Tell me about Nebraska

RollLeft

2 hours ago, Royalfan5 said:

Nebraska walk program slipped for a number of reasons. The Dakota schools moving up to FCS put a lot more scholarship money out there for kids that would have walked on at the same time as tuition increased. Out of the 29 in state kids that have made the NFL since 2004, 17 played out of state, mostly at Dakota schools or for Solich at Ohio.  Pelini especially just expected instate kids to walk on without much effort put into the program at the same time too hurt, especially since they weren’t committed to getting kids reps like Osborne did. Nebraska used to run multiple stations at practices with all the kids that got players a lot of work in.  Hudl being started in Lincoln also got a lot of film out on Nebraska kids that wasn’t happening before which sent more kids to different schools. 

To expand the Conneally deal more, they have one of the most well known Angus purebred ranches in the world. There’s a ton of money there. 

Sure there a lot of farmers Coop scholarships and such but those get used at any school in Nebraska too. I had Purina feed scholarships to Doane in Crete. I don’t think you can really act like something that a ton of boys and girls got in Nebraska made a big difference. 

Okay, I promise this will be my last comment on this county scholarship shitshow.

NDSU was the first of the Dakota schools to make the leap to FCS and the Great West Confrrence in 2004 before moving to Missouri Valley Conference in 2008. UND, USD and SDSU made the move to FCS a few years later. The number of football scholarships is increased incrementally along the way, but never up to the FBS level. NDSU raided (and continues to raid) Minnesota much much more than Nebraska.

The South Dakota schools recruit fairly equally from MN, IA, and NE, but they didn’t start getting those 2 star projects in any significant numbers until the last 7-8 years. They even dip into WI some.  I’m not sure where UND gets most of their regional OOS recruits. I’ll probably pay attention once they join the others in the Missouri Valley.

NU’s walk-on program collapsed almost 10 years before any of these schools could have had an serious impact.

It’s possible that Wyoming, CU,  ISU, and the Purple Wizard began grabbing a few in the late 90s, but I don’t know that for a fact.

Listen, I don’t begrudge NU for exploiting loopholes as I think most schools did the same, but on a smaller scale. They just took it to another level which created a competitive - many would say unfairly competitive  - advantage.  Schools in states with more than one D1 program would have a harder time exploiting those loopholes without the other instate schools crying foul.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

You also have to look at the sharp drop in kids playing football in Nebraska too. We’ve lost close a quarter of the football programs in the state the last 30 odd years. And the remaining don’t have nearly the participation either. There’s just not that many kids in Nebraska either. 

https://dataomaha.com/media/sports/high-schools/football/the-disappearance-of-high-school-football/

28 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

What’s he supposed to say.  They were unbelievably bad.

Scott is still saying around the 8:00 minute mark, "Guy's are either gonna have to figure out how to work hard & get it fixed, or we'll move on to the next guy"... 
That's a coaching issue, as the Huskers don't have some solid rotation of athletes, so you have to work with the skill sets the players have, for a chance to win...

Nebraska losing access to "athlete enhancement nutrition" & "partial qualifiers as team walk ons", is having as harsh an impact as Huskers leaving the XII...

NEBRASKA’S CROSSROADS COULD LEAD TO A DEAD END IF ADMINISTRATION DOESN’T FACE REALITY

Posted by Wendell Barnhouse | Sep 26, 2017 | TMG Guest Lecturers | 

Going into this, the 198th season of college football, these were the top 10 teams in terms of all-time victories: Michigan, Notre Dame, Texas, Nebraska, Ohio State, Alabama, Oklahoma, Penn State, Tennessee and USC.

Here’s that list, including the year of the last national championship won by those schools: Michigan (1997), Notre Dame (1988), Texas (2005), Nebraska (1997), Ohio State (2014), Alabama (2015), Oklahoma (2000), Penn State (1986), Tennessee (1998), USC (2004).

Of the team’s on The Drought List, only Notre Dame has more championships than Nebraska. The Huskers have won five titles and this is the 20th anniversary of the most recent. And most likely, the last.

https://tmgcollegesports.com/2017/09/26/nebraskas-crossroads-could-lead-to-a-dead-end-if-administration-doesnt-face-reality/

13 Husker football players on witness list in steroid trial

• JOSH SWARTZLANDER / Lincoln Journal Star
  •  
    • Aug 9, 2005

More than a dozen former and current Nebraska football players are on the prosecution's witness list in the steroid trafficking case against Levi Lewis, according to court documents.
But it's unclear what that means.

Prosecutors declined Tuesday to discuss the witness list.
And Brian Nunns, a former Nebraska offensive lineman whose name is on the list, said he didn't know anything about serving as a potential witness against Lewis.
"I have no idea," said Nunns, who owns and operates The Edge, a Lincoln health club. "All I know is what I've read in the paper."
Nunns said the three men arrested in June for alleged involvement in a steroid ring Lewis, Chad Case and Kenneth Thompson, all of Lincoln had been "in and out" of his gym

https://journalstar.com/news/husker-football-players-on-witness-list-in-steroid-trial/article_93e157fb-9b0f-5496-adbe-389ac1450410.html

• Like 1

On 9/23/2018 at 10:14 AM, kopp0e said:

Scott is still saying around the 8:00 minute mark, "Guy's are either gonna have to figure out how to work hard & get it fixed, or we'll move on to the next guy"... 
That's a coaching issue, as the Huskers don't have some solid rotation of athletes, so you have to work with the skill sets the players have, for a chance to win...

What he is finding out (which happens often when a new coach takes over a program) is there are a lot of guys that aren't willing to put in the work that is expected of them with the new coaching staff. It happens, the staff I am sure is tip toeing the fine line of playing the guys that give them the best chance to win vs. guys that are working their ass off and buying in. That is a slippery slope to deal with. 

That said, Frost from everything we have seen is a good coach, do I think that he gets them back to the Nebraska days of old that 99% of their fan-base expects him to? Fuck no but they can and should compete with Wisconsin and Iowa on a yearly basis to win the average Big Ten West. 

Most Nebraska fans probably won't ever want to admit this but there isn't a chance in hell that they will ever be what they once were. Just far too many things working against them the loopholes they took advantage of just aren't something that can happen in today's college football world. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

What he is finding out (which happens often when a new coach takes over a program) is there are a lot of guys that aren't willing to put in the work that is expected of them with the new coaching staff. It happens, the staff I am sure is tip toeing the fine line of playing the guys that give them the best chance to win vs. guys that are working their ass off and buying in. That is a slippery slope to deal with. 

That said, Frost from everything we have seen is a good coach, do I think that he gets them back to the Nebraska days of old that 99% of their fan-base expects him to? Fuck no but they can and should compete with Wisconsin and Iowa on a yearly basis to win the average Big Ten West. 

Most Nebraska fans probably won't ever want to admit this but there isn't a chance in hell that they will ever be what they once were. Just far too many things working against them the loopholes they took advantage of just aren't something that can happen in today's college football world. 

Agreed..!

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:34 AM, kopp0e said:

Nebraska losing access to "athlete enhancement nutrition" & "partial qualifiers as team walk ons", is having as harsh an impact as Huskers leaving the XII...

Agreed. Nebraska IIRC made its hay under Osbourne recruiting low character, "JC" guys that could get in under Big 8 rules. The XII 1 PQ rule hurt it more than anyone.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2018 at 2:18 PM, Royalfan5 said:

You also have to look at the sharp drop in kids playing football in Nebraska too. We’ve lost close a quarter of the football programs in the state the last 30 odd years. And the remaining don’t have nearly the participation either. There’s just not that many kids in Nebraska either. 

https://dataomaha.com/media/sports/high-schools/football/the-disappearance-of-high-school-football/

That’s interesting (no sarcasm) because SI wrote an article in the 90s about the drop off in HS football participation nationwide. I recall Texas being the only state with more than 1-in-10 participation rate (something crazy like 1-in-7), and Nebraska being noted for having a particularly high participation rate right at that 1-in-10 level. I wondered at the time if that was the truly of NU’s decade+ of success.

1 hour ago, JimmyHoffa said:

That CU loss was huge for them a few weeks ago.  They were so amped up for that game only to see CU win it going away after their FR QB went down.  They are right where we were a few years ago when Ash went down.

43 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

That’s interesting (no sarcasm) because SI wrote an article in the 90s about the drop off in HS football participation nationwide. I recall Texas being the only state with more than 1-in-10 participation rate (something crazy like 1-in-7), and Nebraska being noted for having a particularly high participation rate right at that 1-in-10 level. I wondered at the time if that was the truly of NU’s decade+ of success.

It didn't hurt. There's some follow up articles that are still behind the paywall that expound on in further. One example is the Auburn, NE football program that produced the Kelsay brothers in the late 90's that made the NFL. 10 years ago they were getting 80 boys out for football, this year they have 29. They've got 35-40 less boys in school, but the bigger deal is they've got 27 out for Cross Country. Perkins County in Western Nebraska that sent a few kids to Lincoln over the years had to forfeit last week because they couldn't field 8 healthy players. They've got 22 out for cross country. When I was in HS in the late 90's we had 90% of the boys in school out for football, now they get about 60% after a consolidation and that's with a program that's in the playoffs most every year. 

The big metro schools haven't put out as much talent lately. Omaha Central hasn't sent any kids to Lincoln in a few years, and that's the program that produced Gale Sayers, Ahman Green, and a host of others. It's seems like the OPS schools are starting to bounce back as there are top 100 kids this year and next after about a decade drought. 

Edited by Royalfan5
  • Like 1

Ha! My Aunt Mabel taught at Omaha Central in the early-to-mid 70s. She may have taught there in the 60s, too. All I recall is that she took a year or two off for family reasons before ending up at Omaha Central. She didn’t like it there (the students were very disrespectful is what I remember), and it may have been a deal she struck with the school district to make her years of service “uninterrupted.”

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

On 9/22/2018 at 4:34 PM, trza-hawk said:

Really out of line for Wendy's to take a side of something like this.

Whataburger tweeted out something similar to Notre Dame after their loss to Texas a couple of years ago. I'm sure these accounts know their customer base before taking a side. There are less than 2 dozen Wendy's in Nebraska and several hundred in Michigan. 

27 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Ha! My Aunt Mabel taught at Omaha Central in the early-to-mid 70s. She may have taught there in the 60s, too. All I recall is that she took a year or two off for family reasons before ending up at Omaha Central. She didn’t like it there (the students were very disrespectful is what I remember), and it may have been a deal she struck with the school district to make her years of service “uninterrupted.”

Central has a really weird attendance area, you get the neighborhood that Warren Buffet lives in, and then some that Warren definitely doesn't live in.  

1 hour ago, jdhorn92 said:

That CU loss was huge for them a few weeks ago.  They were so amped up for that game only to see CU win it going away after their FR QB went down.  They are right where we were a few years ago when Ash went down.

It seems the Bugeaters are luck to have not played Akron in that 1st week, since the Wildcats of Northwestern lost to the Zips at home a week ago...

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:59 AM, PilotsError said:

I've been sipping my coffee and enjoying the Huskermax forums this morning.  Always love the misery of other teams.

I bet ol' DeLoss Dodds had a pseudo boner this weekend knowing that Mizzou, aggy, and Corn all got there asses handed to 'em . Don't think Colorado played, but really no hate for them anyway. 

Edited by Mr.Hovis
grammar police

Nebraska needs a formula, reintroduce the program to the tremendous wealth of talent available within the Lone Star State, (adding UT to schedule)...

Edited by kopp0e

1 hour ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

So Aunt Mabel was actually a partial qualifier?

1 hour ago, kopp0e said:

The Huskers might need to think of having 1 out of 3 non conference games set in stone, vs a rotation of Colorado/ Missouri/ Oklahoma/ Texas, playing once every 4 years...

They are looking at 3-9 this year, assuming they beat Rondale Moore and his Boiler buddies.

Northwestern's RB just medically retired because of spinal stenosis.  He was the entirety of Northwestern's offense, so they should be able to win that one.  Also have to think they can beat the dumpster fire that is Illinois.  Other than that... maybe they can beat Minny since they get them at home?

21 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

Northwestern's RB just medically retired because of spinal stenosis.  He was the entirety of Northwestern's offense, so they should be able to win that one.  Also have to think they can beat the dumpster fire that is Illinois.  Other than that... maybe they can beat Minny since they get them at home?

Realize random ... never understood why Illinois has never been able to figure it out. Big school, close to Chicago, St. Louis. Feels like should be a good program.

On 9/24/2018 at 11:24 AM, jdhorn92 said:

They are definitely worse than that but okay

On 9/24/2018 at 1:29 PM, kopp0e said:

The Huskers might need to think of having 1 out of 3 non conference games set in stone, vs a rotation of Colorado/ Missouri/ Oklahoma/ Texas, playing once every 4 years...

They should beat Purdue and Illinois. After that maybe Minnesota? Also they play Bethune-Cookman as a replacement for Akron. 

So four wins at best but probably 3. 

2 hours ago, Kyle said:

Realize random ... never understood why Illinois has never been able to figure it out. Big school, close to Chicago, St. Louis. Feels like should be a good program.

If Illini ever get equal to Harbaugh or Meyer at the school, it could supplant Wisconsin as the annual division champ (when factoring proximity to CHI/STL areas)...
On a side note, Orange&Blue aren't in the latest ESPN bottom 10 rankings for the last weekend games, I actually thought the Illini played well vs the Nittany Lions...

20 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

They should beat Purdue and Illinois. After that maybe Minnesota? Also they play Bethune-Cookman as a replacement for Akron. 

So four wins at best but probably 3. 

That's about what I have scaled back expectations to for the Huskers...

2 hours ago, Kyle said:

Chicago and St. Louis aren't exactly football hotbeds. 

Edited by ztejas

57 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

The next nearest city that probably would be of help to fans of the Tigers in recruiting would be Memphis... After that, I would guess, an SEC city as Knoxville...

Memphis has more talent than St. Louis. Harnessing it is the problem. 

49 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

All the tickets have been sold for the first time this season. How many regularly show up remain to be seen. 

In principle the streak will remain intact into next fall, I would think, but if significant improvement isn't made (6 or 8 wins), there could be a bit of apathy...