Formula 1 2021

wood

4 minutes ago, justinjc7 said:

They're on the F1 website.  I had put in my email to get notified when the tickets go on sale a month or so ago and got the email this morning.  When I first checked, there were 2 grandstand sections sold out, when I bought our tickets a little later, there were 4 grandstands sold out, and the last I checked there were 7 sold out so looks like they're going fast.  

Yep, looked at the family grandstand and it all looks sold out. Well, guess that settles that. Seems very weird to sell that quickly.

I also signed up for the email about tickets and saw nothing. That's a bummer.

Also, no matter where you are, you will not have any regrets. Taking the subway to the island and walking around the beautiful park in the most gorgeous June weather you will ever experience is magic. Show up for the Thursday Open House and you might get to meet your favorite F1 people and take the hairpin in a school bus. Montreal is just cool as fuck. I cannot wait to go back. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, justinjc7 said:

I got tix for me and the lady this morning.  I'm cheap so I got GA.  Did I fuck up or are there some good GA vantage points?  I understand some of the grandstands will obviously offer better views than GA but we did GA for our first race this year in Austin and got fine enough views at turn 7 and turn 12.

GA there is not generally great, but at some areas you can have really good views if you get there early. The entry and exit of the hairpin has some, as do a couple of the chicanes. and the exit of 3 iirc.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yep, looked at the family grandstand and it all looks sold out. Well, guess that settles that. Seems very weird to sell that quickly.

It's an extremely popular race and they've lost out on it for the last two years. I can understand the quick sell. 

4 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Same effect as at COTA this year. 2 years without a race, so pent-up demand, and 2+ years of sales leading up to the race.

18 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Also, no matter where you are, you will not have any regrets. Taking the subway to the island and walking around the beautiful park in the most gorgeous June weather you will ever experience is magic. Show up for the Thursday Open House and you might get to meet your favorite F1 people and take the hairpin in a school bus. Montreal is just cool as fuck. I cannot wait to go back. 

Yep. Amazing weather, vibrant city that wraps its arms around F1, beautiful park, and of course, beautiful women. The Thursday Pit Walk at CGV is the perfect microcosm of the differences between CGV and some other tracks, like COTA. COTA limits you to less than an hour, just for 3 day pass holders, and then runs you out of there 10-15 min early, like you're trespassing. At CGV, it goes for several hours, anyone can come, ticket or no ticket, and there's a lot more activity with a lot less crowding.

Edited by wood

1 minute ago, wood said:

Yep. Amazing weather, beautiful park, beautiful women. The Thursday Pit Walk at CGV is the perfect microcosm of the differences between CGV and some other tracks, like COTA. COTA limits you to less than an hour, just for 3 day pass holders, and then runs you out of there early, like you're trespassing. At CGV, it goes for several hours, anyone can come, ticket or no ticket, and there's a lot more activity with a lot less crowding.

So that settles it. When does the Surly RV leave for the road trip to Canada?

45 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Where did you see tickets on sale? I thought they didn't go until Dec. 15.

Everything but General Admission is sold out.  We missed out because my buddy who wanted to go with us couldn't confirm the dates still worked in time to get grandstand tickets.  Sounds like GA sucks in Montreal with a lot of obstructed views.

I'm disappointed to hear Canada is for sale and selling out already. I haven't seen shit in my email.

I did GA there in the past and def regretted it. It's a super flat man-made island and has nowhere near the amount of good GA spots as a place like COTA. Gotta get a grandstand seat if you are making the trip up there.

Just now, faps said:

I'm disappointed to hear Canada is for sale and selling out already. I haven't seen shit in my email.

I did GA there in the past and def regretted it. It's a super flat man-made island and has nowhere near the amount of good GA spots as a place like COTA. Gotta get a grandstand seat if you are making the trip up there.

Yeah.  This sucks.  I was looking forward to going up there.  Still might, depending on how much they want on the secondary market.  I'm guessing it will be more than I'm willing to pay.

• Hook 'Em 1

Outside shot, but it's possible that not all the tickets are available through F1.com, and that some are still going to be available through CGV. Who knows. Have y'all tried calling them (514-350-0000)? They have English-speaking operators, and my experience with them is that they are very helpful and low key. And the wimmenz sound sexy on the phone, too, so there's that.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, wood said:

Outside shot, but it's possible that not all the tickets are available through F1.com, and that some are still going to be available through CGV. Who knows. Have y'all tried calling them? They have English-speaking operators, and my experience with them is that they are very helpful and low key. And the wimmenz sound sexy on the phone, too, so there's that.

Just called them.  They don't have any tickets.  

Just now, ConferenceRoom said:

We got our tickets from gpcanada.ca and they are saying they go on sale December 12. 

Yeah, I just signed up for their newsletter that puts me on the mailing list.  Very odd that F1 went live a week before they did.  Hopefully they have more supply and we can get tickets through them.

15 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

So, what other races are worth visiting and relatively easy to get to?  How are Silverstone and Mexico City?  Sounds like I don't want anything to do with COTA after hearing about this year's race.

I've heard amazing things about MxC. A big party/F1esta. The biggest negative I've heard is that getting from your hotel to the track can sometimes be cumbersome, but that if you leave early, it's not bad - so, like pretty much everywhere else in that regard. 

14 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

So, what other races are worth visiting and relatively easy to get to?  How are Silverstone and Mexico City?  Sounds like I don't want anything to do with COTA after hearing about this year's race.

I've still had great experiences at COTA.  Lots of folks complain about a lot of things.  If you're prepared and know what you're getting into, then the weekend is still a lot of fun. This past race was the most crowded I've seen it since the very first year, but I think the pent-up demand for both racing, and just getting out in general, had a lot to do with it.  I'd be surprised if 2022 is as crowded.

I can't comment on the experiences at Mexico City or Silverstone, but all else being equal, I much prefer the actual racetrack at Silverstone.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I mean I'm not flying halfway around the world for an F1 race.  Easy to get to the general location from Denver.  

Ah, gotcha. Then yeah, Canada & MxC are probably your best bets. Or Miami, & Vegas (2023).

Edited by wood

12 minutes ago, wood said:

Ah, gotcha. Then yeah, Canada & MxC are probably your best bets. Or Miami, & Vegas (2023).

Honestly, the Miami/Vegas crowds just sound like they will be awful given the locations. I can only imagine a lot of people going who are there only because it's a big event without the slightest clue what they are watching. Lots of Megan The Stallion bodyguard type energy in my mind.

Looking at their website, it looks like you have, of course, people who just carried over their 2020 & 2021 tickets to 2022, and then 1st priority on purchasing new tickets went people who got refunds, starting yesterday. It seems like maybe that's all it took. The presale for everyone else starts on the 16th, if there's anything left. If you want to try that, you need to register by the 12th.

https://www.gpcanada.ca/en/tickets-2022-2/

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Honestly, the Miami/Vegas crowds just sound like they will be awful given the locations. I can only imagine a lot of people going who are there only because it's a big event without the slightest clue what they are watching. Lots of Megan The Stallion bodyguard type energy in my mind.

Yeah, I told my son that Miami isn't happening.  That will be a zoo.  Vegas could be fun, but not with a teenager in tow.

I started a thread about it and just got this DM ... so maybe there's hope.

I emailed the circuit who replied "Of course we will have less tickets than usual, since the holders of 2020 tickets have the priority to keep them for 2022" but assured me the pre-sale will still happen.

It's difficult because they email in French, but that's the gist of things.

Ughh really wish I would have done more research on this before being caught off guard with that email this morning.  Been doing research now and seeing a lot re the GA areas not providing good vantage points of the race.  Grandstand 47 doesn't seem like the most exciting part of the track but I believe they were only about $45USD more than the GA tickets that I bought, at least we'd have a seat and a vantage point to actually see the cars.  Oh well, live and learn, I'm just excited to get to be there at least.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, tc1 said:

Hello, yes, it was me who sent that DM to wood on another forum.

I emailed the circuit 30 minutes ago and they replied almost immediately, "Bien sûr que nous aurons moins de billets que d’habitude, vu que les détenteurs de billets de 2020 ont la priorité des les garder pour 2022."

I'm from the UK and have already booked my flights, LOL, so I hope they have tickets left.

Hot tip for anyone wanting to travel to the British GP from North America - it's sometimes cheaper to fly into Paris and then catch the Eurostar to London. This is what I am doing with my Montreal flights. The air taxes in London are crazy.

Welcome to the Surl, tc1! Check the place out. You'll either love it or hate it. There really is no middle ground. Very different from Autosport, to say the least.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, wood said:

Welcome to the Surl, tc1! Check the place out. You'll either love it or hate it. There really is no middle ground. Very different from Autosport, to say the least.

Quick! Let's get his thoughts on Hamilton v. Verstappen in Saudi Arabia.

6 hours ago, NoName said:

i understand his dad is a...not great person to say it lightly.

i am asking specifically about Max off the track to see if i am missing something?

So you are up to speed on his dad, which is good. This is a man that literally rammed his girlfriend with a car, and got arrested with his dad, Max's grandfather, for aggravated assault. So it runs in the family apparently. But as I said, and have always said, I made a point to judge Max on his own merits as I'm not into viewing people as anything other than individuals who make their own choices. Basically he typifies narcissistic personality and on top of that is clearly been a spoiled shit by his father who has done nothing but tell him it's everyone else that the problem. The stories coming out right now about Jos playing the victim of Toto Wolff celebrating at Silverstone is just more of the same, create strawman and play the martyr, and what you get is a son like Max Verstappen who has literally zero sense of personal responsibility for anything. There is an example every race practically of some petulant bullshit. He just walked of the podium this weekend because he got booed. Total clown. I guess the upside is he doesn't have a tendency to hit people like his old man, so I guess he has that going for him.

You pair these two up with a total insecure cunt like Chris Horner, and it's just an unbelievably toxic stew.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, G650 said:

So you are up to speed on his dad, which is good. This is a man that literally rammed his girlfriend with a car, and got arrested with his dad, Max's grandfather, for aggravated assault. So it runs in the family apparently. But as I said, and have always said, I made a point to judge Max on his own merits as I'm not into viewing people as anything other than individuals who make their own choices. Basically he typifies narcissistic personality and on top of that is clearly been a spoiled shit by his father who has done nothing but tell him it's everyone else that the problem. The stories coming out right now about Jos playing the victim of Toto Wolff celebrating at Silverstone is just more of the same, create strawman and play the martyr, and what you get is a son like Max Verstappen who has literally zero sense of personal responsibility for anything. There is an example every race practically of some petulant bullshit. He just walked of the podium this weekend because he got booed. Total clown. I guess the upside is he doesn't have a tendency to hit people like his old man, so I guess he has that going for him.

You pair these two up with a total insecure cunt like Chris Horner, and it's just an unbelievably toxic stew.

not disagreeing with any of this, and in a roundabout way you answered my question about me not missing something he has done off the track

totally understand everything you are saying.

Just now, NoName said:

not disagreeing with any of this, and in a roundabout way you answered my question about me not missing something he has done off the track

totally understand everything you are saying.

Yeah, he certainly hasn't done some things like Jos, which let's face it, not many of us have, it's just his everyday attitude that I am speaking of.

5 minutes ago, G650 said:

Basically he typifies narcissistic personality and on top of that is clearly been a spoiled shit by his father who has done nothing but tell him it's everyone else that the problem. The stories coming out right now about Jos playing the victim of Toto Wolff celebrating at Silverstone is just more of the same, create strawman and play the martyr, and what you get is a son like Max Verstappen who has literally zero sense of personal responsibility for anything. There is an example every race practically of some petulant bullshit. He just walked of the podium this weekend because he got booed. Total clown. I guess the upside is he doesn't have a tendency to hit people like his old man, so I guess he has that going for him.

Also sounds very much like a description of someone else in the paddock.

Edited by wood
i can't fucking type
  • Haha 1

Just for the record, I'm not some big Lewis guy. I grew up with McLaren, and that's always gonna be my heart. And as an Aston owner obviously all in on that. But I deeply respect what Mercedes and Hamilton have done this decade, much more so the Red Bull who I have despised for their entire existence.

Plus Toto's haughty aloof disdain for Horner absolutely infuriates Christian and is the most delicious thing ever.

2 minutes ago, G650 said:

Just for the record, I'm not some big Lewis guy. I grew up with McLaren, and that's always gonna be my heart. And as an Aston owner obviously all in on that. But I deeply respect what Mercedes and Hamilton have done this decade, much more so the Red Bull who I have despised for their entire existence.

Plus Toto's haughty aloof disdain for Horner absolutely infuriates Christian and is the most delicious thing ever.

Toto & Christian are two peas in a pod.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, G650 said:

Did Max ghost you on a blind date or something? You seem to have a vendetta against the guy. I can't imagine being this worked up about a sport. 

Just now, FirstTimeCaller said:

Did Max ghost you on a blind date or something? You seem to have a vendetta against the guy. I can't imagine being this worked up about a sport. 

I'm not particularly worked up. Just my opinion on the dude.

Just now, wood said:

I mean in the way that they operate in the paddock. They're both POSs of the highest order, even there.

Oh, well duh. I'm not arguing that.

• Like 1