Formula 1 2021

wood

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

You can be bitter about Max, I'll enjoy the current drama.

I'm enjoying the drama, or at least the idea of drama and uncertainty. I'll be very surprised if Max can pull it out now though, at least on relative pace.

Edited by wood

Lulz, Max doesn't think he did anything wrong, so I guess he wouldn't mind if someone brake checks him this weekend, causing him to hit them.  Love one of the comments in there comparing Marko and Horner to Palpatine and Vader, and Max is Anakin.  Max having those 2 and his dad filling his head with bullshit can't be a good thing for him long term.  It's OK to admit when you fuck up.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Did any of you ever see this?  It just popped into my Youtube feed, I guess the algorithm finally figured out I watch a lot of F1 stuff.

Naturally, it was the Red Bull driver's aggressive maneuvering that caused the collision... ;)

Edited by utee94
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Lulz, Max doesn't think he did anything wrong, so I guess he wouldn't mind if someone brake checks him this weekend, causing him to hit them.  Love one of the comments in there comparing Marko and Horner to Palpatine and Vader, and Max is Anakin.  Max having those 2 and his dad filling his head with bullshit can't be a good thing for him long term.  It's OK to admit when you fuck up.

Marko is palpatine. Max is anakin.

Horner is jarjar binks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Did any of you ever see this?  It just popped into my Youtube feed, I guess the algorithm finally figured out I watch a lot of F1 stuff.

Naturally, it was the Red Bull driver's aggressive maneuvering that caused the collision... ;)

35 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I'd bet if Max comes up on someone slowing down, he won't slow down as well and drive right behind them until they brake check him, but will  simply pass them.  

I haven't watched for as long as some, but that seems to typically be the goal of most race car drivers, pass cars in front that are going slower. Hamilton was confused though.  Not sure why.  Seems to me to be a pretty basic principle of the sport.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, pied06 said:

I'd bet if Max comes up on someone slowing down, he won't slow down as well and drive right behind them until they brake check him, but will  simply pass them.  

I haven't watched for as long as some, but that seems to typically be the goal of most race car drivers, pass cars in front that are going slower. Hamilton was confused though.  Not sure why.  Seems to me to be a pretty basic principle of the sport.

They both knew Max had to give the spot back and they both knew he wanted to do it right before a DRS detection zone.  Lewis didn't want to retake the spot right there.  Again, that's all gamesmanship, which I love.  The brake check, not so much.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Just think how heavy that thing must be.  Wow.  She was definitely NOT okay at the end of that video.

Yeah I saw that that weekiend, and got damn, that must've hurt. It's amazing how quickly the breakdown effort bgins after the race. Within just a few minutes, the Paddock is like a busy warehouse area, with loaded forklifts and all kinds of apparatus moving large and/or heavy items here and there with some urgency, even while the Paddock is still crowded with people. If you aren't paying attention, it can bite you.

Edited by wood

29 minutes ago, pied06 said:

The devil is in the details. 

Maddest I have ever seen my cousin is when we were helping him move one day.  One of his friends had his little boy a long who was playing with a dolly.  He ended up slamming the dolly in to the back of my cousin's foot when he was running around with it.  He took one look at my cousin's face and crawled underneath a trailer so he would be out of reach.

6 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

So how many of you Max fans love Max vs how many hate Lewis and are glad he has legitimate competition for the first time in a long time?  I suspect a lot of it is the latter.  Max is a prickly dude.  He makes himself hard to like.

I don't qualify as a "Max fan" but I'll give my answer as a general fan of F1:

I dislike both.  I'm glad Lewis has some competition.  I wish it were just about anyone other than Max.  I'd be delighted if both decided to retire after this season and pursue dreams of rock stardom or something. 

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I dislike both.  I'm glad Lewis has some competition.  I wish it were just about anyone other than Max.  I'd be delighted if both decided to retire after this season and pursue dreams of rock stardom or something. 

King_Creole_LesMiles_medium.gif

• Haha 2

I'm neither a Max or Lewis fan, but I'm rooting like hell for Max to win.  I can't root for the 800# Gorilla, whether that's Lebron or ARod or Brady, so while I have immense respect for Lewis, I am always hoping he fails.  I simply want to see someone else win the title.  

Because I root for chaos, especially in F1 where so many sticks are so far up so many asses, I am particularly hoping for Max to take Lewis out Senna/Prost style on Lap 1 in Abu Dhabi, just to see the heads explode all over the internet.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Agreed.  I'd much rather see Danny, Lando, Leclerc, Sainz, Gasly, Alonso battle it out.  They are all far more likeable

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Mittens said:

I'm neither a Max or Lewis fan, but I'm rooting like hell for Max to win.  I can't root for the 800# Gorilla, whether that's Lebron or ARod or Brady, so while I have immense respect for Lewis, I am always hoping he fails.  I simply want to see someone else win the title.  

Because I root for chaos, especially in F1 where so many sticks are so far up so many asses, I am particularly hoping for Max to take Lewis out Senna/Prost style on Lap 1 in Abu Dhabi, just to see the heads explode all over the internet.  

DAAAAAAMN.  That's cold.

I, on the other hand, enjoy watching them race wheel-to-wheel.

So I'm hoping they take each other out on the final turn of the final lap. ;)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

So how many of you Max fans love Max vs how many hate Lewis and are glad he has legitimate competition for the first time in a long time?  I suspect a lot of it is the latter.  Max is a prickly dude.  He makes himself hard to like.

I'm an everyone fan except for Lewis. Well, there are some that I just don't think about (Stroll, Mazepin, Giovinazzi). Rooting for Max in the championship by default, but I do like him. I like that he is has no qualms about speaking his mind and isn't always so careful with what he says. Kimi is universally loved for the same reasons. (Disclaimer, I also like Nick Saban.) To boot, he is a hell of a driver. That move on the restart to pass Hamilton and Ocon in Saudi Arabia? Who else could pull that off?

I think Lewis is obviously an amazing driver. Tons and tons of respect for what he can do in a car. It's flat-out amazing. The sport won't be the same when he is gone. I just don't like him.

Seems very whiny in the car, and a PR robot out of the car. It seems like he always plays up how difficult everything is and how somehow through it all, he came out victorious. 'Oh my god, my tires are dead!' followed by fastest lap. 

The other day when he made the comment about "if Perez is behind you, then you know the car is quick" and then immediately turned around and "clarified." You're 7-time champion, you don't have to be a weenie about hurting someone's feelings. His fake Instagram photos of sleeping with his dog. Angela holding his umbrella and hair ties. Talking about how he's so exhausted due to long COVID and then zipping off to the Met Gala in between races. Tax-dodging that's uncovered in the Panama Papers.

I'm an everyone fan except for Lewis. Well, there are some that I just don't think about (Stroll, Mazepin, Giovinazzi). Rooting for Max in the championship by default, but I do like him. I like that he is has no qualms about speaking his mind and isn't always so careful with what he says. Kimi is universally loved for the same reasons. (Disclaimer, I also like Nick Saban.) To boot, he is a hell of a driver. That move on the restart to pass Hamilton and Ocon in Saudi Arabia? Who else could pull that off?
I think Lewis is obviously an amazing driver. Tons and tons of respect for what he can do in a car. It's flat-out amazing. The sport won't be the same when he is gone. I just don't like him.
Seems very whiny in the car, and a PR robot out of the car. It seems like he always plays up how difficult everything is and how somehow through it all, he came out victorious. 'Oh my god, my tires are dead!' followed by fastest lap. 
The other day when he made the comment about "if Perez is behind you, then you know the car is quick" and then immediately turned around and "clarified." You're 7-time champion, you don't have to be a weenie about hurting someone's feelings. His fake Instagram photos of sleeping with his dog. Angela holding his umbrella and hair ties. Talking about how he's so exhausted due to long COVID and then zipping off to the Met Gala in between races. Tax-dodging that's uncovered in the Panama Papers.

Daniel Riccardo could pull that off and has many times and is much cleaner. Max is a muppet.

3 minutes ago, elfenix said:

^^ i've run into brits that cannot pull for hamilton due to his tax dodging. 

of course all these fuckers live in monaco in order to tax dodge

Yeah, Max lives in Monaco, too, for anyone looking to get after Lewis about the taxes.  So does Leclerc (although he's from there), Danny, Lando is moving there, I know Albon has an apartment there.  Think Bottas is there, too.  Just about all the top F1 drivers live there or in another tax haven.  Alonso is in Switzerland, I believe.  Not sure about Seb.

12 minutes ago, elfenix said:

^^ i've run into brits that cannot pull for hamilton due to his tax dodging. 

of course all these fuckers live in monaco in order to tax dodge

Yeah there are surprising numbers of Brits who can't stand the guy, for various reasons.

BTW they don't all live there. Alonso, for example, has made a point of holding Asturian residence to pay taxes there. It cost him $80M right off the bat when he moved back to Oviedo from Switzerland.

Edited by wood

8 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, Max lives in Monaco, too, for anyone looking to get after Lewis about the taxes.  So does Leclerc (although he's from there), Danny, Lando is moving there, I know Albon has an apartment there.  Think Bottas is there, too.  Just about all the top F1 drivers live there or in another tax haven.  Alonso is in Switzerland, I believe.  Not sure about Seb.

Alonso moved back to Spain 8-10 years ago.

30 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Pretty much this, and yeah his instagram is pretty priceless, esp all the photos of him posing with a snowboard (or surfboard, etc), looking at the slopes or waves but not actually riding, posting pics of his private jet while lamenting the horrible way the rest of us have been treating the planet. And yeah, the tax dodging doesn't end with him living in Monaco.

8 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

He was always at his house in Switzerland on his Amazon Prime show.  That's where he spent lockdown last year.

Welp, he's an Asturian resident, paying huge taxes there and running his youth karting academy.Spending time in Switzerland isn't changing that. If I had that option, I'd surely be doing the same thing. Like he said when he changed residence back to Spain & had to pay $80M in taxes as a result, "I'm not poor. I'm just a bit less rich."

• Hook 'Em 1

If anyone is wondering who lives where, here's a recently updated list from reddit...

With Lando Norris move to Monaco, this is the updated list of F1 drivers' residence

Monaco
  • Charles Leclerc*

• Max Verstappen

• Lewis Hamilton

• Valtteri Bottas

• Daniel Ricciardo

• Antonio Giovinazzi

• Lando Norris

Switzerland

• Esteban Ocon

• Sebastian Vettel

• Lance Stroll

• Kimi Raikkonen

• Mick Schumacher**

Spain

• Carlos Sainz

• Fernando Alonso

• Sergio Perez

Great Britain

• George Russell***

• Nicolas Latifi

Italy

• Pierre Gasly

• Yuki Tsunoda

Poland

• Robert Kubica

Russia (?)

• Nikita Mazepin

* Charles Leclerc was born in Monaco, and has lived there his whole life.
** Mick Schumacher was born in Switzerland, and has lived there his whole life.
*** George Russell has expressed his interest in living in Monaco. But he still has no home there, afaik.

Edit: updated to reflect the current residence of several drivers. Thanks for the info.

10 minutes ago, G650 said:

54707003.jpg

I knew you were alright

Basically if you are a bad ass at your sport and don't give a shit about how you're "perceived" by the media, then I am a fan. To me, Saban fits that perfectly. 

spacer.png

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

They both knew Max had to give the spot back and they both knew he wanted to do it right before a DRS detection zone.  Lewis didn't want to retake the spot right there.  Again, that's all gamesmanship, which I love.  The brake check, not so much.

If that's true, then Hamilton knew what was happening and was "not confused" as he stated?

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, pied06 said:

If that's true, then Hamilton knew what was happening and was "not confused" as he stated?

Yeah Lewis claiming confusion about it to reporters is a good example of the way Nico said Lewis would use the press to gather support.

• Hook 'Em 1