Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

52-80 ... LOL! I love it. Do you own this board chump? You can't take a little disagreement? I never posted here in the past but this particular thread intrigued me because it feel like a betrayal of the players. At first, when UT made some concessions to the players I was both stunned and proud of the players and UT.  So I was shocked at any talk of possibly pushing back against the players on the whole "Eyes of Texas" issue. But rest easy, I'll get busy again and be bored with you guys' nonsense soon enough.       

• Fuck You 8

5 hours ago, The Doctor said:

MirrOlure..."The recipe for success is recruiting ATHLETES who care about playing fucking football first, and everything else second."

can see by your responses that you are a true crafty genius type so I  guess I need to carefully reach deep into my bag of trucks for a rebuttal. First off, it sounds like you're telling to players to shut up and play or to just be dumb athletes like the good ole days. Well good luck with that. That horse has left the barn. It will never be that way again. Thankfully. These kids want their cake and eat it too. And why shouldn't they? The networks pay the Conferences billions $$ to see them play, not the Alums and not you or me. THE ATHLETES ONLY. Moreover, if you want them just to be athletes, which is idiotic BS on its face, then why attempt to force them to sing a song they find offensive? If sports and just being an athlete is all that matters, then they don't need to sing anything. Just play, leave the field and live. BE AN ATHLETE! But look around. Being an athlete these days is more than that fella. Deal with it and work with the kids. The clock is not turning back to 1945.                 

The networks pay $billions$ with the hopes that the teams and players will offer a product that the fans (mostly alumni and their families) want to watch. They didn’t pay with the hopes that the players would fracture the fan base. If the networks knew what was going to happen in 2020, the contracts would have expired in 2019 or at least contain an escape clause. 

This is exactly what I was terrified of when this controversy first sprung up. Dividing the fanbase, having players run off the field, the band having a bunch of its members sit down, and more of that kind of shit. Just a big clusterfuck.

I guess I was naive to be optimistic that people would be cool and go along with the bargain that was reached, but I was hoping my initial concerns would be wrong.

This is such a miserable year to be a Texas Longhorn...and a Texan...and an American. Ah well.

Edited by Valmy77

1 hour ago, Apex73 said:

Who has said that?  And also even if some people have, that doesn't mean that you assume anyone who disagrees with this nonsense is racist.  That's just having tunnel vision completely.  You are such a political hack.

On 10/12/2020 at 12:01 PM, 52-80 said:

If the blackthletes want to bring up REAL, relevant injustices that materially affect their livelihood, let's start with how the multi-billion dollar NCAA system takes kids from the hoods, chews em up, and spits them out.

I personally dont even know if I agree with that point, but I'll entertain it.  As in fact it's been discussed earnestly year in and year out by the supposed old white beneficiaries of their sweating on the fields and on the courts.  Nobody takes umbrage to that sort of discourse.

But raising a fucking stink about a fucking song whose purported meaning has been lost to the decades of time?  What an absolutely stupid shit hill to plant your flag on.  Insubstantial.  Unproductive.  Serves no fucking purpose except as a pointless distraction.

And I don't assume anyone who disagrees with "this nonsense" is racist. Some, however, most definitely are.

34 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

This is exactly what I was terrified of when this controversy first sprung up. Dividing the fanbase, having players run off the field, the band having a bunch of its members sit down, and more of that kind of shit. Just a big clusterfuck.

I guess I was naive to be optimistic that people would be cool and go along with the bargain that was reached, but I was hoping my initial concerns would be wrong.

This is such a miserable year to be a Texas Longhorn...and a Texan...and an American. Ah well.

For every night there is a morning.  Our fan base, not all, can at least allow for the issues to be brought to the table.  It's not pretty but change rarely is.  Maybe its not an issue at Bama, Ole Miss, Miss St., LSU, aTm, or Okie YET but consider the school and fan base.  Imo, i don't think the black players there have near the ground or comfort level to raise their issues as easily as they do at Texas.  Sure there are outliers, but nothing major yet.  The shitshow of "Murica!" mouthbreathers in those fan bases will be given their chance to show their ass soon enough.  Hell, Saban just a few weeks ago reaffirmed on ESPN that he believes "all lives matter".  Where was the outrage?  Not a peep by their players that i know of.  Maybe these issues aren't as important to those players or at least not enough to do so at the expense of their chance at the NFL.   The time at those schools will come and I expect most of the divide here should be well on its way to healing.

Edited by RollLeft

51 minutes ago, elguapo said:

To keep singing the song?

You realize that the players aren’t asking fans to stop singing the song, right?

They* want to change it.  That's after they've disparaged it and told me that I'm not inclusive - or worse - because I've sung it and want to continue singing it. I don't think there is a difference.

* I'm not even sure "they" is the majority of the players and students, perhaps not even the black students.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Yes. I am capable of supporting people who have a different perspective than me. I can have beliefs and don't need them validated by everyone else. I'm a grown man who is secure in himself and his values/beliefs/experiences. Shocking.

So you think those trying to change the song are wrong?

4 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

I have, let's do it together.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Stanza 1:
I once did know a President, a way down South, in Texas.
And, always, everywhere he went, he saw the Eyes of Texas.

Chorus:
The Eyes of Texas are upon you, all the livelong day.

The Eyes of Texas are upon you, you cannot get away.
Do not think you can escape them, at night or early in the morn –
The Eyes of Texas are upon you, ’til Gabriel blows his horn.

Stanza 2:

Sing me a song of Prexy, of days long since gone by.
Again I seek to greet him, and hear his kind reply.
Smiles of gracious welcome, before my memory rise,
Again I hear him say to me, “Remember Texas’ Eyes.”
---------------------------------------------------------------------

What am I supposed to be seeing?

Again, this is a gentle ribbing and an affectionate send-up that Prather himself loved. The song was not intended to "mock" Prather's use of Lee's phrase, it was just an acknowledgment of a common trait and done so in a positive light. If the head coach walks with a limp guess what his players are going to do at the pep rally? They're going to walk with a big exaggerated limp so everyone laughs. And they aren't doing it as a middle finger to the head coach.

I don't even think the damned song itself is racist, but this horseshit about "Well, actually, The Eyes was brave and subversive at the minstrel show!" makes no sense and doesn't fit any facts. Prather loved a saying from Lee so he said it all the time. Students wrote a song about him saying it, and the song was affectionate to Prather. Prather liked it. A more serious version was drawn up to become a school song instead of just a fun diddy about one guy (Prather).

This isn't complicated.

If you do not think that the song is not racist then by what logic can you support a group of people that think that it is racist?

I am talking about facts, logic, and not the "feels".

Edited by mininghorn88

21 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

They* want to change it.  That's after they've disparaged it and told me that I'm not inclusive - or worse - because I've sung it and want to continue singing it. I don't think there is a difference.

* I'm not even sure "they" is the majority of the players and students, perhaps not even the black students.

You can still sing it to your heart's content.

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

You can still sing it to your heart's content.

Yes let's just pretend this complete and total disaster doesn't exist. And the only thing any of us want is to sing a song.

Are you a human familiar with human emotions? The Eyes of Texas was not about one person singing a song. Craziness. I have to think you are just being enormously passive aggressive here.

Something has been sacrificed of enormous value to many people. I would like to think we would get something valuable back in return. But so far all I see is conflict and bullshit. I don't see anything of value replacing what was destroyed.

But maybe that will come with time. I hope that is the case.

Until then perhaps talking about the actual situation instead of passive aggressively just ignoring the obvious would be nice.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, JBJ said:

So you think those trying to change the song are wrong?

No.

The purpose of an Alma Mater/song at the end of the game is to unite. If the song is divisive then it doesn't do its job by definition.

I think black Longhorns have a 100% legitimate reason to dislike it if they choose to do so. I also think black Longhorns who overlook its origins are legitimate as well.

8 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

If you do not think that the song is not racist then by what logic can you support a group of people that think that it is racist?

I don't think the song itself is racist. (i.e., it's not full of slurs and it's not about overwatching slaves)

I do know the history of the song, inspired by Lee (by proxy) and initially performed at a minstrel show, is something that could legitimately bother black Longhorns even if it doesn't bother me.

I am talking about facts, logic, and not the "feels".

A coldly rational view of it would have had The Eyes replaced as soon as a whiff of controversy arose. The desire to keep it is DEEPLY emotional as evidence by arguments in its favor. And that's OK, own up to it.

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

A coldly rational view of it would have had The Eyes replaced as soon as a whiff of controversy arose. The desire to keep it is DEEPLY emotional as evidence by arguments in its favor. And that's OK, own up to it.

That was certainly my initial thought as painful as that was.

Despite how shaky I feel the evidence for removing it is, I think it is just not tenable to keep it. I don't see how we move forward.

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yes let's just pretend this complete and total disaster doesn't exist. And the only thing any of us want is to sing a song.

Are you a human familiar with human emotions? The Eyes of Texas was not about one person singing a song. Craziness. I have to think you are just being enormously passive aggressive here.

Something has been sacrificed of enormous value to many people. I would like to think we would get something valuable back in return. But so far all I see is conflict and bullshit. I don't see anything of value replacing what was destroyed.

But maybe that will come with time. I hope that is the case.

Until then perhaps talking about the actual situation instead of passive aggressively just ignoring the obvious would be nice.

The situation is this: fans are upset because they realize a beloved tradition has ended. That's not easy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

4 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Apex73... I'm not sure where to begin with you. BLM is not deciding anything. The players and other African Americans have decided what they want on their own. Of course they think for themselves, but sometimes, like RIGHT NOW we (African-Americans and their allies) all have a few common or shared interests. Do you think the UT players put their careers on the line because BLM told them to? No, it's because they have their own convictions. CONVICTIONS. And YES, I do believe 1000% that if UT takes a hard stance against these players, your profile and recruitment of top black players with take a devastating hit. The war for talent between the top football programs is already vicious. Imagine if other schools and elite players begin a whisper campaign that says UT doesn't empathize with or stand with the Black athlete. Add that narrative to UT's mediocre reputation for player development and NFL preparedness. And you will see very fast how far UT football will sink, if even 6 or 7, four and five star players drop UT from consideration every cycle. Get real. UT like every other top program needs every positive narrative it can get with African American players. What alternate (FOX News?) recruiting universe do you live in?                 

If keeping the song means we lose every one of these current players, so be it.  When they leave they are free to explain to other recruits and fans why they will take their talents to Georgia or Mississippi and how the EOT is racist, something like this

Always Sunny Fx GIF
but would applaud their conviction 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

That was certainly my initial thought as painful as that was.

Despite how shaky I feel the evidence for removing it is, I think it is just not tenable to keep it. I don't see how we move forward.

It's far more divisive to change it.  It probably wouldn't take for decades. 

A handful of activist teenagers will realize they were wrong much sooner.  It happens all the time.

Just now, ChickenSandwich said:

If keeping the song means we lose every one of these current players, so be it.  When they leave they are free to explain to other recruits and fans why they will take their talents to Georgia or Mississippi and how the EOT is racist, something like this

Always Sunny Fx GIF

The song isn't going anywhere. The way it is celebrated after sporting events by fans, students, and athletes is what has changed forever.

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

The song isn't going anywhere. The way it is celebrated after sporting events by fans, students, and athletes is what has changed forever.

The only point of the song was what it was celebrating. If that has changed it serves no point and will soon be gone.

I don't really understand your point here. It is a school song not a pop song with some life outside of its context.

2 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

The networks pay $billions$ with the hopes that the teams and players will offer a product that the fans (mostly alumni and their families) want to watch. They didn’t pay with the hopes that the players would fracture the fan base. If the networks knew what was going to happen in 2020, the contracts would have expired in 2019 or at least contain an escape clause. 

Well if no one watches then that's problem solved, right? You won't have a team and the SEC and Big 10 will happily take all of our Texas homegrown kids. Simple calculus - which these young athletes understand now. These kids didn't wake up one morning looking to fracture the fan base, but the fan base needs to realize the kids are not robots and you have to deal with them on new terms or it will cost you. It will cost everyone who loves college football. They don't have to go to Texas. They choose to go to Texas IF it makes sense to them. If it feels like a real home  to them.       

Edited by The Doctor
typo
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

The only point of the song was what it was celebrating. If that has changed it serves no point and will soon be gone.

I don't really understand your point here. It is a school song not a pop song with some life outside of its context.

I think there will always be fans who keep it alive and sing with each other and some players and coaches after games.

But it's never going to be like it was. If that means it eventually dies out, that's OK too.

Edited by David Dennison

3 hours ago, JBJ said:

A handful of activist teenagers will realize they were wrong much sooner. 

The problem with this is that former players have already said The Eyes was disliked by some who went through the motions because they had.

We cannot trust the players actually want to participate. You can say, "fuck those ungrateful ... uh ... guys, do what you're told!" and sing it at them anyway, but personally I actually want to feel connected to my team not just an angry overseer demanding the shuck and jive.

22 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

The problem with this is that former players have already said The Eyes was disliked by some who went through the motions because they had.

We cannot trust the players actually want to participate. You can say, "fuck those ungrateful ... uh ... guys, do what you're told!" and sing it at them anyway, but personally I actually want to feel connected to my team not just an angry overseer demanding the shuck and jive.

Yes, yes.

I agree with the points in the video. The stink of losing that surrounds this program is making every issue more difficult to manage. Having a lame duck coach could be catastrophic. If CDC is as smart as some of you think he is, he will put this fire out quick. Tom has to go. Allowing any financial considerations to come into play here would be short sighted foolishness.

Edited by Loather
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Well then my previous point stands.

The whole point of the song is about our unity and love for each other. Celebrating our love for the University and each other. Having half of the fans/players/students not want to participate undermines the whole thing. So best to get rid of it for that reason. What are we even doing then?

We didn't even need the players to sing it, it was just fun to sing it as a fanbase. But it no longer makes sense to do so.

Edited by Valmy77

6 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Always Sunny Fx GIF
but would applaud their conviction 

The real world doesn’t have adversity. It continuously caters to your feelings and changes itself to fit your worldview. It would be a shame if we taught our college kids differently. You’re supposed to always get what you want. 18-22 year olds are society’s unsung heroes based on their wealth of experience and knowledge. In fact, if we were talking about the soccer team instead of the football team, no one would have even heard or cared about this issue. Amazing how a platform can dictate the message.

I hope this issue can be put to bed soon so our team can focus on how to make a tackle or kick and extra point, as interesting as it is to hear their take.

Edited by Spankytoes
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Well then my previous point stands.

The whole point of the song is about our unity and love for each other. Celebrating our love for the University and each other. Having half of the fans/players/students not want to participate undermines the whole thing. So best to get rid of it for that reason. What are we even doing then?

We didn't even need the players to sing it, it was just fun to sing it as a fanbase. But it no longer makes sense to do so.

Yes but the reason why is based on a lie.

And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

See below

This should be there sticky on every page of this thread

On 10/11/2020 at 3:53 PM, Hagbard Celine said:

Before you read my post below, if you are sincerely interested in a critique of your opinion, i urge you to read the wiki for Post hoc, ergo propter hoc:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_hoc_ergo_propter_hoc

126 years ago, the lyrics to a folk song were transcribed for the first time at Princeton.  10 years later, 2 leaders in our student government kept the music and changed the lyrics to taunt and mock the then-current leader of The University.  The song was unfortunately performed for the first time at a Minstrel Show.  And it may have been performed in blackface.  Over the following 116 years the song was sung out loud by millions of voices, none of whom ever believed they were singing a "racist" song "celebrating" "racial" anything.  Then 115 years later, Minneapolis cops killed murdered George Floyd, and African Americans attending The University (with no outside influence?) were told, decided, or became 'woke' to their belief/opinion regarding the intent and meaning of the song, which said opinion is not shared by a massive (MASSIVE) percentage of former alumni who, regardless of race, creed, color, or class, have the intelligence to see the false association between intent of the song, and the location and setting of the first performance of the song.  And, understandably, this cohort is pissed off that a piece of their lives has been warrior-ed away from them at a time when stupidity is rampant in the program, and not just in and around this topic.

The intent of the song is not racist.

It's origins are not racist.

Because it debuted at a minstrel show, you INSIST that it's origins are in minstrelsy.  The debut of the Texas version of the song at a minstrel event does not make the song racist just because you say it does.  The music was not composed for a racist cause or with racist intent.  The lyrics to the Texas version of the song were not composed for a racist cause or with racist intent.

There is zero historical evidence that the music or lyrics of the folk version or the Texas version are racist.  You can write a billion gigs of woke rant and it won't change the fact that there is zero historical evidence that the song itself is racist in any way shape or form, an ugly fact which will not be downed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spankytoes said:

The real world doesn’t have adversity. It continuously caters to your feelings and changes itself to fit your worldview. It would be a shame if we taught our college kids differently. You’re supposed to always get what you want. 18-22 year olds are society’s unsung heroes based on their wealth of experience and knowledge. 

This applies just as much to people who have gotten used to The Eyes. A shame you don't realize that.

1 minute ago, Zeus said:

Yes but the reason why is based on a lie.

- The lyrics are directly connected to a maxim from Robert E Lee (quoting someone who adapted Lee's words to Texas specifically).
- The song was originally sung at a minstrel show.

These aren't lies. And those who historically-established facts make it reasonable for black Longhorns to be uncomfortable with the song.

You can choose to focus on some not-true things that people criticizing The Eyes have said (claiming that "The Eyes" refer to slaveowners/catchers and somesuch things) but the fact that SOME of the critiques are untrue doesn't negate the historical facts I put in the above bullet points.

It's tough. It sucks. I wish the history wasn't the history.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 3

8 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

This applies just as much to people who have gotten used to The Eyes. A shame you don't realize that.

- The lyrics are directly connected to a maxim from Robert E Lee (quoting someone who adapted Lee's words to Texas specifically).

These aren't lies. And those who historically-established facts make it reasonable for black Longhorns to be uncomfortable with the song.

You can choose to focus on some not-true things that people criticizing The Eyes have said (claiming that "The Eyes" refer to slaveowners/catchers and somesuch things) but the fact that SOME of the critiques are untrue doesn't negate the historical facts I put in the above bullet points.

I feel sorry for your mother

50475653916_f086238313_b.jpg

Can we ban Michael Jackson’s music while we are at it?

lick GIF

Edited by ChickenSandwich

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

- The lyrics are directly connected to a university that allowed minstrel shows, that had a president that was a student of Robert E Lee (quoting someone who adapted Lee's words to Texas specifically). that did not enroll black students for another 50 years, that was funded by government that did little to fight segregation during the same era, in fact only 20 years earlier our same government passed the Chinese Exclusion Act, all while singing the newly penned star spangled banner that states the land of the "free" which definitely did not include blacks, as they were considered property, for another 60 years.   

These also aren't lies. And those who historically-established facts make it reasonable for black Longhorns AMERICANS to be uncomfortable with the song and a bunch of other shit.

fify

Edited by RollLeft
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

I do realize that. Perhaps you will realize that there is a difference between having a dialogue on how to change a culture and taking dictation like a hostage negotiator. This issue was supposedly put to bed after meetings with the administration. The players are entitled to their opinion. I am entitled to mine. If the goal is to have unity, the “submit or else” tactic isn’t effective. Many positive compromises were made to address legit concerns. You can take up for black people/players and call detractors racist all you want. Up until a few months ago, supporting the EoT wasn’t even a controversial issue. Go ring your “shame” bell somewhere else.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

The whole point of the song is about our unity and love for each other. Celebrating our love for the University and each other. Having half of the fans/players/students not want to participate undermines the whole thing. So best to get rid of it for that reason. 

If you think telling alums and donors to “fuck off” will fix the problem, you’re extremely naive, at best. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Well given the shit music that is played pregame and during the game that is clearly offensive and oppressive to women, gays, and other diversity groups, I find the lack of player protest for that music quite telling.  

Said it back in June.   These dudes better win big-time or this will get ugly quick.  The feel-good of social justice by a winning team (remember the Titans) is something everybody loves.  

Losing makes the protest of the eyes seem intentionally divisive.   Know your f’ing audience.   

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

The problem with this is that some former players have already said The Eyes was disliked by some who went through the motions because they had.

2 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Yes, yes.

Why is this even being brought up?  No one is still arguing that players "must" do it.  It was decided a month ago.  You don't want to sing The Eyes, don't.  It isn't new that were former players that that didn't give a damn about the song or university.  Lovell Pinkney for example.  Hadnot was another.  Tony Brackens just didn't care about anyone.  I'm certain there were many more we would struggle to remember that to this day give little regard to the university.  To them we were a stepping stone.  Hell there are former players that don't even remember all of their team mates over their four years.    Didn't Jermichael Finley go in early a few times.  Some dudes just never cared.  So what?  No fans did anything of consequence in response.  18-22 year olds gonna 18-22 year old.  Even the best of them went out and made wise decisions like hiring Master P as their agent.  As much as we love them it doesn't mean they always know what is best for themselves, much less the University.  

Edited by RollLeft
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 10/7/2020 at 11:02 AM, BrazilHorn said:

The more I think about it the less I care if the band ever even plays at UT football (or any game for that matter). It is not even due to the protest over "The Eyes" as frankly I give zero fucks about that. It is more due to the fact that overall I cannot ever think of a game I have been at where I have been overwhelmed by the LHB even being there.

In terms of halftime I am in club drinking/eating vs watching their show so for me having them not be there at all wouldn't matter.

Could save the school a ton of $ in terms of flying band to/fro etc. I know some folks are huge LHB people, just for me they aren't a net adder to my overall gameday satisfaction. All I care is if Horns win the fucking game, having the band play doesn't matter.

You know what would save even more money? Not refusing to do proper hiring searches and getting stuck with shit ass coaches you have to pay tens of millions just to make go away before their contracts end. Those tens of millions wasted could pay for the band for generations