Tell me about Nebraska

RollLeft

On 7/14/2021 at 8:16 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

Frank Solich is retiring from his job as head coach at Ohio University due to cardiovascular health concerns. They’re saying on the radio that he’s the winningest coach in MAC history. I don’t know if they’re going just by his record at OU (the MAC OU), or if they’re counting his wins at Nebraska. But he did a respectable job in Athens. He won a number of division titles. I don’t think he ever won a conference title. But for the Bobcats he did a really good job and everyone respected him.

I think I’ve told this story before. But after Nebraska joined the Big Ten, they made their first visit to Columbus in 2012. The Bobcats played a game in Athens the night before. I posted on the Nebraska Scout.com and Rivals.com boards asking if any Huskers fans were going to go down to watch the game and cheer on their old coach. The general response, sometimes literally, was “Fuck no.” Literally no one said they were going to go. I thought that was kind of sad.

Best wishes, Frank, and good job. 

On 7/14/2021 at 10:21 AM, trza-hawk said:

Part of Solich's accomplishment at Ohio is from longevity and compiling wins. The best MAC coaches are out the door so fast its like "here today, gone today", the fans just expect every guy to leave as soon as possible. But in an industry where every guy leaves the moment the money is good it is highly unusual for a guy to stay on that long anywhere.

Solich was solid but never won the MAC championship.

UTn (Toledo) has produced Nick Saban, Tim Beckman, and Matt Campbell

Miami of OH (cradle of coaches)  Paul Brown, Carmen Cozza, Weeb Ewbank, Ara Parseghian, Earl Blaik, Woody Hayes, Bo Schembechler, and Jim Tressel.

(thanks Wikipedia)

Urban Meyer spent one year at Bowling Green.

Brian Kelly's first FBS job was at Central Michigan.

Edited by notre dame joe

I am going to do the rounds at the Husker boards, to see if any of them want to see whatever team Pellini's little brother is coaching at now. Then I looked it up and he is at that one big high school where so many other coaches spent some time. Anyway, we all miss the Pellini brothers and their antics in the Power 5 or at Youngstown State or whatever place is next for the guys.

Barry Tramel from the Daily Okie answering a Nebraska fan's e-mail:

Tramel: You know, it’s hard to overstate just how consumed Nebraskans are about the Longhorns. The Cornhuskers, from Tom Osborne down to the mayor of Grand Island, sees Texas as some evil villain that only the righteous will stand against. But OU didn’t see Texas that way. The Sooners often voted with the ‘Horns because that’s the side on which OU stood. Nebraskans believe this is a Shakespearean play, with the Huskers representing virtue and the ‘Horns representing oppression. But the No. 1 issue when the Big 12 was formed was academic standards; Texas pushed for a higher bar. Now Nebraska is in the high-brow academic conference. When OU gets mad at the Longhorns, it maintains its composure, waits for October and beats Texas. In the Big 12, Nebraska went 1-9 against Texas. That’s right, 1-9. Including 1-5 in the Osborne/Frank Solich era, when the Huskers still could play a little football. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I remember posting on Huskerpedia after Nebraska left the Big 12 that they were going to regret it because they were cutting off their one natural recruiting base, Texas.  I was vociferously told that I was a dumbass.  Assuming people are still posting on Huskerpedia I may go back to gloat at their expense.

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I remember posting on Huskerpedia after Nebraska left the Big 12 that they were going to regret it because they were cutting off their one natural recruiting base, Texas.  I was vociferously told that I was a dumbass.  Assuming people are still posting on Huskerpedia I may go back to gloat at their expense.

Guess what would happen if you posted this on there today. Same fucking thing. Corn aggy will never admit they made a shortsighted reactionary decision. Ive always said with the right coach and decent AD they can replicate OUs formula of Texas recruiting but they fucked that up. Oh well

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

What’s the Longhorns’ excuse?

<Ducking and running for cover.>

• Fuck You 3

41 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

What’s the Longhorns’ excuse?

<Ducking and running for cover.>

What do we need an excuse for?  We left the Big 12 because we were tired of subsidizing our weaker sisters, because our recruiting was suffering, and because we missed kicking the Aggie's asses all over this state.

Poor Nebraska.  Too bad women's volleyball isn't a revenue sport. 

Seems like the university contacted the ncaa to put frost in a nice big pot of hot water. Great thing to do to a coach at the start of a season. 

The main takeaway from this to me is fuck the ncaa. 
last week they said Baylor did nothing wrong for blatantly allowing student athletes to rape other students. Now theyre making a splash about some mildly organized off campus practices that featured an analyst’s presence. 
fuck you ncaa. You need to burn. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Sounds like they wanna fire Frosty. Not because of this though, because of the losing. They're just doing this to lower the buyout because they're so classy.

This was my immediate thought as well. 

As a Buffs fan, I've loved seeing the ineptitude of the Huskers' chosen one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

https://theathletic.com/2777687/2021/08/18/staples-nebraska-has-nothing-to-worry-about-the-only-thing-the-ncaa-is-good-for-is-a-path-out-of-a-coach-buyout/

Spoiler

If you want to truly understand the NCAA’s existential crisis, all you need to know is that Wednesday offered an example of the only practical use remaining for any of the organization’s rules: Giving schools who handed out idiotic contract extensions a path to wriggle out of paying the buyouts.

This is not to say that Nebraska coach Scott Frost will be fired as a result of the investigation into whether Nebraska had non-coach employees coaching players or held organized workouts at a time when the Big Ten and NCAA had banned them. I can almost assuredly say that Frost will not be fired for this. If his deal is terminated — and when I say terminated, I mean, when he resigns and accepts a settlement much smaller than his astronomical buyout — it will be for losing too many games, and it would happen near the end of this season or after it. But the NCAA’s rules, which truly serve no other useful purpose at this point, canhelp correct a poor financial decision made by an athletic director Nebraska already has forced out.

But before we talk about Nebraska, you might want to talk about Baylor — where former football program employees were accused of something far worse than analysts coaching or secret workouts. When the NCAA’s Committee on Infractions announced last week that it had basically no punishment for the actions of Baylor employees who mishandled sexual assault allegations, there was a predictable backlash against an organization that should have known this would be the result before it even took up the case.

We already knew the NCAA had no power to punish schools in that circumstance because the NCAA took an L in court after imposing sanctions on Penn State for the Jerry Sandusky scandal. In the intervening years, the schools who make up the NCAA’s membership could have made rules that would have allowed the NCAA to punish schools or coaches or athletic directors in such cases. The schools could have created bylaws that might help protect students from actual harm, but the schools chose not to do that.

Instead, the schools and their conferences joined the NCAA to go to court and fight for the rules that really did matter to them: The ones that kept people who are good at sports from being paid for being good at sports.

That worked out quite poorly for the schools and the NCAA. The rules against outside compensation for athletes were first deemed illegal by various states. Then, in June, the Supreme Court handed the NCAA a rare 9-0 shutout in a case regarding how much athletes can receive in educational benefits from schools. Reading between the lines of the majority opinion, the subtext was: “If any of your other rules regarding compensation come before the federal courts, they’ll get swatted down too.”

With those rules either declared illegal or in danger of being declared illegal, the NCAA can only enforce a few competitive equity bylaws that — as anyone who has watched college football the past 10 years can attest — don’t actually do anything to encourage competitive equity.

One of those is a rule that limits the act of coaching to the head coach, 10 on-field assistants and a few graduate assistants in football. No one at the highest level of college football actually abides by this rule, which is why it is rarely enforced. Coach A would be loathe to turn in Coach B for breaking that rule when Coach A also has an analyst meeting with his quarterbacks and a director of player personnel evaluating recruits daily.

It seems the only attempts to enforce this rule come when a school would prefer not to pay a coach who has lost too many games. Former Kansas athletic director Jeff Long tried this after firing coach David Beaty and promising to pay Beaty’s buyout. This blew up spectacularly during a deposition when Long was shown videos of members of then-coach Les Miles’ staff violating the same set of rules. Kansas settled with Beaty, and the cost of the settlement plus legal fees added up to almost exactly what Kansas would have paid had Long simply honored his word in the first place.

For Frost, this certainly doesn’t seem fireable right now. After Brett McMurphy of The Action Network reported the details of the NCAA investigation Wednesday, Frost and new Nebraska athletic director Trev Alberts addressed the media. They did not seem concerned. Nor should either of them be concerned at the moment. If Frost has a good season in Lincoln, then Nebraska can slap his wrist, apologize to no one in particular and move on.

Now, if Frost’s team happens to lose at Illinois in the season opener a week from Saturday? He should start getting very concerned. So should his assistants.

Nebraska is 12-20 in three seasons under Frost, the former Cornhuskers quarterback who arrived with great fanfare after going 13-0 at UCF in 2017. If anyone could revive the fortunes of a program that seven years ago fired Bo Pelini because he could only win nine games a season, it was Frost. Everyone, including me, was sure Frost could win at his alma mater. Except he hasn’t revived anything. He hasn’t even led the Cornhuskers to bowl eligibility. If Nebraska did hold secret workouts last year when other teams’ players were forced to work out on their own, they didn’t help. The Cornhuskers went 3-5.

Four years ago, Nebraska fired athletic director Shawn Eichorst in a prelude to firing coach Mike Riley, whom Eichorst presumably hired because Riley would yell at him far less than Pelini did. Earlier this year, the Cornhuskers shoved out AD Bill Moos, who in 2019 handed Frost one of the most inexplicable contract extensions in college football history.

With no one else bidding for Frost’s services and with Frost sitting on an 8-13 record at Nebraska, the Cornhuskers extended him two more seasons (through 2026). And while some schools do offer coaches on-paper extensions for recruiting purposes, Moos guaranteed another $5 million of Nebraska’s money for no apparent reason. Had Frost been fired after the 2021 season with no extension, he’d have been owed $15 million. The extension gets Frost $20 million if he’s fired after this season.

Except now, as if by magic, it doesn’t.

If Nebraska officials are unsatisfied with Frost’s results after this season — and if the Cornhuskers play like they have the past three seasons, they will be — then they would be within their rights to fire Frost and pay him nothing. His contract clearly states that the school can terminate the deal for cause if he is found to be involved in any “deliberate and serious violation of rules and regulations of the NCAA, the Conference or the University.”

Of course, “serious” is in the eye of the beholder. Frost would fight back. So if the school does decide to go that route, it likely would offer Frost an amount far less than $20 million to resign. And that’s where things would get interesting for Frost’s assistants, most of whom are under contract through 2022.

Frost’s assistants have clauses in their contracts that automatically terminate their deals if Frost resigns or retires. The school would owe them nothing. Some assistants — offensive coordinator Matt Lubick and linebackers coach Mike Dawson — have an even more severe clause in their deals.

This paragraph is from Lubick’s deal:

“The Coach’s continued employment is contingent upon the continued employment of the Head Football Coach. Accordingly, if the Head Football Coach’s employment with the University should end for any reason during the term of this Agreement, the Coach’s employment and this Agreement will terminate on the same date that the Head Football Coach’s employment ends, and the University shall be released from all further obligations to the Coach under this Agreement, including without limitation any further obligations to compensate the Coach in any manner.”

So the NCAA’s rules wouldn’t only allow Nebraska to reduce the amount it owes Frost. They also would reduce or eliminate the cost of firing his assistants. Either way, the school will spend something on lawyers trying to determine the extent of the rule-breaking. And that number will be a lot less than the $20 million-plus it would cost to just plain fire Frost and his staff.

If all that came to pass, it would represent the extent to which the NCAA’s rules can be used for anything post-Supreme Court: helping bail a school out of a buyout.