Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

1 hour ago, The Royal We said:

Now I'm running down the rabbit hole on fly lines.

I've got a Loomis NRX 9' 5wt LP - which is probably 5 or 6 years old. I bought it from a friend and he gave me a Ross reel with unknown line on it as well. The line does have a sinking tip on it so I assume he had it set up for streamers and it really loads the rod up easily - maybe too much. I've got an extra spool for the reel and am thinking about setting this one up for dry flies. After a little googling for a good line match for this rod I found quite a few recommendations for SA Amplitude Smooth line:

https://www.finandfire.com/collections/freshwater-fly-lines/products/scientific-anglers-amplitude-smooth-trout-fly-line?variant=31661615841335

The Rio Premier Gold has some fans too.

https://www.finandfire.com/collections/freshwater-fly-lines/products/premier-rio-gold-fly-line?variant=32199034241079

I'm probably not really proficient enough to be able to tell the difference, but I need all the help I can get to make good casts. Any opinions?

I much prefer SA textured over smooth. Zips through the guides, less friction. Rio makes some decent trout lines but their saltwater lines are ass.

3 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I need new fly line for my 9' 5wt primarily used fishing in CO.  Which one would you go with?

https://www.scientificanglers.com/product/amplitude-smooth-trout/

or

https://www.orvis.com/pro-trout-line-smooth/2S6C.html

Don't quote me on this but fairly certain I heard that the Orvis pro line is SA re-branded.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

or

Don't quote me on this but fairly certain I heard that the Orvis pro line is SA re-branded.

I want your 4 wt and I'll get me a second 5 wt and go with the orvis H3 D and this line.

gear whore? sheeeit.  4 years in I have a 3 wt, 5 wt, 8 wt and a 12 wt combo of ross reels mostly and a starter redington reel, thomas & thomas rod, scott rod, and 2 TFOs. and I've got probably over $3000 worth of flies. not to mention about 4-5 cheap 5 wt set ups for noobs and my kids/wife who don't give a shit. now I want a 4 wt and a new 5 wt set up. oh, we have a tenkara rod too (though it broke).  it's an affliction for sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

or

Ended up with the Infinity Smooth since my shop was out of the Amplitude Smooth.  

https://www.scientificanglers.com/product/amplitude-smooth-infinity/

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

Heading to POC tomorrow and even if I have to take pics of other people’s fish at the dock, I vow to put an end to this drought of saltwater pics on this thread.

#MakeSurlySaltyAgain

Much to the chagrin of my wife I’ll be back to the coast when the devil takes his heat dome, goes back to hell and gets his ass out of our state.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, huge said:

11a12ca138bdf0c67e15c2f72e20ff77.jpg

Roaring Fork yesterday, good times

Very nice.

I’m going up in the mountain for some brookies and (fingers crossed) cutthroats tomorrow. 3 wt spotlight… not Hollywood said in a 3 mile stretch the creek might have thousands of fish who haven’t seen a fly. Please baby Jesus I’ve tried to live a good life… 

And here’s some more trout pron. 

IMG_2672.jpeg

IMG_2668.jpeg

first fish caught on my own out of the roaring fork as opposed to a side creek … caught against the bank there in the other pic.

IMG_2698.jpeg

IMG_2697.jpeg

Walk back reflecting on how magical these Colorado valleys can be.

IMG_2700.jpeg

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, huge said:

11a12ca138bdf0c67e15c2f72e20ff77.jpg

Just curious, but why aren't you wet wading?

There's something special about the simplicity of summer wading, when you can get away with a pair of low-profile hiking shoes and swimming trunks, cool water flowing underneath and hot sun bearing down from overhead. God, I love it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hookemATL said:

Nice troph!  Keep it up. 

my humble contribution is this healthy lmb I pulled out of bull creek. 

IMG_6250.jpeg

IMG_6249.jpeg

Having fished centex without much success the last few goes I can tell you those out of bull creek are mighty impressive! 

14 minutes ago, troph said:

Having fished centex without much success the last few goes I can tell you those out of bull creek are mighty impressive! 

Thanks! A little spot below a small damn along the St. Edwards Greenbelt.
Caught on a senko that this fucker bit in half. Only fish of the day but I was ok with it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Just curious, but why aren't you wet wading?

There's something special about the simplicity of summer wading, when you can get away with a pair of low-profile hiking shoes and swimming trunks, cool water flowing underneath and hot sun bearing down from overhead. God, I love it.

Next time I will. 

Of course the guide didn’t have waders…

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hookemATL said:

Troph that’s the best view of my anus I’ve ever seen!

First, you’re grounded for butthole talk in public. And second I didn’t think you liked to fish!!?

**we will talk about how you (my 13 year old son) ended up on surly later. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, troph said:

First, you’re grounded for butthole talk in public. And second I didn’t think you liked to fish!!?

**we will talk about how you (my 13 year old son) ended up on surly later. 

I’ve always enjoyed fishing but fly fishing grabbed hold of me during Covid. Now I find any free time I can to get on the creeks. 

trying to get better at catching/targeting bigger fish on the fly and really want to do a guided centex trip at some point. 

IMG_5762.jpeg

IMG_5288.jpeg

IMG_2893.jpeg

IMG_2445.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I love the small fish on light tackle.  

@hookemATL If you’re on insta, follow this guy… then book a trip with him. Split it with a buddy (maybe one from the internet 👀

https://instagram.com/cassiooohh?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

he taught me how to fly fish. 20– to 2018 I was a tourist angler. Now I find locals and the fly shop and do it alone with some success. Almost all because of this guy and another guide that’s retiring (reds at the coast). Cassio is an educator and taught at risk kids history before hanging that up to teach mostly men but a lot of kids and a few women how to fly fish. He’s a solid old school outdoorsmen. He’s respectful, meets you where you are, is an old school Texan - prefers the friendly, the humble, the hippies, the queers, and the curious. He picks up trash every time he goes out, and is gentle calm and just a cool guy. He is CenTex FT right now but wants to split time between CenTex and the coast for reds. He’s looking for his skiff now and studying for his Capitan license. He works with Alvin and Lennae (allwater guides). Cassio is a gem and may be the heir apparent to Alvin (that’s my assumption, I’ve not heard anyone say that). 

here he is teaching on insta … he doesn’t do this that much on insta but it does give you a feel for how thoughtful he can be. 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cr87vtup6Q6/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

book a trip with him or 8 over a few years and you will improve greatly. No doubt. 

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

THANK YOU! I have an equal amount of interest in both chasing reds and getting really good at freshwater here on my home turf. Headed to Port A in early august and will be conventional surf fishing there (any tips on best practices appreciated for that as well as I have mostly just thrown live bait off the piers). 

I will need to invest in a saltwater fly rod to pair with the Lamson reel I got last year (paired with SA fly line). I know FF for reds is a whole thing but I’ve become kinda obsessed with making it happen. 

All water guides is probably the best company to go with in Texas they will cover it all (Cassio books through them).  I like my reds guide but again he’s retiring in December and I think you want to establish a relationship.  

my humble opinion the way you progress (and you look like you’re pretty good already) is solo practice but invest in education. You gotta get on the water with a teacher. Some friends can help but they first have to be really good and have the teaching knack - some on here have it. In the end it’s the great guides that do that best. Once you learn then going with guides becomes a gear or specific location intel thing. I generally won’t fish the coast without a guide unless I just want to blind cast because I don’t know where the fish are and I don’t have the skiff.

I’m likely only fishing centex with guides now with my boys or friends who want to learn. 

I don’t know one damn thing about surf fishing well.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. I’ve got two young kids so I take what I can get when it comes to getting lines wet, and it’s often last minute so I usually just go solo.

I do intend to make it over to living waters soon to reup on a bunch of gear. 

Hit the jetties as well yeaterday.  Had a couple of youngins with us who more interested in swimming and trying to pet the dolphins instead of fishing but they didn’t want to swim for some reason after my son took 45 minutes to get this to the surface.

IMG_1455.jpeg

IMG_1448.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zwylde said:

Hit the jetties as well yeaterday.  Had a couple of youngins with us who more interested in swimming and trying to pet the dolphins instead of fishing but they didn’t want to swim for some reason after my son took 45 minutes to get this to the surface.

IMG_1455.jpeg

IMG_1448.jpeg

Were you able to go under the Pelican Island bridge?  I heard it was closed to marine traffic for a while.

On 7/2/2023 at 10:43 AM, troph said:

It’s about to get real…. 30 days of heaven but it might end in divorce…

backyard creeks:

71000051119__53A052AC-04E9-4944-844D-E81440011F0C.jpeg

70995509793__4886E9BF-19B3-454C-89E1-CEC80FCB29B5.jpeg

roaring fork a 3 minute bike ride away…

lot of single lonely guys here, you’ll rebound quick. I want to sing at the wedding 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

lot of single lonely guys here, you’ll rebound quick. I want to sing at the wedding 

well, I think I'm ok, we are maybe official this week, Colorado makes marriage licenses super easy.  But I've been on record saying if this one doesn't work out I'll chose fishing over another lady friend. who knows, maybe I'll get lonely enough I'll take some dick sucking classes or something and switch teams. better chance to find a guy who will put up with my fishing constantly than another woman. he may feign disapproval but that's nothing that can't be fixed with a good blow job and a nice ham sandwich. don't ask me how I know these things.

2 hours ago, Zwylde said:

IMG_1455.jpeg

IMG_1448.jpeg

dayum. had my kids on a massive shark one day. spent hours trying to get it up finally got it close enough to see it and then the line snapped. poor shark.

5 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Were you able to go under the Pelican Island bridge?  I heard it was closed to marine traffic for a while.

I saw that post as well but didn’t understand why.  Everything looked normal so I’m guessing the drawbridge portion is/was disabled so anything bigger than normal size rec/fishing boats would not be able to go under.  The higher clearance on each side were passable as always.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

If there ever was a surly worthy motto.  And truth. 

I’ve tried to explain this to my straight girlfriends and they don’t want to hear it. It’s bizarre. It’s not like it’s a time consuming endeavor. 3 mins tops and you’re in complete control of your relationship. I honestly don’t get it.  

On 7/24/2023 at 12:17 PM, troph said:

well, I think I'm ok, we are maybe official this week, Colorado makes marriage licenses super easy.  But I've been on record saying if this one doesn't work out I'll chose fishing over another lady friend. who knows, maybe I'll get lonely enough I'll take some dick sucking classes or something and switch teams. better chance to find a guy who will put up with my fishing constantly than another woman. he may feign disapproval but that's nothing that can't be fixed with a good blow job and a nice ham sandwich. don't ask me how I know these things.

That’s what I’ve always liked about you, Troph- you’re non-discriminatory. You go where the action is. 

• Haha 1

On 7/24/2023 at 10:59 PM, troph said:

hiked to 11,000 feet yesterday and tossed a 3 wt around for a while in an alpine creek and lake. Continental divide was in the foreground and only about 1,500 feet more. Conditions were nearly perfect with a south facing climb. Caught 10 or so brookies and lake trout. Wifey snagged one and she hasn’t tossed a line in the water in a few years. I caught a 10-11 incher on a 3 wt it was nice. Some sight fishing and the little guys in the creek are Tasmanian devils I tell ya. I didn’t get to do as much creek/stream fishing as I wanted - but every time I dropped a fly in the water … BOOM!!!!! those little fish destroy flies. Even barbless are hard to get out. Ounce for ounce there is not a more ferocious bite I don’t think than a 6-8 inch brookie in an alpine stream. Hell even a 40 pound jack won’t compare ounce for ounce. Maybe the GT maybe a marlin but again we are talking a 6-8 inch fish that just says FAFO to those flies. Jumps, rattles uncontrollably. Darts. Pulls, pushes. Just goes completely nuts. Pretty crazy.

Still need a cutthroat, going to a more northerly facing climb this coming weekend. Definitely not Hollywood tells me I might find some cuts. I’m banking on it. 

head back to the devils sauna Monday. Fml. 

IMG_2818.jpeg

IMG_2806.jpeg

IMG_2803.jpeg

IMG_2805.jpeg

IMG_2817.jpeg

IMG_2825.jpeg

IMG_2822.jpeg

IMG_5512.jpeg

IMG_5517.jpeg

Why. The. Fuck. Do. I. Live. In. Fort. Bend. 

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

So you can live in a big house?

We’ve been looking at a second place for last 18 months or so.  Been struggling with Tx coast (life dream) vs land vs house in Co.  Those pics beat the fuck out of Texas midcoast and south Texas scrub brush.