse on here by calling each other dumb motherfuckers on the daily.

But yeah, the conversation on this ended too quickly and insufficiently definitely.

Strangely, as a conservativish white dude, I think critical studies definitely have their place, certainly in academia, if not daily dialog.  They might, however, be better confined to the graduate level.

8 hours ago, maninblack said:

You are who you are

Okay.

I’m not the one claiming athletes aren’t thinking critically because they don’t believe what you personally believe.  I would argue your line of thinking is more foolish but hey....

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I mean, we converse on here by calling each other dumb motherfuckers on the daily.

But yeah, the conversation on this ended too quickly and insufficiently definitely.

Strangely, as a conservativish white dude, I think critical studies definitely have their place, certainly in academia, if not daily dialog.  They might, however, be better confined to the graduate level.

This. Target the University and the coaches. Not the players. 

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

then why do you let badteammate in here?  xhe's shown in xher 10000 posts that xhe has zero interest in football, or anything else outside the realm of CR

Wait, encouraging a dialogue about what the possibilities are instead of playing the name calling and blame game is against the rules? My bad. I guess I should have read them when I wrote them. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Whats useful about censuring AND censoring things on grounds of some spirit that's long evaporated and relevant to nobody today.

The VW beetle was ideated by Hitler.  Should that car be banished today because that narrow-moustached fuck thought about it before my parents were even born?

This basic logic is simply lost on the CR tards. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Cross posting from the CDC thread. A pretty good read. 

athletic director Chris Del Conte is failing at his job. There is no other way to put it. It is hard to sugarcoat. Impossible to ignore.

Oh, Del Conte is good at telling jokes at fundraisers. He has a great sense of humor. If you want to drink and hear a guy tell jokes, Del Conte can provide entertainment that rivals any comedian on open mic night. Heck, Del Conte’s biggest achievement was creating Bevo Blvd., a lively street with food trucks, music and alcohol. Del Conte was responsible for creating concerts after Longhorn home games, prior to the pandemic, of course. Del Conte definitely knows how throw a damn good party.

When it comes to making hard decisions about his coaching staff (dating back to TCU), leading an athletic department, or preventing The Eyes of Texas tradition from becoming arguably the most divisive issue between fans and players in school history, Del Conte is doing nothing to justify earning $2.5 million annually until 2027.

Del Conte has created this chaos.

He has to do a better job of finding solutions.

Texas was defeated by Oklahoma, 53-45 (four overtimes), on Saturday. Oklahoma coach Lincoln Riley currently has a 4-1 record against Texas’ Tom Herman. Texas could not defeat one of the worst Oklahoma programs in recent memory. We saw Riley bench his starting quarterback, the ultimate surrender decision, and the same guy was reinserted after halftime and led his team to victory.

The Longhorns are 2-2, but it took a miracle comeback against Texas Tech to prevent a 1-3 start. Texas recovered the onside kick and pulled off a victory when it had less than a one-percent chance of winning with around three minutes remaining. Nobody can take the win off Texas’ record. However, it helps to remember how fortunate this team is not to be 0-3 in the Big 12 right now.

After the game, Herman looked defeated. He reminded me of the President who aged dramatically after four years in office. Herman did not have any answers. He talked about how great practice was last Sunday in an effort to show how close his program is to winning football games like this. The coach did not understand his fan base is more concerned about the product they are witnessing each Saturday.

This is the moment when you save a fighter from himself. Herman is not winning the way he or the fan base desires. Recruiting is not going well. Literally, a player quit during the middle of a game this season. Longhorn fans are pissed about his team’s lack of participation in The Eyes of Texas. Herman will not throw in the towel, but I sensed if Del Conte tapped him on the shoulder after Saturday’s game and said they should discuss an exit plan, deep down, Herman might be relieved to get out of this situation. That is just my opinion and nothing I heard from my sources.

Herman was originally under contract until 2021, which meant both sides could have happily parted ways after this season.

Instead, Del Conte gave Herman a two-year extension in 2019, months after the Sugar Bowl victory. Herman is still slated to make $6.25 million in 2021, and Del Conte added $6.5 million in 2022 and $6.75 million in 2023. This is the equivalent of staying married until the children graduate from high school.

By the way, Del Conte also gave running backs coach Stan Drayton and offensive lineman coach Herb Hand raises back in May. Drayton was bumped up from $640,000 to $700,000. Hand’s salary increased from $515,000 to $650,000.

Only $19.5 million for Herman’s contract, plus add in a little extra for his assistants?

Just ask those big money donors to cut a check, right?

You mean the same people who are ticked off about players not participating in The Eyes of Texas?

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hookem.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2017%2F12%2Fsss-tx-mo3007_2.jpg&hash=f5253ae3e7e314fc268eecadc545906a

Photo via HookEm.com

I received multiple messages from sources this weekend saying the athletic department has lost at least $25 million in pledges in the past two weeks. That number may not be 100 percent accurate, but longtime fans are withholding their financial support.

By the way, Del Conte expected several donors to cut checks for the south endzone project in December. The completion of that project is in trouble at this rate.

Del Conte should have resolved this issue before the season.

In July, Texas President Jay Hartzell rolled out a comprehensive set of proposals to create a more diverse and welcoming campus, including plans to allocate Athletics’ revenue to recruit and support Black students, rename the Robert L. Moore Building, and honor Black trailblazers at UT through new campus symbols. Hartzell said the university would keep “The Eyes of Texas” as the university’s song but would work to own the history of the song while reclaiming and redefining what the song stands for.

“The Eyes of Texas, in its current form, will continue to be our alma mater. Aspects of its origin, whether previously widely known or unknown, have created a rift in how the song is understood and celebrated, and that must be fixed,” Hartzell said in a press release. “It is my belief that we can effectively reclaim and redefine what this song stands for by first owning and acknowledging its history in a way that is open and transparent.

“Together, we have the power to define what the Eyes of Texas expect of us, what they demand of us, and what standard they hold us to now. The Eyes of Texas should not only unite us, but hold all of us accountable to our institution’s core values. But we first must own the history. Only then can we reimagine its future, and I look forward to partnering with our campus community to do just that.”

At that point, the controversy should have been over.

The President did his part. Dr. Leonard Moore successfully talked players out of boycotting the season and was no longer involved in any athletic discussions. Longhorn players openly applauded the initiatives. I thought it was a very fair compromise for everyone involved.

Del Conte’s task was simple.

Inform the players they need to resume participating in the tradition. They did not have to sing the song, but he expected them to stay after games.

Simple.

Instead, Del Conte never expressed his expectations with student-athletes, which is why there has been chaos. Many cheerleaders did not participate in The Eyes during Texas’ recent home game against TCU. Several band members have said they will not play the song. The football team – black and white players – have skipped the tradition this season. The volleyball team recently stayed on the court but did not acknowledge the song.

That administrative failure is on Del Conte.

I know some fans are blaming the “woke” generation or “social justice warriors” for what is occurring right now. I get that frustration. Nobody wants to be labeled a racist when those sentiments are not in their heart. Fans view this song as a tradition. They played the song at weddings, parties, and it was a source of school pride. I understand the anger.

Yet, I look at how other athletic departments across the country handled the current climate better than Del Conte.

Oklahoma State running back Chuba Hubbard threatened to boycott all team activities after a tweet surfaced of coach Mike Gundy wearing a One America News Network T-shirt. I was not convinced Gundy could prevent a player revolt.

Yet, they put those issues aside and unified.

Oklahoma football players decided not to practice and marched for social and racial justice. That could have ripped apart the team. Instead, there were several productive conversations between players, administrators and coaches.

In addition, the athletic department decided to place a “Black Lives Matter” and “Sooners for Humanity” patch on team jerseys this season.

Texas?

Del Conte told the football staff this week they had to participate in the tradition after games to show respect to their fans. Unfortunately, Del Conte did not have a conversation with players and express his expectations. He definitely has done nothing to publicly express any solutions to the fan base.

As a result, Sam Ehlinger and Cameron Dicker were the only players I saw participating in The Eyes after the Oklahoma loss, while everyone else was in the locker room.

That was unacceptable.

If Del Conte can receive credit for creating a carnival atmosphere, he has to be accountable for this circus.

Del Conte should tap Herman on the shoulder this week and express the importance of finishing this season 8-2, or at least 7-3, because Longhorn fans are tired of losing.

In addition, Del Conte should sit down with players in every sport and express his expectations. I am not saying Del Conte needs to bang the table in anger. Instead, he has to be the leader Texas needs at this moment.

Del Conte has created this chaos.

He has to do a better job of finding solutions.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

I’ve often wondered why they haven’t tried to cancel VW. 

also it gives us this meme. 

image.jpeg.643e8a2f923edefb6ce4ad1c9aaee410.jpeg

Ford:  obvious corporate promotion

To  yoda:  obvious Star Wars plagiarism

Volkswagen:  apparent alien invasion theme

Amazing how things get interpreted

1 minute ago, cabowabo said:

I always thought the team lined up and sang the Eyes of Texas because they loved the University of Texas, the fans, and the world class education they were receiving free because they were great athletes. I feel like a Bernie Madoff victim.

LOL, yeah.  It's a bit like your ex-wife telling you that thing that you thought she loved she actually hated and rolled her eyes every time you did it.  The problem is this problem isn't going away.  Pretty sure this particular SJW nonsense is a diabolical plot from our conference rivals.

• Hook 'Em 1

Tbh it boils down to lack of accountability and leadership by Herman and as the article above states CDC. The agreement about the song was done. Nothing was relayed to players of any sport. It should have been athletic department wide decision that players should or shouldn’t do. Not up to individual coaches of their respective sport. 

Not having a department wide plan for what players will do regarding the eyes have made it a much bigger issue than it should have been. 

Personally I feel like all players should stand with the fans as tradition is after the game. Singing, not singing, throwing up the hook em, not throwing up the hook em isn’t the issue. Walking off after defeats without respecting the fans and etc who built this program is the much larger issue and that lack of discipline shows.

I think the volleyball team is handling this perfectly. They tried a few different things but finally lined up and chose not to sing while still throwing the hook em up. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

But what happens when the person sitting across the table now want actions that are incompatible with your belief system?  What if I were a minority and told @bad_teammate that his posts really offended me, and aside from feeling bad, he needed to show action to truly repent by deleting his account and never posting here again?  Again, he's not my race and I am the oppressed here, so he doesn't get to tell me how to feel, and I am demanding action, otherwise - he's racist!

That's not analogous to this situation at all.

The black athletes aren't demanding anyone else do anything. They want the choice to not stand for The Eyes. That's it. If the players were saying "no one should be allowed to sing it at all" that would be an entirely different conversation. Their request is imminently reasonable.

Your foray into white victimhood doesn't represent reality at all.

6 hours ago, Apex73 said:

Apparently you have a problem with people who think for themselves and don't just accept the demands of children.

"Do what tradition demands you do!" is not the position of an independent thinker.

1 hour ago, Bevo VIII said:

Do the current athletes and black people on campus speak for all the black people, former athletes, and alumni who came before them?

Nope.

Unfortunately, those other people ran out of eligibility so we have the team we have and it's the team we're going to have for a long time. And if our fan base keeps acting like this, it's going to be a less and less talented team over time because of an extremely toxic environment.

We had a choice to unite behind the players and create a positive environment. But a bunch of furious old white guys aren't letting that happen.

• Hook 'Em 1

I have a question. 

Do the current athletes and black people on campus speak for all the black people, former athletes, and alumni who came before them?

I’d be interested to hear their opinions. 

Which White people are speaking for all White people?

When do we get to hear their opinions?

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

We had a choice to unite behind the players and create a positive environment. But a bunch of furious old white guys aren't letting that happen.

Winning solves a lot of problems. Losing tends to bring out the worst in everyone.  Let's face it, a 1-2 start is going to make all fans furious, all on it's own. 

I have a question. 

I’d be interested to hear their opinions. 

No they don’t.

Several of them have, and it’s fallen on deaf ears. Look no further than the Twitter exchange between Chris Brown and Charles Omenihu.

My one chief complaint about the 18-22 crowd, and the 15-18 behind them, is they are unwilling to have any dialogue about change. They demand change, but only in the way they see fit. There is no happy medium, no give and take...it’s all or nothing.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, immamac said:

the "how can we be more inclusive" or "how can we make sure the past is the past" or the "how can we keep our word" or the "how can we better understand how you feel" conversations are pretty good ones to start with. 

It is OK and prudent to ask these questions but the first time that you disagree on something, well....

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Tbh it boils down to lack of accountability and leadership by Herman and as the article above states CDC. The agreement about the song was done. Nothing was relayed to players of any sport. It should have been athletic department wide decision that players should or shouldn’t do. Not up to individual coaches of their respective sport. 

Not having a department wide plan for what players will do regarding the eyes have made it a much bigger issue than it should have been. 

That’s actually not true. There were meetings, discussions and mandates. The agreement was that players didn’t have to sing it, but they needed to stay.  And guess what happened, two sports had players who threatened to sit out and boycott the season.  Coaches caved, and here we are.

Its not surprising at all that those two sports are the biggest clusterfucks on campus right now, being led by two head coaches who have no business coaching at the University of Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

No they don’t.

Several of them have, and it’s fallen on deaf ears. Look no further than the Twitter exchange between Chris Brown and Charles Omenihu.

My one chief complaint about the 18-22 crowd, and the 15-18 behind them, is they are unwilling to have any dialogue about change. They demand change, but only in the way they see fit. There is no happy medium, no give and take...it’s all or nothing.

except that Omenihu is on more on their side regarding the Eyes than not.

you are conflating his opinion about showboating while getting hammered on the field with an opinion about the song

• Hook 'Em 1

At this point the best solution for this thread would be for @immamac to zip it up and email it over to Billy Liucci and let the thread continue on over at TexAgs. That way the majority of heavily-invested posters in here can be among like-minded people to continue their discussion free of pesky SJWs, woke millennials, and black people's opinions. And we can lose the embarrassing shit stain that this thread has become from our presence. Maybe a few of the god-awful garbage can posters will just stay over there as they'll probably find it a more accepting place for their views and feelings anyway.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

I think the volleyball team is handling this perfectly. They tried a few different things but finally lined up and chose not to sing while still throwing the hook em up. 

Yep.  Many former players never sang anyway, probably because they just didn't want to, didn't care, or were dog tired.  But they stood in solidarity, win or lose with the rest of the team and the fans.  That is the message that has been lost.  So many CFB programs have something similar unifying the players and fans.  It's what makes college sports so special.  That we are taking one of the most unifying aspects of Texas and making it such a divisive topic is absurd.  At least stand with your teammates.

• OSU and their "waving song" to the lyrics of Streets of NY.  I'm sure someone could dig into that enough to pull out something racist.  
  • The Ags sway to sawing Varsitys horns off.  
  • Wisconsin's 5th Quarter
  • tOSU sings Carmen Ohio in the end zone, identical to how we sing The Eyes
  • Notre Dame sings "Our Mother"
  • WVU "Take me home"

I'm sure there are many others I'm missing, but you get the point

19 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

It is OK and prudent to ask these questions but the first time that you disagree on something, well....

Well ... what? Finish your thought.

What have the players done to retaliate against people who disagree with them? Are they jumping people who stay for The Eyes? Are they online screaming about how our fans are racists for singing The Eyes?

Finish your thought.

32 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

No they don’t.

Really had nothing to do w/ the Eyes and everything to do with Omenihu pointing out Brown's clown-like behavior.    Nothing like flexing 15 or 20 yards downfield after giving up a first down.    But at least a tackle was made.    That's something. 

23 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

At this point, forcing the players to stick around after the game to watch fans sing a song they find problematic is only going to make things worse. 

Maybe the team comes together around the students at the end and there could be just a student / fan led "Eyes of Texas"? Kind of like the road baseball games. Anyone can join in or not. Does the band playing it make it too much of a "requirement"? 

2 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

Maybe the team comes together around the students at the end and there could be just a student / fan led "Eyes of Texas"? Kind of like the road baseball games. Anyone can join in or not. Does the band playing it make it too much of a "requirement"? 

If something like this happens, I have a feeling it's going to have to be a different song. 

21 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Nothing like flexing 15 or 20 yards downfield after giving up a first down.    But at least a tackle was made.    That's something. 

No shit.  It's as laughable as when aggy was lauding a TFL in a game of such blowout proportions they made changes to not stop the clock and OU was just running the ball straight up the middle.

2q2p3c.gif

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

These players lose so often that they aren't capable of facing the music. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Well ... what? Finish your thought.

What have the players done to retaliate against people who disagree with them? Are they jumping people who stay for The Eyes? Are they online screaming about how our fans are racists for singing The Eyes?

Finish your thought.

Not talking about the players specifically.  Read in context.  And, you know the answer.

11 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

CDC/Herman's cowardice put us here, and grown men are screaming at the young black athletes about it instead of holding the two powerful white men accountable.

See, here's the thing. Had you left out the two underlined words, your point would have been made without furthering the racial aspect. 

Sam is not the only caucasoid on the team. But he was the only player who stayed. The two guys you blame are white but that is utterly immaterial to your point or this discussion. 

I don't think this is really about the song at all. It's  about a large group of individuals who are BMOC and don't like being told to stay after the final gun and sing a kid's song. They finding it demeaning to their individual manhood. 

For 100 years, the team has stood together, win or lose, and performed this ritual. It was a classic team building exercise. 

What we have is not a team. It's a gaggle is selfish products, (of various flavors) who would like nothing better than to spend as little time on campus as possible and move on to the NFL. That's the dream. 

And that ain't changing anytime soon. 

• Hook 'Em 2