Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

6 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Not everyone who disagrees with the players is racist. But many of our fans have been hurling racist criticism and attack at them since the day of the OU game.

Do you disagree with either of those statements?

Show me evidence of many racist criticisms.

• Hook 'Em 1

Overshown himself RTs a clear example.
"The only thing most of our players get pissed about is when cops kill criminal thugs."

Now the obvious racism here is the characterization of all victims of officer violence as "criminal thugs", but that's not even what I'd point out because that's too easy and it's not directed specifically to the players. The racist attack on our players in that statement is the allegation that this highly racialized complaint is "the only thing" our players care about. This is a racist mischaracterizatioin of our players.

If you want more examples, you need only look at the initial thread here that had to be locked because posters here were saying our players were destined for lives of criminality if it wasn't for their scholarships.

Song Karen's argument regarding the harmlessness of The Eyes would be a lot more compelling if she didn't also pretend racism was fake.

39 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The point is our players are too busy tweeting about social issues during the season instead of doing film work, preparation, and etc. 

This is such a colossally stupid take. It's fine to have a different opinion on the song but these players twitter feeds have fuck-all to do with their film work, preparation, and results on the field. Every program in the country from the top five powerhouses to the bottom feeders have players on social media. Our team sucks because of lack of talent, no development, and bad game plans. 

You have almost 3K posts on this site. God knows how many posts on this thread alone in the past couple days, all weekdays. Can I assume you are slipping in your professional and personal life because of your passionate online crusade? Nah, I bet you are doing fine. You don't actually give a shit that they are tweeting, you just don't like what they are tweeting. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

You can support the university while not singing the Eyes of Texas. You can also support the university while fighting for change.

So no middle ground in your mind.  Got it.

For me, the players staying for the EOT to support the fans, alumni, and THE UNIVERSITY is not a big ask.  

Ricky and Earl along with many others agree with keeping EOT.  Ricky Williams quote:   "I think it's important to understand our history and to understand where the song came from, but I think it's more powerful to transform the meaning of the song and the definition of the song rather than trying to erase our history like it never existed.”

You talk about change.  Agreeing to just give in to Cancel Culture that is misdirected is not change -- it's flat out wrong. 

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Virtue Signaling - the action or practice of publicly expressing opinions or sentiments intended to demonstrate one's good character or the moral correctness of one's position on a particular issue.

I'm using it 100% correctly.

No, you aren't, but not surprising you would think that given you've spent enough time in the CR to get 7,000 rep here. Especially hilarious that you present the definition and still think you are using the term correctly.

Calling the players soft, entitled, primadonnas (or whatever the flavor of the month is) is not an attempt to demonstrate good character or moral correctness - it is in fact the opposite - taking a position regardless of the perceived character or morality that position represents because it is the truth and not something that whoever said it is willing to apologize for. 

Statements are either accurate/true or they aren't. That has nothing to do with the character or morality of the person making that statement. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

This is such a colossally stupid take. It's fine to have a different opinion on the song but these players twitter feeds have fuck-all to do with their film work, preparation, and results on the field. Every program in the country from the top five powerhouses to the bottom feeders have players on social media. Our team sucks because of lack of talent, no development, and bad game plans. 

You have almost 3K posts on this site. God knows how many posts on this thread alone in the past couple days, all weekdays. Can I assume you are slipping in your professional and personal life because of your passionate online crusade? Nah, I bet you are doing fine. You don't actually give a shit that they are tweeting, you just don't like what they are tweeting. 

I cited two of the premiere players in the country have stopped tweeting stuff about social injustices once their respective season started. Yet our guys are still retweeting social justice stuff. It shows you exactly where their heads are vs our guys heads. 

I like that you feel so deeply involved you try to figure out my personal life as that has any relevance to your argument. And bringing up post count is the ultimate fail in terms of message board comebacks. Quite sad.  

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

They aren't learning they are the targets of racism from their own fanbase from me, they have eyes and can read.

You can pretend racism is a myth, but it's not and our players aren't too dumb to read.

Who said this? Why are you so intellectually dishonest? I am staunchly anti-racism and believe it has no place in society.

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Overshown himself RTs a clear example.
"The only thing most of our players get pissed about is when cops kill criminal thugs."

Now the obvious racism here is the characterization of all victims of officer violence as "criminal thugs", but that's not even what I'd point out because that's too easy and it's not directed specifically to the players. The racist attack on our players in that statement is the allegation that this highly racialized complaint is "the only thing" our players care about. This is a racist mischaracterizatioin of our players.

If you want more examples, you need only look at the initial thread here that had to be locked because posters here were saying our players were destined for lives of criminality if it wasn't for their scholarships.

Song Karen's argument regarding the harmlessness of The Eyes would be a lot more compelling if she didn't also pretend racism was fake.

TBF that one OB poster was totally right about Guy Lewis

8 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Who said this? Why are you so intellectually dishonest? I am staunchly anti-racism and believe it has no place in society.

Intellectual dishonesty is the hallmark of discussion in the cloak room. When the CR posters venture out if their echos chamber into the rest of the world, the reaction they get from others is very similar to your reaction. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I like that you feel so deeply involved you try to figure out my personal life as that has any relevance to your argument. Quite sad.

This is really funny. Read what I said again, I'm not trying to figure out anything about your personal life. You have an online presence here and you passionately argue for something that clearly care a great deal about. I make no assumptions that you are completely fucking up the other areas of your life because of that. You are unable to do the same towards those players who say things you don't agree with.  

21 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Talent isn’t the issue guy. 

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

coaching

LACK OF DISCIPLINE 

are the two biggest issue. 

Now do the OL. 

Edited by UncleSonny

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Calling the players soft, entitled, primadonnas (or whatever the flavor of the month is) is not an attempt to demonstrate good character or moral correctness - it is in fact the opposite - taking a position regardless of the perceived character or morality that position represents because it is the truth and not something that whoever said it is willing to apologize for.

But what if it's not actually true?

The reality is that the players are working extremely hard (they are more physically fit than any of us have ever been and are better at their sport than we have ever been, they attend their practices and meetings and their play isn't necessarily marked by a complete ignorance of how football works). They aren't making waves on social media. They aren't doing after-game interviews where they make a divisive show of themselves. They're hard-working and disciplined.

Not just that, why are so many of the critical posts filled with posters talking about what THEY would do and what THEY feel. "I am better than them!" is a constant theme, which is the virtue signaling.

Statements are either accurate/true or they aren't. That has nothing to do with the character or morality of the person making that statement. 

If I lie about someone else's character while promoting my own, that is virtue signaling.

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I cited two of the premiere players in the country have stopped tweeting stuff about social injustices once their respective season started. Yet our guys are still retweeting social justice stuff. It shows you exactly where their heads are vs our guys heads.

Our undefeated, #1 in the nation, volleyball team is Tweeting more about social justice than the football team.

4 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Do you think the post Overshown RT'd and I explained above is racist?

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

coaching

LACK OF DISCIPLINE 

are the two biggest issue.

The coach is the problem, not the extremely mild Twitter presences of the players.

You're focused on that like a pitbull anyway because of the politics involved and you're deranged by those political disputes.

Being physically fit and being tough are not the same thing. Overshown going over and talking shit to an OU player when a pass sailed out of bounds and he had nothing to do with defending the play only to miss a tackle right at the line of scrimmage is the behavior that most are referring to. Or Chris Brown flexing his muscles when he made a tackle 20 yards downfield that resulted in a first down is another bitchass behavior example that permeates this team. 

Whether that kind of behavior was already instilled in the psyche of the player before they got here or they are emulating the culture created by the coach is for debate but what is clear are obvious signs of mentally weak, me first attitudes in several (not all) players on the team. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

You're focused on that like a pitbull anyway because of the politics involved and you're deranged by those political disputes.

michael jordan laughing GIF

Nah, I'm one of the ones trying to discuss the football aspect. You're the one only wanting to discuss politics. Maybe check what board we're on.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Do you think the post Overshown RT'd and I explained above is racist?

I asked you "who said racism is a myth?" I don't believe it's a myth, and I haven't seen a single other person on this thread claim it's a myth. 

That's the problem: you are misrepresenting everything being said here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

Not everyone who disagrees with the players is racist. Many of our fans have been hurling racist criticism and attack at them since the day of the OU game.

Do you disagree with either of those statements?

Mean old Texas fan hurling racist slurs left and right at the players since OU?

What a joke.   I would love to see the evidence.  

• Haha 1

I would encourage everyone in this thread to read today’s Humidor posted by RGBIII in the FTH thread.

TLDR: reports that players didn’t realize The Eyes would be played and went into the locker room. Sam stuck around for interviews, then they started playing it over the PA system and he stopped to sing it. This was not a conscious walk-off in protest, most players don’t mind at least standing there for The Eyes, there is a lot of unity in the locker room, and they respect the fans who want to keep the tradition. 

Hopefully this can cool down both sides on here about how much to read into the incident, and to redirect their anger at the incompetence of Tom Herman who failed to communicate to his team what would happen after the game, and to the public what really happened as this story was raging out of control all week. 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, Nivek said:

Tell em Colonel Reb!  That flag is all about your identity not racism.  ahem....

I'll just be hangin' with my fellow Colonel Rebs brah.  Or wait, do you call one Colonel Reb and the other Uncle Tom?  Which one is which?  Tell us your wokeness -

iu-1.jpeg

iu-2.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I agree everyone should chill, but I'll pass on taking anything Geoff Ketchum says as fact.

Fair, but he throws Herman under the bus and highlights his incompetence as a leader as the reason for the confusion which I think given what we’ve seen of him is probably the most likely story.

11 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

... another bitchass behavior example that permeates this team. 

Whether that kind of behavior was already instilled in the psyche of the player before they got here or they are emulating the culture created by the coach is for debate but what is clear are obvious signs of mentally weak, me first attitudes in several (not all) players on the team. 

This happens all the time, even on successful teams and it's overlooked because of winning. The 2005 NC team was full of questionable decisions and questionable attitudes and on-the-field actions. You guys act like championship teams are always lunchpail by-the-book guys and it's often the exact opposite.

3 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I asked you "who said racism is a myth?" I don't believe it's a myth, and I haven't seen a single other person on this thread claim it's a myth. 

That's the problem: you are misrepresenting everything being said here.

So you don't think that post is racist? Simple question.

I'm trying to figure out if you're someone who thinks racism is terrible but also doesn't really think anything is ever racist. A perfect example of that attitude is Knighthawk just now recasting "racist" as "racial slurs", as if dropping an n-bomb on someone is the only way to actually be racist.

You might be like him or not, that's why I'm asking.

3 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

TLDR: reports that players didn’t realize The Eyes would be played and went into the locker room. Sam stuck around for interviews, then they started playing it over the PA system and he stopped to sing it. This was not a conscious walk-off in protest, most players don’t mind at least standing there for The Eyes, there is a lot of unity in the locker room, and they respect the fans who want to keep the tradition. 

Hopefully this can cool down both sides on here about how much to read into the incident, and to redirect their anger at the incompetence of Tom Herman who failed to communicate to his team what would happen after the game, and to the public what really happened as this story was raging out of control all week. 

A) "OUR PLAYERS ARE WEAK, UNGRATEFUL SCUM WHO SHOULD LEAVE THE UNIVERSITY! THEY WOULD BE CRIMINAL THUGS WITHOUT US!"

B) "No they're not."

Hey hey hey both of you calm down!

• Fuck You 7

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

This happens all the time, even on successful teams and it's overlooked because of winning. The 2005 NC team was full of questionable decisions and questionable attitudes and on-the-field actions. You guys act like championship teams are always lunchpail by-the-book guys and it's often the exact opposite.

Factually incorrect. You are simply making shit up to support your position. I challenge you to find examples of Texas players on the 2005 team celebrating after surrendering a 3rd and long. 

I'm straight calling you out for making up data points. Post your evidence. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

I would encourage everyone in this thread to read today’s Humidor posted by RGBIII in the FTH thread.

Every game I've ever watched they play the Eyes and the players gather, win or lose, and hold their horns up.

They've made it crystal clear with dumbass social media posts that a large portion of them don't respect the University or give a fuck about the team. They just cemented the obvious by leaving Sam out there. Excuses are like assholes man.

Anyway:

On 10/11/2020 at 3:53 PM, Hagbard Celine said:

Before you read my post below, if you are sincerely interested in a critique of your opinion, i urge you to read the wiki for Post hoc, ergo propter hoc:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_hoc_ergo_propter_hoc

126 years ago, the lyrics to a folk song were transcribed for the first time at Princeton.  10 years later, 2 leaders in our student government kept the music and changed the lyrics to taunt and mock the then-current leader of The University.  The song was unfortunately performed for the first time at a Minstrel Show.  And it may have been performed in blackface.  Over the following 116 years the song was sung out loud by millions of voices, none of whom ever believed they were singing a "racist" song "celebrating" "racial" anything.  Then 115 years later, Minneapolis cops killed murdered George Floyd, and African Americans attending The University (with no outside influence?) were told, decided, or became 'woke' to their belief/opinion regarding the intent and meaning of the song, which said opinion is not shared by a massive (MASSIVE) percentage of former alumni who, regardless of race, creed, color, or class, have the intelligence to see the false association between intent of the song, and the location and setting of the first performance of the song.  And, understandably, this cohort is pissed off that a piece of their lives has been warrior-ed away from them at a time when stupidity is rampant in the program, and not just in and around this topic.

The intent of the song is not racist.

It's origins are not racist.

Because it debuted at a minstrel show, you INSIST that it's origins are in minstrelsy.  The debut of the Texas version of the song at a minstrel event does not make the song racist just because you say it does.  The music was not composed for a racist cause or with racist intent.  The lyrics to the Texas version of the song were not composed for a racist cause or with racist intent.

There is zero historical evidence that the music or lyrics of the folk version or the Texas version are racist.  You can write a billion gigs of woke rant and it won't change the fact that there is zero historical evidence that the song itself is racist in any way shape or form, an ugly fact which will not be downed.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

And let me add that all of this is magnified on all sides because we fucking suck and our season has gone to complete shit.

spacer.png

This is 100% true and kind of my point. The fan base is pissed and insanely divided right now. Maybe we should be united against the actual cause of our frustration (Tom Herman) and stop tilting at windmills like whether our players are tweeting a BLM hashtag or not.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Tex Pete said:

Are you slow? I said nothing about that post. I said no one here thinks racism is a myth. You are asking me to defend an argument I never made. What the fuck?

I think its best at this point to put this guy on ignore. He is resorting to simply lying at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

Factually incorrect. You are simply making shit up to support your position. I challenge you to find examples of Texas players on the 2005 team celebrating after surrendering a 3rd and long. 

I'm straight calling you out for making up data points. Post your evidence. 

1 minute ago, Tex Pete said:

Are you slow? I said nothing about that post. I said no one here thinks racism is a myth. You are asking me to defend an argument I never made. What the fuck?

There's a reason he's not good teammate, he will turn every thread into a CR thread.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I didn't ask you to defend it, I asked you whether or not you thought it was racist.

If you want to defend it you can, but I'm not asking you to.

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I challenge you to find examples of Texas players on the 2005 team celebrating after surrendering a 3rd and long.

That's extremely specific lol

The team had good-enough coaching and a once-in-a-decade+ talent that papered over off-the-field shenanigans, academic issues, poor practice habits, and outright criminal behavior. Not wishing to air dirty laundry and name names, but it would be really strange if you denied this kind of thing.

Your characterization of the on-the-field behavior as "bitchass" or whatever is 100% a result of them losing. If the 2005 team started losing you would call all the behaviors I alluded to above evidence of "bitchassedness". It's not about the behaviors themselves, but the scoreboard.

• Fuck You 5

9 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

So you don't think that post is racist? Simple question.

I'm trying to figure out if you're someone who thinks racism is terrible but also doesn't really think anything is ever racist. A perfect example of that attitude is Knighthawk just now recasting "racist" as "racial slurs", as if dropping an n-bomb on someone is the only way to actually be racist.

You might be like him or not, that's why I'm asking.

A) "OUR PLAYERS ARE WEAK, UNGRATEFUL SCUM WHO SHOULD LEAVE THE UNIVERSITY! THEY WOULD BE CRIMINAL THUGS WITHOUT US!"

B) "No they're not."

Hey hey hey both of you calm down!

It puts the lie to the contention your side of this issue has made that all the players except Sam were united against The Eyes by walking off the field.

The report also indicates that the players don’t consider being told to stand for The Eyes to be an oppression similar to having Bull Conner’s dogs set upon them, as some have intimated. 

Just now, Duane Moore said:

It puts the lie to the contention your side of this issue has made that all the players except Sam were united against The Eyes by walking off the field.

Sure, but I still don't understand what the calming down would entail since I (and my side) have no negative feelings for players regardless of their choices regarding The Eyes. Stay and sing, sing, leave and sing, leave.  Whatever.

The amount of hate projected at Sam for staying for The Eyes has been... zero. That "side" was calm the entire time and was respectful of all players from the beginning.

The report also indicates that the players don’t consider being told to stand for The Eyes to be an oppression similar to having Bull Conner’s dogs set upon them, as some have intimated. 

None have intimated that.

Also, "the players" speaks to some kind of uniformity of thought when that clearly isn't the case.

• Fuck You 2

10 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I didn't ask you to defend it, I asked you whether or not you thought it was racist.

If you want to defend it you can, but I'm not asking you to.

That's extremely specific lol

The team had good-enough coaching and a once-in-a-decade+ talent that papered over off-the-field shenanigans, academic issues, poor practice habits, and outright criminal behavior. Not wishing to air dirty laundry and name names, but it would be really strange if you denied this kind of thing.

Your characterization of the on-the-field behavior as "bitchass" or whatever is 100% a result of them losing. If the 2005 team started losing you would call all the behaviors I alluded to above evidence of "bitchassedness". It's not about the behaviors themselves, but the scoreboard.

Provide examples of the 2005 team acting like mentally weak bitches on the field. Stop changing the goal posts by mentioning off the field issues. Back up your statement with examples of the kind of behavior on the field. 

But you won’t be able to because you are a dishonest poster who likes to make up arguments and positions or change the goal posts when called out. 

Im calling you out. Provide examples or admit you made that shit up. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Why is everyone responding to these race-baiting, cunt trolls

It's actually kinda funny.  The past umpteen pages are nothing but B_T longcat stupidity and Dennison saying basically the same thing over and over and over.  The only other content is people replying to them.  Utilize the ignore function.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

The 2005 NC team was full of questionable decisions and questionable attitudes and on-the-field actions.

You're trying really hard to contend for worst poster on this site. You might get there if you keep at it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Also, "the players" speaks to some kind of uniformity of thought when that clearly isn't the case.

There are some players that do not prioritize winning.  That is from a source I trust. I mean could you not read between the lines when Sam politely called his teammates out before the OU game?  Of course, the fact that we have a massive 'culture' problem on this team speaks volumes about Tom Herman.   

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

academic issues, poor practice habits, and outright criminal behavior.

Hang on, who's being racist here? 

Anyway, that's enough of this shit for today. I'll add to my ignore list and move on. Sorry for taking the bait. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Sure, but I still don't understand what the calming down would entail since I (and my side) have no negative feelings for players regardless of their choices regarding The Eyes. Stay and sing, sing, leave and sing, leave.  Whatever.

The amount of hate projected at Sam for staying for The Eyes has been... zero. That "side" was calm the entire time and was respectful of all players from the beginning.

None have intimated that.

I can’t break down quotes, but on the first one, your goading of the Pro-Eyes side by saying the team was unified against the song is not helping take down the temperature. 

The second point was hyperbole, of course, but there have been a lot of “An old white man telling a bunch of young black men they have to shut up and stand for a song they find offensive - I’m sure that will go real well,” posts this week. 

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The point is our players are too busy tweeting about social issues during the season instead of doing film work, preparation, and etc. 

I like how ol bad teammate responds immediately to a quote but disappears for a hour to go investigate Twitter to figure out where the quote came from and formulate his new talking points  to shape his shit narrative  

Quan said it best yesterday that essentially these players need to stay off social media and focus on football right now. In their current season performance they need to give every second they have to figuring out how to be better. 

Najee Harris last tweet about social issues was before their season started. Same with Trevor Lawrence. Our players are too concerned with shit outside of football than what they’re at the university of Texas to do especially during the season. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

We aren’t allowed to multi task?  

And apparently the players aren't either.  

• Haha 1