Tell me about Nebraska

RollLeft

15 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I realize this isn’t the thread for Hawkeye stuff, but check out my 30 yard line seats. Jealous much?

2-C9789-DB-039-A-48-A2-857-D-AB2-E90-BAB

Despite being 23 years old, my daughter (no gotdam pics) is in the University of Iowa Children’s Hospital recovering from a difficult orthopedic surgery (distal lateral femoral osteotomy along with a hip labral repair). Her hip surgeon referred her to orthopedists at both UI and Mayo, but UI offered up a room with stadium views.

Hope your daughter recovers well!

I hate to admit it, but Kinnick was (still is to an extent) a really cool old stadium.  They've made it less aesthetically pleasing, IMO, when they reconfigured the north end (they actually lost seats), but I have fond memories of going to games there as a kid before the new press/luxury boxes and end zone suites.  We had family friends that worked for U of I and you could get free tickets for the game if you checked and restocked the bathrooms with TP at half time, so we'd make a late season game (often Minnesota) on a regular basis.  Being as I had one parent attend each school, I grew up a dual Iowa/Iowa State fan that was always Clones first, but still a passionate Hawkeye fan.  That died the day I set on campus, but I've relearned to not hate Iowa as much as I did in my 20's.  The waving to the kids thing sure makes them seem a lot more likeable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Hope your daughter recovers well!

I hate to admit it, but Kinnick was (still is to an extent) a really cool old stadium.  They've made it less aesthetically pleasing, IMO, when they reconfigured the north end (they actually lost seats), but I have fond memories of going to games there as a kid before the new press/luxury boxes and end zone suites.  We had family friends that worked for U of I and you could get free tickets for the game if you checked and restocked the bathrooms with TP at half time, so we'd make a late season game (often Minnesota) on a regular basis.  Being as I had one parent attend each school, I grew up a dual Iowa/Iowa State fan that was always Clones first, but still a passionate Hawkeye fan.  That died the day I set on campus, but I've relearned to not hate Iowa as much as I did in my 20's.  The waving to the kids thing sure makes them seem a lot more likeable.

I’m getting the same feeling here in Iowa City that I get while visiting Austin. We are absolutely fucked if we get into a land war with Russia or China. 

I’m getting the same feeling here in Iowa City that I get while visiting Austin. We are absolutely fucked if we get into a land war with Russia or China. 

I’ve been in one bar fight in my life, and it was in Iowa City.

Suffice it to say, I came out unscathed and the other guy’s face was leaking.
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, trza-hawk said:

The local sports talk radio here had a guest from Las Vegas talking about the B1G West power rankings, he had Wisconsin finishing first then Minnesota second and Nebraska third in the division. Iowa won't be able to score points this season and the rest of the division is really low on talent. Biels should have some fun for off the field stuff at Illinois. Anyway, Nebraska at five conference wins is the smart guys projection.

In Year 2 of the Frost Era, Vegas was giving Nebraska top 10 odds for winning the national title. They don't appear to have a fucking clue about that program. Frost hasn't recruited well, so my view is that what they're really predicting is the Big 10 West will be about as competitive as the fucking MAC. It's a trash division. 

26 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I’ve been in one bar fight in my life, and it was in Iowa City.

Suffice it to say, I came out unscathed and the other guy’s face was leaking.

What started it? Did he tell you that there's two kind of men in this world and you're neither of them?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Viper said:

What started it? Did he tell you that there's two kind of men in this world and you're neither of them?

It's a pretty comical story.  It wasn't technically at a bar, but rather on our way home from a bar.

Me and a couple other buddies pass a house party and some dude in the yard invites us.  We oblige him, grab a keg cup, and begin a casual conversation.  As soon as one of the guys standing around finds out we're recent ISU grad, he flips shit demanding we leave.  The other guys at the party admonish him, but he's getting pretty irate, so we go.

We get back to my buddy's (guy I went to ISU with that was starting Iowa law school in a couple months) and decide we're going to change clothes and go back and see if we can crash the thing.  We've been drinking all day and snorting plenty of Adderall, so I'm pretty squirrely at this point.

We get back to the party and it doesn't take 5 months for pissed off (and clearly coked out guy) to start yelling "HEY! DIDN'T I KICK YOU CYCLONE FUCKS OUT OF HERE?".  A crowd starts to gather.  I start playing dumb and denying it and finally I go "wait, wait, wait.  Was the guy you kicked out wearing _______" (I described my previous shirt) and another guy goes "yeah, he was".  I go "oh, that's my brother.  He just staggered back to the party we were at all fucked up and mumbling about being kicked of some house party".  Almost everyone buys this except Angry Coke Guy.  He starts yelling at his buddies "THEY FUCKING CHANGED SHIRTS.  ARE YOU GOING TO BUY THIS SHIT?".  Everyone else at the party either buys it or doesn't give a shit.  Finally, Angry Coke Guy turns at me, lowers his head, and charges like an angry bull.  I do my best drunk matador, sidestep him, and jump on his back as he tumbles to the pavement.  I grab him by the back of the head, slam his face into the street again, and at this point his buddies and mine start pulling us apart.

Everyone cools down, apologizes, and I give some drunken "Cyclones, Hawkeyes, can't we all get along?" spiel and the next thing you know, we're all in the living room, drinking beer and passing a bowl around.  Angry Coke Guy was bleeding from the face pretty bad, and his girlfriend was sitting next to him with a wet rag trying to tend to his wounds and he hands me a beer and goes "hey man, I'm really sorry.  I honestly thought you were this other guy we kicked out of the party earlier.  No hard feelings".

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It's a pretty comical story.  It wasn't technically at a bar, but rather on our way home from a bar.

Me and a couple other buddies pass a house party and some dude in the yard invites us.  We oblige him, grab a keg cup, and begin a casual conversation.  As soon as one of the guys standing around finds out we're recent ISU grad, he flips shit demanding we leave.  The other guys at the party admonish him, but he's getting pretty irate, so we go.

We get back to my buddy's (guy I went to ISU with that was starting Iowa law school in a couple months) and decide we're going to change clothes and go back and see if we can crash the thing.  We've been drinking all day and snorting plenty of Adderall, so I'm pretty squirrely at this point.

We get back to the party and it doesn't take 5 months for pissed off (and clearly coked out guy) to start yelling "HEY! DIDN'T I KICK YOU CYCLONE FUCKS OUT OF HERE?".  A crowd starts to gather.  I start playing dumb and denying it and finally I go "wait, wait, wait.  Was the guy you kicked out wearing _______" (I described my previous shirt) and another guy goes "yeah, he was".  I go "oh, that's my brother.  He just staggered back to the party we were at all fucked up and mumbling about being kicked of some house party".  Almost everyone buys this except Angry Coke Guy.  He starts yelling at his buddies "THEY FUCKING CHANGED SHIRTS.  ARE YOU GOING TO BUY THIS SHIT?".  Everyone else at the party either buys it or doesn't give a shit.  Finally, Angry Coke Guy turns at me, lowers his head, and charges like an angry bull.  I do my best drunk matador, sidestep him, and jump on his back as he tumbles to the pavement.  I grab him by the back of the head, slam his face into the street again, and at this point his buddies and mine start pulling us apart.

Everyone cools down, apologizes, and I give some drunken "Cyclones, Hawkeyes, can't we all get along?" spiel and the next thing you know, we're all in the living room, drinking beer and passing a bowl around.  Angry Coke Guy was bleeding from the face pretty bad, and his girlfriend was sitting next to him with a wet rag trying to tend to his wounds and he hands me a beer and goes "hey man, I'm really sorry.  I honestly thought you were this other guy we kicked out of the party earlier.  No hard feelings".

I think we're all disappointed you didn't make him bite the concrete curb and then crush his skull by stomping on the back of his head. 

17 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

The guys that you absolutely do not want to fight are the wrestlers. And they come in all sizes. 

100% accurate.

I have 4" and 40 lbs on my brother, but he was a state qualifier and he could tie me in a knot with one arm.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

10 hours ago, Droopy said:

Yeah, they could’ve done better.

The wife and I travel and go to away games. I’d love to see a game at Jack Trice. 

Come on up this fall.  I would imagine it will be a pretty electric atmosphere.

I will say as much as I love ISU, Jack Trice as an actual stadium isn't amazing.  It's base is soulless 70's Communist architecture.  We've really improved it since I was a kid, but Kinnick has that old brick thing going for it.  The atmosphere within and around Jack Trice is equal (if not ahead these days) of Kinnick, but the stadium itself isn't great.

22 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Cool story, dude. Way to go.

Jack Trice seems like one of those perpetually underrated stadiums (atmosphere, not the building itself). Hope I can get to a game there someday. 

I feel like the atmosphere has started to get its due. The night we broke the Pokes opened a lot of eyes. Now that we’re consistently competitive, I see us getting more credit.

Stadium atmosphere is a direct result of our tailgating tradition.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 6/28/2021 at 11:45 AM, Hurtlocker said:

Good read. Always interesting to see what a petty, selfish piece of shit Tom Osborne was, and is. Made to play fair and he squealed like a bitch all the way to the B10 basement.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, LTbear said:

Jack Trice seems like one of those perpetually underrated stadiums (atmosphere, not the building itself). Hope I can get to a game there someday. 

But the toilets actually work and no trace of bat guano, so I'd have to give it the edge over aggy.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Frank Solich is retiring from his job as head coach at Ohio University due to cardiovascular health concerns. They’re saying on the radio that he’s the winningest coach in MAC history. I don’t know if they’re going just by his record at OU (the MAC OU), or if they’re counting his wins at Nebraska. But he did a respectable job in Athens. He won a number of division titles. I don’t think he ever won a conference title. But for the Bobcats he did a really good job and everyone respected him.

I think I’ve told this story before. But after Nebraska joined the Big Ten, they made their first visit to Columbus in 2012. The Bobcats played a game in Athens the night before. I posted on the Nebraska Scout.com and Rivals.com boards asking if any Huskers fans were going to go down to watch the game and cheer on their old coach. The general response, sometimes literally, was “Fuck no.” Literally no one said they were going to go. I thought that was kind of sad.

Best wishes, Frank, and good job. 

• Like 1

Part of Solich's accomplishment at Ohio is from longevity and compiling wins. The best MAC coaches are out the door so fast its like "here today, gone today", the fans just expect every guy to leave as soon as possible. But in an industry where every guy leaves the moment the money is good it is highly unusual for a guy to stay on that long anywhere.

Couple of laughs from Trev's wiki page:

Upon retirement from the NFL, Alberts was hired by the American cable television network CNN/SI and concomitantly its Sports Illustrated magazine, where he served as a college football contributor. In 2002, Alberts joined the staff of the American cable television network ESPN, where he worked as an in-studio analyst for college football, ultimately joining Rece Davis and Mark May on the network's College GameDay Scoreboard and College GameDay Final.

On September 6, 2005, Alberts was terminated by ESPN for breaching his contract when he declined to report to work; Alberts later claimed he did not want to "play second fiddle" to the more prominent cast of College GameDay, Chris Fowler, Kirk Herbstreit and Lee Corso.

Alberts thereafter accepted a position as a columnist for the website of the college sports cable television network CSTV. He worked as a color commentator for the NFL on Westwood One Sunday afternoon radio broadcasts in 2006. He also provided color commentary for SEC football games on CBS.

Alberts was hired in April 2009 to be the director of athletics for the Nebraska–Omaha Mavericks sports program at the University of Nebraska-Omaha.[10]

I believe the potential for UNO's athletic programs is unlimited. This new chapter in my life will be exciting for me and for my family. I had an amazing experience as a college athlete. For several years now, I’ve wanted to return to college athletics and give something back. This position at UNO is a privilege.[10]
—Alberts upon assuming the UNO job

Alberts made the controversial decision to eliminate football and wrestling in an effort to bring University of Nebraska-Omaha to Division I's Summit League. The regents approved the move March 25, 2011

He missed his true calling as a model/spokesman for bad idea jeans. Give him 5 years and corn will be battling it out with rival Chadron State for control of the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference. That hire is so Nebraska, it hurts. 

13 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Frank Solich is retiring from his job as head coach at Ohio University due to cardiovascular health concerns. They’re saying on the radio that he’s the winningest coach in MAC history. I don’t know if they’re going just by his record at OU (the MAC OU), or if they’re counting his wins at Nebraska. But he did a respectable job in Athens. He won a number of division titles. I don’t think he ever won a conference title. But for the Bobcats he did a really good job and everyone respected him.

I think I’ve told this story before. But after Nebraska joined the Big Ten, they made their first visit to Columbus in 2012. The Bobcats played a game in Athens the night before. I posted on the Nebraska Scout.com and Rivals.com boards asking if any Huskers fans were going to go down to watch the game and cheer on their old coach. The general response, sometimes literally, was “Fuck no.” Literally no one said they were going to go. I thought that was kind of sad.

Best wishes, Frank, and good job. 

He may have been the last good coach they had too

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

He may have been the last good coach they had too

He may have been their first for all I know. I really don’t remember them ever having a competitive football program before he got there. They definitely seemed to be at the bottom of the list of MAC schools in Ohio as long as I’d been paying attention.

Great party school, though. Halloween in Athens was a blast. 

36 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

He may have been their first for all I know. I really don’t remember them ever having a competitive football program before he got there. They definitely seemed to be at the bottom of the list of MAC schools in Ohio as long as I’d been paying attention.

Great party school, though. Halloween in Athens was a blast. 

Sorry man, I meant Nebraska, not Ohio.