Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

7 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

It's the truth.

No one is mad that Sam stayed out to sing it. There is only one group of people hurt and furious about this completely irrelevant thing.

Why would you want them standing there knowing they don't want to be there?

It's because they aren't actually woke SJWs. 

I know you guys can't accept that because it would make you face the real reason you're so furious, but it's the truth. 

no they actually are but only selectively, when they feel like it, which is fine.  just call it what it is.

and you didn't answer the question as to why he tells them to be there for the racist national anthem and carry the racist flags.  Tom Herman is apparently racist...

Edited by dcar00

2 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

What is that real reason?

Pre-existing hostility to the current anti-racist movement.

The Venn Diagram of (hostile to BLM) and (angry at players for going to the locker room during The Eyes) is a single perfect circle.

Edited by bad_teammate
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Most posters would agree that it is not about a song. Sure there are cunts on both sides of this issue. To wit, one side saying that fans being upset over a song are assholes/players being upset over a song are assholes. It is about abandoning a 100 year tradition and replacing it with nothing. Almost every P5 college has traditions. And almost all of them do something win or lose after a game. We replaced it with nothing. A song that has nothing to do with racism and replaced it with losing and running off the field and not acknowledging the fans. I get the players wanted to use the song as a bargaining chip in their list of demands for a movement of grave importance. I would bet my life on the fact that the vast majority of us fans support equality and SJ and the right of human beings to be treated as such. But our HC is a loser fraud. When the OU site even takes pity on Sam and says as much that he was the only player out there. Our HC has failed. And we have failed as a team. And give me a fucking break. I can think of fans of no school who wouldn't be pissed off. Sorry. Name one P5 school that doesn't have traditions and then abandons them and replaces them with nothing.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Most posters would agree that it is not about a song. Sure there are cunts on both sides of this issue. To wit, one side saying that fans being upset over a song are assholes/players being upset over a song are assholes. It is about abandoning a 100 year tradition and replacing it with nothing. Almost every P5 college has traditions. And almost all of them do something win or lose after a game. We replaced it with nothing. A song that has nothing to do with racism and replaced it with losing and running off the field and not acknowledging the fans. I get the players wanted to use the song as a bargaining chip in their list of demands for a movement of grave importance. I would bet my life on the fact that the vast majority of us fans support equality and SJ and the right of human beings to be treated as such. But our HC is a loser fraud. When the OU site even takes pity on Sam and says as much that he was the only player out there. Our HC has failed. And we have failed as a team. And give me a fucking break. I can think of fans of no school who wouldn't be pissed off. Sorry. Name one P5 school that doesn't have traditions and then abandons them and replaces them with nothing.

Western Michigan A NEW PLACE with NEW TRADITIONS!!

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

nobody gives a fuck if this shitty team full of shitty players and shitty coaches sings the eyes.  go play school and get a degree.  we're Cal without the actual academic rep.  no one cares and we for sure don't care about being good in football, basketball or baseball.

This. You aren’t showing that you want to be here on the field, so why should I listen to what you have to say off it? There are a handful of players that I’ll even remember 5 years from now in a positive light. If a song is your breaking point, perhaps you aren’t the badass you think you are. Beating KU on a last second FG at home trumps your subjective feelings. If you don’t want to participate in singing after the game, that’s your right. It’s my right to continue the tradition, with or without you. 

Edited by Spankytoes

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

I agree, this is a problem.

Let me ask you this: Why didn't we replace The Eyes with something else?

I still submit Don't Stop Believin' but don't make them sing it.  Can our band play it? Should we use the live version or studio?

1 minute ago, Spankytoes said:

This. You aren’t showing that you want to be here on the field, so why should I listen to what you have to say off it? There are a handful of players I’ll even remember 5 years from now in a positive light. If a song is your breaking point, perhaps you aren’t the badass you think you are. Beating KU on a last second FG at home trumps your subjective feelings. If you don’t want to participate in singing after the game, that’s your right. It’s my right to continue the tradition.

RACIST!!

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

Pre-existing hostility to the current anti-racist movement.

Lulz. Pre-existing?  Ehlinger is the team leader who led the black players in their social justice causes this summer.  And then carried the team on its shoulders yesterday by himself.   By himself.   A gut wrenching day for all involved.  But his panty waste, misguided teammates couldn't find it within themselves to simply stand on the field with their captain for the school song.   Doesn't matter if their vaginal selves didn't want to sing.  So be it.   Just stand with the guy who laid it all on the line to give the team a chance to win.

That post-game scene was a fucking unbridled embarrassment of epic proportions.   As bad as it gets.  And if you don't see it as such then you're a fucking embarrassment yourself. 

You think the Eyes is racist?   Whatever.  Stand with your team captain and leader at the end.  He only carried the entire team on his back Saturday.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Ah so they shouldn't be forced to sing it, but should be forced to stand there and pretend to feel connected to a bunch of white people singing a minstrel show song AT them that they don't want sung at them?

A distinction without difference.

They shouldn’t be forced to do anything. But they should be prepared to be called bitches when they act like bitches.

If there was an even remotely legit reason for the song to go it would already be gone.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Wally Pryor said:

That post-game scene was a fucking unbridled embarrassment of epic proportions. 

To whom? Who out in the world actually cared at all before people like you shit your pants endlessly about it?

You think the Eyes is racist?   Whatever.  Stand with your team captain and leader at the end.  He only carried the entire team on his back Saturday.

Do you think Sam would support your attitude and the attitude of many others here? Honest question, please answer. :)

Just now, StruggleBus said:

They shouldn’t be forced to do anything. But they should be prepared to be called bitches when they act like bitches.

Walking off the field is acting like a bitch?

Strange.

The bizarre thread that “The Eyes “ is racist because it was performed in front of racists means that if let’s say LL Cool J or Snoop Dog or Queen or The Rolling Stones or Aerosmith has a song that a white supremacist group listened to and got excited by, it shouldn’t be allowed to be pumped out on the Godzillatron because it’s racist too?

People are looking to anything in history to be recreationally triggered because I guess they ran out of legit trigger isssues.

Fuck these provocateurs in their faux racist bungholes.

• Hook 'Em 5

41 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

This is the oddest hill to charge . it's made up . Completely fabricated crap to rally around and "woke" people gather around this red herring . Oh wait , is "red" offensive. I am sure someone is charging that hill as I post ( bad_teamate) cough cough ( no Coivd bro...pussy)

You are insecure and trying to find justice where none is needed. there are sooooo many issues on campus and in this world that we can solve to improve racial justice , but you dumb cunts pick a song that has united the fans of this awesome university for 100 years. Really Really ? FUCK YOU 

You are a frightened insecure and need therapy to find a modicum of self worth in your worthless self loathing life. 

Honestly, you don’t give a shit about racial justice. Just be honest.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 4

3 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

If there was an even remotely legit reason for the song to go it would already be gone.

It’s clearly not a racist song. It’s also clearly a ripoff of another song. It’s not that big of deal.

So the thousands of fans who leave the game before the eyes are sung should be prepared to get called bitches?

I only want the players to sing at the end of the game it if they want to. If they don’t want to, then end it. What’s the point otherwise?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Texaspython said:

Honestly, you don’t give a shit about racial justice. Just be honest.

oh here we go. because I don't see racism in a song that you do , I am racist . 

FUCK YOU . know me and my life before you make ignorant statements. I fight for racial injustice in my community. I contribute to society to rise above it to support my brothers to take a hand up and not a hand out.  

Don't be that guy that makes statements to fit your narrative when you are ignorant of the facts. Doesn't make me wrong , but it makes you a little bitch 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

Maybe our next head coach should ask any recruit if they are willing to sing the eyes at the end of a game and if they say no or hesitate, that should be the end of that recruitment. Everyone happy now?

you keep using that word, sing.

5 minutes ago, maninblack said:

You cloak room douche bags think everyone else lives in your circle jerk bubble but that's not true. 

No I’m well aware there are people like you living in your own ignorant bubble.

So let me try to poke through it. We lost to OU because Herman is a shitty coach, not because our players are “woke” and didn’t sing the eyes. Can your pea brain process that fact? 

Edited by JimmyJames
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

It’s clearly not a racist song. It’s also clearly a ripoff of another song. It’s not that big of deal.

So the thousands of fans who leave the game before the eyes are sung should be prepared to get called bitches?

I only want the players to sing at the end of the game it if they want to. If they don’t want to, then end it. What’s the point otherwise?

One point is that players and others are being guilted and cajoled into NOT singing it under false pretenses and by peer pressure.that part is wrong.

As you yourself mentioned—it is not a racist song.

Whether or not the players or fans choose to sing or choose to fart is their choice. It’s just sad that their is a fake campaign against the song and it’s singing, that’s the problem. Some people are looking for fire where there was none, and inventing bizarre rationalizations for their behavior. 

The song, I don’t think most players or even fans cared about the words or their meaning. It was just a thing, a ritual that many of us did together . It was basically a unifying ritual, a good thing, not a divisive ritual.

Some want to take that unity away.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

lol @ saying black people are "recreationally triggered" by minstrelsy

So you think “The Eyes” is a minstrel song, and that’s why people sing it? This is not “Camptown Races” . People are not wearing blackface or celebrating slavery in this song. Work harder at your weak linkages.

Edited by El Squared
  • Hook 'Em 1

hey, uh...this thread is really fucked up and isn't even a discussion anymore it's just a bunch of poo flinging idiocy.

The rules are what the rules are, Athletes don't need to sing the eyes after games. It doesn't matter why, it doesn't matter when they don't, etc etc. That ship has sailed.

This thread is now for the fallout of said choices. No more talk about players and their decisions to or not to sing the eyes. Talking about a lone player staying back to sing it as admirable and respectable or whatever is fine, but don't go throwing darts at the rest of the team for anything other than team duties/responsibilities. 

I will just start deleting shit talking about "woke" this and "racist" that. Shut the fuck up you miserable fucking cunts.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

1) the reason this team is not good at all have nothing to do with whether they sing a damned song. It has a lot to do with them being dumb, undisciplined, and poorly coached.

2) if a bunch of black athletes feel a certain way about a song, that’s the way they feel. We can and should be in conversation with them about it, and if we have a good point to make (and I think we do), then we should be able to convince them both that their impression isn’t accurate, and that the song is bigger than that, and actually can and should bring us all together.

Instead, we have fans of the university telling them that they’re spoiled shits who should shut up and dance for us, and even better, we’re mostly financially secure white dudes telling black men how they are allowed to feel/not feel....for the eleven trillionth time in American history. Gosh, I can’t imagine how that would ever reflect poorly on our university.

There's also a professor or two that are a massive problem

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

hey, uh...this thread is really fucked up and isn't even a discussion anymore it's just a bunch of poo flinging idiocy.

The rules are what the rules are, Athletes don't need to sing the eyes after games. It doesn't matter why, it doesn't matter when they don't, etc etc. That ship has sailed.

This thread is now for the fallout of said choices. No more talk about players and their decisions to or not to sing the eyes. Talking about a lone player staying back to sing it as admirable and respectable or whatever is fine, but don't go throwing darts at the rest of the team for anything other than team duties/responsibilities. 

I will just start deleting shit talking about "woke" this and "racist" that. Shut the fuck up you miserable fucking cunts.

Thanks you. Glad to be apart of horn fans. 

4 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Thanks you. Glad to be apart of horn fans. 

you are so welcome to fuck right back off to horn fans or shaggytexas i hear they don't moderate over there at all and you can spew your insane bile there with no repercussions. 

Stop fucking up threads and attacking players for stuff that doesn't happen on the field and is frankly none of your god damned business.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

There's also a professor or two that are a massive problem

And a thousand or ten thousand fans who are.

Wanna solve an issue, talk to the men who are involved. Don’t wanna solve it? Call them names and continue to do what white people have done to black people in America for 400 years: call them stupid and demand they do what we want. That’s worked out great for everyone.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Shaggy/Surly should be about openness and the ability to call out stupidity when present. The EoT topic is an assault on sanity by a small group of insane people.

In the Surly spirit...fuck every dumb stupid motherfucking idiot that refuses to sing the EoT because some 20 year old that was told by their African American Studies professor that the EoT is racist because it was sung at minstrel show in the early 1900s.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Just now, immamac said:

you are so welcome to fuck right back off to horn fans or shaggytexas i hear they don't moderate over there at all and you can spew your insane bile there with no repercussions. 

Stop fucking up threads and attacking players for stuff that doesn't happen on the field and is frankly none of your god damned business.

You sound mad. Maybe you should petition and walk off the site

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

And those people can sing that song whenever and wherever they want, including DKR.

Yep.

I am not going to games this year, but if I could go out there knowing the athletes in front of me had a free choice to be there, I'd sing it myself like I have on hundreds of other occasions. I don't consider it a racist song and I don't think it's minstrel background is meaningful. And hopefully, over time, we'd show love and support to those who feel alienated by it that we could reclaim The Eyes and overcome its minstrel history and write an entirely new chapter with the student-athletes feeling like they had the agency to give approval to their end of the participation.

That's my ideal scenario for this whole thing.

But it requires a fanbase capable of showing love and support to the players even when those fans aren't getting what they want.

So, I guess I'll just shit in one hand and wish in the other.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

And those people can sing that song whenever and wherever they want, including DKR.

Maybe not, our  nannies on “the Committee” have not yet yet rendered their verdict on this heinous tradition of ours.

Edited by El Squared