The Robert Mueller Investigation

Hugo Stiglitz

2 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

I don't follow.  Are you suggesting that the Mystery Appellant is off the hook regardless of SCOTUS not taking their appeal - because Mueller is "done" ?  

No, not at all.  I'm saying it wasn't enough of a game changer for Mueller to hold the investigation open, or it was farmed out and we'll see what happens.

40 minutes ago, Cacti said:

I doubt if even 20% of the public would read the full report even if it was available. And half of those would have to be told what it said. For the vast majority of the pubic, conclusions have already been reached.

I almost surely wouldn't read it. However, I would read articles about it and listen to the opinions of those I respect. 

Presently, a summary being presented by a presidential appointee is all I have to go on. The AG's interpretation provides enough "light" for the chorus of deplorables to emerge from their gloomy safe places and gloat about exoneration.

It's possible we are witnessing the old right wing ploy of providing a moment that seems like a victory followed by a claim of "that's all behind us now" when the full, filthy story comes to light. Bizarro Benghazi, if you will.

We are being treated to a supernova of old school rad right ejaculate. They feel safe to laugh at serious things and dismiss any opposing opinions as idiotic because they originate from the snowflake hearts of ebil libs (the new Juden, jah!) who mean only harm to the dear old USA. 

They gather to dance the familiar choreography of repeated untruth and ridicule which they believe will scare away the ebil spirits and make sweet America great again. It wouldn't be the first time it's worked.

The owners and overseers have regained control. The USA is bound for greatness again! Huzzah! Now tote that bale and shut up!

Edited by RomaVicta
preposition not positioned as intentioned
  • Like 6

We needed a 9/11 type independent investigation for the 2016 election interference that wasn't necessarily a criminal investigation. 

Everyone wants "lock 'em up" blood when some of us just want a comprehensive nonpartisan accounting of what happened. 

Looks like Mueller's indictments of the Russians are as close as we are going to get to that. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

No, not at all.  I'm saying it wasn't enough of a game changer for Mueller to hold the investigation open, or it was farmed out and we'll see what happens.

Got it.  I see it through a totally different lens.  By farming all these out, Mueller better ensures a complete determination criminality.  It's the opposite of these things being unimportant.  Mueller's actions of farming out are protective of the larger investigation, even with him bowing out.  He was a target.  Now he's not and same work continues along multiple lines.

1 minute ago, FondrenRoad said:

I'll help you wrap it up.

1. Candidate Trump is an assclown who will embarrass the USA and damage the USA's standing in the world.

2. Russia and Putin want the USA knocked down a notch on the world stage.

3. Russia works to get Trump elected.

4. President Trump embarrasses the USA, damages longstanding alliances, weakens the US' position in the world, and even allows Russia to gain a foothold in the Western Hemisphere.

5. All this can and likely did happen without Trump himself colluding with the Russians.  Their goals align. 

5. Russians will absolutely try to do it again in 2020, and that's where it will get murkier.  Now President Trump, who knows it is happening, is in a position of power where he can limit Russian influence, but will he?  So now we are going to get to the intentional blind eye phase of this if we aren't already there.  Trump has something that he wants.  Is he going to try to stop a nefarious actor from delivering it to him?

What Trumpists really need to ask themselves is why they support an administration that wishes to weaken American influence and reputation for personal gain.

lol no. unfortunately this is one of those scenarios where having zero concern with truth or facts comes into play, especially when those pesky things can damage your ego. Trump isn't willing to believe the truth regarding Russia's attempts to help him win the election because doing so would harm his ego. So no, he won't do anything about it this time around because he can't accept that it happened/is happening.  

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

lol no. unfortunately this is one of those scenarios where having zero concern with truth or facts comes into play, especially when those pesky things can damage your ego. Trump isn't willing to believe the truth regarding Russia's attempts to help him win the election because doing so would harm his ego. So no, he won't do anything about it this time around because he can't accept that it happened/is happening.  

Which is a betrayal of his oath of office.

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

And that's actually a better outcome.  If he truly doesn't believe it, then the blind eye is due to mental illness rather than intent.  It is much worse if he knows and accepts that Russian meddling is happening, but does nothing because it benefits him.

1 minute ago, FondrenRoad said:

And that's actually a better outcome.  If he truly doesn't believe it, then the blind eye is due to mental illness rather than intent.  It is much worse if he knows and accepts that Russian meddling is happening, but does nothing because it benefits him.

Seems like a difference without a distinction because the consequences are the same. 

Wow.  couple thoughts: when did Barr draft his letter in relation to what he knew or had been able to review?  What actions did Mueller take or not take based on having 3 weeks to gauge the responses from both Barr and Rosenstein? That's a big and important chunk of time for Congress to examine through potential hearings with Barr, Rosenstein, and Mueller.  

But yeah, let's start by Barr choosing to release the actual Mueller report.

9 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Special shout out to this douchenozzle that grifted his way to lucrative book sales by latching on to #Resistance Twitter and taking them for a ride. 

He was fired by Trump for investigating him. He testified publicly under oath briefing the American public of the Russia situation.  Trump was actively trying to cover up that up.  He called Trump a liar and called out his lies under oath.

That takes some courage, I don’t care who you are.

He used his celebrity speak out and write a book about moral leadership. 

If you think that was his master plan the whole time I don’t know what to tell you. 

Just now, Hank Kingsley said:

Sorry that you fell for it, Hugo. 

And your definition of courage is way too big in scope. 

Riiight.  I take it you didn’t read his book. What was Comey supposed to do?  Just drift away into the shadows like Mattis? 

Keep hating on him if it makes you feel better.

Barr's 4 page letter referenced:

"The Special Counsel issued more than 2,800 subpoenas, executed nearly
500 search warrants, obtained more than 230 orders for communication records, issued almost 50
orders authorizing use of pen registers, made 13 requests to foreign governments for evidence, and
interviewed approximately 500 witnesses."

Release the Mueller report.

Odds somewhere in it is something related to this:

6 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

He was fired by Trump for investigating him. He testified publicly under oath briefing the American public of the Russia situation.  Trump was actively trying to cover up that up.  He called Trump a liar and called out his lies under oath.

That takes some courage, I don’t care who you are.

He used his celebrity speak out and write a book about moral leadership. 

If you think that was his master plan the whole time I don’t know what to tell you. 

Funny how life worked out for Jim

https://web.archive.org/web/20160716152116/http://www.hsbc.com/news-and-insight/2013/former-us-deputy-attorney-general-joins-hsbc-board

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2012/dec/11/hsbc-bank-us-money-laundering

I think we should all be happy there wasn't clear evidence that our fucking president is a Russian agent. Is he still a huge piece of shit, criminal, grifter, etc? Absolutely. But him maybe not being under the thumb of Putin (which I still find extremely hard to believe based on his actions) is a good thing. If the report came out saying he was a Russian agent and 40% of the population continued to support him - which they would - we would all be joining Brisket on the ledge. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:
Greenwald's shtick is really annoying(which is basically just giving Democrats shit even though he loathes Trump and Republicans), but this pretty much sums it up. 

It's the media's fault for reporting on all of Cheeto's shitbag activities and lies.

1 minute ago, SquishMitten said:

I think we should all be happy there wasn't clear evidence that our fucking president is a Russian agent. Is he still a huge piece of shit, criminal, grifter, etc? Absolutely. But him maybe not being under the thumb of Putin (which I still find extremely hard to believe based on his actions) is a good thing. If the report came out saying he was a Russian agent and 40% of the population continued to support him - which they would - we would all be joining Brisket on the ledge. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that number is very high. Yes, people would still support him, but a % of the population thinks the earth is flat. I think the VAST majority of Republicans would turn on him if there was a "smoking gun" in the Mueller report. But I'm an optimist. 

4 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Roger Stone is currently on trial for coordinating with Wikileaks and Guccifer 2.0. The case is directly linked to the IRA hacking case. Stone wasn't officially a campaign official, so Barr's nuanced statement yesterday says nothing about Stone. 

Let's see the report before we make sweeping conclusions. 

Edited by suddenly shaggy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Riiight.  I take it you didn’t read his book. What was Comey supposed to do?  Just drift away into the shadows like Mattis? 

Keep hating on him if it makes you feel better.

He became a Twitter presence after he was fired, with painfully douche-y and vague posts about morality to drum up interest in himself and his book. I'm sorry that you and many others continue to fall for it.  Since when is it expected that former FBI directors have a large presence on social media?

Grifting is not a strictly Republican con. We all need a healthy dose of cynicism when it comes to media personalities. 

4 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

And we should instantly forgive Trump for gaslighting the entire country every fucking day.

Facts don’t matter anymore, the truth is whatever Trump says it is.  The New York Times and Washington Post want you to believe it is

Sorry, the copy editor in me couldn't let that typo go by.

Just now, SquishMitten said:

I think we should all be happy there wasn't clear evidence that our fucking president is a Russian agent?

What’s funny is people think the IC would ever come out and say Trump is a Russian agent.  That was never going to happen because that’s not the way it works.  At best they would have brought evidence that he’s and unregistered foreign agent and that was a long shot. 

The clandestine Trump Tower Moscow deal they lied about and worked so hard to keep secret makes the best case I’ve seen for FARA violations but it probably doesn’t meet the prosecutable threshold.  Therefore no charges.

#winning

5 minutes ago, retread said:

It's the media's fault for reporting on all of Cheeto's shitbag activities and lies.

It is absolutely the media's fault for focusing on a Russian conspiracy when Trump and his administration has shit all over this country in plain sight on a daily basis. 

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

What’s funny is people think the IC would ever come out and say Trump is a Russian agent.  That was never going to happen because that’s not the way it works.  At best they would have brought evidence that he’s and unregistered foreign agent and that was a long shot. 

The clandestine Trump Tower Moscow deal they lied about and worked so hard to keep secret makes the best case I’ve seen for FARA violations but it probably doesn’t meet the prosecutable threshold.  Therefore no charges.

#winning

Get help

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

He became a Twitter presence after he was fired, with painfully douche-y and vague posts about morality to drum up interest in himself and his book. I'm sorry that you and many others continue to fall for it.  Since when is it expected that former FBI directors have a large presence on social media?

Grifting is not a strictly Republican con. We all need a healthy dose of cynicism when it comes to media personalities. 

He’s a grifter because he wrote a book and has a social media presence? That’s your threshold for grifting? If a person has a message and perspective to counterbalance the current narrative presented by the WH, how would you prefer that be communicated in a way that isn’t grifting?

3 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I respect Comey because he doesn’t lie.  He makes mistakes sure but I never thought he was a bad person.  

I have no problem with career public servants looking for some money at the end of the line when their service has ended.  

Calling him a grifter isn’t really fair to career grifters.

1 minute ago, suddenly shaggy said:

Roger Stone is currently on trial for coordinating with Wikileaks and Guccifer 2.0. Stone wasn't officially a campaign official, so Barr's statement yesterday says nothing about Stone. Only a fool thinks Roger wasn't updating Trump on the situation.

Precisely.  It sure appears Barr compartmentalized his letter to address "Trump colluding with Russian government."  That's highly specific.  That specificity was Barr's choice of words likely exclusionary of a lot of other circumstantial evidence related to alternate means Trump was aware of the coordinated attack, i.e. through non-campaign member Roger Stone.  Trump never would be the one colluding personally with the Russian government over the DNC hack and release.

• Like 4

Just now, suddenly shaggy said:

Right wing shout down crew still out in full force I see. 

Don't see how any American can take issue with wanting the full report released. Your side especially, since it you think it clears Trump, even though Mueller/Barr expressly said it doesn't. 

Nobody gives a fuck if they release the full nothing burger. It's hilarious to watch the backtracking from TREASON. I don't see what could be more of a shout down crew than every thread turns into a Trump name-calling marathon but whatever. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I respect Comey because he doesn’t lie.  He makes mistakes sure but I never thought he was a bad person.  

I have no problem with career public servants looking for some money at the end of the line when their service has ended.  

Calling him a grifter isn’t really fair to career grifters.

What about him and the HSBC scandal?