Formula 1 2021

wood

15 hours ago, Amos Moses said:

There’s gamesmanship and then there’s erratic, cuntish, borderline dangerous driving. Both contenders are definitely ramping up the gamesmanship. The thing is Max doesn’t need to drive like a cunt … his car is plenty fast and he has elite driving skills. Abu Dhabi should be a track that neutralizes the particular distinct advantages of each car at different sectors of the track. Hopefully they allow that to dominate the racing action and see what results.

Exactly.  The gamesmanship is fantastic.  Just the little needles and prods to get under each others' skin.  Just keep the dangerous shit out of it and this weekend should be great.  I'm sad this year is coming to an end, although I'm excited for the new cars next year.  Shake things up a bit (or a lot).

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Like 1

Picked a good season to start following.  Lots of unique things to the sport and lots that are pretty much the same(mostly fan stuff).

had to listen to the broadcast Sunday and realized (to me) how much the commentary means.  The track is so big and so much going on, you really can't tell what is going if you're just watching with no audio, unlike a football/soccer/baseball game.  Wasn't planned but worked out ok.  Had to go back and watch a bunch as I was distracted.  

Good times, can't wait until Sunday.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Exactly.  The gamesmanship is fantastic.  Just the little needles and prods to get under each others' skin.  Just keep the dangerous shit out of it and this weekend should be great.  I'm sad this year is coming to an end, although I'm excited for the new cars next year.  Shake things up a bit (or a lot).

Narrator: They won't.

:)

Just kidding-- I hope.

9 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Despite Horner's comments today, I'll be surprised if Lewis finishes the race on Sunday.  There's too much for Max to gain by making sure that doesn't happen.  And Lewis has the faster car right now.

Missed it; what did he say?

I did see Toto's comments: "And I don’t think the championship has deserved a result that’s influenced by a collision so I very much in that case trust the self-regulating system… the quicker car with the quicker driver should win the championship and not by taking each other off."

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.its-all-or-nothing-in-abu-dhabi-says-wolff-as-he-trusts-hamilton-verstappen.5fxWMxLcMBHe2Fn5sGy3Tu.html

Edited by Dutch

3 minutes ago, Dutch said:

I did see Toto's comments: "And I don’t think the championship has deserved a result that’s influenced by a collision so I very much in that case trust the self-regulating system… the quicker car with the quicker driver should win the championship and not by taking each other off."

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.its-all-or-nothing-in-abu-dhabi-says-wolff-as-he-trusts-hamilton-verstappen.5fxWMxLcMBHe2Fn5sGy3Tu.html

He said something along the lines of Max is the better driver and he doesn't need to crash Lewis to win.  Max may be the better driver at this point, but Lewis has the faster car.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Dutch said:

OK, cool. Hookem. So then let's throw out Lewis's P1 & P2 points from GB & Hungary, and Max's P9 from Hungary. I wonder how the championship looks then?

6 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Why the fuck is the last race of the season in the fucking middle east???

#WeRaceForMoney

The champion will surely enjoy a tepid sprinkle of rose water on the podium over the spraying of champagne. 

Edited by Dutch

17 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Why the fuck is the last race of the season in the fucking middle east???

13 minutes ago, Dutch said:

#WeRaceForMoney

The champion will surely enjoy a tepid sprinkle of rose water on the podium over the spraying of champagne. 

13 minutes ago, elfenix said:

nearly no possibility of completely shit weather

All of this for sure.  But also, the WDC hasn't been decided in the final race of the season in something like a decade I think?  And so it's recently been a bit of a throwaway race.  Where better to hold a throwaway race, than in the middle east?

Edited by utee94

Yas Marina is a cool circuit at least and the changing from daylight to nighttime is unique. 

The best part about F1 offseason is that it's only two months long. We crown the champion, silly season has its climax, livery reveals, testing, Melbourne (usually). If you have to have to endure one, the F1 offseason is pretty okay. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

If Max crashes Lewis out and there's even a whiff of the incident being his usual yield or crash tactic, exclude him from the season classification. People need a reminder that shit is not welcome. 

Agree with that, as long as it works both ways...

spacer.png

My prediction is that LH wins this race going away. I honestly feel like it won't be close. He's just so damn good and that car has been something else the past several races. I just don't think Red Bull has an answer.

Hamilton's consistency is flat out amazing. Hardly ever any DNF. There was one race (maybe last year?) where he went off into the gravel. I thought he was done. Where most drivers would smash the gas and dig a hole, he just gently and slowly put the gas down and was able to get out of it and go on to finish. And then there is the luck factor. Could have been his wheel nut that doesn't come off instead of Bottas, but it wasn't. In Silverstone last year, his tire could have blown half a lap earlier and he is DNF. Instead, he is able to drive to win with a blown tire for half a lap. When he crashed into Max last week, could have meant a pit stop and broken wing, but it wasn't.

Some of that luck is definitely earned (e.g. being so far ahead of the field to where a blown tire doesn't mean he loses), but it's uncanny.

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

It should be pointed out again that the only reason Hamilton can still win is because he and Bottas took turns wrecking Max.

Wasn't the Bottas wreck just a racing incident? Seem to remember it was wet and he slid into him. Sucks, but it happens.

5 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Of course it was.  Only RB fanbois think otherwise.  

Nevermind. Googled it an ge got dinged by the FIA for it. 

"Immediately after the start, in the braking zone to turn 1, car 77 collided with the rear of car 4. The Stewards took into consideration the track conditions however the driver of car 77 was fully to blame for the collision."

RB fanboi Toto even apologized for it after the race.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

4 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

My prediction is that LH wins this race going away. I honestly feel like it won't be close. He's just so damn good and that car has been something else the past several races. I just don't think Red Bull has an answer.

Hamilton's consistency is flat out amazing. Hardly ever any DNF. There was one race (maybe last year?) where he went off into the gravel. I thought he was done. Where most drivers would smash the gas and dig a hole, he just gently and slowly put the gas down and was able to get out of it and go on to finish. And then there is the luck factor. Could have been his wheel nut that doesn't come off instead of Bottas, but it wasn't. In Silverstone last year, his tire could have blown half a lap earlier and he is DNF. Instead, he is able to drive to win with a blown tire for half a lap. When he crashed into Max last week, could have meant a pit stop and broken wing, but it wasn't.

Some of that luck is definitely earned (e.g. being so far ahead of the field to where a blown tire doesn't mean he loses), but it's uncanny.

Yeah he's kind of a witch. Check out this sequence - you'll have to click to watch it on youtube but my link should take you to the timestamp. Otherwise you can skip to 05:09. 

1 minute ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

"Immediately after the start, in the braking zone to turn 1, car 77 collided with the rear of car 4. The Stewards took into consideration the track conditions however the
driver of car 77 was fully to blame for the collision."

Lulz.  Yeah. I'm sure that was a really sincere apology for Operation Bottasnado... err, I mean, that terrible accident.

"Gee, I'm really sorry your mom blew up, Ricky."

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Only one driver has an incentive to crash the other out. I agree with your sentiment but the fact is Max has a responsibility to drive with the talent everyone knows he has this weekend.

If the roles were reversed, and LH was ahead on countback and in the slower car after three loses on the bounce, are we sure he'd race 100% clean? 

They're both cunty* at times.

*Obligatory:

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

That's a fair question. I remember him backing Nico up at Abu Dhabi so that whoever was behind Nico could get a chance to pass and Lewis would get the points he needed to win the WDC. It didn't work. Is that dirty? Probably. Is it putting another driver in the position of don't try to pass or crash? No. I'll give Lewis the benefit of the doubt. I've been watching Max do this shit his entire career. He's a great frontrunner and in the wet he's a genius, but when it comes to racing and playing nice with others he's got a deserved reputation.  

Also positive rep for Paulie Walnuts. 

Edited by ConferenceRoom
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

"Immediately after the start, in the braking zone to turn 1, car 77 collided with the rear of car 4. The Stewards took into consideration the track conditions however the driver of car 77 was fully to blame for the collision."

It was not intentional.  Bottas is not going to ruin his race (he qualified P2) to take Max out for Lewis, taking himself out in the process.

• Hook 'Em 2

It’d be cool if somebody other than Hamilton or Verstappen could win a championship. Not Mazepin, though. He seems like a douchebag. But nobody will ever have to worry about fucking Mazepin winning a Formula 1 championship. Or scoring a single point.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XYZ said:

It’d be cool if somebody other than Hamilton or Verstappen could win a championship. Not Mazepin, though. He seems like a douchebag. But nobody will ever have to worry about fucking Mazepin winning a Formula 1 championship. Or scoring a single point.

I've thought about if Bottas was 24 points behind and Max/Lewis took each other out. 

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

It should be pointed out again that the only reason Hamilton can still win is because he and Bottas took turns wrecking Max.

Yeah I just went and did the math on the hypothetical I posted above. With the points from those two races thrown out for both drivers it would be ...

Max 367.5

Lewis 326.5

I think RBR would also probably also be ahead in the WCC, but I haven't done that math.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Lulz.  Yeah. I'm sure that was a really sincere apology for Operation Bottasnado... err, I mean, that terrible accident.

"Gee, I'm really sorry your mom blew up, Ricky."

Bottas is an exceptional wingman, right to the end.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

It was not intentional.  Bottas is not going to ruin his race (he qualified P2) to take Max out for Lewis, taking himself out in the process.

No, he just sucks. Doesn't change the fact that Max would have already clinched the WDC had he not been taken out by Mercs two races in a row, in which Lewis scored 43 points.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, wood said:

No, he just sucks. Doesn't change the fact that Max would have already clinched the WDC had he not been taken out by Mercs two races in a row, in which Lewis scored 43 points.

Man, imagine if he didn't have the brake failure in Baku. This championship would already be over. It's one of the rare instances where Hamilton had bad luck. Even then, it still turned out to his benefit since Max would have been at least +6 in that race if the tire hadn't blow out.

2 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Yeah he's kind of a witch. Check out this sequence - you'll have to click to watch it on youtube but my link should take you to the timestamp. Otherwise you can skip to 05:09. 

safety car having to scoot out of the way is nuts.  kinda wonder why there isn't an all drivers stop immediately flag.