Formula 1 2021

wood

51 minutes ago, utee94 said:

So I'm hoping they take each other out on the final turn of the final lap. ;)

If it's ruled both crash into each other intentionally, does that mean both are DQ'd from the championship and Bottas wins the title? Sign me up for that just. And Kimi somehow winding up on the podium, however unlikely.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, Chewbacca said:

That's what I think happened.  I don't think he's ever said anything other than he was confused.  

I find it hard to believe the 7 time world champion's first reaction to someone slowing down in front of them is to not try to pass them.  That is literally his job.  He doesn't wait for instructions to overtake anyone at any other time.  

The most logical explanation to me, is that he was not doing so to create an advantage (or decrease Max's potential advantage) by not passing at that point.  In fact, that's what the statement said.  To say "oh I'm just confused" is silly.

"Whilst accepting that the driver of Car 44 could have overtaken Car 33 when that car first slowed, we understand why he (and the driver of Car 33) did not wish to be the first to cross the DRS [line]. However, the sudden braking by the driver of Car 33 was determined by the Stewards to be erratic and hence the predominant cause of the collision and hence the standard penalty of 10 seconds for this type of incident, is imposed."

• Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

The guy who stands up for human rights in Saudi Arabia is a PR robot? I don’t get that one at all.

Yeah, that was a head scratcher. Of all the criticisms of Hamilton, this one is way off base. He puts himself out there way more than any other driver.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

The guy who stands up for human rights in Saudi Arabia is a PR robot? I don’t get that one at all.

Yeah, this kind of thing is what's brought me around from strongly disliking Lewis. My opinion of him started changing last summer during the George Floyd protests, and after reading a pretty solid and personal (though I'm sure still very carefully cultivated) interview with him

I was originally still rooting for Max (or, more accurately, someone new) at the start of this season, but as his cuntishness is still in its ascendancy while Lewis's is somewhat declining this season, my rooting interests have changed. 

I think some people find the fact that Lewis is so public about his social causes, to be precisely why some folks refer to him as a PR robot. He appears to be reasonably well-coached by his handlers, he says a lot of the right things, but his actions don't always follow.  As has been pointed out already, the fact that he makes public statements about how we as a society need to be more environmentally responsible, while simultaneously making his fortune in unquestionably THE LEAST environmentally responsible sport on the planet, and also  jet-setting about the globe on private planes in his personal life, is one prime example of how he talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk. 

I'm not overly bothered by this kind of thing, it's pretty common among the rich and famous to talk down to the lowly public and instruct us all how we should be living, all while doing the opposite, and if I let it bother me every time it happened I'd be a pretty miserable person.  But it's certainly one factor which leads people to call him a PR robot, and I personally find him to be a bit smarmy and disingenuous.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, utee94 said:

He appears to be reasonably well-coached by his handlers, he says a lot of the right things, but his actions don't always follow. 

I don't know about that. I'm sure handlers would have him be basically opposite of what he is. I'm honestly still fairly surprised The Kingdom let him race with a rainbow helmet.

55 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Yeah, I can see that. Perhaps that wasn't the right wording. I just feel like he tries to come across as saying the perfect thing to try to make everyone happy. Seems disingenuous to me.

Regarding SA and human rights, while he said a couple of pointed things, most of what I saw was very subdued. Still, he did say more than anyone not named Vettel. I feel that refusing the trophy would have been a baller move. Come in, win the race, refuse the trophy.

9 minutes ago, G650 said:

I don't know about that. I'm sure handlers would have him be basically opposite of what he is. I'm honestly still fairly surprised The Kingdom let him race with a rainbow helmet.

I assume he has handlers telling him what to say, because otherwise I'd expect his actions to reflect his words a lot more closely.  I suppose he might not have anyone telling him what to say, and is ignoring and contradicting his public statements, all on his own.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, I can see that. Perhaps that wasn't the right wording. I just feel like he tries to come across as saying the perfect thing to try to make everyone happy. Seems disingenuous to me.
Regarding SA and human rights, while he said a couple of pointed things, most of what I saw was very subdued. Still, he did say more than anyone not named Vettel. I feel that refusing the trophy would have been a baller move. Come in, win the race, refuse the trophy.

You’re right he could do a lot more. Refusing the trophy would have been epic. Difficult in that particular moment, though.

I’ve mentioned this before, but I really do wonder how much the Ron Dennis years has shaped how Lewis behaves. Sometimes it seems like he’s caught between two minds. I’ve also mentioned this before but I’ve personally seen him more at ease when interacting with regular fans at a mall than at any time while on camera.

1 hour ago, pied06 said:

I find it hard to believe the 7 time world champion's first reaction to someone slowing down in front of them is to not try to pass them.  That is literally his job.  He doesn't wait for instructions to overtake anyone at any other time.  

The most logical explanation to me, is that he was not doing so to create an advantage (or decrease Max's potential advantage) by not passing at that point.  In fact, that's what the statement said.  To say "oh I'm just confused" is silly.

"Whilst accepting that the driver of Car 44 could have overtaken Car 33 when that car first slowed, we understand why he (and the driver of Car 33) did not wish to be the first to cross the DRS [line]. However, the sudden braking by the driver of Car 33 was determined by the Stewards to be erratic and hence the predominant cause of the collision and hence the standard penalty of 10 seconds for this type of incident, is imposed."

Yep. His claim of 'confusion' is absolutely ludicrous. He knew what Max was doing. He's done it before, himself, for years.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

I think some people find the fact that Lewis is so public about his social causes, to be precisely why some folks refer to him as a PR robot. He appears to be reasonably well-coached by his handlers, he says a lot of the right things, but his actions don't always follow.  As has been pointed out already, the fact that he makes public statements about how we as a society need to be more environmentally responsible, while simultaneously making his fortune in unquestionably THE LEAST environmentally responsible sport on the planet, and also  jet-setting about the globe on private planes in his personal life, is one prime example of how he talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk. 

I'm not overly bothered by this kind of thing, it's pretty common among the rich and famous to talk down to the lowly public and instruct us all how we should be living, all while doing the opposite, and if I let it bother me every time it happened I'd be a pretty miserable person.  But it's certainly one factor which leads people to call him a PR robot, and I personally find him to be a bit smarmy and disingenuous.

Beat me to it (again).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

I think some people find the fact that Lewis is so public about his social causes, to be precisely why some folks refer to him as a PR robot. He appears to be reasonably well-coached by his handlers, he says a lot of the right things, but his actions don't always follow. 

Probably my least favorite thing about F1 is the unique culture where each drivers PR person is almost literally attached to their hip. 

If theyre not in the car, theyre leashed within 3 ft of their lady.

Some people will still shoot off the cuff (kimi, etc), but its so strange how coddled and muffled these athletes are compared to almost all others. 

31 minutes ago, wood said:

Beat me to it (again).

I'm actually genuinely curious what things you guys are thinking he says but doesn't do. I've basically followed @Prepuce of Doomtrajectory where I used to basically consider him a spoiled brat to the past couple years I've gotten grudging respect for what he has done and the things he has taken a stand on. He is pretty clearly a much more mature and integrated personality now than even three or four years ago.

I'm not sure I could ever really be a fan, but I don't actively hate on him anymore at least.

24 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Probably my least favorite thing about F1 is the unique culture where each drivers PR person is almost literally attached to their hip. 

If theyre not in the car, theyre leashed within 3 ft of their lady.

Some people will still shoot off the cuff (kimi, etc), but its so strange how coddled and muffled these athletes are compared to almost all others. 

Kimi is the only driver in the past two decades who isn't a robot. Long live Kimi.

I miss Eddie Irvine.

Edited by G650
  • Hook 'Em 1

This will be interesting if Max torpedos Hamilton.

"29.4 Article 12.4.5 'For all the FIA Championships, cups, challenges, trophies or series, the stewards may also decide to impose the following penalties: Suspension for one or more Competitions, withdrawal of points for the Championship, cup, challenge, trophy, series.'

Stewards pick the winner.

• Hook 'Em 1

This will be interesting if Max torpedos Hamilton.

"29.4 Article 12.4.5 'For all the FIA Championships, cups, challenges, trophies or series, the stewards may also decide to impose the following penalties: Suspension for one or more Competitions, withdrawal of points for the Championship, cup, challenge, trophy, series.'

Stewards pick the winner.
Parting gift for Bottas on his way out!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, G650 said:

I'm actually genuinely curious what things you guys are thinking he says but doesn't do.

Off the top of my head...

- Says meat production is killing the planet/atmosphere, but flies around the world with his dogs in his own private jet; apparently even just the dogs from time to time

- Claims he's selling his private jet for environmental reasons (really it was because of the tax scandal), then continues to fly private, just not in his own jet

- Claims he'll only drive his Merc & Smart electric cars, then is spotted less than a year later driving around in Monaco and LA in some of the many supercars he owns

- Has his supercars hauled on his diesel flatbed to and from the places he drives them, to keep the mileage down

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Kimi is the only driver in the past two decades who isn't a robot. Long live Kimi.

Nah. Outspoken guys, off the top of my head, in just the last 10 years ... Max, Ricciardo, Fernando, Rosberg, Webber, Yuki, Lando (definitely not robotic in previous years & not really now, either), Vettel, Schumi, KMag, Massa, Maldonado, Sutil, Palmer, Vergne, Schumi.

44 minutes ago, wood said:

- Says meat production is killing the planet/atmosphere, but flies around the world with his dogs in his own private jet; apparently even just the dogs from time to time

- Claims he's selling his private jet for environmental reasons (really it was because of the tax scandal), then continues to fly private, just not in his own jet

- Claims he'll only drive his Merc & Smart electric cars, then is spotted less than a year later driving around in Monaco and LA in some of the many supercars he owns

- Has his supercars hauled on his diesel flatbed to and from the places he drives them, to keep the mileage down

Did LH kill your dog or something? Has to be something else worth talking about before the biggest GP in recent memory. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, vicerous said:

Did LH kill your dog or something? Has to be something else worth talking about before the biggest GP in recent memory. 

I just answered the question. Do you have a problem with that? All that shit happened. I didn't make it up.

If you think there's something interesting to talk about, then bring it up. 

Edited by wood

13 minutes ago, wood said:

I just answered the question. Do you have a problem with that? All that shit happened. I didn't make it up.

If you think there's something interesting to talk about, then bring it up. 

Just surprised to see you so wrapped up in all the LH hate is all. You used to be more measured in your commentary. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vicerous said:

Just surprised to see you so wrapped up in all the LH hate is all. You used to be more measured in your commentary. 

It's not hate. Just telling it like it is. Do you have a problem with other drivers getting 'hate' here? I didn't start the trend. I used to keep my mouth shut re: Lewis because I knew some people liked him & there was very little shit-talking of drivers. That changed, so I did, too.

8 hours ago, wood said:

Nah. Outspoken guys, off the top of my head, in just the last 10 years ... Max, Ricciardo, Fernando, Rosberg, Webber, Yuki, Lando (definitely not robotic in previous years & not really now, either), Vettel, Schumi, KMag, Massa, Maldonado, Sutil, Palmer, Vergne, Schumi.

Dude you just named a list of automatons

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wood said:

Well, the first point he is totally correct on, meat production is a mega problem. And how you detailed it basically is underlining what I'm saying about his evolution the past few years, he's gone from flying his dog privately to selling his plane and hopefully minimizing his impact even more in the future. I've actually wrestled a lot with the ethics of flying private myself a lot this year. I have no problem going commercial but have a family that isn't physically really able anymore so we charter for our trips south. It's been weighing on me, and I'm not sure if we get the balance right. Hopefully they come up with electric planes or something. At any rate, your position is basically you are not allowed to point out obvious societal needs if you have ever done anything polluting, which is obviously absurd.

The last item actually is good. Those diesels are much better than a supercar motor running. At least until we get some good electric supercars. I really want to trade my DBX in for a Vahalla, but not sure it's quite there yet.

• Like 1

Well, the first point he is totally correct on, meat production is a mega problem. And how you detailed it basically is underlining what I'm saying about his evolution the past few years, he's gone from flying his dog privately to selling his plane and hopefully minimizing his impact even more in the future. I've actually wrestled a lot with the ethics of flying private myself a lot this year. I have no problem going commercial but have a family that isn't physically really able anymore so we charter for our trips south. It's been weighing on me, and I'm not sure if we get the balance right. Hopefully they come up with electric planes or something. At any rate, your position is basically you are not allowed to point out obvious societal needs if you have ever done anything polluting, which is obviously absurd.

The last item actually is good. Those diesels are much better than a supercar motor running. At least until we get some good electric supercars. I really want to trade my DBX in for a Vahalla, but not sure it's quite there yet.

The expectation of perfectionism is unreal to me. Never mind the work he does off the track. Wood neglected to bring up he’s vegan and does not sway from that. I guess that doesn’t fit the narrative.

10 hours ago, wood said:

to be 100% fair if i had a net worth of almost $300m i too would do all of these things.

14 hours ago, G650 said:

14 minutes ago, NoName said:

i think it's one thing if it's Lewis Hamilton vs Latifi or Mazepin

I don't think they really had a choice, even it it was Maz or Latifi.  When you're attempting whitewash your country's appalling human rights record through sport, not allowing someone to advocate for human rights seems counterproductive.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, wood said:

Tsunoda.  Boy, if they'd take the muzzle off of him would we hear some interesting interviews.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, G650 said:

The level of nonchalant about flying private planes for "our trips south"... I'm a bit jealous.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Some ire as Sky Sports put out a "Merry Christmas" promo that features Max sliding into the barriers at Silverstone.

https://streamable.com/zvsmut

All of their adverts have changed to the Merry Christmas fade out, including the one where Max crashed Hamilton out in Monza. 

So what do Schumacher and Mazepin feel when racing during the weekend?

Is the adrenaline pumping at the start? Do they just feel like "welp, let's go drive around for a while until the back end slides out"? Do they have goals of passing anyone? Just seems like all of the excitement would be taken out of it. Finish all sessions last and typically not even be close. Do that for 23 weekends and then call it a season. 

27 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

So what do Schumacher and Mazepin feel when racing during the weekend?

Is the adrenaline pumping at the start? Do they just feel like "welp, let's go drive around for a while until the back end slides out"? Do they have goals of passing anyone? Just seems like all of the excitement would be taken out of it. Finish all sessions last and typically not even be close. Do that for 23 weekends and then call it a season. 

Pretty much, keep your nose clean and hope that a higher team sees your consistency. Not unlike the Minardi days of the 2000's.