New Braunfels Cop Tases Black Guy Over Dirty License Plate

Doc Reeves

Jesus, some of the comments on that article are fucking terrible. 

I wonder if he intentionally drove to the medical clinic (thinking he might need some immediate medical treatment after his encounter with the police) or if it was just the first good place to pull over. 

1 hour ago, futureman said:

I don’t understand why the guy didn’t just pull over

Except for the fact that....he did?  It's not evading arrest to put on your turn signal and exit the highway to a safe place.  So long as you are not driving to evade the officer, you aren't violating the law.  

That's what I have done on occasion when the road conditions make pulling over unsafe for me (and, here's something important -- unsafe for the cop -- I don't want him standing next to me with traffic flying by him, which is dangerous for him).  I put on my hazards or my turn signal, indicating that I see him and am responding, and I exit, or pull into a parking lot, or something like that.  In this video....the driver used his signal, exited the highway at a regular speed, and drove into a parking lot and stopped.  He literally did nothing wrong.

Except having his phone out to record the encounter, which committed the unforgivable crime of "contempt of cop," for which he was tazed, cuffed, and charged. 

But you know, back the blue.

41 minutes ago, futureman said:

do you know how far he drove before exiting? 

I don't, but truly, if you are not evading (speeding, etc.), and are indicating that you are aware and will stop, there's no magic number on distance, but the question is -- was he trying to evade/escape?   Driving the speed limit, and eventually exiting with a turn signal and pulling into a parking lot, is not what "evading arrest" looks like.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

I don't, but truly, if you are not evading (speeding, etc.), and are indicating that you are aware and will stop, there's no magic number on distance, but the question is -- was he trying to evade/escape?   Driving the speed limit, and eventually exiting with a turn signal and pulling into a parking lot, is not what "evading arrest" looks like.

I agree.  I didn’t know if it was apparent that’s what he did.  or if he continued to drive past exits and not acknowledge the police.  it wasn’t clear to me and I was curious.