Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

8 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
1 hour ago, troph said:
Sight casting streamers is awesome. That’s almost the only thing I’ll throw out in brushy creek bc it’s so clear.
slapping a foam bug on the surface in slow moving water is fun too though. 

I need to hit brushy before Super Summer is in effect. I had an amazing time throwing streamers to trout on the guad this spring. They were in a riffle above a deep pool likely eating sucker spawn. Watching a smaller trout follow it, then having a bigger fish get pissed and charge my fly was awesome.

I graduated to streamers on the guad this winter too, fun times.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2023 at 2:26 PM, Pescado_Rojo said:

You and me both, brother. When the boy is free, the wind is blowing...when he's got shit going on the weather is great. 

Buddies absolutely crushed the reds all last week in the shallow shallows. Anywhere from Allyns to Spaulding along the south shoreline.  Stayed for 5 days, sightcasting pods.  Talking 12-15+ slot fish days for 5 guys, all week.   Trout were scarce.  Got pics of tailing schools daily.  Get the boy down there!    

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

13 hours ago, troph said:

I was throwing a small foam a grasshopper or waspy type bug. it was not a popper. here's a pic of a fly similar to the one I was using:

edit - wife took my car with my gear to run an errand / this pic is terrible / the flyI used was actually smaller and I wasn't quite sure if it was a grasshopper or a another flying insect.

47E5AFCA-CE00-4D47-8571-2C88838120E0.jpeg

here's a quick article I found:

https://www.flyfisherman.com/editorial/fly-fishing-for-bass/152215

I didn't read it carefully enough for total accuracy but it gets the point across.

the cool part about the guad bass is it's used to our shallow rivers and currents so it has adapted much like a trout. it likes structure and will be near the current and will rise up and smash a bug floating by it.  i'm not super well versed in all our rivers but I love the flow of the llano and trade off for smaller fish to enjoy the scene. I think in the other rivers like the colorado, san marcos, the guadalupe, etc. it may act more like a traditional bass at times but the guide I've gone with says go ahead and fish it like a trout (with bigger bugs) when the current is there.

It's by far my preferred method even if secondary in success to poppers and streamers.

Wow. I had no idea bass ate aquatic bugs on the surface like trout. I assumed they would come up and hammer a hopper (or anything else that would make a splash), but had no clue they would sip big mayflies or other insects floating on the surface.

Wow. I had no idea bass ate aquatic bugs on the surface like trout. I assumed they would come up and hammer a hopper (or anything else that would make a splash), but had no clue they would sip big mayflies or other insects floating on the surface.
They eat fucking everything. Total garbage disposals like all fish some days. I've been on camping trips where guys want a few bluegills etc for Catfish. Pretty quick and easy work with small flies then some 3-4 lb bass charges in like Leroy Jenkins to a fight. My second biggest bass was on a Small hopper targeting bluegill for brunch. Around 8 lbs.
  • Drool 1

Hey so we are going to be near Aspen for all of July. I’d love to find a backcountry guide to take me to virgin alpine streams. I don’t even care if I catch anything but I do want to get lost and find something up high in the middle of nowhere. How does one go about this? 

21 hours ago, MalibuSheriff said:

I enjoyed reading the posts about the Llano.  During all my years in Austin, the Llano was my favorite place to de-stress flinging flies around for Guads and trout in the winter.  County Road 102 was my favorite.  I’d park on north side of the river, hike downstream to the big pool and wade back upstream to the crossing.  Lots of good memories there.

IMG_0691.thumb.jpeg.810c143004c095c7952b1012f762966d.jpeg

IMG_7658.thumb.jpeg.8d257b43c753dfd4fe4fce692c398fb7.jpeg

IMG_7901.thumb.jpeg.6a0e098c339369de278859bed3ee55a1.jpeg

Leaving Austin before dawn, driving out 71 past Packsaddle Mountain as sun is coming up, fishing all day, and then dinner at Cooper’s is about as fine of a day as you can have anywhere.

100% this though I go for late lunch and fish til the sun goes down and drive home in the twilight. I didn’t make it to 102 in part because I haven’t done it and was worried about access but based on this I’m going to next time. 

I don’t know how to explain it but when the angst of life hits me, and I need my north star that’s one of the few places I go. It’s like church. I’m usually so overwhelmed I really don’t fish I just let the scene, the cast, drift and flow wash over me and I let it all out. Dusty or allergies or whatever shit happens, the llano is a spiritual place.  I bet the devils is too. There are only a few places in this world like that for me and the llano is one of them. I love that river. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

Hey so we are going to be near Aspen for all of July. I’d love to find a backcountry guide to take me to virgin alpine streams. I don’t even care if I catch anything but I do want to get lost and find something up high in the middle of nowhere. How does one go about this? 

You don’t need a guide. Find any blue line on a map and it’ll hold fish that will devour whatever you put in front of them.

Remind me again where y’all stay? Up above Basalt near Reudi?

• Drool 1

5 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

You don’t need a guide. Find any blue line on a map and it’ll hold fish that will devour whatever you put in front of them.

Remind me again where y’all stay? Up above Basalt near Reudi?

We will be in Carbondale in a hood with 2 miles of private access to the fork. so that’s my daily fishing. Need some weekend adventure.

We were up in the elevation from reudi last time and can totally make it up there.  That road from basalt to reudi is magical happy to go up there again. First Colorado trout I caught on my own was upstream from the reudi.

12 hours ago, troph said:

We will be in Carbondale in a hood with 2 miles of private access to the fork. so that’s my daily fishing. Need some weekend adventure.

We were up in the elevation from reudi last time and can totally make it up there.  That road from basalt to reudi is magical happy to go up there again. First Colorado trout I caught on my own was upstream from the reudi.

Ranch at Roaring Fork I presume?

They have some creeks that run through the property that are fishable during runoff which is great for you because we’re going to have a doozy of a melt this year. The Fork usually isn’t fishable until July 4ish but who knows what that looks like this year.

In any event, will shoot you a PM, happy to show you some of my secret high country spots where even @Pescado_Rojo can catch fish.*

*so long as they haven’t shocked the creek and pulled out the fish.

Edited by DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

They have some creeks that run through the property that are fishable during runoff which is great for you because we’re going to have a doozy of a melt this year. The Fork usually isn’t fishable until July 4ish but who knows what that looks like this year.

In any event, will shoot you a PM, happy to show you some of my secret high country spots where even @Pescado_Rojo can catch fish.*

I’d have to look up the neighborhood that might be it. We are there for July so that’s good I guess, I read where last year the river was closed later summer due to heat. Now I find out it’s not fishable until July on a normal year. I hope it works out. 

I’d love some intel thank you, sincerely. 

16 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

*But not as many as little  Rojo...

6 minutes ago, troph said:

I’d have to look up the neighborhood that might be it. We are there for July so that’s good I guess, I read where last year the river was closed later summer due to heat. Now I find out it’s not fishable until July on a normal year. I hope it works out. 

I’d love some intel thank you, sincerely. 

There’s only 2 developments with that much private water and the other doesn’t allow short term rentals so I’m guessing that’s your spot.

Last summer was a monsoonal summer. The water was cold and the fish were happy 😃 

July is the best month of the year, you’ll have plenty of options, especially if you’re able to fish the creeks in RRF 🤙

Just now, Pescado_Rojo said:

*But not as many as little  Rojo...

Alonzomourning.gif

There’s only 2 developments with that much private water and the other doesn’t allow short term rentals so I’m guessing that’s your spot.

Last summer was a monsoonal summer. The water was cold and the fish were happy 😃 

July is the best month of the year, you’ll have plenty of options, especially if you’re able to fish the creeks in RRF 🤙

Alonzomourning.gif

Looked it up again, Yeah that’s it.  Our back yard is creek front.  I’m happy with creeks esp if it means smaller fish, my 3 wt TFO/Ross combo is my hands down fav to fish. The rod action with a little fighter on is so addictive. 

Edited by troph

1 minute ago, troph said:

Looked it up again, Yeah that’s it.  Our back yard is creek front.  I’m happy with creeks esp if it means smaller fish, my 3 wt TFO/Ross combo is my hands down fav to fish. The rod action with a little fighter on is so addictive. 

please tell me you rented the house with the giant bronze elk and the huge wine cellar

There was some summer recently where it was closed late summer memory is fuzzy. Anyway, I need a month of fishing every day just hope I don’t end my recent marriage over it. 

reminds me of the celebration dinner in the Tahitian village after my GT - marlon Brando’s son drunk off his ass says to her while shaking his head … if your husband or wife likes to fish there’s nothing you can do but be patient.

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I think DNHC said the guy that built that house was aggy. It was for sale last time I was up there...2020? Jesus, I need to go back. 

You’re invited, I’m sure my wife will be thrilled to have a man I met on the internet crash with us for a weekend. 

15 minutes ago, troph said:

There’s massive fish in that creek. You will get absolutely trucked if you throw a 3 wt at them. Save that stick for the high country.

3 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

@DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt Sound familiar? 

“Hi Mrs. Colt, I’m from the internet!”

20 minutes ago, troph said:

Make sure your property owner has a fishing tag for RRF. It costs extra and some homes don’t come with it in there.

There’s some salty old bastards that live in there that are always checking badges. I poach that section of the Fork and always have run-ins with them.

There’s massive fish in that creek. You will get absolutely trucked if you throw a 3 wt at them. Save that stick for the high country.

this is why I keep you around hollywood.

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Make sure your property owner has a fishing tag for RRF. It costs extra and some homes don’t come with it in there.

There’s some salty old bastards that live in there that are always checking badges. I poach that section of the Fork and always have run-ins with them.

we get two badges.  I'll have my kids one week on, one week off. I suspect I will walk with them and help them but not fish at all when they are with me. when its my week off, I'll have an extra. hint hint.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

Pretty sure that was 2018, Bubba.

I was up there by myself in 18, but C and I came in 2020. I remember because it was covid summer and every time we stopped for gas and food we had to mask up. He really wants to try to get up there this summer. Need to figure out how to make it work. 

9 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

That seems less than ideal.

You don't like to fish while sitting in a pile of your shit?

One time we were offshore about 45 miles and it was HOT AF.  I was getting ready to jump overboard to cool off and the biggest hammerhead I've ever seen to date appeared right along the port.   I'm almost certain I have not cooled off in that manner since.  I understand the odds, but still. 

7 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

One time we were offshore about 45 miles and it was HOT AF.  I was getting ready to jump overboard to cool off and the biggest hammerhead I've ever seen to date appeared right along the port.   I'm almost certain I have not cooled off in that manner since.  I understand the odds, but still. 

Yeah fuck that nonsense not in open trolling waters.  Probably not in any open water. 

I swim out there all the time, I just don't do so while we have bait in the water, except the time when I was 15 and had to clear a net in the prop on a shrimp boat. It's pretty easy to tell a sharks skin from a fish even in shitty visibility. That's not fun, but open ocean is fine. I once had to change a fuel filter below deck and got sick as fuck from the gas fumes. Quick dip and I was right as rain. Completed the trip too. Cut rope out of the wheels many times- that shit sucks because inherently bait is usually around. Always bring a mask but still haven't seen a whale shark.

We once hooked a mako on a big ass live hard tail that almost came in the boat, at night, Fuck That.
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Born to Run said:

I swim out there all the time, I just don't do so while we have bait in the water, except the time when I was 15 and had to clear a net in the prop on a shrimp boat. It's pretty easy to tell a sharks skin from a fish even in shitty visibility. That's not fun, but open ocean is fine. I once had to change a fuel filter below deck and got sick as fuck from the gas fumes. Quick dip and I was right as rain. Completed the trip too. Cut rope out of the wheels many times- that shit sucks because inherently bait is usually around. Always bring a mask but still haven't seen a whale shark.

We once hooked a mako on a big ass live hard tail that almost came in the boat, at night, Fuck That.

Same.  It was a normal way of cooling off from when I was a child until that dude showed up.   We weren't fishing at the time, we were just pulling up on a very, very small point offshore.  It was a big flange that had become uncovered, and was on our schedule to fix that summer on a flyby with a DSV.  So we fished it a few times before and would crush the snapper.  Just a single little spool with a couple of flanges that no one would ever know about unless you were on the IRM side.

On 5/15/2023 at 10:52 PM, troph said:

Yeah fuck that. I’ll scuba with sharks but I ain’t swimming on the surface treading water like a wounded mammal off a fishing boat with all the stink that comes with it. 

While treading water, a buddy and I watched an 8 footer swim up and under us, so close we could see the remoras clinging to him as it passed beneath us.  And by tread water, meant barely move.  But had the same thought, not going to attract attention.  Absolutely nothing we could do since we were too far out and no way we could swim to escape so didn't even try.  Beautiful sight I'd prefer to never see again. 

My dudes,

Need a recommendation for a solo DIY fly fishing trip in late July.  3 or 4 night "long weekend" trip.  Looking for a place that is accessible by flight out of Houston, preferably no more than two hour drive from whatever airport.  I'm an avid saltwater bait cast fisherman, and have dabbled with a fly rod, but am a novice on streams and rivers.

Mostly interested in the "experience" and not a trophy hunt.  Incorporating some aggressive hiking and even overnight camping is on the table.  I'm not interested in hiring a guide or outfitter, other than perhaps a shuttle service if necessary.

Examples of what I've considered:  Bighorn River Montana...but friend who goes regularly says "bit river, need guide."  Another friend recommends Pinedale Wyoming.  

Let me know your thoughts experiences.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MirrOlure said:

My dudes,

Need a recommendation for a solo DIY fly fishing trip in late July.  3 or 4 night "long weekend" trip.  Looking for a place that is accessible by flight out of Houston, preferably no more than two hour drive from whatever airport.  I'm an avid saltwater bait cast fisherman, and have dabbled with a fly rod, but am a novice on streams and rivers.

Mostly interested in the "experience" and not a trophy hunt.  Incorporating some aggressive hiking and even overnight camping is on the table.  I'm not interested in hiring a guide or outfitter, other than perhaps a shuttle service if necessary.

Examples of what I've considered:  Bighorn River Montana...but friend who goes regularly says "bit river, need guide."  Another friend recommends Pinedale Wyoming.  

Let me know your thoughts experiences.

Your friend is correct. Most rivers you have heard of are too big to effectively walk/wade and are fished from drift boats. You are going to want to target some high country streams for the scenery and lots of willing trout, which will be on the small side generally. I know the area around lake city and telluride Colorado but there are great spots from New Mexico to Idaho. Pick an area or town and then figure out the surrounding streams. Best bet would be the ones where you have to hike a couple miles first. 

There are lots of good streams in rocky mountain national park which is easily accessible from Denver  

Edited by texastough
  • Like 1

We are RVing this weekend in on PINS. Caught my first Ladyfish and sea trout on the fly today. Cast was pretty fucking legit too, less effort more distance. Will flyfish the surf tomorrow just because the surf is 100 feet from my front door.  Actually looks promising birds are kamikaze diving all over and there’s a weed line  in the first cut (from the storm surge last week) that looks promising. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

We are RVing this weekend in on PINS. Caught my first Ladyfish and sea trout on the fly today. Cast was pretty fucking legit too, less effort more distance. Will flyfish the surf tomorrow just because the surf is 100 feet from my front door.  Actually looks promising birds are kamikaze diving all over and there’s a weed line  in the first cut (from the storm surge last week) that looks promising. 

This weekend is looking good for the surf mid-coast.  I’ll be chest deep on Sunday AM if it holds.  I’ve got some 51MRs that need the dust knocked off. 

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

@G650 or anyone else with offshore experience. We will be fishing in Key West in a couple of days. 6-hour time slot for three of us. What is a customary gratuity for this kind of trip?  
Thank you,

Kenny. 

Are you doing a small guide for tarpon with just the three of you or a bigger boat with other folks? On a tarpon or flats guide typically a hundred back in the day but it's probably more like 150 to 200 now.

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Are you doing a small guide for tarpon with just the three of you or a bigger boat with other folks? On a tarpon or flats guide typically a hundred back in the day but it's probably more like 150 to 200 now.

It’s a 45 foot boat with a captain and mate. Last time we used them we went about 15 miles offshore before we started fishing. Someone else paid for the trip last time, and I have no idea how to tip fishing guides. Thank you. 

It’s a 45 foot boat with a captain and mate. Last time we used them we went about 15 miles offshore before we started fishing. Someone else paid for the trip last time, and I have no idea how to tip fishing guides. Thank you. 

What’s the charter fee, and does in include fuel?
  • Like 1

This little lady jumped like 5 times, zigged, zagged, stripped all the way in and said nope and took 50 feet of slack line again and I had to bring it in on the reel. Easily as much fun as a red, pound for pound way more. Just wish it was on a 6 wt not an 8 wt. 

IMG_4112.jpeg

no my knees and elbows for that matter aren’t even a 6 - too much boon docking and roughing it out there to be pretty. So we can go ahead and get that out of the way. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1