Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

17 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Let’s be fair to Master P, dude is a good businessman that’s still worth 200+ million. 

He's a hustler and i'm certain he has a few mil in the bank but after hearing that number above tossed around a few months back i'd bet dollars to donuts it is less than a fifth of that.  He strikes me as a fake it til you make it type.    

2 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

He's a hustler and i'm certain he has a few mil in the bank but after hearing that number above tossed around a few months back i'd bet dollars to donuts it is less than a fifth of that.  He strikes me as a fake it til you make it type.    

You should do research before spilling dumb shit from your fingertips. 

5 hours ago, Zeus said:

He makes some good points and has some interesting observations.  But he doesn't really offer a solution.  And he doesn't change the analysis from:

We have a shitty program and culture because Mack lost the thread, the culture went to shit, and we made two bad hires.

The culture sucks because we've had 10 years of shit coaching.  Period.

The programs he talks about as having winning cultures have winning coaches and have had winning coaches for an extended period of time.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You should do research before spilling dumb shit from your fingertips. 

Oh, i did.  The guy trying to make money off of the BLm movement by replacing Aunt Jemima.  I'm aware of his "great" ideas.

Edited by RollLeft

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

- The lyrics are directly connected to a maxim from Robert E Lee (quoting someone who adapted Lee's words to Texas specifically).
- The song was originally sung at a minstrel show.

These aren't lies. And those who historically-established facts make it reasonable for black Longhorns to be uncomfortable with the song.

I don't think that is very reasonable. Those are things that are adjacent to the song, not directly concerning the context the song is currently used or its content.

There are hundreds and thousands of song sung at minstrel shows, I was not aware we were supposed to stop singing all of them.

Besides Lee is one of those guys like Napoleon and Churchill who just suck in quotes. There are dozens and dozens of quotes supposedly said by Lee. Are we even sure he actually ever said that? And even if he did what real difference does it make? Surely a quote is bad by its content not by its speaker.

But I don't really need to be convinced by its reasonableness. The fact of the matter is it no longer functions are a good school song. I don't know if it can ever go back to how it was before. Ah well.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, JohnLocke said:

Wow, this thread said all it had to say a long time ago. I'm surprised it's still going.

It is relevent again due to the team leaving Sam Ehlinger alone on the field after the OU game, despite supposedly pretending he is their leader or something.

Also the team is garbage, which tends to make things that were completed suddenly be not completed anymore.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Oh, i did.  The guy trying to make money off of the BLm movement by replacing Aunt Jemima.  I'm aware of his "great" ideas.

LMAO Master P made it 20+ years ago (and made it possible for a lot of independent rap record labels to make it) and expanded his empire to a number of money making ventures. He capitalized on CDs when they were cheap and popular and moved that money into movies and sports and a whole bunch of other money making ventures. His rapping was ok, but his business moves are legit. 

1 hour ago, RollLeft said:

fify

I mean if you want to go that far we should just shut the University down. That goes much much farther than the school song, which refers to none of those aspects either in its lyrics or music.

But anyway it is what it is.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

He makes some good points and has some interesting observations.  But he doesn't really offer a solution.  And he doesn't change the analysis from:

We have a shitty program and culture because Mack lost the thread, the culture went to shit, and we made two bad hires.

The culture sucks because we've had 10 years of shit coaching.  Period.

The programs he talks about as having winning cultures have winning coaches and have had winning coaches for an extended period of time.

I think the solution is obvious. Fire Tom Herman now. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Let’s be fair to Master P, dude is a good businessman that’s still worth 200+ million. 

and he managed to put his son on the trojan basketball team when he couldnt score 10 points as a high school senior

9 hours ago, RollLeft said:

Why is this even being brought up?  No one is still arguing that players "must" do it.  It was decided a month ago.  You don't want to sing The Eyes, don't.  It isn't new that were former players that that didn't give a damn about the song or university.  Lovell Pinkney for example.  Hadnot was another.  Tony Brackens just didn't care about anyone.  I'm certain there were many more we would struggle to remember that to this day give little regard to the university.  To them we were a stepping stone.  Hell there are former players that don't even remember all of their team mates over their four years.    Didn't Jermichael Finley go in early a few times.  Some dudes just never cared.  So what?  No fans did anything of consequence in response.  18-22 year olds gonna 18-22 year old.  Even the best of them went out and made wise decisions like hiring Master P as their agent.  As much as we love them it doesn't mean they always know what is best for themselves, much less the University.  

So you're saying some ex-players are trash, exploited UT and do not care about UT, and that UT and its fans are totally awesome, altruistic, don't exploit players and care so much for all of the players and ex-players? And the players are clueless about their own interests and never have a clue about anything because they are 18-22? Got it. Well researched, fact based POV.  We learned a lot here.  One question - How many of these players that you speak about, do you actually know?

• Fuck You 1

10 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

I do realize that. Perhaps you will realize that there is a difference between having a dialogue on how to change a culture and taking dictation like a hostage negotiator. This issue was supposedly put to bed after meetings with the administration. The players are entitled to their opinion. I am entitled to mine. If the goal is to have unity, the “submit or else” tactic isn’t effective. Many positive compromises were made to address legit concerns. You can take up for black people/players and call detractors racist all you want. Up until a few months ago, supporting the EoT wasn’t even a controversial issue. Go ring your “shame” bell somewhere else.

Who is being asked to "submit"? Please answer this question.

9 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

If you think telling alums and donors to “fuck off” will fix the problem, you’re extremely naive, at best. 

The alumni and donors will stop caring once we win. This is all a distraction from losing because it triggers certain attitudes within certain alumni.

9 hours ago, Knighthawk said:

Well given the shit music that is played pregame and during the game that is clearly offensive and oppressive to women, gays, and other diversity groups, I find the lack of player protest for that music quite telling. 

What it SHOULD tell you is that the players aren't actual woke leftist SJWs at all. The collective refusal to acknowledge this by people who live in a perpetual emotional war with leftist woke SJW mind demons makes it impossible to have a rational conversation.

The players are not triggered SJW snowflakes. They're a bunch of black guys who care about black issues specifically.

9 hours ago, RollLeft said:

Why is this even being brought up?  No one is still arguing that players "must" do it.  It was decided a month ago.  You don't want to sing The Eyes, don't.  It isn't new that were former players that that didn't give a damn about the song or university.  Lovell Pinkney for example.  Hadnot was another.  Tony Brackens just didn't care about anyone.  I'm certain there were many more we would struggle to remember that to this day give little regard to the university.  To them we were a stepping stone.  Hell there are former players that don't even remember all of their team mates over their four years.    Didn't Jermichael Finley go in early a few times.  Some dudes just never cared.  So what?  No fans did anything of consequence in response.  18-22 year olds gonna 18-22 year old.  Even the best of them went out and made wise decisions like hiring Master P as their agent.  As much as we love them it doesn't mean they always know what is best for themselves, much less the University.  

So not liking The Eyes =
- Not caring about the University
- Not caring about your teammates
- Not caring about yourself

??

Are you OK?

I'm just going to start calling you morons Song Karen.

8 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

There are hundreds and thousands of song sung at minstrel shows, I was not aware we were supposed to stop singing all of them.

No one is asking you to stop singing The Eyes.

Stop claiming false victimhood.

15 hours ago, Lam, Ham & Jam said:

Long live "The Eyes". 

The players and those backing this insanity are going to die on this hill.  The sky is not blue and they will vehemently rage against all evidence to the contrary.

As of now, the only solution is to burn it all down and start over.  No scholarships should be cancelled, the players are welcome to continue the pursuit of their degrees on the 40.

No sports for 1 year.  All sports.  Shut it down.   TV contracts be damned.   Last I checked the PUF is worth a jabillion dollars. At Texas, the excuse of "optics" is just that, an excuse.

Just like the situation with Tom Herman, if The University is interested in winning, he would be fired.

The current situation, unless it changes, confirms The University is not interested in the lifetime investment of a million alumni.

7 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

The players and those backing this insanity are going to die on this hill.  The sky is not blue and they will vehemently rage against all evidence to the contrary.

As of now, the only solution is to burn it all down and start over.  No scholarships should be cancelled, the players are welcome to continue the pursuit of their degrees on the 40.

No sports for 1 year.  All sports.  Shut it down.   TV contracts be damned.   Last I checked the PUF is worth a jabillion dollars. At Texas, the excuse of "optics" is just that, an excuse.

Just like the situation with Tom Herman, if The University is interested in winning, he would be fired.

The current situation, unless it changes, confirms The University is not interested in the lifetime investment of a million alumni.

6c23a2569ac27ed015e475433b3a096a_w200.gi

Or just hire a program-building coach who will instill organizational discipline (forcing the players to stand for The Eyes is item #42069 on the list of things that need to be straightened out within the athletic department).

On 10/11/2020 at 7:12 PM, nineliveslost said:

Jesus you are such a cunt. The song isn't racist _ check. The players are being bitches (just like you)_ check 

Lets not muddy the waters any more than that. 

You wear a coffee can to cover your vagina 24/7 _ check 

Fiff

Fixed it for funnier

Who is being asked to "submit"? Please answer this question.

The alumni and donors will stop caring once we win. T

I think that is false. If we had won our first four games, maybe so, but people are now rightfully pissed that this shitty team and its shitty coaching staff spent their summer creating a bullshit narrative about the Eyes of Texas and forgot to do what they are at the University to do.

I don't think alums are going to forget. The players should have had their shit together first. They're not in the driver's seat now.

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

So you're saying some ex-players are trash, exploited UT and do not care about UT, and that UT and its fans are totally awesome, altruistic, don't exploit players and care so much for all of the players and ex-players? And the players are clueless about their own interests and never have a clue about anything because they are 18-22? Got it. Well researched, fact based POV.  We learned a lot here.  One question - How many of these players that you speak about, do you actually know?

No, no, ok, good, enough.

The players are not triggered SJW snowflakes. They're a bunch of black guys who care about black issues specifically.

So not liking The Eyes =
- Not caring about the University
- Not caring about your teammates
- Not caring about yourself

More power to them.

-no, arguably, no

Any alumni who stays mad about players not standing out there for The Eyes even as we're winning is a toxic, bitter influence who should be ignored/excised. That would be the most aggrieved, easily-offended, meltiest snowflake imaginable.

Imagine a 10-0 Texas team in 2021 coming off the field after a 30-point victory, half the team shows up for The Eyes, and they take the time and energy to be mad about it. A complete freakshow of a person not worthy of time or consideration.

At this point Song Karen is desperate for rich daddy to come in and make the unruly black boys listen to her and tell her she's pretty. It's tragic to see.

• Fuck You 10

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Imagine a 10-0 Texas team in 2021 coming off the field after a 30-point victory, half the team shows up for The Eyes, and they take the time and energy to be mad about it. A complete freakshow of a person not worthy of time or consideration.

I CAN'T EVEN ENJOY THIS FUCKING HYPOTHETICAL BECAUSE FUCK YOU TOM HERMAN

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Any alumni who stays mad about players not standing out there for The Eyes even as we're winning is a toxic, bitter influence who should be ignored/excised. That would be the most aggrieved, easily-offended, meltiest snowflake imaginable.

College football is about traditions. Traditions and school loyalty are what separate college football from the NFL, and make it so much more personal.

I am not a fan of Texas because it's the local team.

And no one says you have to give a shit about our school and its traditions, but don't be surprised when alums do give a shit.

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

College football is about traditions. Traditions and school loyalty are what separate college football from the NFL, and make it so much more personal.

I am not a fan of Texas because it's the local team.

And no one says you have to give a shit about our school and its traditions, but don't be surprised when alums do give a shit.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOP!

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 10

9 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

They aren't looking for unity and camaraderie, they are looking for obedience from the help.

It's OUR university, champ. We all get input (current athletes and students, as well as alums) on what's important. If you're going to make shit up to use the Eyes for leverage, you had better do what you're there to do or you hold no cards. They have failed, and the visual Saturday really rubbed people the wrong way. They're holding a pair of 2s.

• Hook 'Em 6

3 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Lol my goodness easy Francis.  He didn't say they were trash and can you honestly say when you were 18-22 you had a well rounded perspective and an opinion yourself today would respect?  Come on man.  It seems a lot like you just pander to nonsense to make sure you're on the right side of history which I can understand.  I think it's disgusting but I understand it.  

3 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

It's OUR university, champ. We all get input (current athletes and students, as well as alums) on what's important. If you're going to make shit up to use the Eyes for leverage, you had better do what you're there to do or you hold no cards. They have failed, and the visual Saturday really rubbed people the wrong way.

Even the worst player on the UT football team has roughly 1000x more relevance than you do. Keep that in mind while you make grand declaratory statements about "OUR" university and lay out the rules for how it works. You don't matter.

They're holding a pair of 2s.

And you're not even at the table.

You're in a tragically pathetic position of hoping powerful rich white men will punish these black guys for you because you're powerless and invisible. Just embarrassing stuff.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 4

12 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Even the worst player on the UT football team has roughly 1000x more relevance than you do. Keep that in mind while you make grand declaratory statements about "OUR" university and lay out the rules for how it works. You don't matter.

You're in a tragically pathetic position of hoping powerful rich white men will punish these black guys for you because you're powerless and invisible. Just embarrassing stuff.

spacer.png

15 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

And you're not even at the table.  You're in a tragically pathetic position of hoping powerful rich white men will punish these black guys for you because you're powerless and invisible. Just embarrassing stuff.

chamberlain-declares-peace-for-our-time-

5 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

Lol my goodness easy Francis.  He didn't say they were trash and can you honestly say when you were 18-22 you had a well rounded perspective and an opinion yourself today would respect?  Come on man.  It seems a lot like you just pander to nonsense to make sure you're on the right side of history which I can understand.  I think it's disgusting but I understand it.  

What's truly disgusting is to stereotype and make generalizations to suit the silly point that young people don't possess the capacity to lead a meaningful and significant change initiative. They do and they are. And thank goodness they took the lead at UT and around this country. Give them some credit. Apex73, it took me some time to respond to you because I was waiting for "Francis" to respond first. Additionally, I was looking around to see if you had said anything on this topic that isn't myopic and regressive. But since I had a few extra minutes, I went ahead and responded anyway.  Maybe Francis, will eventually get back to you also.        

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

13 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

You know who has more relevance than anyone? The millionaire and billionaire donors 

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You know who has more relevance than anyone? The millionaire and billionaire donors 

Yes, as I said:

This applies to many of you guys.

The BMD are a big reason this program is a dysfunctional mess and their meddling in this regard won't be helpful, either. I know many of you are excited by the idea of their meddling in this regard because it punishes the hated SJWs, but it's just another example of the toxicity of our donor class.

I say you guys are cheering for it because you seem convinced that The Eyes controversy is foremost in their mind and that they will present a united front against the players come wins or losses. That's not realistic, it's you guys wishcasting. Winning cures all ills, and if we start winning then the donor class will get access to winning athletes and coaches which is the whole reason they donate in the first place.

And if we're winning and players aren't going out for The Eyes and the donors show back up enthusiastic, what then for Song Karen? What then for the furious keyboard warrior and his crusade against the SJWs and black professors?

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Heaven forbid the team can’t walk off on their starting quarterback after losses but stay after wins. Oh the humanity. 

Did they walk off on Sam or did they just walk off the field as Sam stayed behind?

The melodramatic narrative-building around the event is worthy of a soap opera writing job.

@bad_teammateYou seem to be taking this really personally and have very strong beliefs the eyes shouldn't be used. Regardless of my personal opinion, you seem to be stuck on "it was used at a minstrel show" for your basis. Where do you draw the line in other aspects of your life? Will you never buy a volkswagon because it was a nazi company or has it transformed beyond that? What about all the other numerous examples or companies connected to ugly pasts?  

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Maybe. I haven't (don't care to do it) done the math but all the billionaire donors in the world can't really prevent a program from slipping into irrelevance or the Big 12 from becoming the AAC or the Mountain West Conference. For decades it killed me to watch our best players leave the state and have to listen to how great USC, Alabama, Miami, FSU and LSU were, when I knew Texas High Schools produced the best players and Texas programs could be great if they could keep them home. For one brief moment Vince & Co. proved me right and Tx College football was fun. Billionaires didn't get any natty rings because they didn't make it happen. It's all about the 18-22 year old Jimmies and Joes. Recognize.         

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, GTNY said:

@bad_teammateYou seem to be taking this really personally and have very strong beliefs the eyes shouldn't be used. Regardless of my personal opinion, you seem to be stuck on "it was used at a minstrel show" for your basis.

Are you reading this thread? lol

- I don't think The Eyes is a racist song in itself (lyrically). It was played at my wedding. It will be played at my funeral. I will sing it again and again and again until that time. I will most likely be singing it at a birthday celebration this weekend.

- I am not "stuck" on anything. The song was written as a tribute to a guy quoting Lee and it was originally performed at a minstrel show. Those are historical facts. Those historical facts don't make ME feel offended by the song, but then again my people were not the target of Lee or minstrelsy.

- I want our Alma Mater to be a unifying experience.

- I respect the feelings and opinions of black Longhorns who don't find singing a song inspired by Lee and introduced to use at a minstrel show to be a uniting experience.

So until the black Longhorn community communicates in some way that it's 100% cool with The Eyes, then The Eyes isn't doing the job of an Alma Mater.

And my own cherished memories involving The Eyes aren't subject to anyone else's approval or disapproval. I don't need anyone else's validation.

Where do you draw the line in other aspects of your life? Will you never buy a volkswagon because it was a nazi company or has it transformed beyond that? What about all the other numerous examples or companies connected to ugly pasts?  

I will buy German cars, but I respect the many Jews who refuse to.

I can't really think of anything that's happened to me or my people like slavery or the Holocaust, so I'm not going to sit here and act like what you're saying makes any sense for me.