Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

And a thousand or ten thousand fans who are.

Wanna solve an issue, talk to the men who are involved. Don’t wanna solve it? Call them names and continue to do what white people have done to black people in America for 400 years: call them stupid and demand they do what we want. That’s worked out great for everyone.

Oh...shut up. 

Just now, maninblack said:

In the Surly spirit...fuck every dumb stupid motherfucking idiot that refuses to sing the EoT because some 20 year old that was told by their African American Studies professor that the EoT is racist because it was sung at minstrel show in the early 1900s.

Why is it unreasonable for a black person to not want to sing a song whose roots on campus were minstrelsy? Why is that strange?

Just now, bad_teammate said:

Why is it unreasonable for a black person to not want to sing a song whose roots on campus were minstrelsy? Why is that strange?

You're not logically consistent. The problem for that person (you) isn't the song. It's the University. You should be advocating for the University to be abolished.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Well, the players have decided the issue, so that’s done. You COULD try to address it rationally, or you could do as the sole player you admire so much advised: take the loss, pussy.

Your call.

what about the players that come after these ones leave?

Why are you taking this so fucking seriously? Let it fucking go. The university has their stance. The end. You aren't a fucking faculty member, you have no fucking power. You have even less power than anyone on the football team.

Back on topic or I'm locking this racist garbage fucking trash thread up. Go fuck yourself and be racist somewhere else I'd rather this fucking site die before I let a bunch of racist cunts bully me into "letting them be heard" this isn't the fucking site for it.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, maninblack said:

You're not logically consistent. The problem for that person (you) isn't the song. It's the University. You should be advocating for the University to be abolished.

I'm not a black person so this attempt to distract doesn't work.

You said: "fuck every dumb stupid motherfucking idiot that refuses to sing the EoT because some 20 year old that was told by their African American Studies professor that the EoT is racist because it was sung at minstrel show in the early 1900s."

That includes every single one of our black players.

So I'll ask again, knowing you won't answer because you can't allow yourself to:

what about the players that come after these ones leave?

I imagine that young black men will be SUPER eager to come to a university where the fan base calls them a bunch of woke idiots, completely disregards their beliefs, and yells at them to shut up and dance for us. Don’t you?
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, immamac said:

You know why I'm fucking mad? Because this god damned website has turned into a racist pile of shit, you stupid mother fuckers are doing your damnedest to run everyone off who made this place funny and enjoyable. Now it's just fucking embarrassing. You fucking embarrass me.

To be fair I firmly believe the song is irrelevant and the players are looking for an excuse to bail. They stay after wins leave after 2 losses. 

sucks people are getting run off by other people but moderation has always been shit. Perhaps delete the politics section and get rid of political post in general. Those sections bring our the worst. It’s also ruined the rep system. If you get rid of the political posters it creates a much better environment 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

I imagine that young black men will be SUPER eager to come to a university where the fan base calls them a bunch of woke idiots, completely disregards their beliefs, and yells at them to shut up and dance for us. Don’t you?

"We don't need them. I AM WHAT MATTERS!" - fat, never-was, suburban alcoholic with a malfunctioning penis

5 minutes ago, maninblack said:

No, you should be advocating for the university to change.

Which is what is happening and it's what you and others like you don't like.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Bevo VIII said:

To be fair I firmly believe the song is irrelevant and the players are looking for an excuse to bail. They stay after wins leave after 2 losses. 

sucks people are getting run off by other people but moderation has always been shit. Perhaps delete the politics section and get rid of political post in general. Those sections bring our the worst. It’s also ruined the rep system. If you get rid of the political posters it creates a much better environment 

You wanna be a mod? 

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

who tells them to shut up and dance, oh king of hyperbole.   we already make them run behind racists flags and stand for the the racist national anthem.  why would they for everlovin shit stand for that?

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, the players have decided the issue, so that’s done. You COULD try to address it rationally, or you could do as the sole player you admire so much advised: take the loss, pussy.

Your call.

You know what the players DON’T represent? All the other current students, professionals and alumni. You know, those people that have an equal say in what direction our University should go beyond the football field. That may challenge your subjective view as a White Knight for Social Justice, but you’re just going to have to live with that. 

Sam sucks. You must have me confused with someone else. 

Just now, Spankytoes said:

You know what the players DON’T represent? All the other current students, professionals and alumni. You know, those people that have an equal say in what direction our University should go beyond the football field.

Seems like you agree that they should actually have a fairly large say about what happens on the football field, right? Good to have you on the team.

People making this about players having feelings about their race and that being related to the song and being told those feelings are not valid or even worse are "pussification". 

People are allowed to have feelings and that's not what makes them a pussy. Sucking at football and being selfish cunts is not what I'm telling people to stop saying, what I'm saying is stop relating the 2 very unrelated things. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

People making this about players having feelings about their race and that being related to the song and being told those feelings are not valid or even worse are "pussification". 

People are allowed to have feelings and that's not what makes them a pussy. Sucking at football and being selfish cunts is not what I'm telling people to stop saying, what I'm saying is stop relating the 2 very unrelated things. 

Not to mention they've been shitting the bed on the field in the same way the last few years before this even happened. It's almost like the Eyes is completely irrelevant to the football part of this discussion.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, tjhooker said:

I have to ask. What exactly and be specific because that's a horrible claim that was said so what was racist?  Don't be broad please.  I don't even recall reading that but I may have missed it.  

You could look at the post where someone called every single black player a "dumb stupid motherfucking idiot" and attributing their non-participation to "their African American Studies professor". A black professor, by the way, who does not actually oppose the singing of The Eyes.

It's pretty clear what's happening, and I think potential recruits and black Longhorns get the message even if the speaker is smart enough to keep the quiet part quiet.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

People are not advocating for required singing . That is unreasonable to me. 

The last part of your statement about minstrel roots is the problem. It’s about the context, which has nothing to do with the song. That is why you are incorrect. The song , the words , and the ritual of fans and athletes are not celebrating anything inappropriate.

Anyone, like you , can link anything to something bad or distasteful if you force it, but it doesn’t mean it is. 

I bet people at minstrel shows might have mentioned the word “Texas” or “Austin” or “ Food” in their shows.

It doesn’t make those words bad and we don’t need to expunge them from our vocabulary. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

To be clear, I do in fact think it is selfish as fuck for the football team to snub the fanbase after a win or a loss. If the team thinks that is appropriate they aren't worthy of support, I think that's what the problem is here. There is no way to unify the "longhorn spirit" win or lose anymore. It's become...something else. 

Do I give a shit whether or not it's singing the eyes? I would totally prefer that it stayed the same as it was, but we all know it can't now so we need to iterate and evolve that tradition into something that still means something for everyone.

I'm not for forcing anyone to do anything. I am absolutely for educating people on the actual history of the song rather than some professors perceived slight. 

Here's the biggest problem for Herman (fired): The QB that everyone loves was left by himself to sing the school song. That should bother everyone. This isn't a team at all. This is a collection of individuals that are weak minded. The EoT is convenient rallying point for their own weakness but it's really a canard. Some professor told them it's racist and they're not capable to think for themselves so they lump it into a social movement and here we are.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I'm not a black person so this attempt to distract doesn't work.

You said: "fuck every dumb stupid motherfucking idiot that refuses to sing the EoT because some 20 year old that was told by their African American Studies professor that the EoT is racist because it was sung at minstrel show in the early 1900s."

That includes every single one of our black players.

So I'll ask again, knowing you won't answer because you can't allow yourself to:

Don't come to Texas if that's the way you feel

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm not for forcing anyone to do anything. I am absolutely for educating people on the actual history of the song rather than some professors perceived slight. 

Here's the biggest problem for Herman (fired): The QB that everyone loves was left by himself to sing the school song. That should bother everyone. This isn't a team at all. This is a collection of individuals that are weak minded. The EoT is convenient rallying point for their own weakness but it's really a canard. Some professor told them it's racist and they're not capable to think for themselves so they lump it into a social movement and here we are.

I think this is a great post except the last 2 sentences. Especially the last sentence. That's what is wrong with this thread. That last sentence. Just stop it, it has no reason to even be discussed in this thread.

You know what the players DON’T represent? All the other current students, professionals and alumni. You know, those people that have an equal say in what direction our University should go beyond the football field. That may challenge your subjective view as a White Knight for Social Justice, but you’re just going to have to live with that. 
Sam sucks. You must have me confused with someone else. 

Cool. Then the students, alumni, etc can suit up and play instead.

I’m not white knighting them. It’s been hashed and rehashed - I agree that the song and its history aren’t racist. But just telling young black men “you’re wrong - shut up and play” isn’t going to change their take. I’m just being pragmatic and realistic.

But go ahead. I’m sure that black men are going to be easily persuaded by a bunch of well-off white football fans calling them names. That approach is destined to be super-effective.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Cool. Then the students, alumni, etc can suit up and play instead.

I’m not white knighting them. It’s been hashed and rehashed - I agree that the song and its history aren’t racist. But just telling young black men “you’re wrong - shut up and play” isn’t going to change their take. I’m just being pragmatic and realistic.

But go ahead. I’m sure that black men are going to be easily persuaded by a bunch of well-off white football fans calling them names. That approach is destined to be super-effective.

Please quote the post where I said that the players are wrong and to shut up and play. Further, please quote any names I’ve called them, racist or otherwise.

Making up arguments is a waste of both of our time. I could not care less if the players sing the song. I think they should make an appearance to support the fans that support them, but these are grown ass men. They have every right to decline if they feel that they are only doing it for the wrong reasons.

All I’m hearing is that if you disagree with Brisket, and you’re white, you must be a racist.

Sure. You got me.

Edited by Spankytoes
  • Hook 'Em 2

I think this is a great post except the last 2 sentences. Especially the last sentence. That's what is wrong with this thread. That last sentence. Just stop it, it has no reason to even be discussed in this thread.

Fair enough but I don't see how to unwind the current players focus on something off the field and their performance on it. And I'm not the only one.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

See, I don't believe that since this team that is super sick and is a complete disaster full of malcontents means "well, that's it some of the players hate it so it's done".  Especially when a vast majority of the fanbase/alumni strongly disagree with that. 

dude...the LHB, Volleyball, Soccer, Swimming, Diving, Football, Basketball, Baseball teams are all in on this. This is all Texas Student Athletes and many active students. This isn't "a few players on the football team".
You aren't entitled to shit as a fan, you can be a fan of something else. You can also just sing eyes of texas at the top of your fucking lungs if you want. No one cares, espeically no one at the university.

• Hook 'Em 2

Fair enough but I don't see how to unwind the current players focus on something off the field and their performance on it. And I'm not the only one.

How about you just try this: Don't.

Players have always had off the field distractions. Swimming in pussy ain't easy ask bru mccoy.

8 minutes ago, El Squared said:

People are not advocating for required singing . That is unreasonable to me. 

So it's reasonable to not want to participate in the singing of the song by singing it. But it's unreasonable to not want to stand there with the horns up while other people sing it? This makes zero sense.

If the origins of the song are such that it is reasonable to think of them as insulting or demeaning, why is being there while it is sung different from singing along?

The last part of your statement about minstrel roots is the problem. It’s about the context, which has nothing to do with the song. That is why you are incorrect. The song , the words , and the ritual of fans and athletes are not celebrating anything inappropriate.

It's not your place to tell them that the origins of the song are immaterial to them. That's not your call. If you want to believe the song's minstrel origins are immaterial that's your right. If they want to believe they ARE material, that's their right. Neither of you are wrong because it's an inherently subjective issue.

To bring up what another poster said (one who shares your opinion), there are MANY Jews who still refuse to buy German cars. We can argue that cars aren't anti-Semitic and that it's silly to hold it against the modern Mercedes and Volkswagen corporations, but it's not our place to do that so we don't.

Our athletes have told us their position. We can either stand with them in unity and move forward or we can rage and create problems. Which one do you want to do?

44 minutes ago, maninblack said:

There's also a professor or two that are a massive problem

Wait, I thought you were the guy who was all for free speech and thought at the University? I guess not when it goes against your thoughts or might harm what you hold dear.

You guys are embarrassing because you are continuing to try to fight a battle that the University said was done. The players do not have to stay and sing the Eyes. The Eyes isn't going away. That was the compromise. You want to fight this battle because you are angry we can't beat OU and TCU. You think this really is the difference? Bama and Clemson both had massive social justice rallies and protests by their players. Yet they seem to do fine winning. aggy had a major issue with the Sul Ross statue. Yet they just beat Florida. If we were winning, this thread would be in the depths of this football forum. Instead, this stupid thread gets bumped any time one of you who are outraged that players don't want to sing it want to feed the outrage machine again. Any time we lose, you think this is the reason. All of the fucking reasons why this team is bad, you think this is one of the ones to argue.

They aren't going to love the song the way all of you/us do/did because they are young men who didn't grow up idolizing a song and University. Sam did, that's why the song is meaningful to him. He thinks about his dad and the time they spent together. It has similar meaning to you. You remember all the good times and the times of heartache associated with this song. It does not have the same meaning to 20 something players who had multiple options for where they could've gone to school. I don't believe the song is racist but the players do and no amount of "get your asses out there and sing it" is going to change that. If BMDs want to force the issue then it will be fun trying to combat the negative recruiting on that one. There is a rot in this program. It's in the players, the program, the administration, our donors, and fan base. And it won't change until we start winning again. The Eyes are the least of our concerns. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

That quite possibly be the worst fucking analogy in the history of mankind, and one of the most stupid posts in the history of Surly, if not the entire Internet. It takes a special level of the retarded to come up with something like that, so there’s that.

See, I'm working from the assumption that y'all are actually intelligent people who are just struggling with a difficult adjustment to your worldview. In my mind, the evidence speaks for itself, but habit and decades of affection naturally get in the way. So, it is a good analogy, from that perspective.

Now, there's also the possibility that y'all are just being complete whiny cunts. In which case, you're right; it's a terrible and stupid analogy.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, bad_teammate said:

So it's reasonable to not want to participate in the singing of the song by singing it. But it's unreasonable to not want to stand there with the horns up while other people sing it? This makes zero sense.

If the origins of the song are such that it is reasonable to think of them as insulting or demeaning, why is being there while it is sung different from singing along?

It's not your place to tell them that the origins of the song are immaterial to them. That's not your call. If you want to believe the song's minstrel origins are immaterial that's your right. If they want to believe they ARE material, that's their right. Neither of you are wrong because it's an inherently subjective issue.

To bring up what another poster said (one who shares your opinion), there are MANY Jews who still refuse to buy German cars. We can argue that cars aren't anti-Semitic and that it's silly to hold it against the modern Mercedes and Volkswagen corporations, but it's not our place to do that so we don't.

Our athletes have told us their position. We can either stand with them in unity and move forward or we can rage and create problems. Which one do you want to do?

You bring up a weird point here: Standing there with the horns up while other people sing it. Why can't it just be horns up for 10-15s then whoever wants to go in and not sing EoT goes and those who want to stay sing EoT?

poof. magic.

You bring up a weird point here: Standing there with the horns up while other people sing it. Why can't it just be horns up for 10-15s then whoever wants to go in and not sing EoT goes and those who want to stay sing EoT?

poof. magic.

Well our donors apparently want the AD to force the players to stand at attention. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Volleyball team protested the Eyes.  They are still #1 in the country. 

It’s not the protest.  It’s the team.  The problem is several people keep thinking the protest is correlated to the lack of success of the football team when they fail to realize the team just sucks ass and that’s Tom Herman’s fault. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Just now, mdmost said:

Well our donors apparently want the AD to force the players to stand at attention. 

I agree with the donors, just not for the EoT part. There should be a mandatory acknowledgement of the fans and supporters of the program regardless of outcome. 

• Hook 'Em 2