Tell me about Nebraska

RollLeft

In this day of the internet, I am not sure if newsletters still exist, but I have $9.95 set aside for yours, just in case

You go ahead and keep that $9.95 and donate it to the Big XII revenue sharing. Divide it between however many teams are in your conference now.  It won't bring you any closer to B1G money, but it's the thought that counts, right?

• Fuck You 4

Nebraska never attempted to really fix anything once they saw a different option.

Probably because Nebraska wasn't the one to break anything in the first place?

, and the Big 10 was offering a boat load of money

Uhmm, that's a valid reason to jump and not really a bad thing, right?

Edited by Cornfusion
  • Fuck You 6

It's not so much a valid reason as an after-the-fact excuse. 

This.

If Nebraska was in the Big 12 today, the Big 12 would be making more than it currently is. And Nebraska making about the same. And if they were as bad as they currently are, they would at least not spend as much time traveling to lose.

That Big 10 money has done nothing for them results-wise. Law of diminishing returns, etc. What good is that TV contract to fans if it doesn’t translate into anything?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If Nebraska was in the Big 12 today, the Big 12 would be making more than it currently is.
Nebraska isn't a Sugar Daddy.  It shouldn't be held responsible for how much money anyone else does or doesn't get in their conference.

You missed my point entirely.

I’m saying that Nebraska’s likely not bettering themselves enough financially to justify the collapse of their program, vs having stayed put.

You guys fucked up royally, and your fanbase and administration would be much easier to tolerate if someone would just admit it.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 3/12/2021 at 9:15 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Holy shit these fucking pussies. I hope OU holds them to it and beats them by 100.

Let's not get carried away.  I love that Neb has embarrassed themselves once again, but I'd love even more OU being upset in Norman.  Screw 'em both, but an extra helping of misery to the dirty, barefoot, Big Red Motors funded Sooners.

Edited by clapclapclap
And the only true Game of the Century was played in 1969.
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Cornfusion said:

Probably because Nebraska wasn't the one to break anything in the first place?

Weird... I remember Nebby being the first little bitch who ran away crying, hoping to blow up the whole conference This happening only after spending 10 or 15 years whining and bitching about anything that was decided on by the conference members.

• Hook 'Em 4

Weird... I remember Nebby being the first little bitch who ran away crying, hoping to blow up the whole conference 

Also weird.  I remember a lot of blustering about teams going to the Pac 10 and Nebraska worrying about being left behind like the SWC castoffs were before by their former conference mates were left.  By the way, why was it okay for everybody to walk away from Rice and SMU and go to greener pastures but wasn't  okay for Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri, and Texas A&M to leave?

• Fuck You 5

Are you really this fucking stupid or is this a bit?

If Nebraska leaving for more money and more stability was "really this fucking stupid", then yeah, that's right. 

There was a lot of talk from a lot of other teams in the Big 12 jumping ship at that time, if I recall from the Shaggy Bevo days.  You might want to go do some digging over there and refresh your memory.  Colorado and Nebraska took all the talk seriously and moved since they didn't want to end up like Rice and SMU being left behind when the Southwest Conference imploded.

Get over it already.  If one team bails on you, shame on them.  If five teams bail on you, it might be a sign.  Like the demotivational poster says, "The only common denominator in all of your unhappy relationships is you."

Edited by Cornfusion
  • Fuck You 5

You guys fucked up royally, and your fanbase and administration would be much easier to tolerate if someone would just admit it.

Yeah, yeah, the Big 12 was the best thing that ever happened to Nebraska and they're just too stupid to know how good they had it with the Big 12. 

You sound like a jilted teenager.  Get over it finally.

You can have the last word, I see no use in reliving failed relationships ad nauseum.

Edited by Cornfusion
  • Fuck You 5

7 hours ago, Cornfusion said:

If Nebraska leaving for more money and more stability was "really this fucking stupid", then yeah, that's right. 

There was a lot of talk from a lot of other teams in the Big 12 jumping ship at that time, if I recall from the Shaggy Bevo days.  You might want to go do some digging over there and refresh your memory.  Colorado and Nebraska took all the talk seriously and moved since they didn't want to end up like Rice and SMU being left behind when the Southwest Conference imploded.

Get over it already.  If one team bails on you, shame on them.  If five teams bail on you, it might be a sign.  Like the demotivational poster says, "The only common denominator in all of your unhappy relationships is you."

Nebraska didn't leave for more money or stability. That's the comforting lie they tell themselves to feel better. The true reason they left is because they kept losing to Texas and were tired of it; as well as Texas controlling how the conference is ran. Now they're in a conference where they've turned into a punching bag in their division. 

P.S. you're still our bitch! 1-9 against us in Big 12 play, 4-10 all time. 

10 hours ago, Cornfusion said:

Colorado and Nebraska took all the talk seriously and moved since they didn't want to end up like Rice and SMU being left behind when the Southwest Conference imploded.

So Nebraska is now comparing itself to SMU and Rice. Got it. Truer words were never spoken.

You can pretty much lock this down now.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 4

53 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

So Nebraska is now comparing itself to SMU and Rice. Got it. Truer words were never spoken.

You can pretty much lock this down now.

Nebraska isn't on the same level academically as Rice or SMU. I'm also confident that both of those schools could beat corn aggy in football. 

13 hours ago, Cornfusion said:

There was a lot of talk from a lot of other teams in the Big 12 jumping ship at that time

This is just about as dishonest at it gets, and I would expect nothing less from a Nebby fan. All the Pac10 talk did not begin until after Mizzou and Nebby started creaming there panties for the Big11. It's a great story though, and I would also probably tell it to everyone if I was a deceitful piece of shit who screwed over everyone in the conference.

• Hook 'Em 3

Not to defend Nebraska, but they did have one legitimate complaint. Their biggest game of the year in the old Big 8 was Oklahoma. When the conferences merged, Oklahoma went in the south with Texas. The Sooners objected to an annual "rivalry" game with Nebraska because at the time, the three toughest programs were Texas, Oklahoma and Nebraska. Conference championships were a bigger deal back then. Oklahoma didn't mind playing both when a loss to Texas wouldn't affect conference standings, but they didn't want to have the toughest conference schedule every year. From a recruiting standpoint, the Texas game was a lot more important to the Sooners than the Nebraska game, cause Cotton Bowl in the metroplex. 

The inherent problem, IMHO, with the Big 12 when it formed was there were only three "name" teams. Nebraska wanted Oklahoma to stay in the north, and have Nebraska/Oklahoma anchor the northern schools, and Texas-aggy anchor the south. aggy wasn't up to doing the heavy lifting for that to work, the Oklahoma legislature wasn't going to let Okie lite and OU be in a different division, and Oklahoma REALLY needed that game in the metroplex for recruiting. 

It really affected Nebraska's ego when the Sooners pushed to be in the south, but...

godfather_its_strictly_business.gif?w=50

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

The inherent problem, IMHO, with the Big 12 when it formed was there were only three "name" teams.

Good post. I always wondered if things would have gone much differently if we had been able to convince Arkansas to come with us to the Big 12 instead of Baylor.

If you were going to split the original Big 12 into divisions to make travel easier and all of that, the alignment they came up with made the most sense.

If, in 2010, the Big 12 power brokers had sat down and said "this is what's important to us" they probably could have worked out a deal - assuming that what was important to them was a legitimate and attainable end.

The problem is that most of this was driven by emotion.  Nebraska's tangible beefs (OU game, revenue sharing) were all things that could be dealt with.  Their intangible beef - jealousy over Texas's recent (at that time) success and the feeling that they (Nebraska) no longer wielded inordinate power couldn't be dealt with.  Just like Aggy's insane relationship with Texas couldn't be dealt with.  Aggy's whole goal was getting away from Texas.

Colorado wasn't a power broker and they bailed just to have a home.  They've been pretty irrelevant since they left, and they probably wouldn't be that relevant had they stayed.  At the end of the day, CU alums and Coloradoans in general just don't seem to care that much about college football.  We have some good CU posters here, but I think even they would acknowledge that the rest of the fanbase just isn't that into it.  That's why I feel no anger towards Colorado.  They didn't have the power to change anything, really.

Missouri always had this belief that they were "superior" to the other Plains states schools and had wanted to be in the Big 10 for a long time to rub shoulders with schools like Michigan and Northwestern.  They were complicit in starting this mess, and the idea that Big 12 schools were unhappy to simply be associated with each other.  They are completely fucking irrelevant in the SEC and have very little fan interest these days.   Fuck them, they got what they deserve.  But much like Colorado, they simply didn't have the power to fix tangible issues.  Of course, their unhappiness was an intangible ego thing too.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 4

20 hours ago, Cornfusion said:

It won't bring you any closer to B1G money, but it's the thought that counts, right?

20 hours ago, Cornfusion said:

Uhmm, that's a valid reason to jump and not really a bad thing, right?

Why do you care if Nebraska makes $40 million or $50 million? How does it benefit you as a fan? Hint: it doesn't. That money isn't used to enhance your experience as a fan, and it's a wash in terms of providing a competitive advantage. It's not helping you narrow the gap with Ohio State. It's not helping you establish a competitive advantage over Purdue. It is ultimately meaningless to fans.

Only the worst college football fans bleat about how much money (revenue, mind you) their athletic department generates. It's about winning games on the field. Everything else is pussy hurt equivocation and deflection. And that includes all the fucking retards in our fanbase who think Texas is "the Joneses". 

15 hours ago, Cornfusion said:

You can have the last word, I see no use in reliving failed relationships ad nauseum.

You keep saying that, but you keep coming back to a Texas message board to tell Texas fans how little you care about Texas. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

Good post. I always wondered if things would have gone much differently if we had been able to convince Arkansas to come with us to the Big 12 instead of Baylor.

Conference realignment talk not going away.

The B12 needed one of Rice, SMU, TCU or Baylor in the conference. Having a private institution exempts the conference from having to open up their books like they do if all the colleges are public (government funded) institutions. For the most part, they're loss leaders, and don't do much except provide wins to the big boys and keep the conference from having to open their books. Northwestern is the one for the B1G, Vanderbilt for the SEC, Baylor for B12, USC and Stanford for PAC, and the ACC has several private schools. Course, not all of them are just patsies, but there's a reason the discussion was over keeping Baylor or TCU, and Houston didn't enter into the mix. 

As to Arkansas, financially they might be better off in the SEC, but they lost all their old recruiting grounds and picked up precious little in the SEC. There were rumors that the reason Arky jumped was because they heard they'd be left out of the B8-SWC merger, but who knows?

1 hour ago, Richard Kimball said:

Not to defend Nebraska, but they did have one legitimate complaint. Their biggest game of the year in the old Big 8 was Oklahoma. When the conferences merged, Oklahoma went in the south with Texas. The Sooners objected to an annual "rivalry" game with Nebraska because at the time, the three toughest programs were Texas, Oklahoma and Nebraska. Conference championships were a bigger deal back then. Oklahoma didn't mind playing both when a loss to Texas wouldn't affect conference standings, but they didn't want to have the toughest conference schedule every year. From a recruiting standpoint, the Texas game was a lot more important to the Sooners than the Nebraska game, cause Cotton Bowl in the metroplex. 

The inherent problem, IMHO, with the Big 12 when it formed was there were only three "name" teams. Nebraska wanted Oklahoma to stay in the north, and have Nebraska/Oklahoma anchor the northern schools, and Texas-aggy anchor the south. aggy wasn't up to doing the heavy lifting for that to work, the Oklahoma legislature wasn't going to let Okie lite and OU be in a different division, and Oklahoma REALLY needed that game in the metroplex for recruiting. 

It really affected Nebraska's ego when the Sooners pushed to be in the south, but...

godfather_its_strictly_business.gif?w=50

Yeah, the thought though was that Colorado, who just won a natty like 4 years prior, would be nationally relevant for a while.  Which would give you 2 in each.   They dropped faster than the Huskers though.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

Yeah, the thought though was that Colorado, who just won a natty like 4 years prior, would be nationally relevant for a while.  Which would give you 2 in each.   They dropped faster than the Huskers though.

K-State was coming on strong under Snyder as well.  I remember them flirting with the natty before Aggy beat them in an early Big 12 CCG.

Just doing a little research, but from '96-'03, the North and South alternated winning the Big 12 CCG.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

17 hours ago, Cornfusion said:

Also weird.  I remember a lot of blustering about teams going to the Pac 10 and Nebraska worrying about being left behind like the SWC castoffs were before by their former conference mates were left.  By the way, why was it okay for everybody to walk away from Rice and SMU and go to greener pastures but wasn't  okay for Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri, and Texas A&M to leave?

Rice and SMU didn't bring anything to the table.

Rice, in their entire history, has never made a serious commitment to football. SMU was still in their wandering in the wilderness phase. 

When the Southwest Conference was formed, television wasn't an issue. For the most part, travel distance between the schools was the biggest deal. Rice and SMU were inside an easy travel path for just about everyone. 

The Big 12 was about television footprint. Texas and aggy delivered Houston. Rice brought nothing to the table. The metroplex TV interests were Texas, aggy and Oklahoma.  SMU and TCU brought essentially zero to metroplex ratings. 

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If you were going to split the original Big 12 into divisions to make travel easier and all of that, the alignment they came up with made the most sense.

If, in 2010, the Big 12 power brokers had sat down and said "this is what's important to us" they probably could have worked out a deal - assuming that what was important to them was a legitimate and attainable end.

The problem is that most of this was driven by emotion.  Nebraska's tangible beefs (OU game, revenue sharing) were all things that could be dealt with.  Their intangible beef - jealousy over Texas's recent (at that time) success and the feeling that they (Nebraska) no longer wielded inordinate power couldn't be dealt with.  Just like Aggy's insane relationship with Texas couldn't be dealt with.  Aggy's whole goal was getting away from Texas.

Colorado wasn't a power broker and they bailed just to have a home.  They've been pretty irrelevant since they left, and they probably wouldn't be that relevant had they stayed.  At the end of the day, CU alums and Coloradoans in general just don't seem to care that much about college football.  We have some good CU posters here, but I think even they would acknowledge that the rest of the fanbase just isn't that into it.  That's why I feel no anger towards Colorado.  They didn't have the power to change anything, really.

Missouri always had this belief that they were "superior" to the other Plains states schools and had wanted to be in the Big 10 for a long time to rub shoulders with schools like Michigan and Northwestern.  They were complicit in starting this mess, and the idea that Big 12 schools were unhappy to simply be associated with each other.  They are completely fucking irrelevant in the SEC and have very little fan interest these days.   Fuck them, they got what they deserve.  But much like Colorado, they simply didn't have the power to fix tangible issues.  Of course, their unhappiness was an intangible ego thing too.

revenue sharing was not an issue and never was for kNebraska.....they were 100% in favor of unequal revenue sharing for the entire time they were in the conference

they were also 100% against a conference network and the only way they would have agreed to one was with unequal revenue sharing

both of the above were clearly stated in the perlman interview after the move along with the claim that they were further along on developing their own network than Texas was at the time (although he admits the money talked bout for them was not the same as the money Texas eventually got)

perlman stated very clearly in the interview that kNebraska was in full agreement with the way Texas voted on every major conference issue.....revenue sharing, the CCG in dallas, the HQ in dallas, conference network or independent team networks (Texas actually first brought up the conference network and would have gone along with it if the rest of the conference had not blown off the idea)

perlman stated he understood why some did not want to move the HQ, but he really thought it was a meaningless issue and he stated that osbourne (the real person behind moving most likely) did not want to move the CCG, but perlman stated he did not want to freeze his ass off in KC in the winter so he voted to move the CCG to dallas

I realize that all teams including Texas are going to be looking at financial issues, but it is a bit laughable to think that 1 home game in 2021 instead of the road game to OU would really work out financially considering that the 2022 OU game at kNU would most likely be canceled as well and replaced with some steaming pile of shit

so kNU is looking at say $2 or $3 million more in net gains for that extra home game (if that), but they can't look ahead to next year when they could charge their fans a major premium to have the OU game at home and instead have another steaming pile of shit at home.......all the more so when they have that "Big 10 money" flowing in

the thought crossed my mind that maybe the Big 10 was pressuring kNU a bit to drop the game since it looks like a loss anyway and handing OU that early season win against a Big 10 leaders (or is it legends) "power" helps OU down the road with playoff contention.....and lately it has been between OU and a Big 10 team as to who gets that last playoff spot......so maybe the Big 10 headed over to the kids table at the last conference meeting and whispered in the ear of kNU that if they wanted to get off conference double secret probation for pushing the "we wanna play" narrative so hard instead of letting tOSU do that....well a good way to do that would be drop that pesky almost assured OU loss for some hot dog shit that would help kNU get to 6 wins and some shitty bowl game

15 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

revenue sharing was not an issue and never was for kNebraska.....they were 100% in favor of unequal revenue sharing for the entire time they were in the conference

they were also 100% against a conference network and the only way they would have agreed to one was with unequal revenue sharing

both of the above were clearly stated in the perlman interview after the move along with the claim that they were further along on developing their own network than Texas was at the time (although he admits the money talked bout for them was not the same as the money Texas eventually got)

perlman stated very clearly in the interview that kNebraska was in full agreement with the way Texas voted on every major conference issue.....revenue sharing, the CCG in dallas, the HQ in dallas, conference network or independent team networks (Texas actually first brought up the conference network and would have gone along with it if the rest of the conference had not blown off the idea)

perlman stated he understood why some did not want to move the HQ, but he really thought it was a meaningless issue and he stated that osbourne (the real person behind moving most likely) did not want to move the CCG, but perlman stated he did not want to freeze his ass off in KC in the winter so he voted to move the CCG to dallas

I realize that all teams including Texas are going to be looking at financial issues, but it is a bit laughable to think that 1 home game in 2021 instead of the road game to OU would really work out financially considering that the 2022 OU game at kNU would most likely be canceled as well and replaced with some steaming pile of shit

so kNU is looking at say $2 or $3 million more in net gains for that extra home game (if that), but they can't look ahead to next year when they could charge their fans a major premium to have the OU game at home and instead have another steaming pile of shit at home.......all the more so when they have that "Big 10 money" flowing in

the thought crossed my mind that maybe the Big 10 was pressuring kNU a bit to drop the game since it looks like a loss anyway and handing OU that early season win against a Big 10 leaders (or is it legends) "power" helps OU down the road with playoff contention.....and lately it has been between OU and a Big 10 team as to who gets that last playoff spot......so maybe the Big 10 headed over to the kids table at the last conference meeting and whispered in the ear of kNU that if they wanted to get off conference double secret probation for pushing the "we wanna play" narrative so hard instead of letting tOSU do that....well a good way to do that would be drop that pesky almost assured OU loss for some hot dog shit that would help kNU get to 6 wins and some shitty bowl game

I'm very aware.  I'm just saying that it's a reason they used for leaving, and it's a tangible reason.  The Big 12 did address this after Nebraska left, too.

21 hours ago, Jabberwocky said:

We were forced to take Baylor with us. If I'm not mistaken, Texas originally lobbied for TCU as the 4th team. 

18 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

Rice and SMU didn't bring anything to the table.

Rice, in their entire history, has never made a serious commitment to football. SMU was still in their wandering in the wilderness phase. 

When the Southwest Conference was formed, television wasn't an issue. For the most part, travel distance between the schools was the biggest deal. Rice and SMU were inside an easy travel path for just about everyone. 

The Big 12 was about television footprint. Texas and aggy delivered Houston. Rice brought nothing to the table. The metroplex TV interests were Texas, aggy and Oklahoma.  SMU and TCU brought essentially zero to metroplex ratings. 

The last time Rice was a powerhosue in football was the 1950s. If they came to the Big 12 they would contribute nothing except for being the football punching bag. The only true sport they could compete in is baseball. 

3 hours ago, Royale with cheese said:

Ann Richards entered into the mix. 

Richards involvement was minimal. David Sibley and Bob Bullock were the movers on that. Both got their law degrees from Baylor, Sibley was the Waco area rep, and when Bullock retired, he left all his papers from his time as Lt. Governor to the Baylor library. Richards went to Baylor for her teaching degree, but wasn't that attached to the school and only taught for one year. That "Grandma teacher from Baylor" was mostly campaign rhetoric. 

On 3/17/2021 at 6:59 AM, Royale with cheese said:

Ann Richards entered into the mix. 

I realize someone else already addressed this, but this is false, as has been repeated ad nauseum on the internet for more than a decade. Richards didn't give a rat's ass. Bullock, on the other hand, played a huge role. 

On 3/16/2021 at 12:22 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

Mizzou definitely feels like a place where ego outshines reality. They're an awful fit for the SEC, but they like to act as if that's what they wanted after the B1G rejected their advances. I find it funny. 

Colorado, of which I am a fan... Well, man, it's rough. At the time of the move I was actually in the middle of my master's degree at CU, and it felt like the right move. Huge alumni base out west, lots of students at the University from out west, seemingly more like-minded institutions from a cultural and athletic standpoint. Money aside, it's the right fit for for CU. But the money is the worry. 

• Hook 'Em 1

As this pertains to a team I support, I call bullshit.  You can say based on information given that they were trying to get out of the game, but past narrative of both Frost and Moos speaks differently.  I personally don't care what you think or don't think about Nebraska, but if you think their pressure on the dipshits at the B1G office last year to get a season started didn't ultimately help it start (with the obvious help of then president, DT lol), then you're fucking blind.  Doesn't sound like a team/coaching staff/athletic dept. that isn't prepared to play, no matter who it's against.

On 3/14/2021 at 12:53 PM, Cornfusion said:

If you wanted to pursue this further and bury that urban legend for once and for all, go look at who was on the roster and from where they came during those championship years.  But it's just easier to think that it was players like Lawrence Phillips and not players like Rob Zatechka* that made ALL of the difference, right?  (By the way, do you even know who was the back up to Lawrence Phillips?...Ahman Green.  Not much of a drop off, huh?)

*Actually, Dr. Zatechka...as in M.D.

There was no myth about partial qualifiers.  It comprised a significant portion of Nebraska's roster.  And they knew they could not keep dominating without them.  SI did an article on it where Dr. Tom was crying about it:

https://vault.si.com/vault/1996/01/15/headed-for-a-fall-nebraska-may-win-another-national-title-but-the-days-when-such-a-colossus-ruled-the-game-are-over

Just 4 of your best players, no big deal:

In the Fiesta Bowl, Nebraska started four partial or
non-qualifiers (cornerback Michael Booker, defensive tackle
Christian Peter, cornerback Tyrone Williams and defensive end
Jared Tomich), and two others, wideout Reggie Baul and outside
linebacker Jamel Williams, played almost as much as the
starters. According to Nebraska officials there were at least 12
partial or non-qualifiers in the program last fall. "Among elite
schools Nebraska is a true haven for partial and
non-qualifiers," said the coach of another elite school.

• Like 1

The Big 12 should have been the original 12 minus Baylor and one of K State or Missouri.

10 teams playing a round robin.  That would have been a very good conference and you would have very good matchups every year with few duds.  And the Texas-NU game would have been another good annual rivalry.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

As this pertains to a team I support, I call bullshit.  You can say based on information given that they were trying to get out of the game, but past narrative of both Frost and Moos speaks differently.

Well Moos has already admitted NU is trying to figure out how to get an additional home game on the schedule. Your 9 game conference schedule is not going to change, and two of your non-conference games are already at home. The NCAA allows 12 games max, so how else does NU get an additional home game? They absolutely approached OU about cancelling the game, that's the only path to getting an 8th home game. I'm glad OU told Moos to fuck off and I look forward to watching their albino QB welcome you guys to Norman, deliverance style.

• Like 3

On 3/16/2021 at 9:59 AM, Jabberwocky said:

This is just about as dishonest at it gets, and I would expect nothing less from a Nebby fan. All the Pac10 talk did not begin until after Mizzou and Nebby started creaming there panties for the Big11. It's a great story though, and I would also probably tell it to everyone if I was a deceitful piece of shit who screwed over everyone in the conference.

I don't believe you.

• 3 weeks later...