Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

1 hour ago, huge said:

Ok so youre saying I should get a Lews baitcaster instead?  I'm open to that too.

All I have is shimano, I wouldnt mind mixing it up.

Shimano fine too.  I think you get more out of a $200 Lews than you do a $200 shimano, though.  I think the top shelf shimano is still the way to go, but not what you suggested in budget.  If that makes sense.  I like my ~$200 speed spools better than a curado, for example.  But not more than my Cores/51s. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Lew's fan here as well. I've still got a couple of the old round green Curados from the late 90s that I use for big heavy cranks or for cat fishing, but had spotty luck on a couple of newer ones ~10 years ago. I never been able to bring myself to pony up for the top of the line Shimano reels though. I've bought Daiwa or Lew's the last few times I needed a new reel and have been really impressed by the Lew's.

I got this one a few weeks ago out of the bargain bin on Tackle Warehouse and it can sling a swimbait farther than I need it to.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Mach_2_SLP_Series_Casting_Reels/descpage-M2SL.html

So I popped an orvis rod awhile back and finally went to register it so I could send it in for repair.

They now have a replacement option where they just mail you whatever section broke for $60. Was at my door less than 36 hours after submitting the claim.

Unreal.

My sage buddies spend 8+ months trying to get their shit back.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

8 hours ago, The Royal We said:

I never been able to bring myself to pony up for the top of the line Shimano reels though.

You should treat yourself. I sent in a 15 yo MG to have completely rebuilt once, and they changed something like $4 in parts.   I treat my reels like I’ll never get another one, but not afraid to use them (this 51 has mahi and some Bliners on its ledger, for example).  The upper echelon isn’t in the same class as the curados, even back to the famed greens.  

4 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

They now have a replacement option where they just mail you whatever section broke for $60. Was at my door less than 36 hours after submitting the claim.

My last experience was really good with them too, on a casting rod they no longer made. Sent me a replacement that was about $100 more than I had paid 10 years prior.  I didn’t love the action so I called and talked to them about it, and they swapped that one for another after that.   They were really good to work with.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, The Royal We said:

Lew's fan here as well. I've still got a couple of the old round green Curados from the late 90s that I use for big heavy cranks or for cat fishing, but had spotty luck on a couple of newer ones ~10 years ago. I never been able to bring myself to pony up for the top of the line Shimano reels though. I've bought Daiwa or Lew's the last few times I needed a new reel and have been really impressed by the Lew's.

I got this one a few weeks ago out of the bargain bin on Tackle Warehouse and it can sling a swimbait farther than I need it to.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Mach_2_SLP_Series_Casting_Reels/descpage-M2SL.html

i had a green curado back in the day. it was damn red fish killer !!!!!

the shimanos are worth the money, they'll bury you with that reel 

Edited by tx 3 putt

On 5/3/2023 at 8:58 AM, huge said:

Every bit of fishing gear I own is saltwater and at our Crystal Beach house.  

I dont have a rig for ponds/lakes and my kid wants to start exploring places around Houston.

I have him handled but now I need a setup for me.  Should I just go ask at FTU or do you idiots have the right information?

is he old enough for pier fishing ?

On 5/3/2023 at 12:01 PM, huge said:

I was thinking 2-300 for rod and reel.  Stradic is the first thing I saw that seemed like what I would pick out on my own.

The Stradic Ci4 is my favorite egg beater. 

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

i had a green curado back in the day. it was damn red fish killer !!!!!

the shimanos are worth the money, they'll bury you with that reel 

I won a Curado and a 7 ft All Star Shrimp Tail Special at a CCA banquet when I was in high school and I still have it. It was the first good rig that I ever owned and it's got tons of red fish on the wall and I caught what is still my PR bass on it too.

• Drool 1

1 minute ago, The Royal We said:

I won a Curado and a 7 ft All Star Shrimp Tail Special at a CCA banquet when I was in high school and I still have it. It was the first good rig that I ever owned and it's got tons of red fish on the wall and I caught what is still my PR bass on it too.

i forget the rod I bought, but back in the day walmart sporting goods section was solid. new in box curado and a 7ft graphite rod. my og rig was a daiwa (bought on close out) and some random rod 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

So I popped an orvis rod awhile back and finally went to register it so I could send it in for repair.

Unreal.

My sage buddies spend 8+ months trying to get their shit back.

TFO has been doing that for a while. Meanwhile, Scott has probably had my 8wt at their repair facility half its life

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

TFO has been doing that for a while. Meanwhile, Scott has probably had my 8wt at their repair facility half its life

Bulldog is working the fly fishing show circuit these days for his lodge and has been talking to the rod manufacturers...someone told him it cost like $20 for them to make a high end rod. What are these fuckers doing? 

• Rage+1 1

33 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Bulldog is working the fly fishing show circuit these days for his lodge and has been talking to the rod manufacturers...someone told him it cost like $20 for them to make a high end rod. What are these fuckers doing? 

And why aren't we getting some of that?

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

He just sent me a bunch of SA lines for $30 per.

Shoot him a text if you need anything…he said there are guide discounts which are basically wholesale cost then there are lodge discounts which are at cost.

No, I meant why aren't we getting high end fly rods for $20 and selling them for $1,000

16 hours ago, The Royal We said:

I still have 3 All Star Shrimp Tail specials. 

And a few All Star Titaniums.

Damn fine roods.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

I still have 3 All Star Shrimp Tail specials. 

And a few All Star Titaniums.

Damn fine roods.

I still enjoy fishing with it. It's whippy as hell and you can almost load it like a fly rod to shoot out certain baits. But then I pick up a Loomis or one of my Kistler pool cues and have to totally reset.

3 hours ago, The Royal We said:

I still enjoy fishing with it. It's whippy as hell and you can almost load it like a fly rod to shoot out certain baits. But then I pick up a Loomis or one of my Kistler pool cues and have to totally reset.

I waited a decade too long to start buying really good rods.  Amazing the difference in fatigue.  Then pairing it with an MG when they came out; was like a Holy experience.  

14 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I love my 3 and 6 weights, my 3 is probably my most favorite. Had a 9 I gave it to marlon brando’s son super drunk after catching a GT, my Thomas & Thomas and Scott 12 and 8 are good but I see no reason to buy anything but TFO they perform so great. When tailwaters sold me my salt set ups I think they wanted the price tag. Don’t blame them but I won’t make that mistake again.

• Hook 'Em 1

I love my 3 and 6 weights, my 3 is probably my most favorite. Had a 9 I gave it to marlon brando’s son super drunk after catching a GT, my Thomas & Thomas and Scott 12 and 8 are good but I see no reason to buy anything but TFO they perform so great. When tailwaters sold me my salt set ups I think they wanted the price tag. Don’t blame them but I won’t make that mistake again.
Yeah thanks again for recommending TFO. I feel like a fucking wizard casting my 5 weight. Looking at an 8 weight soon.

I got an 8 weight 10th Anniversary TFO TiCrX in 2007. Used it at the coast for a year or so, then put it away. I apparently didn't clean it very well and when I pulled it out in 2022 an eyelet had corroded. $60 later and my 15 year old rod was good as new. I'm a big fan of TFO products and service.

• Like 1

Going to the Colorado or llano tomorrow need your best spots tell me. Taking the 3 and two 6 weights. Not kayaking will wade so need public access. Don’t care what I catch other than the sun setting with a nice ipa to wash it down. Thinking either McKinney roughs or Castell.

39 minutes ago, troph said:

Going to the Colorado or llano tomorrow need your best spots tell me. Taking the 3 and two 6 weights. Not kayaking will wade so need public access. Don’t care what I catch other than the sun setting with a nice ipa to wash it down. Thinking either McKinney roughs or Castell.

I think with the rain the Austin area got yesterday and maybe tonight, I would head west and fish the Llano.  My go to spot for wading the Llano is starting at the confluence of the Llano and the James Rivers (30.64907, -99.25000).  You can wade down quite a ways and wade up to where to rivers meet.  You can also head further up the James and wade a lot (depending on the water level).  Last year I fished the James up past the bat cave (30.56545, -99.32981) and caught plenty of Guads and a couple Rios.

I haven't fished Castell, but there is probably plenty of wading available there as well.  The guy that owns Castell Store, and much of Castell, is nutty MAGA douche. 

If I am making a full day of it, I'll leave before dawn and drive way out west and then fish several spots on the way back.

If you haven't picked up a copy of Aaron Reed's Fly Fishing Austin & Central Texas, do you self a favor and get one.  He sets out 50 different wades in 21 rivers/creeks within a couple hours drive from Lady Bird Lake.

50 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I think with the rain the Austin area got yesterday and maybe tonight, I would head west and fish the Llano.  My go to spot for wading the Llano is starting at the confluence of the Llano and the James Rivers (30.64907, -99.25000).  You can wade down quite a ways and wade up to where to rivers meet.  You can also head further up the James and wade a lot (depending on the water level).  Last year I fished the James up past the bat cave (30.56545, -99.32981) and caught plenty of Guads and a couple Rios.

I haven't fished Castell, but there is probably plenty of wading available there as well.  The guy that owns Castell Store, and much of Castell, is nutty MAGA douche. 

If I am making a full day of it, I'll leave before dawn and drive way out west and then fish several spots on the way back.

If you haven't picked up a copy of Aaron Reed's Fly Fishing Austin & Central Texas, do you self a favor and get one.  He sets out 50 different wades in 21 rivers/creeks within a couple hours drive from Lady Bird Lake.

A trans lady who fishes central Texas and the Texas coast yeah I gotta just let the Maga shit go if I want to be outdoors. Besides they often like me anyway - even republicans wanna watch. But damn if I owned that place I’d make it a much cooler place to hang out.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I think that might be too far for tomorrow what about the crossing at county road 103? Ever fished there?

11 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I haven't, but the river looks plenty fishable.  I would probably hit Castell, then 103, and 102.

I think that’s my plan and I’ll get up to James this season. Gonna kayak the Colorado this season too. 

13 minutes ago, troph said:

Tell me more about this club? 

I'm a member of the San Gabriel Fly Fishers in Georgetown.  One informative meeting per month, usually one outing a month, fly casting clinics, fly tying sessions, etc.  Its a good group, but probably a bit of a drive for you.  

Austin Fly Fishers meets off of Northland with a similar set up.  They are actually doing an outing next Saturday to the Llano hosted by Jim Gray.  Jim is an amazing fisherman with tons of knowledge (just Google Jim Gray fly fishing).  He designed some of the flies I fish on the Llano.  Fly fishing clubs provide great education and opportunities to fish in new places.

My oldest decided she was ready to fly fish. Took her and a friend out today and they both caught their first 2. Mine didn’t want to leave and at one point screamed “CAN WE DO THIS EVERY SATURDAY?!?”

We’ll work on the grip at some point.

6055BE8D-3FC4-4C8C-ABCB-4A354D3DFB38.thumb.jpeg.bfe4558822647fa0c0e3f7448337ab66.jpeg
E42855AB-7231-48A7-929A-90EDCBA5C240.thumb.jpeg.43b18194a4c193051fb0fa9499a31012.jpeg
Fork? That's not the CO.

43 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:
My oldest decided she was ready to fly fish. Took her and a friend out today and they both caught their first 2. Mine didn’t want to leave and at one point screamed “CAN WE DO THIS EVERY SATURDAY?!?”
emoji3059.png
We’ll work on the grip at some point.

6055BE8D-3FC4-4C8C-ABCB-4A354D3DFB38.thumb.jpeg.bfe4558822647fa0c0e3f7448337ab66.jpeg
E42855AB-7231-48A7-929A-90EDCBA5C240.thumb.jpeg.43b18194a4c193051fb0fa9499a31012.jpeg

Fork? That's not the CO.

👆

where the women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I should clarify, by "cool" I meant water temp. I think the Llano is a very cool  river. 

I knew what you meant. Last summer it was unfishable in many spots even for warm water fish because it was so hot. 

Edited by troph

Bite was slow, but the scene was nice and it was easy to be lazy. Poppers meh, moved to a dry fly and just fished the current. Probably had 8-9 bites (too much not paying attention or trout setting like a n00b (I know better), caught some small guads like this one hiding by the rocks at the base of the flows. They attack, it’s fun.  Drift and all that’s amazing about watching your fly in the current then bam, even a little smallie says “I’LL TAKE THAT!!”

79675C42-A741-4366-94E7-23A24DE09428.jpeg

Not sure where the bigger ones are I’ve not had any luck catching larger ones on the llano. I fished my 5/6 wt I think I’ll fish my 3 next time. 

Didn’t really try very hard it was nice zoning out watching the drift - I’m serious the flows were really, really nice. Depth was 3-3.5 feet except in some shallow places on the sides. Nice currents with deep pools at their base. I probably could have done better I just didn’t care.  Our pup got to roll in the mud, the beer was cold, the air and water temperature were nice, the spring sounds were mesmerizing - damn I love the sound of the crickets and frogs, dragon flies came out and played. It was a nice afternoon. Drive home in the twilight was great the hill country is a magical place.

Edited by troph
  • Like 6

Just thinking back, it’s pretty cool to basically trout fish for guads less than 2 hours away. Woke up to that phantom feeling of still wading in the current watching my fly float down the current and land in the pool below. It sure would be nice if the flows remained this year. Last year and the stagnant hot water made me want to cry. 

Edited by troph

13 hours ago, troph said:

Bite was slow, but the scene was nice and it was easy to be lazy. Poppers meh, moved to a dry fly and just fished the current. Probably had 8-9 bites (too much not paying attention or trout setting like a n00b (I know better), caught some small guads like this one hiding by the rocks at the base of the flows. They attack, it’s fun.  Drift and all that’s amazing about watching your fly in the current then bam, even a little smallie says “I’LL TAKE THAT!!”

79675C42-A741-4366-94E7-23A24DE09428.jpeg

Not sure where the bigger ones are I’ve not had any luck catching larger ones on the llano. I fished my 5/6 wt I think I’ll fish my 3 next time. 

Didn’t really try very hard it was nice zoning out watching the drift - I’m serious the flows were really, really nice. Depth was 3-3.5 feet except in some shallow places on the sides. Nice currents with deep pools at their base. I probably could have done better I just didn’t care.  Our pup got to roll in the mud, the beer was cold, the air and water temperature were nice, the spring sounds were mesmerizing - damn I love the sound of the crickets and frogs, dragon flies came out and played. It was a nice afternoon. Drive home in the twilight was great the hill country is a magical place.

Sounds like an awesome outing.  I would suggest that the 3wt is plenty on the Llano.  Also, you should toss some streamers.  Oft times, the larger fish will not hit on the top, but will devour subsurface.

Also, as for fly fishing clubs, you might look into the Texas Women Fly Fishers.  There are a few women in my club that are also members of TWFF.

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

Sounds like an awesome outing.  I would suggest that the 3wt is plenty on the Llano.  Also, you should toss some streamers.  Oft times, the larger fish will not hit on the top, but will devour subsurface.

Also, as for fly fishing clubs, you might look into the Texas Women Fly Fishers.  There are a few women in my club that are also members of TWFF.

yeah when I said lazy, I really meant it.  After my third fly change I was bound and determined not to change again.  next up was streamers but I wasn't feeling it.  I generally go large popper to a smaller popper then to a streamer or 3, then a crawfish type pattern if all else has failed.  watching a dry fly that's actually attracting nibbles is just too mesmerizing to change.

Thanks for the club rec and yeah 3 wt all the way. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

dumb question @troph but when you say dry flies for bass, are you talking about hoppers or just attractor patterns or what?

I was throwing a small foam a grasshopper or waspy type bug. it was not a popper. here's a pic of a fly similar to the one I was using:

edit - wife took my car with my gear to run an errand / this pic is terrible / the flyI used was actually smaller and I wasn't quite sure if it was a grasshopper or a another flying insect.

47E5AFCA-CE00-4D47-8571-2C88838120E0.jpeg

here's a quick article I found:

https://www.flyfisherman.com/editorial/fly-fishing-for-bass/152215

I didn't read it carefully enough for total accuracy but it gets the point across.

Dry flies. Popping-bug fishing is the most exciting fishing you can do for both smallmouth and largemouth bass but bass also rise to dead-drifted dry flies, much like trout. On big and small rivers and lakes where there are mayflies, caddis, and other aquatic insects, bass seek out drifting adult insects and sip them from the surface. You can use the same flies and the same presentation strategies as you would dry-fly fishing for trout. The most significant difference between bass and trout feeding habits is that trout often rise to extremely small food items. Mature bass tend to ignore small aquatic insects like midges and small mayflies, so bring big Parachute Adams (#8-14) and large, bushy drys such as Brown, White, or Royal Wulffs to imitate large mayflies like the White Fly, Green Drake, Brown Drake, and Hexagenia.

the cool part about the guad bass is it's used to our shallow rivers and currents so it has adapted much like a trout. it likes structure and will be near the current and will rise up and smash a bug floating by it.  i'm not super well versed in all our rivers but I love the flow of the llano and trade off for smaller fish to enjoy the scene. I think in the other rivers like the colorado, san marcos, the guadalupe, etc. it may act more like a traditional bass at times but the guide I've gone with says go ahead and fish it like a trout (with bigger bugs) when the current is there.

It's by far my preferred method even if secondary in success to poppers and streamers.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'm the same in summer even in deeper slower water; if they don't want a big popper I'll switch to some sort of hopper pattern, and if they don't want that I'll throw various traditional dry flies. I find that as small dries sink just below the surface a few inches smaller fish will swarm and often larger fish will take notice and aggressively eat out of spite. The small nibbles will wear out the fly quick but it works as a last resort before throwing streamers. I only enjoy streamers if I can see fish. Blind casting is not as enjoyable for me.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

I'm the same in summer even in deeper slower water; if they don't want a big popper I'll switch to some sort of hopper pattern, and if they don't want that I'll throw various traditional dry flies. I find that as small dries sink just below the surface a few inches smaller fish will swarm and often larger fish will take notice and aggressively eat out of spite. The small nibbles will wear out the fly quick but it works as a last resort before throwing streamers. I only enjoy streamers if I can see fish. Blind casting is not as enjoyable for me.

Sight casting streamers is awesome. That’s almost the only thing I’ll throw out in brushy creek bc it’s so clear.

slapping a foam bug on the surface in slow moving water is fun too though. 

Edited by troph

Sight casting streamers is awesome. That’s almost the only thing I’ll throw out in brushy creek bc it’s so clear.
slapping a foam bug on the surface in slow moving water is fun too though. 
I need to hit brushy before Super Summer is in effect. I had an amazing time throwing streamers to trout on the guad this spring. They were in a riffle above a deep pool likely eating sucker spawn. Watching a smaller trout follow it, then having a bigger fish get pissed and charge my fly was awesome.
  • Drool 1