Maria's Is Being Sold

Wally Pryor

Food took a dive over the last few years and was never as good as the original location.   Hard to believe, around almost 25 years.   Lots of good people and memories there, especially in the old location.  Fernando left about a year ago but I think most of the staff remained the same.   

After several years of flirting with selling her business in the face of rising property taxes and increased competition, Maria Corbalan has sold Maria’s Taxo Xpress, the iconic taqueria at 2529 S. Lamar Blvd.

Corbalan, who moved her restaurant to the property in 2006 after originally opening on an adjacent lot in 1996, has sold the land to an unnamed local investment company, according to her real estate agents at CBRE, which intends to “find the perfect tenant for this iconic location.”

Corbalan told the American-Statesman that even she does not know the name of the buyer, but that she is under the impression the space will be developed into a “nice restaurant.”

The sale is slated to be finalized in early November, according to a news release. According to that release, real estate firm Weitzman Group is representing the buyers. The Statesman has asked the Weitzman Group for the name of the entity that’s purchased the property.

“I’m mentally appreciave of all the love I received when I was down and when I was high,” Corbalan said by phone. “I’m leaving sad, but I’m leaving happy, because I’ve met so many friends and supporters and beautiful people.”

Maria’s will continue to serve takeout and patio dining through the end of the year. The name of the restaurant will live on, as Corbalan said she will pass the name and the restaurant’s equipment on to her employees of 20 years. She said she has already purchased a trailer in hopes they can continue the legacy elsewhere.

“When I came to Austin from Argentina as a young girl, I fell in love with this city and its people. My restaurant has allowed me to touch so many lives over the years, and for that I am incredibly grateful,” Corbalan said in the release. “The best gift the community can give me is supporting my employees on their new endeavor.”

Corbalan told the Statesman that she intends to sell all of the art and memorabilia from the restaurant in the coming months.

“Everything is for sale,” Corbalan said.

That Includes the massive statue of Corbalan that sits on the site, which was constructed by local artist Michael Peschka.

“My house is not big enough for her,” Corbalan said. 

Maria’s has always been more than a taco stand, serving as something of a de facto community center, a home for fundraisers, live music, political meet-ups and the groovy, music-filled “Hippie Church” on Sundays.

“I have worked very hard as a woman in this city,” Corbalan said in the release’s statement. “When I started my restaurant in 1997, beginning with a small food trailer, I never imagined how I would be able to give back to my community and brings smiles to faces with Hippie Church and food made from the heart.” 

The restaurant is one of the few remaining pieces of “old South Austin” (along with businesses like Saxon Pub, Matt’s El Rancho and the Broken Spoke), and it drew the support of the community when a wave of change hit South Lamar a decade ago.

Corbalan closed the original Taco Xpress in 2005 to make way for a Walgreens, but the pharmacy ponied up for a new space, allowing Taco Xpress to move about 100 feet to its current building in 2006.

Corbalan said she had previously been under contract to sell the land in 2017 before that deal fell apart; the property went back on the market last year.

“Maria’s Taco Xpress has been a staple of the 78704 community for more than 24 years, first as a food truck and then as the restaurant we all know now,” CBRE first vice president Bradley Bailey said in a statement. “We were glad to find a locally based buyer who will bring the next phase of this location to life.”

https://www.austin360.com/entertainment/20200930/mariarsquos-taco-xpress-sold-to-unnamed-local-buyer-will-close-at-end-of-year?utm_source=web_push&utm_medium=referral

That sucks. I ate there just about every morning from 2003 until 2005. Maria was always friendly and the tacos were always awesome. I thought their salsa was terrific. Maria was a very attractive lady back in the days when I was there frequently. I hope if Fernando (manager) is still there and wants to continue the business, he can find someplace to call home with it. Since we moved to Houston, we’d always stop at Maria’s Sunday morning on our way back home from Austin. I’ll miss that place.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, ztejas said:

I don't think I ever ate there. It's more of a venue than a restaraunt, correct?

no.  I haven’t been in several years (and wally says the food “took a dive” during that time and maybe that’s true) but I always loved it.  I always ate the same thing every time I went, though.  migas taco and al pastor.  both were excellent, though I can’t speak to the quality of the rest of the menu. 

6 minutes ago, futureman said:

no.  I haven’t been in several years (and wally says the food “took a dive” during that time and maybe that’s true) but I always loved it.  I always ate the same thing every time I went, though.  migas taco and al pastor.  both were excellent, though I can’t speak to the quality of the rest of the menu. 

With you on the migas. Treated many hangovers there with 2 migas tacos and a Coke.

3 minutes ago, futureman said:

Yes, the salsa bar was / is great.  Probably being a little harsh on the food quality.    Maria expanded the menu including the additional dinner options and that seemed to somewhat dilute the overall quality of things. Dinner thing didn't last for very long.  My go-tos (pastor, migas) were and are (as of last Thursday) still damn good. 

Over time, Maria gave more and more of the reins to Fernando but she worked her ass off early on, no doubt.   Really nice and fun lady.   Fernando saw the writing on the wall and left so not sure what legs a truck has.  Oscar is still there I think and he may be able to do something.  

21 minutes ago, Paco said:

My wife has seen Maria's vagina.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. 

She sounds like a more beautiful version of Rutger Hauer.  

I rented a house just east of Maria's when she opened the South Lamar location ~ 2005.  I was in between house sales/builds.  I walked over there a ton.  Never thought the food was great but the vibe made up for it.  Migas were pretty great, coffee was  usually warm-ish.

you better fucking go on...
edit, I’m guessing your wife is an OB?
Well it's not like she chewed on it or anything. I asked her to describe it and she said I was disgusting. I then attempted to clarify whether I was disgusting, or the vagina in question and she said "You, not the vagina."

So I've deducted that Maria's vagina is not disgusting. That's the best I can do.
  • Like 1