Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

43 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Because those people can simply stop showing up to games.  Without football players it’s hard to play a football game.  I guess all you alums can suit up and see who shows up/pays to watch.  

when they went to school, these songs weren't celebrated.  They can't change their school after gradation, but now they need to quit.  I'm sure they could also retort that the song has remained the same for a century and the players could play football at non-racist SEC schools instead.

On 7/4/2020 at 5:54 PM, bad_teammate said:

And the tremendous support Overshown has received in replies.

Even 1 player saying he's going to tear up his meal ticket is significant, because it's extremely hard for them to make that sacrifice, but if I'm a 5-star who can have any school then the stakes are much lower and a silly little mark like this can make a huge difference in the hat game.

There's just no reason for it. Current and former athletes across sports have said they want it gone. It's time for it to go. All stubborn alums are going to accomplish at this point is division. These alums are not going to help the team win and they aren't relevant for on-campus unity.

The stubborn alums need to go through their grieving process privately, quickly, and quietly so we can get to the other side whole.

July 4th lol

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

24 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I strongly disagree.  I don't know what the OU equivalent is, since all your band does is play the same stupid ass 6 notes over and over again 1000 times per game, but for the vast majority of Texas fans the song is representative of Texas fandom.  Period.   If Texas wins that game in OT and Sam sings the song standing alone while the players celebrate by themselves, backs turned to the student body and actively refusing to participate, I would have had the same empty feeling.  Edit:  Read that Ketch article I linked above.

I don’t claim to know all your traditions.  OU has a shitty ass band and a half rate school.  I get it. They win a lot of football games.  And lose the ones that matter at the end of the year.  I understand all that.   
Here’s the thing...No matter the school or the traditions I think listening to black people who have been disenfranchised for decades is more important right now - I think that, even though I vehemently disagree with their views on the eyes being racist.  

edit: on part you strongly disagree with - I think if UT won an all timer game like Saturday Sam would have had more players out there with him.  We’ll never know.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc

6 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

If sec schools complete with actual racist traditions based on the south and Civil War can make things work with their student athletes I'm sure we can find a way to make a non racist song work with our athletes. Just takes leadership from the Admin. 

Fortunately, a lot of those traditions have fallen by the wayside in the last 30 years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Also: inflammatory statements like "white victimhood" and "furious old white guys" noted.  Interesting how we haven't seen our mods castigate those words, just "woke."

maybe our mod is asleep

2 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

Our mod seems to be OK with it. 

Sure, and why not?

Is it incorrect? Is it offensive?

You know it's correct and it doesn't actually offend any of you. None of you feel or are discriminated against because of it and it doesn't represent any kind of historical oppression or discrimination against you. Feigned victimhood. Snowflake whining.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Here’s the thing...No matter the school or the traditions I think listening to black people who have been disenfranchised for decades is more important right now - I think that, even though I vehemently disagree with their views on the eyes being racist. 

If the blackthletes want to bring up REAL, relevant injustices that materially affect their livelihood, let's start with how the multi-billion dollar NCAA system takes kids from the hoods, chews em up, and spits them out.

I personally dont even know if I agree with that point, but I'll entertain it.  As in fact it's been discussed earnestly year in and year out by the supposed old white beneficiaries of their sweating on the fields and on the courts.  Nobody takes umbrage to that sort of discourse.

But raising a fucking stink about a fucking song whose purported meaning has been lost to the decades of time?  What an absolutely stupid shit hill to plant your flag on.  Insubstantial.  Unproductive.  Serves no fucking purpose except as a pointless distraction.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

If the blackthletes want to bring up REAL, relevant injustices that materially affect their livelihood, let's start with how the multi-billion dollar NCAA system takes kids from the hoods, chews em up, and spits them out.

I personally dont even know if I agree with that point, but I'll entertain it.  As in fact it's been discussed earnestly year in and year out by the supposed old white beneficiaries of their sweating on the fields and on the courts.  Nobody takes umbrage to that sort of discourse.

But raising a fucking stink about a fucking song whose purported meaning has been lost to the decades of time?  What an absolutely stupid shit hill to plant your flag on.  Insubstantial.  Unproductive.  Serves no fucking purpose except as a pointless distraction.

They aren't the ones raising a stink. They just aren't singing the Eyes anymore. The people who don't like that are the ones raising a stink.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

you don't give 2 shits about any "relevant injustices" that affect Black people or athletes, so stop pretending and make your arguments without the pretense. nobody is coming to knock on your door at night about any of this.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Walking off when the song is playing isn't raising a stink. The only people raising a stink are the ones still upset that the players won't stay and sing the song they love. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Walking off when the song is playing isn't raising a stink. The only people raising a stink are the ones still upset that the players won't stay and sing the song they love. 

I don't give a shit whether they sing it or not, but Sam was out there walking with his team members in the offseason to show them support.  And when Sam finishes his last OU game,  gave it all he had and came up short, you stick your ass on that field and show him the same kind of support. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

It’s alarming that players are so willing to just sit out and not play over a song. I’m sorry but how much do you love the game if you’re just so willing to be like fuck it I’m not playing. If you can’t see that then you’re willfully being ignorant. This team is loaded with a bunch of babified participation award betas and I’m over it

Just now, Enchubben said:

I don't give a shit whether they sing it or not, but Sam was out there walking with his team members in the offseason to show them support.  And when Sam finishes his last OU game,  gave it all he had and came up short, you stick your ass on that field and show him the same kind of support. 

There was a video on Twitter of him walking off the Cotton Bowl field with other players while the OU fans were talking shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

They aren't the ones raising a stink. They just aren't singing the Eyes anymore. The people who don't like that are the ones raising a stink.

What a fucking idiotic and disingenuous response.  Which is par for the course for your dumb ass.  It made their list.  It was THE MOST controversial item on their list day 1.  It garnered the most attention day 1.  So yes, they made it the issue.   

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

What a fucking idiotic and disingenuous response.  Which is par for the course for your dumb ass.  It made their list.  It was THE MOST controversial item on their list day 1.  It garnered the most attention day 1.  So yes, they made it the issue.   

Which the administration resolved by saying there's not going to be a change to the song, it will still be sung but they don't have to stay for it if they wish to. A whole lot of people on this thread seemed like that was a fair compromise...until we started losing.

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, naija said:

you don't give 2 shits about any "relevant injustices" that affect Black people or athletes, so stop pretending and make your arguments without the pretense. nobody is coming to knock on your door at night about any of this.

when did i PRETEND i gave a personal shit if jake smith or joshua moore goes broke tomorrow?  (i fucking dont)

if you did, you should put your support behind something with a little more meat than a spirit song. 

what im saying is, dont fucking cry wolf about fake injustices if you ever want to galvanize some sympathy. 

And the issue was resolved. Until fans started raising a stink.

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

Serious answer: Not as far as anyone here knows.
Serious comment: Stop actively seeking things to be offended by.

I do know the answer, you're fighting larger cultura/political battles in the football forum. Stop doing that.

Disagree wholeheartedly. Their own position and background inform their decisions. They didn't care how hard this would come down on the players because they don't identify with or empathize with the players. They knew the fanbase would turn into the Tasmanian Devil of dogwhistle racism but valued their own comfort and security over that. I don't think black administrators would've operated the same way because they would've understood the position the players were in.

They had a chance to take the hit for the kids and they didn't, in part because they don't share the lived realities of those kids.

This is mischaracterizing the reality. We have former athletes telling us they didn't like it but did it because they were expected to and had no choice. That vision in your head is an illusion. Some of those athletes you were singing The Eyes with/to/at felt offended by it while you were telling yourself you were mind-melding and spirit-bonding with them. I know you want to tell yourself a comforting fairytale, but it's not reality.

It's like finding out a girl you were making out with was actually disgusted the whole time but felt pressured or obligated. You can either call her a whore, tell her she's lying, or take the L and move forward.

Does it actually offend you or are you trying to create controversy where none currently exists for personal attention?

Wait, people do that?!? Clutch the pearls!

1 minute ago, tjhooker said:

You don't know what is in his heart. You just want to throw him in a bucket so you can label and understand him for a narrative that works in your head. People can disagree with you and not be racist because that's what you're saying there.  Typical CR bullshit. 

spare me your bullshit. he has posted in other places on this forum what he clearly thinks regarding those issues. find another sucker that wants to hear that malarkey about caring to discuss the injustices Black people face.

I made a post on another thread about why the players are wrong in this situation. and have managed to do so without maligning them on racial grounds. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

Which the administration resolved by saying there's not going to be a change to the song, it will still be sung but they don't have to stay for it if they wish to. 

The administration completely shit the bed on this.   You don't "solve" an issue by effectively banning the band from the stadium and playing The Eyes at the final gun hoping and praying it all magically works it self out.  You know what the outcome of that is?  Your Star QB and best player standing alone while his team walks out on him.  It was a horrible 'solution' that is currently costing them a shit load of money.  It's defcon 1 in Belmont right now

Rod Babers gave the idiots in the Administration the perfect solution over the summer and it gained no traction.    THAT should have been the end of it.   There is pretty much zero doubt that is Ricky, Early, VY and other former players actively supported Rod's idea that it would have been accepted (considering the players literally got just about everything else on their list).  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

The administration completely shit the bed on this.   You don't "solve" an issue by effectively banning the band from the stadium and playing The Eyes at the final gun hoping and praying it all magically works it self out.  You know what the outcome of that is?  Your Star QB and best player standing alone while his team walks out on him.  It was a horrible 'solution' that is currently costing them a shit load of money.  It's defcon 1 in Belmont right now

I feel like the band is being left out of the discussion here. Who is leading THAT rag tag outfit that is getting away with not even coming to the games?  Is the band saying "nah we aren't coming" or did CDC say stay away due to "Covid" aka we don't want a mutiny on TV. 

6 minutes ago, naija said:

spare me your bullshit. he has posted in other places on this forum what he clearly thinks regarding those issues. find another sucker that wants to hear that malarkey about caring to discuss the injustices Black people face.

I made a post on another thread about why the players are wrong in this situation. and have managed to do so without maligning them on racial grounds. 

i dont care what grounds you stand on and i dont particularly care what color it is. 

i do care that whatever you argue should be a tiny bit cogent.

you misrepresented my position, you threw out the race card... you just need 1 more gaffe to complete the trifecta.

17 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Does Sam actually feel unsupported  by his teammates or is this an emotional story you're telling yourself to justify being mad at the ungrateful kids from the hood?

6 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Your Star QB and best player standing alone while his team walks out on him.

Same question as above.

Was Sam actually walked out on or did his teammates go to the locker room before him and he didn't actually care?

7 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

I feel like the band is being left out of the discussion here. Who is leading THAT rag tag outfit that is getting away with not even coming to the games?  Is the band saying "nah we aren't coming" or did CDC say stay away due to "Covid" aka we don't want a mutiny on TV. 

The drum major (edit.. not band director) went to the fucking Dallas Morning News and said she wouldn't lead the band in the eyes.   That's when Belmont may have realized they didn't solve this at all and effectively banned the Band from the stadium under the guise of Covid.   You have half the cheerleading squad refusing to raise their horns when The Eyes is played.  It's a shit show.  I love CDC but it's almost unconscionable how much he bungled this.   

Edited by Skipper
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Does Sam actually feel unsupported  by his teammates or is this an emotional story you're telling yourself to justify being mad at the ungrateful kids from the hood?

Same question as above.

Was Sam actually walked out on or did his teammates go to the locker room before him and he didn't actually care?

Whether Sam feels unsupported or whether he cared is a question only Sam can answer.  As for whether his teammates walked out on him the answer is a resounding Yes.  I was there and watched it happen.  They let the only player that kept them in the game walk up that tunnel to chants of "Sam Sucks Dick"  from POS OU fans alone.  Hey, maybe he didn't care, but it was the worse optics I've ever witnessed at a Texas sporting event.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

The band director went to the fucking Dallas Morning News and said she wouldn't lead the band in the eyes.   That's when Belmont may have realized they didn't solve this at all and effectively banned the Band from the stadium under the guise of Covid.   You have half the cheerleading squad refusing to raise their horns when The Eyes is played.  It's a shit show.  I love CDC but it's almost unconscionable how much he bungled this.   

Complete lack of leadership and communication breakdown. President and his staff come out with the EoT stays and is our Alma Mater. At the point the band should have been instructed to play it and if any members had a problem with they are free to go.  CDC and Coach Herman should have then had a discussion with all players that everyone acknowledges the origins of the song but that it also brings the University together when played for nearly 100 years. Win or lose we will stand with the band and students to show unity, but you don't have to sing if you don't want to. End of story.  There will never be a shortage of people who want to be in the Showband of the Southwest or play football for Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Skipper said:

This. I was bewildered and amused by the posts after UTEP applauding the "Benny Hill" solution to the problem. It was desperate and embarrassing and reflects horribly on our maudlin fucking clown of an AD.

4 minutes ago, Skipper said:

The band director went to the fucking Dallas Morning News and said she wouldn't lead the band in the eyes.   That's when Belmont may have realized they didn't solve this at all and effectively banned the Band from the stadium under the guise of Covid.   You have half the cheerleading squad refusing to raise their horns when The Eyes is played.  It's a shit show.  I love CDC but it's almost unconscionable how much he bungled this.   

A complete failure up and down, agreed.

And if it took THAT for them to realize that they hadn't solved it then they should all be fired. I saw exactly what was going to happen and I'm an idiot paid nothing to do that job.

1 minute ago, UTEX_ME said:

Complete lack of leadership and communication breakdown. President and his staff come out with the EoT stays and is our Alma Mater. At the point the band should have been instructed to play it and if any members had a problem with they are free to go.  CDC and Coach Herman should have then had a discussion with all players that everyone acknowledges the origins of the song but that it also brings the University together when played for nearly 100 years. Win or lose we will stand with the band and students to show unity, but you don't have to sing if you don't want to. End of story.  There will never be a shortage of people who want to be in the Showband of the Southwest or play football for Texas. 

This times 100

I don't know if this is allowed, but honestly I don't have a strong opinion on this.  I have great memories hearing "The Eyes" and it personally means a lot to me.  I am also not black, so I do not feel it is appropriate to try and pretend like I understand what these players may be feeling.  I generally approve of people "finding their voices" and it seems silly to make any adult stand for a song, even if that song has personal meaning to me.

All of that being said, the best thing these players could have done for their cause is win.  If they had gone our there and blasted OU, then I feel very confident that the amount of people analyzing who stayed for "The Eyes" would have been negligible.  I am NOT saying that the team's won/loss record should have any bearing on their cause, but I am saying that human nature makes it so.  Right or wrong, a conference championship type season would have most likely put the issue to bed for the vast majority of the fanbase, but now the players have allowed the discussion to re-ignite and that is on them.  Yes, while they are MORE than just football players, they are at least supposed to be football players.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

blackthletes

Do you think when the board owner comes in and says that the racist bullshit that's embarrassing to the entire University and everything associated with it needs to stop, this might just be the type of stuff he's talking about or nah?

Whether Sam feels unsupported or whether he cared is a question only Sam can answer.  As for whether his teammates walked out on him the answer is a resounding Yes.  I was there and watched it happen.  They let the only player that kept them in the game walk up that tunnel to chants of "Sam Sucks Dick"  from POS OU fans alone.  Hey, maybe he didn't care, but it was the worse optics I've ever witnessed at a Texas sporting event.  

"Walked out on" is a subjective interpretation of events 100% dependent on Sam's perspective. If he didn't care then he wasn't "walked out on".

That's your interpretation from your personal perspective. You saw a series of events and you created a narrative around it, which is normal for humans to do, but the reality in your head isn't necessarily the ACTUAL reality of a situation.

Perhaps Sam felt dejected and abandoned by his teammates.
Perhaps Sam said, "See y'all in a minute, I'm going to go do The Eyes and I'll be in there."
Perhaps Sam felt angry and bitter towards his teammates.
Perhaps Sam was overwhelmed and exhausted and didn't care either way.

Neither you nor I know which one it was.

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

All of that being said, the best thing these players could have done for their cause is win.  If they had gone our there and blasted OU, then I feel very confident that the amount of people analyzing who stayed for "The Eyes" would have been negligible. 

I've thought about this.  And Chi-Town referenced it above as well.  I really wonder what would have happened had we won that game.   Because, in my humble opinion, outside of the obvious (like after we won the national championship) The Eyes at the Cotton Bowl post-OU game is the most important and significant rendition of The Eyes for UT fandom that there is.   

When we win, it's pure joy, that hey, We're Fucking Texas, we beat those fuckers, let's sing OUR song, put on that Fucking Hat and celebrate.   

When we lose, it's hey, this sucks, it's the hardest loss we'll feel all year, but We're Still Fucking Texas and we're going to sing our song because we're still fucking better than you.  As humans.  If not in football this year.

IF we would have won, the team would have been presented the Golden Hat.  So they would have stayed on the field.   If they would have in fact actually NOT rushed the student body and somehow actively boycotted the song on the field, it would ABSOLUTELY be a big topic of discussion today.  But I'm guessing that wouldn't have happened. Many may not have sung, but it would have resembled a normal celebration as much as a COVID-OU game could.   Unfortunately we'll never know.

• Hook 'Em 3

46 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I mean, the players literally included it on their list of demands. That would be the definition of "raising a stink"

Edited by StruggleBus

17 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

I mean, the players literally included it on their list of demands. That would be the definition of "raising a stink"

And the administration literally told them no and worked on a compromise. The players didn't "raise a stink" after that. Angry fans did. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, mdmost said:

And the administration literally told them no and worked on a compromise. The players didn't "raise a stink" after that. Angry fans did. 

The players didn’t raise a stink when most stayed after the Tech game to sing it. The players raised a stink after two straight losses. 

it’s not about the song anymore. 

36 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Are you watching a different video of the Sam Sucks Dick video? There’s several Longhorns walking in with him. I believe #49 Graham had a hookem raised while the OU fans were chanting. In a literal sense there was nobody walking right next to Sam, but he definitely didn’t walk into that tunnel alone. 

33 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Do you think when the board owner comes in and says that the racist bullshit that's embarrassing to the entire University and everything associated with it needs to stop, this might just be the type of stuff he's talking about or nah?

when discussing the topic of black movement, involving black athletes, whose focus is "black athletes and the black community", asking for more black athletic history exhibits, demanding donations to black organizations and the Black Lives Matter movement, naming a stadium after a black football.....

...my using the conjuation of "blackthlete" is racist because....it has the word black? 

or because you wish it was, so bad?

My position:  If I’m willing to sit there all game long watching this abortion of a football team derp their way through a game and I still stay standing to show my support....your ass can swallow your fucking pride and stand there to sing it with me.  

THATS THE POINT OF THE SONG....NOT SOME FAUX RACIST BULLSHIT!

• Hook 'Em 2