Formula 1 2021

wood

5 minutes ago, wood said:

LOL. No. Some of those guys are widely noted for being outspoken, 'abrasive', etc. If you think they're automotons, you need to pay closer attention.

Yeah, in general I find the comments/interviews from F1 drivers refreshingly open. After watching "coach speak" in football, it's night and day. Teams will say that they are behind others or that someone messed up.

5 hours ago, G650 said:

Well, the first point he is totally correct on, meat production is a mega problem. And how you detailed it basically is underlining what I'm saying about his evolution the past few years, he's gone from flying his dog privately to selling his plane and hopefully minimizing his impact even more in the future. I've actually wrestled a lot with the ethics of flying private myself a lot this year. I have no problem going commercial but have a family that isn't physically really able anymore so we charter for our trips south. It's been weighing on me, and I'm not sure if we get the balance right. Hopefully they come up with electric planes or something. At any rate, your position is basically you are not allowed to point out obvious societal needs if you have ever done anything polluting, which is obviously absurd.

The last item actually is good. Those diesels are much better than a supercar motor running. At least until we get some good electric supercars. I really want to trade my DBX in for a Vahalla, but not sure it's quite there yet.

It seems like you didn't even read the whole post before responding. He may be right about meat production, but he isn't minimizing his impact. He's still flying private, just not in his own plane. That's not minimizing your footprint. So in your case, you're struggling with the occasional charter because of family health issues, while Lewis is preaching about the environment and taking 200+ long distance private flights a year. There are other guys in the paddock who almost never talk about their beliefs but have done far more than Lewis has with, for example, the environment.

And I'm pretty sure the typical late-model supercar runs cleaner than the typical diesel hauler.

Edited by wood

4 hours ago, NoName said:

to be 100% fair if i had a net worth of almost $300m i too would do all of these things.

Sure! I probably would, too. There is zero doubt that I'd at least have a mouth-watering stable of cars and a jetshare membership. But I (and probably you, too) wouldn't be preaching to others about living cleaner, about what they eat, etc.

Edited by wood

4 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

The expectation of perfectionism is unreal to me. Never mind the work he does off the track. Wood neglected to bring up he’s vegan and does not sway from that. I guess that doesn’t fit the narrative.

Nobody said they expect Lewis to be perfect. Straw man much? I'm not perfect either. I'm also not a raging hypocrite.

Sure, he's vegan, and that's great. For him. I didn't realize I was supposed to list things about Lewis that don't bother me. The problem is when he tells everyone else to stop killing the planet, etc, etc, when his footprint is far greater than almost any of the people he's preaching to. Lewis is like the 'Born-again Christian', who's been a huge sinner his whole life, 'finds God', then starts telling everyone else how evil they are (while still doing some of the shit he claims to have stopped doing).

It's funny how defensive you are about your boy. You have zero problem raking Max over the coals & that's fine. I haven't jumped in to defend his honor, but got damn, say anything about little LuLu and we're just "out to get him". LOL. The poor, precious baby. He's so abused.

Tell me about his other work off the track...I've heard about other F1 guys doing big things they don't play up, saying that the deed is much stronger than the word.  I see Lewis flying all over the place to Met Galas, fashion shows, all his different homes and resort destinations, etc. Posing for the camera, sitting on a surfboard in the water at sunset isn't going to save the world.

Edited by wood

26 minutes ago, wood said:

It seems like you didn't even read the whole post before responding. He may be right about meat production, but he isn't minimizing his impact. He's still flying private, just not in his own plane. That's not minimizing your footprint. So in your case, you're struggling with the occasional charter because of family health issues, while Lewis is preaching about the environment and taking 200+ long distance private flights a year. There are other guys in the paddock who almost never talk about their beliefs but have done far more than Lewis has with, for example, the environment.

And I'm pretty sure the typical late-model supercar runs cleaner than the typical diesel hauler.

I did read the whole post actually. What you are describing is a guys who's trajectory is clearly going towards more sustainability. Would I like to see him do more? Sure, but he has clearly changed quite a bit over the years. Remember I'm someone who disliked him to start with, there is no reason for me give him a hall pass. I see him doing legitimate things and being a great spokesman for critical issues we face. He is using his platform to bring awareness to a lot of issues and I applaud that, even more so because he started as a spoiled shit and has no incentive to change beside his own conscience.

I also reject that only someone as pure as driven snow can bring awareness to things like climate change. At any rate with Lewis I have barely heard him talking about emissions, it's like 99.9% social justice from what I've seen.

Plus, I can promise you a late model supercar is insanely more polluting than a new diesel. It's not even close. I have over 75 on and offroad diesels in my fleet right now and they are ridiculously efficient. A large (100,000 lb) excavator with a Tier 4 motor burns like 4 gallons an hour. My Aston Martin can't leave the driveway without burning 4 gallons.

2 minutes ago, G650 said:

I did read the whole post actually. What you are describing is a guys who's trajectory is clearly going towards more sustainability. Would I like to see him do more? Sure, but he has clearly changed quite a bit over the years. Remember I'm someone who disliked him to start with, there is no reason for me give him a hall pass. I see him doing legitimate things and being a great spokesman for critical issues we face. He is using his platform to bring awareness to a lot of issues and I applaud that, even more so because he started as a spoiled shit and has no incentive to change beside his own conscience.

I also reject that only someone as pure as driven snow can bring awareness to things like climate change. At any rate with Lewis I have barely heard him talking about emissions, it's like 99.9% social justice from what I've seen.

Plus, I can promise you a late model supercar is insanely more polluting than a new diesel. It's not even close. I have over 75 on and offroad diesels in my fleet right now and they are ridiculously efficient. A large (100,000 lb) excavator with a Tier 4 motor burns like 4 gallons an hour. My Aston Martin can't leave the driveway without burning 4 gallons.

I'd prefer you casually drop in more mentions of your Aston Martins and private jet travel. It's very impressive. You must be a very successful person who has accumulated great wealth.

3 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

The level of nonchalant about flying private planes for "our trips south"... I'm a bit jealous.

Yeah, it's certainly a massive privilege. I don't take any of it for granted.

It's funny though, there's been apparently a huge bout of people behaving badly lately because the demand for private jets has been through the roof and everyone is going apeshit if they can't get planes they want when they want. We were like goddamn that's some seriously first world fucking shit right there. What a spoiled group of assholes the world has become.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, G650 said:

I'm not talking about fuel economy. I'm talking about carbon output. But hell, I'll go with what you're saying. It doesn't line up with what I read it about it at the time, but it was a minor point that doesn't change anything in the big picture, either.

Whether his personal trajectory is going more toward sustainability is irrelevant, when he still flies private, all over the world, all the time, drives his supercars after claiming to only drive the electric (to save the world), etc. He's still virtue-signaling and being a raging hypocrite with that bullshit. And nobody said Lewis needs to be 100% pure to have a say. These days, anyone can have a say. But there's a difference between talking the talk and walking the walk. 

For example, one thing Lewis could easily do to help is to fly commercial. He'd be in First everywhere he goes, which would be 'living like a king' to most of us, and it would probably make the biggest possible impact on his footprint. But no. Lewis: 'Do as I say, not as I do'.

Edited by wood

1 hour ago, wood said:

I'm not talking about fuel economy. I'm talking about carbon output. But hell, I'll go with what you're saying. It doesn't line up with what I read it about it at the time, but it was a minor point that doesn't change anything in the big picture, either.

Whether his personal trajectory is going more toward sustainability is irrelevant, when he still flies private, all over the world, all the time, drives his supercars after claiming to only drive the electric (to save the world), etc. He's still virtue-signaling and being a raging hypocrite with that bullshit. And nobody said Lewis needs to be 100% pure to have a say. These days, anyone can have a say. But there's a difference between talking the talk and walking the walk. 

For example, one thing Lewis could easily do to help is to fly commercial. He'd be in First everywhere he goes, which would be 'living like a king' to most of us, and it would probably make the biggest possible impact on his footprint. But no. Lewis: 'Do as I say, not as I do'.

I think the bigger picture is that while you can say he's not 100% walking the walk in terms of climate change etc., it's probably a bit unfair to focus entirely on his individual carbon footprint while failing to mention the 30 million he's pledged towards diversity in the sport, for example. Virtue-signaling via handlers or not, that's a commitment that nobody else in the sport has come close to making and carries far more weight in my mind than a few charter flights. 

• Like 1

I'm interested as to when Sir Lewis Hamilton achieves sainthood. From many of the posters on this board, it looks to be a no-brainer. The only question is if he will be the first to achieve that status while still living. In my mind it goes:

Jesus Christ
Mother Teresa
Sir Lewis Hamilton

Although, I'm not sure if Mother Teresa could manage her tires as well as Lewis.

11 minutes ago, vicerous said:

I think the bigger picture is that while you can say he's not 100% walking the walk in terms of climate change etc., it's probably a bit unfair to focus entirely on his individual carbon footprint while failing to mention the 30 million he's pledged towards diversity in the sport, for example. Virtue-signaling via handlers or not, that's a commitment that nobody else in the sport has come close to making and carries far more weight in my mind than a few charter flights. 

I have no issue with his push for diversity in F1, but that's a different issue. His pledge and donation for diversity doesn't alter or lessen his utter hypocrisy regarding the environment. Or regarding his complaints about the environmental effects and cruelty of the meat industry - while wearing leather bomber jackets and calfskin boots. Not 100% walking the walk? He's not even in the ballpark. And it's not a few charter flights. It's hundreds annually.

Re: nobody else making a big commitment, others have, but you don't hear much about them. Alonso, for example, has dedicated an entire clothing line made of recycled bottles, with all profits going to an ocean pollution charity. He also donated 300,000 masks and 4,000 sets of PPE to healthcare workers early in the pandemic. He's heavily involved in UNICEF and numerous children's charities and health initiatives.10 years ago he created a foundation to promote road safety, which also donates money to Spanish food banks. You don't hear people talking about any of it, because he says very little about it, if anything, and he doesn't preach to others to do things he's not doing.

22 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I'm interested as to when Sir Lewis Hamilton achieves sainthood. From many of the posters on this board, it looks to be a no-brainer. The only question is if he will be the first to achieve that status while still living. In my mind it goes:

Jesus Christ
Mother Teresa
Sir Lewis Hamilton

Although, I'm not sure if Mother Teresa could manage her tires as well as Lewis.

FF5LIW2WQAEXOL4?format=jpg&name=4096x409

15 minutes ago, wood said:

I have no issue with his push for diversity in F1, but that's a different issue. His pledge and donation for diversity doesn't alter or lessen his utter hypocrisy regarding the environment. Or regarding his complaints about the environmental effects and cruelty of the meat industry - while wearing leather bomber jackets and calfskin boots. Not 100% walking the walk? He's not even in the ballpark. And it's not a few charter flights. It's hundreds annually.

Re: nobody else making a big commitment, others have, but you don't hear much about them. Alonso, for example, has dedicated an entire clothing line made of recycled bottles, with all profits going to an ocean pollution charity. He also donated 300,000 masks and 4,000 sets of PPE to healthcare workers early in the pandemic. He's heavily involved in UNICEF and numerous children's charities and health initiatives.10 years ago he created a foundation to promote road safety, which also donates money to Spanish food banks. You don't hear people talking about any of it, because he says very little about it, if anything, and he doesn't preach to others to do things he's not doing.

and this is why no one has gotten into The Good Place in 400 years

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dutch said:

Alpine embracing the meme is sort of awesome.

spacer.png

And, TBF, maybe El Plan is working...

Yeah they've been faster than expected lately on most circuits, esp power circuits. I think they've been trying some things they're working on for the 2022 car. They're being very guarded iin terms of optimism n their comments about it, but I think their confident about the package they've developed for 2022.

This Hamilton discussion has the same feel as the love/hate debate about Lebron. There are a lot of parallels. You have the race issue, the questions regarding the sincerity of their social activism, their place in the pantheon of greats in their respective sport, are they really the smartest guy in the room or are they just arrogant. If you’re a Lebron guy then you’re probably also a Hamilton guy. And visa versa. 

1 minute ago, TonyTexas said:

This Hamilton discussion has the same feel as the love/hate debate about Lebron. There are a lot of parallels. You have the race issue, the questions regarding the sincerity of their social activism, their place in the pantheon of greats in their respective sport, are they really the smartest guy in the room or are they just arrogant. If you’re a Lebron guy then you’re probably also a Hamilton guy. And visa versa. 

Have no real feelings about LBJ as I'm not a big basketball watcher.

I am amazed that he was heralded as "the chosen one" back in high school and has even surpassed that hype with all those eyes on him. That's amazing.

1 hour ago, wood said:

I have no issue with his push for diversity in F1, but that's a different issue.

To be honest, this is actually what I am thinking of with him. I haven't actually heard him say much about the other stuff people have raised here. I did know he was vegan though.

13 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I loathe LBJ.  Don't mind Lewis so much, although I'm not a big fan.

7 minutes ago, Amos Moses said:

Funny how this thread managed to veer off with gusto into earnest discussion about Lewis’ hypocrisies, virtue signaling, and SJW-ing after hand waving and dismissing Max’s shitass dangerous driving shenanigans the last several races. Fan bois gonna fan boi I guess.

So it's all good to talk about other drivers' shortcomings ... just not Lewis's. Got it.

1 minute ago, Amos Moses said:

Were there “others” discussed? I missed it.

Well, there was endless hammering on Max, some justified, some just stupid. That was fine. I don't remember a single person saying it shouldn't be discusssed. But now that someone's telling the truth about Saint Lewis's bullshit, a few of you have gotten your panties all in a wad. Priceless ... and predictable, when it comes to LuLu fanbois.

39 minutes ago, Amos Moses said:

Funny how this thread managed to veer off with gusto into earnest discussion about Lewis’ hypocrisies, virtue signaling, and SJW-ing after hand waving and dismissing Max’s shitass dangerous driving shenanigans the last several races. Fan bois gonna fan boi I guess.

There were like five pages of people hitting on Max, including the "fan bois" saying the brake-checking is wrong. What more do you want?

1 minute ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

There were like five pages of people hitting on Max, including the "fan bois" saying the brake-checking is wrong. What more do you want?

Right, and complaining about the topic veering toward Lewis is a little weird, too, since it veered that way largely because of my response to another poster asking why some of us don't care for Lewis.

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yeah, but come on. Mercedes sells a lot more units in China than in Saudi Arabia. What's he supposed to do?

I just thought it was kinda appropriate & funny given the question about the CCP, with Lewis honoring the Chinese flag with the same color hat. He did get a lot of heat iirc though, for another glowing tweet about China despite their Uighur repression.

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

I don't think they would necessarily match in fandom, but I understand what you mean.   I get the feeling with my limited exposure to F1 fans on here that I could maybe hide "Name A" and give the exact same facts and instead switch it to "Name B" (a different driver) and some people would spin it completely differently (point out only the negative and minimize the positive opposing viewpoint) or vice versa just because of the bias of which driver is being discussed.  And I see this with other sports too of course.  But I am enjoying this sport as very much a casual, no rooting interest for anyone really...just enjoying it.  Has a season ever been tied before going into a final race?  

18 minutes ago, G650 said:

The fan Boi talk is pretty amusing. I think there is like one Lewis fan tops on here maybe?

I’m a Lewis fan, but as with all professional athletes I don’t give much of a shit about their controversies, personal lives, who’s fuckin who and who’s gettin fat.  Entertain me on track.  I do want LH to take #8 then watch Max try to top it over the next ten years or so.

34 minutes ago, mackavelli said:

Can we get back to the race this weekend?

:cough:bullshit:cough:

Here's a pic I just found of the Merc on its long run today ...

main-qimg-0c2d93a96d4e278a198bfed0f52c72

... and a Giorgio Piola technical illustration of the configuration.

j0ddibndlfm21.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Edited by wood
  • Haha 1