Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

8 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

this pisses me off even more. How the fuck do people all the sudden get offended by that?  Was that Caden in the last little frame there with a smile and his horns up?  Who were the guys sitting with the students smiling and having a great time?  

Yes that was Caden Sterns. The ones sitting among the crowd were Chris Brown and Jeffrey McCulloch I believe.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Yes, but the EOT was performed at student events steeped in racism. And that's the problem.

So is Every other school song in America. Hey why don't we uproot the trees that were present during anything racist that happened while we are at it. Things can be taken to an extreme as well. Anyone can walk up and say "you know what that's racist and offensive to me so change it". Doesn't mean it is or has to be changed.

• Hook 'Em 6

Just now, Rockethorn1978 said:

So is Every other school song in America. Hey why don't we uproot the trees that were present during anything racist that happened while we are at it. Things can be taken to an extreme as well. Anyone can walk up and say "you know what that's racist and offensive to me so change it". Doesn't mean it is or has to be changed.

Telling black players they have to stand and remain for a song they find offensive is equally extreme.

Just now, David Dennison said:

Telling black players they have to stand and remain for a song they find offensive is equally extreme.

Again just because someone says it's offensive doesn't make it so. If we want a chaotic system where kids can say i don't like this so change it then they will just start saying it to get their way,

"I find taking a test offensive" ok you don't have too,.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Rockethorn1978 said:

Again just because someone says it's offensive doesn't make it so. If we want a chaotic system where kids can say i don't like this so change it then they will just start saying it to get their way,

"I find taking a test offensive" ok you don't have too,.

Yes, it does.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 3

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

The whole team is being asked to stay in respect of fans... there are other players that are not black who find the history of how EOT originated as racist. 

So the message by staying for EOT provides a way for the team to show support and unity for the fans and The University...

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

The whole team is being asked to stay in respect of fans... there are other players that are not black who find the history of how EOT originated as racist. 

So the message by staying for EOT provides a way for the team to show support and unity for the fans and The University...

Forcing them to do so is the exact opposite of support and unity.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

42 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

Those players that started the eyes issue over the summer are about to be faced with a very real life episode of "when keepin' it real goes wrong".

I would respect them if the entire premise weren't bullshit. Alas, it is.

• Hook 'Em 3

23 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Forcing them to do so is the exact opposite of support and unity.

I disagree... While EOT has some issues in how it was originated, it has in many years that have followed been a unifier of players, fans, alumni and The University.  

I trust what Earl Campbell and Ricky Williams say about the EOT:

"I'm proud of that song,” Campbell said on a Zoom call with the media. “I think there's a lot of things that can be done other than that song in my opinion. I just believe 'The Eyes of Texas' stands for something."

Fellow Longhorns Heisman Trophy winner Ricky Williams also talked about the school’s ties to the song.  "I think it's important to understand our history and to understand where the song came from, but I think it's more powerful to transform the meaning of the song and the definition of the song rather than trying to erase our history like it never existed,” Williams said.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just now, bad_teammate said:

Only if you think those young men are equal to you as Longhorns.

If you think they're less than you, though, there's no problem.

Shut the fuck up and stop race baiting. It's ridiculous. Not a single person here disagrees with any of our players because of their skin color.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I think what has most of those upset, is a culture of enabling and in some aspects babying people who find something offensive, and not oppressive. It seemingly only takes a large enough group to decide they don’t like something, demand change, and use whatever they can to leverage the change. On the other side, those being forced to change don’t see a real reason to change as there is no actual oppression,  and catering to the offended isn’t really doing anything but giving candy to a baby.

it’s almost a no win situation, especially with something that has been so racially intertwined. The EoT is tainted now, and I’m not sure we will actually ever be able to go back. Those that support the song will have to accept it being gone. And those that want it gone should help foster a culture that embraces those resisting change and allow something new to takes its place. It’s not enough to say you are offended and why it offends you and expect someone to placate to you. They need to offer to reach out and express they aren’t against the fans or alums and that they still want them around and something to rally around like a new song. The fans and alums were here before and are going to be the here in the future and their importance can’t be understated, but the fans need to also allow for something new. It sucks because it felt great to sing the song with 100,000, but it certainly sucks when you get your ass beat like we have over the last 10 years.

yet with all things seemingly, no one wants to budge. And the unification of the university is not happening.  Leadership is needed and it’s seemingly nowhere in sight.

5 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

On the other side, those being forced to change don’t see a real reason to change as there is no actual oppression,  and catering to the offended isn’t really doing anything but giving candy to a baby.

Yes, you have an extremely negative opinion of your fellow Longhorns and don't care or listen to their concerns. Congratulations?

3 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

For me, The EoT has always been an INCLUSIVE song. If you were young, old, male, female, binary, black, white or brown, if you threw the horns up and sang the song you were part of a group.

What if the world consisted of people other than you?

55 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I would respect them if the entire premise weren't bullshit. Alas, it is.

All they have to do is provide the evidence in the form of authentic contemporary sources which even intimate to the slightest degree that the UT student leaders who used Prather's recitation of Lee's phrase (with the noun "Texas" replacing the noun "South") at a minimum of 33 years after Lee's death did so with racist intent or cause in 1903.  If they can do that, in the court of historical accuracy and professional-grade logic, they win the day.

/judge smails

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Yes, you have an extremely negative opinion of your fellow Longhorns and don't care or listen to their concerns. Congratulations?

What if the world consisted of people other than you?

I’ve changed “my” opinion, but it doesn’t mean I don’t respect others. 

can you tell me one time (in the past 50 years) where the EoT was used to discriminate or be exclusive? I’ll wait. 

Just now, Hagbard Celine said:

All they have to do is provide the evidence in the form of authentic contemporary sources which even intimate to the slightest degree that the UT student leaders who used Prather's recitation of Lee's phrase (with the noun "Texas" replacing the noun "South") at a minimum of 33 years after Lee's death did so with racist intent or cause in 1903.  If they can do that, in the court of historical accuracy and professional-grade logic, they win the day.

/judge smails

That conveniently ignores the fact that the song was performed at racist minstrel shows. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Fans that love the song can stay as long as they want after games and sing it. Not sure what the problem is.

They want to serenade and taunt the players that they hate.

For... uh... unity and tradition?

Edited by bad_teammate
  • Fuck You 3

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Internet is serious business.

As a fellow Poster, I respect the self-seriousness with which he said that hilariously stupid thing about being a resilient poster.

While you studied physical fitness, I studied the forums
While you developed your athletic skill, I increased my WPM
While you earned a scholarship to an elite program, I posted
And now that the barbarians are at the gate and want to not sing the I've Been Working on the Railroad song,
you want me to stop posting?

• Hook 'Em 1

The written word, be it a story, a book or a song, has always been open for individual interpretation going back to the Bible itself. The overwhelming majority see nothing racist about the EOT and most of the others that do, now do so because they were told to by a “woke” professor. The origins of the song may have been questionable but over several decades the song has become overwhelmingly positive. Can the meaning not change over time? Can a negative beginning not become a positive? Can a child of rape not become a doctor, lawyer, President because of questionable beginning? Are criminals not given every chance to rehabilitate themselves into something positive? I have a problem with the way those that are offended by things get to pick and choose when they are offended. Current music lyrics are offensive to me. Yet they play the whole game. The N word is offensive, rightfully so, but seemingly only depending on who is saying it and never in a song unless sung by a white person. I have no problem with outrage but I do have a problem with selective outrage. Tradition makes college football. EOT is a great Texas tradition. I’m fine with telling current players and future recruits that ALL traditions will be participated in if you play at Texas. Let the chips fall where they may. It’s not like we’re winning championships now anyway. There are plenty of kids smart enough to see the beginning, transformation and importance of the song at UT. Recruiting will be fine after all this blows over. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Thinking about it...you know what I find more racist than the eyes or Texas? It’s Kevin/DD assertion that we need to “just wait until basketball season” just  because the players are black. 

We're past even arguing with them.  They have no solid ground so they spew forth gigs of gibberish like whack-a-mole re-covering ground on which they have already suffered comprehensive defeat.  We're just going around in circles at this point.   We need to flush the system and anyone who doesn't want to be here can GTFO.

Mount Suribachi is 7000 klicks that way ------------------>

3 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

The written word, be it a story, a book or a song, has always been open for individual interpretation going back to the Bible itself. The overwhelming majority see nothing racist about the EOT and most of the others that do, now do so because they were told to by a “woke” professor. The origins of the song may have been questionable but over several decades the song has become overwhelmingly positive. Can the meaning not change over time? Can a negative beginning not become a positive? Can a child of rape not become a doctor, lawyer, President because of questionable beginning? Are criminals not given every chance to rehabilitate themselves into something positive? I have a problem with the way those that are offended by things get to pick and choose when they are offended. Current music lyrics are offensive to me. Yet they play the whole game. The N word is offensive, rightfully so, but seemingly only depending on who is saying it and never in a song unless sung by a white person. I have no problem with outrage but I do have a problem with selective outrage. Tradition makes college football. EOT is a great Texas tradition. I’m fine with telling current players and future recruits that ALL traditions will be participated in if you play at Texas. Let the chips fall where they may. It’s not like we’re winning championships now anyway. There are plenty of kids smart enough to see the beginning, transformation and importance of the song at UT. Recruiting will be fine after all this blows over. 

How dare they