Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

It’s sounding like almost no Longhorns even knew The Eyes was going to be played, as the band wasn’t there & many walked off as OU’s Alma mater was being played over the speakers. Sam and some other players stayed behind on the field for interviews. So the “abondoning their leader” narrative doesn’t really hold much water. Just shitty communication & misalignment is the bigger culprit. Imagine that. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

And anyway the simple solution is to have the individual teams take a vote. Either all stay out for it or all go inside the locker room as a team. No exceptions. Majority vote decides it. 

Edited by JMFP

6 hours ago, Helobious said:

It’s sounding like almost no Longhorns even knew The Eyes was going to be played, as the band wasn’t there & many walked off as OU’s Alma mater was being played over the speakers. Sam and some other players stayed behind on the field for interviews. So the “abondoning their leader” narrative doesn’t really hold much water. Just shitty communication & misalignment is the bigger culprit. Imagine that. 

These players have participated in 3 games without the band present coming into this game. They’ve participated in multiple Texas/ousux games. They know how the postgame goes, ESPECIALLY after a loss. 

this excuse is a cop out imo. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

These players have participated in 3 games without the band present coming into this game. They’ve participated in multiple Texas/ousux games. They know how the postgame goes, ESPECIALLY after a loss. 

this excuse is a cop out imo. 

They’ve never been to ousux without the band. Also wasn’t the eyes not played after the Tech game? I almost think it has to be the case. Unless you think every single player, even all the walk-ons, said fuck the eyes. That makes no sense. 

11 minutes ago, Helobious said:

They’ve never been to ousux without the band. Also wasn’t the eyes not played after the Tech game? I almost think it has to be the case. Unless you think every single player, even all the walk-ons, said fuck the eyes. That makes no sense. 

I think every single player lacks discipline from the head coach down to the shittiest walk on so nothing about their behavior surprises me. 

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Making sense isn't what we're about here. We're about virtue signaling how tough we are and how weak and pathetic our players are.

1600.jpg?width=1200&height=1200&quality=

For the next home game, whether it be Baylor or someone else, all the players are going to be out there post-game.   Whether those not in favor of doing so just choose to stand, or kneel, or raise a fist, or turn their back, or whatever, will be the next piece of this saga.   

This thing has taken on a life of its own and it's not ending anytime soon. 

Lemme see if I got this straight: student athletes petition not to have to stay for The Eyes due to its tenuous racist origin. The University says fine, whatever, stay or go, we don’t care, but we’ll keep playing The Eyes. After the OU game the entire roster goes to the locker room except for Sam. BMDs see that and get pissed off and withdraw millions of dollars in donations. CDC announces that the players will be staying for The Eyes after games. The end.

Did I get it right?

10 hours ago, Cajun said:

Yep, that's me, Colonel Reb.   You nailed me.

lulz

Now run along and come up with the next thing you're all of the sudden offended by.  The drama queens are counting on ya.

OK Snowflake.  ^(cries about tradition, call others dramatic)

14 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Lemme see if I got this straight: student athletes petition not to have to stay for The Eyes due to its tenuous racist origin. The University says fine, whatever, stay or go, we don’t care, but we’ll keep playing The Eyes. After the OU game the entire roster goes to the locker room except for Sam. BMDs see that and get pissed off and withdraw millions of dollars in donations. CDC announces that the players will be staying for The Eyes after games. The end.

Did I get it right?

No. Read any of the articles posted multiple times yesterday with multiple other head coaches confirming this is not in fact how it happened, Chip Brown’s specifically.

9 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m not sure I would have ever graduated from the University of Texas if it wasn’t for the Eyes of Texas. I moved to Texas in 1990 when I was 12 years old. We were major sports fans, and my dads one indulgence when I was young and we were poor was his SF 49ers season tickets- he has 2 tickets, $25.00 per seat, times 10 home games (with preseason) for a smooth $500.00 a year (or roughly 2% of his yearly income as a bread truck driver). He’d sell the playoff tickets to try to recoup as much of his season ticket bill as possible. But sports were what we did for entertainment- and it was all pretty much professional leagues. 
When we moved to Texas it was explained to us that college sports was a big ducking deal and you had to choose between Texas or Texas A and M. Dad had a friend who had a son who went to UT at the time, and is a prolific poster on this site though I don’t know him particularly well personally. His friend took us over to a UT game in 1990 at night against Colorado. The game was thrilling as I remember it (like 28-27 loss or something like that) but it was a night game, it was loud, and everyone stayed to the end. The stadium was packed and I remember thinking that watching 80,000 people singing together, and the horns coming at you from the other side of the stadium at the end of the song, was one of the coolest things ever. 
It made me decide that if I was going to school in this state it was going to be at UT. UT was the only state school I applied to, and when I got a full ride for tuition, fees, books, housing etc that was the school I decided to attend. 
Would I have made that same decision without the eyes and having that marked as such a special occasion for 12 year old me that UT was the school I was going to root for?  I don’t know- but it sure stuck with me and caused me to find out what a great place the University was/is. 
I feel not mad, but sad, that this first bond I formed with the school I loved and shaped so much of my life isn’t shared by everyone right now. Prior to this year I would have thought that bond was almost universal. Now that spirit of unity has been destroyed and there is absolutely nothing that could be cooked up to replace it.

I feel sad everyone doesn’t feel like me. Not mad. Not their fault- not blaming- but definitely sad. 2020 has sucked in so many ways. There’s a lot of shit in our past that we need to understand and deal with, together, but I don’t see how losing points of commonality will make us a better community. This whole thing sucks. 

First, it seems to me you enjoy the fan/player unity at the end of the game over the actual song.  

I am guessing some of the African American players/fans who see the connection with "The Eyes of the South" and the history of the minstrel shows, also feel sad that their school and alumni are interested in preserving a tradition that causes them emotional pain as opposed to keeping the good part and doing away with another.   But as long as YOU don't feel sad.....

Oh, and I didn't go to Texas because of football or a song, but rather I went there for a program.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

52 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I think you’re confused about the meaning of virtue signaling, Karen. 

Virtue Signaling - the action or practice of publicly expressing opinions or sentiments intended to demonstrate one's good character or the moral correctness of one's position on a particular issue.

I'm using it 100% correctly.

9 minutes ago, Nivek said:

First, it seems to me you enjoy the fan/player unity at the end of the game over the actual song.  

I am guessing some of the African American players/fans who see the connection with "The Eyes of the South" and the history of the minstrel shows, also feel sad that their school and alumni are interested in preserving a tradition that causes them emotional pain as opposed to keeping the good part and doing away with another.   But as long as YOU don't feel sad.....

Oh, and I didn't go to Texas because of football or a song, but rather I went there for a program.  

The administration gave into EVERY demand they wanted except the eyes. I say that is a win for the players. 

What the song was isn’t what the song is. Don’t be an obtuse bitch for the sake of being a bitch. 

read chips article. The expectations were set and given to all coaches. Only one coach has failed to meet those expectations. those expectations date back to before the season started. 

However you want to frame the end of the Oklahoma game and etc but perception is reality among the power broker alumni that supply the funds for these players to have the facilities, training staff, amenities, and etc that the players have. 

It even states from coaches words themselves that players DONT have to sing throw up hook em or participate. They just have to be on the field to show the equal respect to the fans and the university showed in granting them all their wishes.

this is a failure by the head coach of the football team and his team  specifically 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

8 minutes ago, Nivek said:

That’s not at all what I said- almost like you are being intentionally obtuse. I said I’m sad that the song doesn’t make them feel that way and I’m not blaming them for that. 

2 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

That’s a lot of emotion for something they weren’t aware of 12 months ago 

Is there "a  lot of emotion" going on? I haven't read anything demonstrating fighting in the locker room over it and I haven't read anything on social media about players freaking out. The players themselves are basically radio silent on social media about it, which is remarkable given their age.

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Is there "a  lot of emotion" going on? I haven't read anything demonstrating fighting in the locker room over it and I haven't read anything on social media about players freaking out. The players themselves are basically radio silent on social media about it, which is remarkable given their age.

“Real longhorn fans we see you”

17 hours ago, jinx said:

I haven't heard many of their opinions, but I know that Bucky Godbolt and Rod Babers are in favor of keeping the song.  Both seem pretty strong in their support as a matter of fact, although Rod has expressed some reservations and noted that he knew the origin as a player.  Bucky called the players out pretty hard Monday morning.

There is no way this gets resolved long term without some kind of a compromise that requires thinking outside of the Box.   Rod had the best idea I've heard over the summer (rename student section the Julius Whittier student section and have the players sing directly to that Section (with an announcement of that at the game).  Maybe that's not the answer but something like that (that the players accept) is the only way to resolve this.   I've yet to hear if Rod's idea was ever floated to the administration or the players.  Anyone else?

1 minute ago, maninblack said:

Nothing will ever be good enough. No concession. Don't like the song because you're incapable of critical thought then go to another University.

Yep, it will never end.

Drama queens only crave one thing - ,more drama.

Just ask Nivek.  The Tyrone Biggums of faux outrage.

Can someone demonstrate some kind of objective example of them being "drama queens"?

BOW alluded to a social media post but, for some reason that makes sense only to him, won't source it. Nor will he source any others. Nor will anyone else.

Meanwhile, we have 104 pages in this thread alone, much of which is grown men having a contest amongst themselves to see who can hate the players the most and scream the loudest about their many personal virtues. I think the true drama queen side of this is pretty clear.

Looked at Overshown's Twitter and he's a picture of modest, rational centrism compared to the bloodsport from his detractors in this thread.

These young men are under a barrage of outright racism from their own fanbase due to the terrible leadership of the millionaires above them. CDC and Tom Herman don't care about how these players are treated and neither do these supposedly-loyal-and-upright alumni.

BOW didn't link it directly because even he realizes how much more mature, hard-working, and focused even Overshown (the supposed SJW demon of the group) is than basically every poster here.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 hours ago, Helobious said:

And that's on Herman.   He is well aware of what a hot button issue this is.   If he paid any attention to detail whatsoever he would have told staff to keep the players on the field.  Maybe Sterns and Mitchell still run off but I'm betting most would have stayed.   Whether it's football or optics Herman is just a god damn disaster.  Again, I was ready for Mack to go as much as anyone but this shit show NEVER happens under his leadership.  

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

BOW didn't link it directly because even he realizes how much more mature, hard-working, and focused even Overshown (the supposed SJW demon of the group) is than basically every poster here.

From team sources that would know Overshown is a good dude.   If anyone is painting him as the "SJW Demon" they are wrong.  There are definitely some that aren't about football and are an issue but not him

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah I see nothing but good things from him.

I'm being told these guys are drama queens making a scene and trying to get attention and I'm just wondering where I can find that happening.

I've seen Caden Sterns mentioned as a problem and...

Someone point me in the right direction. Where is this melodrama I'm supposed to be seeing?

The point is our players are too busy tweeting about social issues during the season instead of doing film work, preparation, and etc. 

I like how ol bad teammate responds immediately to a quote but disappears for a hour to go investigate Twitter to figure out where the quote came from and formulate his new talking points  to shape his shit narrative  

Quan said it best yesterday that essentially these players need to stay off social media and focus on football right now. In their current season performance they need to give every second they have to figuring out how to be better. 

Najee Harris last tweet about social issues was before their season started. Same with Trevor Lawrence. Our players are too concerned with shit outside of football than what they’re at the university of Texas to do especially during the season. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The point is our players are too busy tweeting about social issues during the season instead of doing film work, preparation, and etc. 

Do you have evidence of this? Because honestly it just seems like you're lying about the players because you are angry at their beliefs and you're so invested in your position that evidence and reason no longer factor in.

I like how ol bad teammate responds immediately to a quote but disappears for a hour to go investigate Twitter to figure out where the quote came from and formulate his new talking points  to shape his shit narrative  

I'm looking for evidence for your argument. If you provided some I wouldn't have to search for it.

Texas volleyball players are tweeting about social justice causes and they are undefeated. Asjia O'Neal's feed alone puts every football player's to shame (as far as I've seen, please show me otherwise).

I've been scrolling around different athletes to try to figure out what the hell you're talking about and I don't see it.

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

These young men are under a barrage of outright racism from their own fanbase due to the terrible leadership of the millionaires above them. CDC and Tom Herman don't care about how these players are treated and neither do these supposedly-loyal-and-upright alumni.

This is a lie. Comments like this and people like you are definitely a part of the problem. Stop it. You're being a child.

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just now, Tex Pete said:

This is a lie. Comments like this and people like you are definitely a part of the problem. Stop it. You're being a child.

They aren't learning they are the targets of racism from their own fanbase from me, they have eyes and can read.

You can pretend racism is a myth, but it's not and our players aren't too dumb to read.

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

They aren't learning they are the targets of racism from their own fanbase from me, they have eyes and can read.

You can pretend racism is a myth, but it's not and our players aren't too dumb to read.

A difference of opinion regarding a song does not make people racist. Your shit line of thinking is a bigger issue. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

A difference of opinion regarding a song does not make people racist.

Not everyone who disagrees with the players is racist. Many of our fans have been hurling racist criticism and attack at them since the day of the OU game.

Do you disagree with either of those statements?

Edited by bad_teammate