2020/2021 Hunting Thread

Both Tacos

18 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I had zero luck pig hunting this weekend. Fuckers have a 6th sense I guess. I have a shitload of doe that will need to be thinned. Bucks are very elusive, only saw a 10pt and 8pt worth shooting. 

I did have a drunken ride AFTER I sat for 4 hours waiting for the pigs that resulted is a csb. Me and my fil loaded up a big ole yeti of whiskey each and went tearing ass around the ranch in the mule at like 1am. I had a sounder run across in front of me and I ran over two babies. Those fuckers are durable as shit. It sent us bouncing up in the air a foot it felt like but when I turned around I couldn't find them. If they survived, I will be blown away. I hit them at full speed with the tires.

Everything here is what is making it so difficult to keep their numbers under control.  They are very smart and adapt to pressure and habitat disruptions.  They are also hard to kill and shit out babies like god damn rabbits.  Going to take some bright young chemists on how to poison them effectively without killing all the other animals that feed on them after they pass.  

5 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Everything here is what is making it so difficult to keep their numbers under control.  They are very smart and adapt to pressure and habitat disruptions.  They are also hard to kill and shit out babies like god damn rabbits.  Going to take some bright young chemists on how to poison them effectively without killing all the other animals that feed on them after they pass.  

Yep - Takes a 70% reduction in population each year to simply keep the numbers at status quo (which is already far too high).  Hunting and trapping can't come even close to that since they are so smart and tough to trap/hunt in large numbers.

We will continue to lose the battle and it will only get worse until some groundbreaking change in a population control method is discovered.

Elk is the best game animal I have eaten, love elk tenders and chicken fried steak elk. If an Axis is ever in bow or rifle range I’m letting the air out of it.

Wouldnt mind going on an Axis doe meat hunt. My wife’s family has a ranch in Mills County And there are tons of deer but no Axis.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yep - Takes a 70% reduction in population each year to simply keep the numbers at status quo (which is already far too high).  Hunting and trapping can't come even close to that since they are so smart and tough to trap/hunt in large numbers.
We will continue to lose the battle and it will only get worse until some groundbreaking change in a population control method is discovered.
Corn pile mixed with koolaid powder + tannerite = hog population control (or at least a handful or more get blown to smithereens.

5170afb6a24b893847318957af53e7ca.jpg

Since we’re talking meat, I’ll elaborate a little. As you can see from the big bloody spot in this photo, the exit wound was a little bit back, but bright lung blood, no guts cut, which was obviously nice. Entrance wound was just at the back of the opposite shoulder, a little further back than I intended. He was walking, I only had seconds to get the shot off, excuses, etc. He was also quartering towards me more than I thought. Luckily I caught enough shoulder on the entrance side to slow him down significantly, and he was down within 30 yards.

The benefit of the shot being a few inches back was that minimal shoulder meat was lost, so that’s nice. Also, I like heart, and while the lungs were shredded, the heart was intact - I trimmed back one piece of rib and I was able to reach in through the entrance wound and retrieve it. Yeah, the entrance wound. 300 Weatherby, 150gr Nosler Partitions, serious business.

I break my deer into quarters and primals and wet age them in a cooler for a week or so, draining water, adding ice daily and a little Kosher salt. So I’ve got a little time here to decide what to do with him. First thoughts:

Backstraps: leave whole for stuffing/roasting
Neck: burger grind
Front shoulders: burger grind
Hams: jerky and roasts
Heart and tenders: chicken fry or new recipe

I bought a grinder awhile back, so I may try to process this one completely myself. I need to decide what fat to mix with the burger grind (bacon, pork tallow, beef tallow, etc).

My wife and kids like venison, but they don’t like tough/stringing parts that processors will put into burger sometimes, so i may be able to get more consumption from them if I am more judicious with the trim, so I’ll be watching that closely. I also picked up a burger forming attachment for the grinder, so I may try to pre form patties as I grind and separate with wax paper before freezing to make it easy for the wife to use later.

Dropped the head and cape off at the taxi I use to get the skull bleached and the hide tanned. Should make a nice euro mount and I’ll see if the wife or kids want to use the hide for something neat. I might have shoulder mounted him, but my Africa trip taxidermy came home last year and I just got the wife copacetic with that, so probably need to go a little understated here.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Help me with my math here. I plan on putting up 8 16 foot hog panels around my feeder. So each would be at a 45 degree angle (360/8). Thats a 20ish foot radious correct? Thats my goal here for the 3 foot panels.

Yeah, I’m coming up with a 20’ radius. ((8 x 16) / pi) / 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Both Tacos said:
12 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Corn pile mixed with koolaid powder + tannerite = hog population control (or at least a handful or more get blown to smithereens.

Or this....

BGDg.gif

All kidding aside, in lieu of a viable poison, aerial hunting might be the only thing that keeps them in check in certain regions.  Just so damn expensive and dangerous at night (when they are of course most active)

I think the rut in Hays County isn't too far away.  Saw a nice Hill Country buck at dusk last night with his nose to the ground walking briskly towards two doe.  Saw another decent buck in my front yard at dawn who looked like he was on a mission.  Always seems like the rut around here is earlier that most other areas.  We usually see it around mid-November at our ranch in Kimble County and it was always right before Christmas when I hunted in South Texas.  Anyone else seeing signs of the rut?

Just now, BabaYaga said:

Or this....

BGDg.gif

All kidding aside, in lieu of a viable poison, aerial hunting might be the only thing that keeps them in check in certain regions.  Just so damn expensive and dangerous at night (when they are of course most active)

Yep - Based on current population, we need to kill over 1 million hogs in Texas alone.....ANNUALLY....... just to stay at the current predicament level.   

That's a lot of mini-guns and Huey flights.

9 hours ago, 686 said:

Since we’re talking meat, I’ll elaborate a little. As you can see from the big bloody spot in this photo, the exit wound was a little bit back, but bright lung blood, no guts cut, which was obviously nice. Entrance wound was just at the back of the opposite shoulder, a little further back than I intended. He was walking, I only had seconds to get the shot off, excuses, etc. He was also quartering towards me more than I thought. Luckily I caught enough shoulder on the entrance side to slow him down significantly, and he was down within 30 yards.

The benefit of the shot being a few inches back was that minimal shoulder meat was lost, so that’s nice. Also, I like heart, and while the lungs were shredded, the heart was intact - I trimmed back one piece of rib and I was able to reach in through the entrance wound and retrieve it. Yeah, the entrance wound. 300 Weatherby, 150gr Nosler Partitions, serious business.

I break my deer into quarters and primals and wet age them in a cooler for a week or so, draining water, adding ice daily and a little Kosher salt. So I’ve got a little time here to decide what to do with him. First thoughts:

Backstraps: leave whole for stuffing/roasting
Neck: burger grind
Front shoulders: burger grind
Hams: jerky and roasts
Heart and tenders: chicken fry or new recipe

I bought a grinder awhile back, so I may try to process this one completely myself. I need to decide what fat to mix with the burger grind (bacon, pork tallow, beef tallow, etc).

My wife and kids like venison, but they don’t like tough/stringing parts that processors will put into burger sometimes, so i may be able to get more consumption from them if I am more judicious with the trim, so I’ll be watching that closely. I also picked up a burger forming attachment for the grinder, so I may try to pre form patties as I grind and separate with wax paper before freezing to make it easy for the wife to use later.

Dropped the head and cape off at the taxi I use to get the skull bleached and the hide tanned. Should make a nice euro mount and I’ll see if the wife or kids want to use the hide for something neat. I might have shoulder mounted him, but my Africa trip taxidermy came home last year and I just got the wife copacetic with that, so probably need to go a little understated here.

If you're trying to grind hamburger, aside from the judicious trimming to get as much silverskin and tough stuff out, the only recommendation I've tried that worked ok was to buy a small packer brisket with plenty of fat, chunk that up and mix it with the axis chunks (we were doing whitetail)  before grinding to get a mix of fatty beef in with the venison.  Beef tallow is a mess to work with and sometimes has an off-taste IMO.  

For doing the hams I recommend this video, especially the part about getting the lymph gland out.  Maybe just a placebo effect but I've noticed the last couple of deer we've taken our time butchering never had any gamey off taste.

This chick is also pretty entertaining.

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

Yep - Based on current population, we need to kill over 1 million hogs in Texas alone.....ANNUALLY....... just to stay at the current predicament level.   

For sure.  It's not economically viable.  I know in the NE they bring in urban snipers to cull the deer populations that cause a ridiculous amount of auto accidents.  In certain areas, might be an option.  Sounders move as pressure increases as well.  They are smart as we all know.  

Even if/when the poison is available, can you imagine the stench of tens of thousands of dead, rotting hogs.  God help the land owner if, when dying, they try to get to water.  

26 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

It's funny you posted that  about mini-guns and Huey flights.  The guy to our east runs a very large farming / cattle raising operation and also manages the ranch to our north. He is always flying his place and the place he manages to shoot pigs and dogs from a chopper.  

This past February and right at the end of MLDP season he stepped up his efforts.  He flew several times and buzzed the north and eastern edges of our place to make his sweep turns.  We could see the chopper was not the usual small surveying bird but was now a Bell Jet Ranger.  We could hear the rotors beating the air and the tap-tap-tap-tap of the  ARs hammering away.

Then the ARs fell silent for a moment only to be replaced by the sound of bzzzz bzzzz bzzzz as someone unleashed full auto out of the chopper.

He cleaned up pretty good that way.  

Were you anticipating Velociraptors and an Axis happened to walk by.......;)

To paraphrase a Hellboy quote: “I’m not a very good shot, but these bullets have 4000 ft-lbs of kinetic energy...”

I don’t like long tracking jobs, and I like to feel confident out to longer range if the situation arises.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, 686 said:

To paraphrase a Hellboy quote: “I’m not a very good shot, but these bullets have 4000 ft-lbs of kinetic energy...”

I don’t like long tracking jobs, and I like to feel confident out to longer range if the situation arises.

No, I get it.  Those Weatherby rounds are HOT.  

I don't know how many bowhunters we have here but this season I'm making the switch to mechanicals. Picked up some Wasp Jakhammers as they seemed to be a good no-frills expandable. I've always shot fixed blades and have had good results but just curious what y'all's experience is with mechs.

IMG_20201015_144024_01~2.jpg

I don't know how many bowhunters we have here but this season I'm making the switch to mechanicals. Picked up some Wasp Jakhammers as they seemed to be a good no-frills expandable. I've always shot fixed blades and have had good results but just curious what y'all's experience is with mechs.

2032091718_IMG_20201015_144024_012.thumb.jpg.0ea8c4027bda8e9687c6da53995811f8.jpg

It’s been a few years since I’ve shot my bow, but when I was shooting more I shot Rage some, and they do some amazing things, but I did have blades get caught on something and “deploy” while sitting in my bow a few times. Luckily I caught it before drawing back on anything. I switched to slick trick fixed blades after that, but I think the mechanical companies have improved the blade retention devices since then.

Are those Wasps aluminum or steel body?

• Hook 'Em 1

I've never had a problem with mechanical.  I started shooting fixed blade before mechanicals were the thing.  Even hunted with some outfitters in Illinois who forbid mechanicals in the early years due to problems (real or perceived) in the early models.  The fear/concern/experience was that they didn't expand reliably and caused lost deer.

That's long since past, especially with the newer generations.

I can tell you that the Rage 3 blade versions have created some of the most incredible exit wounds and impressive blood trails I have ever seen.  I would have no hesitation using (I do) or recommending any of the major brand mechanicals to anyone.  They are wicked.  Looks like someone slowly poured a gallon of blood from point of impact to the recovered animal.

Fire away.

• Hook 'Em 1

I go back between my .270 and .257. Both are tremendous.   

During the pandemic ammo scare, which I guess is still going strong, I realized I have shit for NATO rounds, but was pretty well set with the 4$/per wby rounds.  Dumbass. 

I basically had the same thing happen. I did at least have a couple thousand .22 and an ammo can of .45; but only about 100 rounds of 5.56.

I carry Rage Trypan for deer/exotics and G5 Montec fixed blades for shooting hogs.

Because those fuckers are so loud, I always have plenty of time to switch out my arrow to the Montec when hogs are coming.

Montecs are tough broadheads and I can hunt with them for a couple of years and run them through several hogs before I replace/lose them.  I don't even sharpen them....sometimes I don't clean them.  They still do the job.

I've killed deer with the Montec too and they perform well, but the blood trail is no comparison to the Trypan.  Normally it looks more like a crime scene than a tracking job.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/13/2020 at 9:04 AM, deadshank said:

It's funny you posted that  about mini-guns and Huey flights.  The guy to our east runs a very large farming / cattle raising operation and also manages the ranch to our north. He is always flying his place and the place he manages to shoot pigs and dogs from a chopper.  

This past February and right at the end of MLDP season he stepped up his efforts.  He flew several times and buzzed the north and eastern edges of our place to make his sweep turns.  We could see the chopper was not the usual small surveying bird but was now a Bell Jet Ranger.  We could hear the rotors beating the air and the tap-tap-tap-tap of the  ARs hammering away.

Then the ARs fell silent for a moment only to be replaced by the sound of bzzzz bzzzz bzzzz as someone unleashed full auto out of the chopper.

He cleaned up pretty good that way.  

I am wondering if I just get a cane corso and a few cur dogs and let them have fun. I know my dog loki would love to join in as well. I would love to watch dogs tear those mfers up. Probably less effective than nv but honestly at this point then can't be any worse. 

I woke up and rolled out of the trailer to two hogs at the camp feeder. I snuck up to a shooting position and by the time my eyes focused they were gone. I am not good at the pig killing so far.

41 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

That’s a great looking deer, how old you think he is? 

Saw him last year.  Estimated at 5.5 this year.  Grew another tine on his left side.  Guesstimating. 163-168 score.  

What says Surly deer gurus?

Edited by deadshank

I have a really hard time aging deer off a property without being able to see other deer with which to compare or some benchmark.

That being said, he looks to be in that 4.5 -5.5 range.  Certainly not a 3rd year deer and no sign he would be over 6+.

He's certainly got the necessary tine length to be +160.  That's where your inches are in most TX deer since mass isn't a predominant trait like it is in northern bucks.

Beautiful buck!

5 hours ago, deadshank said:

Hello there, sexy. 

3D4EF970-34A0-4F09-929B-DA9CCBAB887C.jpeg

42066C9D-F9A2-4D5B-B241-7D944F1ABB15.jpeg

I think 5.5 is right.  Starting the Roman nose and bigger belly.  Just a little sway back and not much brisket neck.  I'd score him in the low 160s for sure.  I always miss on the mass, but he has nice consistent height and looks to be about 23" inside spread.  He's also going to net really high.  Not much variation between the sides.  Great buck!

• Hook 'Em 1

Long day but got lots accomplished. Brushed in 2 duck blinds and 1 deer blind. Plus, added stairs to the back of the deer blind.Had some good help which meant getting it all done in one day and not two. We also saw 2 large groups of teal when we got to the wetlands and they stuck around a little while.
After everyone left, I went back down to the deer blind with the last of the cedar brush. While just sitting in the Rhino enjoying the peace and quiet, 2 yearlings come out into the food plot to get a snack. They never even noticed me. Always enjoying seeing wildlife on the property doing there thing.92f62a15e31e35c31acd3f2be26c887a.jpg45e47e76c5697db1adabe04d0e529b88.jpgab36fc60856d4d4ffb24bf60fc94d46c.jpg25b0089c945061d0db7610fee31a1420.jpgf02ad6500df318cfca94deee5ac44a1f.jpg370af7bd48ec0c95c2b53ddef29caf49.jpgd70780c6885df54342b20534054c76b2.jpg8732513630e32588569ad4dbf828d0d2.jpgaafb4d7b762296cc8f673b61fc31e774.jpg24f3826b486cfd9431ad9b414c11abae.jpg7cd9ccda41643544dd871da3a69f54df.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

On 8/18/2020 at 9:09 AM, Both Tacos said:

It sucks that CWD has been found in Texas. Lots of states have had huge populations wiped out.

Saw a checkpoint on I10 at Segovia a few weeks ago heading to my place SW of Sonora. Freakin sucks especially after we went through anthrax 2 years ago.

Hing it is isolated

On 10/13/2020 at 8:25 AM, BabaYaga said:

Or this....

BGDg.gif

My buddy had email/phone conversations with Syd Miller a few years ago when poisoning was being considered and Syd basically said they didn’t like it either but were at a loss as to how to stop the bastards. My friend recommended a reduced out of state fee for feral hog licensing and I thing that was adopted?

Edited by Dilligas
Spelling

On 10/17/2020 at 9:35 PM, Dilligas said:

My buddy had email/phone conversations with Syd Miller a few years ago when poisoning was being considered and Syd basically said they didn’t like it either but were at a loss as to how to stop the bastards. My friend recommended a reduced out of state fee for feral hog licensing and I thing that was adopted?

Every little bit helps to stem the tide, but recreational hunting alone will never get it done.  Those sows start having litters around 9-12 months of age and average 3 litters per year.

It's an exponential growth curve and unless science comes up with a way to break the breading cycle, hunting can't stop it.  Their ability and willingness to go nocturnal and / or to move into urban or inaccessible areas where hunting isn't as easy  makes that impossible.

They're the mammalian equivalent to fire ants.

1 hour ago, Reagan1k said:

Every little bit helps to stem the tide, but recreational hunting alone will never get it done.  Those sows start having litters around 9-12 months of age and average 3 litters per year.

It's an exponential growth curve and unless science comes up with a way to break the breading cycle, hunting can't stop it.  Their ability and willingness to go nocturnal and / or to move into urban or inaccessible areas where hunting isn't as easy  makes that impossible.

They're the mammalian equivalent to fire ants.

Yep.  As often stated, you have to eradicate 70%+ of the current population each year to impact their growth curves.  If not, you are just removing barriers to entry for the next generation.  They are smart, move when pressured, and adapt easily.  It's tough.  Even with safe poisoning and no impact to other animals that eat them on it getting into the soil, what do you do with millions of rotting hog carcasses YOY. 

I know in many NE urban areas where the density of deer becomes dangerous for drivers, they bring in "snipers" that hunt using fully suppressed, sub-sonic ammunition and night optics to thin them out.  Something that is actually "Hollywood quiet" and target the smaller ones.  Thin out the younger one first.

Or simply re-introduce market hunting on them and turn people loose

tumblr_nzbbk00F5m1tmn9pto1_500.gifv