Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

1 minute ago, Knighthawk said:

Who gives a shit?

We suck at football right now.  Your position is that making the players stand for the song will make the players (that already suck at football) leave and go elsewhere (to suck at football wherever they go).   

I say screw it.   Protect our non-racist traditions.  It’s worth it.   We have the most recognizable alma mater in the country.   Why get rid of it at the expense of shitty misguided players?

TEXAS  football soon = SMU football. But the traditions and songs will be awesomely great at Rugby games.    

• Fuck You 4

I like the Eyes and don't think it's racist. I also don't think we should stop doing things that have some Kevin Bacon style connection to racism.

But, I think the players ultimately will get their way. Jumping in front of the racial justice bulldozer in 2020 takes a really strong backbone, and I don't think CDC and the admin have that backbone. 

5 minutes ago, CDAK said:

I like the Eyes and don't think it's racist. I also don't think we should stop doing things that have some Kevin Bacon style connection to racism.

But, I think the players ultimately will get their way. Jumping in front of the racial justice bulldozer in 2020 takes a really strong backbone, and I don't think CDC and the admin have that backbone. 

Well I disagree.  In the real world, half assed losers that make unreasonable demands don’t get their way.  They get a pat on the head and are told to shut up and color.   

Half assed Losers are easily replaced.  A bunch of 3 stars that love their school and go all in for practice and on the field would win more than this shit.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Knighthawk said:

Who gives a shit?

We suck at football right now.  Your position is that making the players stand for the song will make the players (that already suck at football) leave and go elsewhere (to suck at football wherever they go).   

I say screw it.   Protect our non-racist traditions.  It’s worth it.   We have the most recognizable alma mater in the country.   Why get rid of it at the expense of shitty misguided players?

They won't leave, they just won't obey. It's going to be an ongoing issue.

10 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

Well I disagree.  In the real world, half assed losers that make unreasonable demands don’t get their way.  They get a pat on the head and are told to shut up and color.   

Half assed Losers are easily replaced.  A bunch of 3 stars that love their school and go all in for practice and on the field would win more than this shit.  

I think that's changing. I won't get into the specifics because that's outside the scope of this thread. But, to give a brief high-level overview, I work at a pretty large company and receive racial justice training, messaging, counseling sessions, meetings, etc. on a near daily frequency. There certainly is not a "pound sand" attitude toward people making demands. 

29 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

Well, Sam and the kicker who really doesn't count were the only ones there so do the math? You know there is a ton of peer pressure and they don't want to be perceived as racist.  I'm not saying all of them but there is no way Sam is the only one that if they felt they had a real choice and not be judged as a racist then they would be out there. 

and there could be other non-white players that would rather be on the field for the Eyes.

6 hours ago, dcar00 said:

I thought the band thing was about Covid.  did the drum major really refuse to play it?

Yes, the drum major has said she won’t lead it. Of course the excuse given is that we do not know the effects of covid blown through instruments outdoors so the band will not play, but I am unaware of any other band anywhere claiming that And not at least playing at home games.

IMO, It’s a convenient way to avoid the spectacle of a drum major who refuses to carry out her only purpose as drum major. Seems that adults are afraid to lead students anymore. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It doesn’t matter what effect it has. Them walking off the field is costing the athletic department millions in donations. That’s the bottom line. 

I think losing to shitty teams isn’t helping the cause either.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Knighthawk said:

this is a goddamn flying shame.

because all these talented kids are leaving texas for a transfer over to -- check notes -- northwestern state, steven f austin, lousiana tech, and florida international university...........

I'm an Ole Miss alum. I wanted to chime on this.

Like renaming the buildings, getting rid of statues etc. Most people didn't care about that stuff or even supported it because most people are apolitical/one issue people and generally, the big ask was a lot of the traditions and identity, though we did get rid of some stuff like Colonel Reb (who has too complicated a history to go into here) in the late 90s (and fully in the 2010s) before the fervor among young people for this sort of thing. Wanting to drop the rebels name was the big ask, which was compromised on and eventually redefined fully but the name and wordmark was kept. Other things like Dixie were slowly worked out.

The problem was the new traditions that were attempted to be started were incredibly lame and artificial, like the black bear mascot. It's like the 'skins rebranding not being well received because the WFT is incredibly generic and lame. (Seriously, why not just do Washington FC if you were going to go that route?) The solution was tying something natural with winning football. That, and simply giving lesser known traditions greater prominence helps too, the student body loves this kind of stuff.

Trust me, if you ever get a competent AD, it will be fine and other stuff will emerge and maybe even stuff you didn't even know happened will be very fun and cool for fans and students alike and the atmosphere may even be better than before. Texas is a blue blood with the money to do this, much more than my school, I promise to all of you worried about it. And it's not like Eyes will stop existing, you can still listen to the records of it and other stuff that could be phased out from the band, I still have a flag with Colonel Reb on it in my rec room because it is part of the history of my school that I love and nobody is denying that, but it's just not fit for public consumption anymore.

Texas is a more liberal state and Austin is very liberal, so it will be fine, I promise again.

Edited by HottyToddy
  • Fuck You 1

13 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

https://texassports.com/news/2020/10/14/forty-acres-insider-oct-14.aspx

Greetings Longhorn Nation,

I do want to start today's Forty Acres Insider by apologizing to y'all for my delay in getting back to your many tweets, phone calls and emails in a timely fashion, as my wife has been battling severe vertigo and migraines for the past six weeks, and on Tuesday, we finally got in to see a neurologist followed by an MRI and scans. She's doing okay and we're awaiting those results, but I've obviously had a significant amount of my attention on her and this situation. I'll keep you posted on my bride … fingers crossed!

Many of your questions have been about our student-athletes and the confusion about why they have not remained on the field for "The Eyes of Texas" after the games. I, like so many of you, view the song with pride and sing loudly and proudly in honor of the efforts of those who represent and support this phenomenal institution. As much as our student-athletes love this University, they have questions about the history of "The Eyes" and concerns about it. As you are aware, this past summer, during the height of civil unrest in our country, some of them brought to our attention their concerns over a number of issues on campus, including the origin of the song. President Hartzell was absolutely clear that "The Eyes" is and will remain our school song, but in an effort to further understand its origins, full history, and how it's evolved over time, he established a committee to study, contextualize, and reclaim the song's origin. We believe it is important to understand the history as we continue to perform it.

With that said, I do want to clarify that I have had many conversations with our head coaches outlining my expectations that our teams show appreciation for our University, fans, and supporters by standing together as a unified group for "The Eyes," while we work through this issue. However, like all families who see the world through different lenses, we have plenty of work to do on this subject and will continue to do so, but rest assured, our student-athletes love and respect this University very much and are competing their hearts out for it.

Holy fuck, Del Conte.  What a clusterfuck. 

Best that you stick to managing the midway carnival thing outside the stadium on game day and then the whored-out, assault-on-our-senses environment in game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Guys, guys, guys... There's too much arguing going on about this situation, when in reality we should all be united to rejoice one simple fact: the CDC declaration is going to piss off a lot of the players which will make them play even worse, which will get Herman out of here even faster. Whether you agree with his actual decision or not, CDC did us all a solid. 

• Hook 'Em 3

An Ole Miss fan having to come in and talk Song Karen down off the ledge. The Lord surely does show us wonders.

8 hours ago, tjhooker said:

Oh, I agree they don't have that back bone but the alumni and donors do.  We will make them have that backbone. 

The players are physically tougher than 100% of the posters here and mentally tougher than 90% of the posters in this thread. I genuinely don't understand what "backbone" you think alumni are demonstrating right now. All they are doing is taking a stand to make sure everyone respects what they want to happen.

Alumni who are mad about this are saying it's about protecting the University, but the University is not The Eyes. CDC could've come out in June and said, "We're replacing The Eyes with The Yellow Rose of Texas" and it still would've been the University and the vast majority of Texas students and alumni wouldn't notice/care and most of the crowd would leave before it was sung just like they do with The Eyes.

8 hours ago, Knighthawk said:

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 hours ago, David Dennison said:

They won't leave, they just won't obey. It's going to be an ongoing issue.

I won't prognosticate about what WILL happen, but I do know that even if the players are out there, most of them won't want to be. And we'll have a majority-black team, most of whom object to the racially problematic history of The Eyes, having it sung at them by a majority-white crowd, many of whom openly hate them.

Absolutely shameful stuff.

Song Karen will be happy, though. What a pretty picture it will be!

calvin-candie.png

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, TexasPride10 said:

Guys, guys, guys... There's too much arguing going on about this situation, when in reality we should all be united to rejoice one simple fact: the CDC declaration is going to piss off a lot of the players which will make them play even worse, which will get Herman out of here even faster. Whether you agree with his actual decision or not, CDC did us all a solid. 

Silver linings in everything 

15 minutes ago, TexasPride10 said:

Inshallah

9 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

An Ole Miss fan having to come in and talk Song Karen down off the ledge. The Lord surely does show us wonders.

The players are physically tougher than 100% of the posters here and mentally tougher than 90% of the posters in this thread. I genuinely don't understand what "backbone" you think alumni are demonstrating right now. All they are doing is taking a stand to make sure everyone respects what they want to happen.

Alumni who are mad about this are saying it's about protecting the University, but the University is not The Eyes. CDC could've come out in June and said, "We're replacing The Eyes with The Yellow Rose of Texas" and it still would've been the University and the vast majority of Texas students and alumni wouldn't notice/care and most of the crowd would leave before it was sung just like they do with The Eyes.

I won't prognosticate about what WILL happen, but I do know that even if the players are out there, most of them won't want to be. And we'll have a majority-black team, most of whom object to the racially problematic history of The Eyes, having it sung at them by a majority-white crowd, many of whom openly hate them.

calvin-candie.png

Ah, yes Karen this you're this blue hair that, reading through this thread was sickening/upsetting at first with how little people respect each other and jump for the proverbial kill as soon as they can. I hope this is just message board behavior and not how Texans/Longhorns treat each other.

I also don't think that people would attend a gridiron football game if they "openly hated" blacks. But okay.

I also feel that this was to be expected, considering the nature of negotiation. None of them even threatened to strike, and it wasn't only about the song.

Edited by HottyToddy

I didn't say that those who openly hate the players hate all black people. They hate the players themselves, in some cases in very personal and targeted ways; Read the thread. The visceral hatred and disdain for our athletes (note: based on virtually nothing but poor play and going to the locker room during The Eyes) drips from every page of this thread since Saturday. Some of those same people posting that hatred here will go sing this at those same players in the future. That's disgusting.

Also, plenty of racists love watching black people entertain them. I'm not saying that's what is happening here, but in general. (I can't stand the Irish. Just awful people; never should've allowed them in, but I love watching Conor McGregor punch people in the face. And I'll listen to The Cranberries and read some Adrian McKinty.)

Also, you're on a UT message board. You're going to get teased and I didn't even tease you that hard. But if you're going to whine about mild teasing then make ready your ass. I thought about saying, "this is like a fully-robed Klansman talking down a pony-tailed woman in Sephora who is about to lynch a black cashier over an expired coupon" but I went softer because we don't know each other.

Edited by bad_teammate

9 minutes ago, HottyToddy said:

Ah, yes Karen this you're this blue hair that, reading through this thread was sickening/upsetting at first with how little people respect each other and jump for the kill as soon as they came. I hope this is just message board behavior and not how Texans treat each other 

I also don't think that people would attend a gridiron football game if they "openly hated" blacks. But okay.

You are new around here. Welcome to Surly

21 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

calvin-candie.png

Yes, replacing The Eyes with The Yellow Rose of Texas would make all of these concerns about historical racism go away. Great idea. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I didn't say that those who openly hate the players hate all black people. They hate the players themselves, in some cases in very personal and targeted ways; Read the thread. The visceral hatred and disdain for our athletes (note: based on virtually nothing but poor play and going to the locker room during The Eyes) drips from every page of this thread since Saturday. Some of those same people posting that hatred here will go sing this at those same players in the future. That's disgusting.

Also, plenty of racists love watching black people entertain them. I'm not saying that's what is happening here, but in general. (I can't stand the Irish. Just awful people; never should've allowed them in, but I love watching Conor McGregor punch people in the face. And I'll listen to The Cranberries and read some Adrian McKinty.)

Also, you're on a UT message board. You're going to get teased and I didn't even tease you that hard. But if you're going to whine about mild teasing then make ready your ass. I thought about saying, "this is like a fully-robed Klansman talking down a pony-tailed woman in Sephora who is about to lynch a black cashier over an expired coupon" but I went softer because we don't know each other.

It's not about you, I'm fine with being stereotyped as a racist/Klansman for attending Ole Miss considering that's what our in-state rivals constantly do even though we got rid of almost everything of that nature in our athletics and the statues etc etc. I was more concerned about the vitriol and namecalling towards eachother in a rather inconsequential negotiation that wont even affect all that much and that none of you are even involved in. I was upset about the hatred towards the players too. 

Also, that might not be the best example considering how hard the internet screams from the top of the hills that Irish Americans are not Irish and are separate entities and that we shouldn't claim Euro identity or whatever. I get what you're saying though I just didn't understand the example of the open hatred for blacks meaning just longhorn players.

I apologize.

Edited by HottyToddy

15 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Yes, replacing The Eyes with The Yellow Rose of Texas would make all of these concerns about historical racism go away. Great idea. 

tenor.gif

lol I'm not proposing that swap. The point was/is that The Eyes as a song does not define, even in a small way, what The University is. So if you're defending The Eyes you are not defending The University.

If you are defending The Eyes vehemently, you are not defending The University itself, you're defending your personal experiences as your tiny part of The University.

And that's fine, but let's be honest about it. The University makes The Eyes, not the other way around. If we replaced The Eyes with anything (Yellow Rose, Mo Bamba, I'm a Lumberjack (And I'm OK), Amish Paradise), The Eyes would eventually die and The University would remain. And 60 years from now the neo-Boomers would weep furiously on the futureNet when the young kids wanted to take away their precious beloved Lumberjack song for being problematic.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

Not sure why people are posting their feelings about this song. None of that matters.

Facts: The song is labeled as “racist.” One side thinks its “racist.” 

The other side wants to preserve tradition. 

Guess which side is not going to back down? Hint: Its not the old white donors

end of story

13 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The people who think it’s racist are few.

Majority either don’t care or want to keep it. 

seems like the majority won out. 

Just because you’re in the few that think it’s racist and yell louder doesn’t make your point greater. 

It does if the song history even has a hint of historical racism. Btw im all for keeping the song but it wont be kept. Gnashing of teeth over it is only making the university look worse and worse by the day

Just now, GreenspointTexas said:

One side is going to have to back down. It wont be the players. Theyve come too far already.

Like I said, this will end poorly not just for the university, but for the fanbase and players as well

You’re a fool. This will cycle out and it will be a non issue in 6-8 months. Especially when we hire Urban. 

you honestly think that a dozen or so current players will outweigh the entire history of the school and program? Specifically alumni and donors. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You’re a fool. This will cycle out and it will be a non issue in 6-8 months. Especially when we hire Urban. 

you honestly think that a dozen or so current players will outweigh the entire history of the school and program? Specifically alumni and donors. 

Its happened dozens of times in college athletics. Every time, the players won out

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

They've already changed the tradition. Moreover, a bunch of resentful players standing around refusing to throw up the Hook 'em during a post-game Eyes of Texas isn't exactly the picture of unity. In fact, it's just the opposite.

1 hour ago, HottyToddy said:

lol yeah man.  Take a swing through Daily Texan.  Definitely no highly coded dogwhistle racism in any of those threads.  No sir.  Definitely not. 

Edited by Continental Op
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

They've already changed the tradition. Moreover, a bunch of resentful players standing around refusing to throw up the Hook 'em during a post-game Eyes of Texas isn't exactly the picture of unity. In fact, it's just the opposite.

You’re so mad the song is staying and players have to stand unified with the fans out of respect. 

• Hook 'Em 1