Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

Just now, Braff Zacklin said:

Felt soles might be a lifesaver for you, but there's a great deal of ongoing debate regarding their impact on rivers. Already outlawed in a few states with many others considering doing the same.

Yeah, as I understand, in the cooler-water bodies where whirling disease is a thing (infecting salmonids).  So, for Centex rivers (save the Gaudalupe), not a concern.  And I think my felt soles MIGHT even have studs.  It's been a while, I have to check.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

QFMFT.  We still base our of there often but fishing it proper?  Not in many years.  The fishing was declining before the freezes of the last several years.  To be expected when you can’t pack another boat into the fishing center or froggies lots Fri thru Sunday.   Thursdays are the new Friday’s, and still more people on water than ever was before.   It’s going to get worse before it gets better.   Need to start saving for Bluewater I guess.  

Speaking of crowds I'm taking the family and grandson (2.5 yrs) to Matagorda on Thursday to stay for a couple of days.  Fortunately the place we are staying you can walk to through the dunes to the beach, because the beach has basically been 4wd only the last couple of years.  So much traffic and so little rain, it's either soft powder or rutted all to hell or both.  Crazy.  

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Speaking of crowds I'm taking the family and grandson (2.5 yrs) to Matagorda on Thursday to stay for a couple of days.  Fortunately the place we are staying you can walk to through the dunes to the beach, because the beach has basically been 4wd only the last couple of years.  So much traffic and so little rain, it's either soft powder or rutted all to hell or both.  Crazy.  

Yeah seems like they used to blade it down to 3 mile, but last few trips I’ve made it certainly wasn’t.  It was still better from entry to 3, than the rest, but was still 4x4 or bust.   It was pretty gnarly down to about 10 miles where we got out.  The shark guys are multiplying like rabbits, as well.  Committed group there. 

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah seems like they used to blade it down to 3 mile, but last few trips I’ve made it certainly wasn’t.  It was still better from entry to 3, than the rest, but was still 4x4 or bust.   It was pretty gnarly down to about 10 miles where we got out.  The shark guys are multiplying like rabbits, as well.  Committed group there. 

I have a 4x4 but hate driving there on weekends.  Especially when high tide is at noon like this week.  Idiots park all crazy and you can’t get around them without going into the nasty stuff. Lately it’s been the entrance that gets all torn up. 

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

Won’t be long before Eric figures out how to get two of these on the back.  Just lol that my rig was fast when I built at 70-71, now it’s literally middle of pack to somewhat slow.  Unless it was a L&B BG 20 it wasn’t going to out and out pass you (pre-linered Stingray and no one had bubbles on the extremes yet)   That said, 210k after being tourney trail used and abused…

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

'splain this to a landlubber, por favor.

Wahoo = delicious, firm white fish. Probably one of my favorite fish to eat. 

Kingfish = oily, not great table fare. It's okay smoked in fish dip, but otherwise...meh. 

ETA: They are similar looking fish, and Kingfish are much more prevalent in the summer in the GOM

Edited by Pescado_Rojo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Wahoo = delicious, firm white fish. Probably one of my favorite fish to eat. 

Kingfish = oily, not great table fare. It's okay smoked in fish dip, but otherwise...meh. 

ETA: They are similar looking fish, and Kingfish are much more prevalent in the summer in the GOM

I was prepared to do the Kingfish ball thing had it been a King but the deckhand assured us during the fight that it wasn’t a King or a Shark.  Both of the deckhands were just as excited as us. The guys at DSH do a great job of helping folks on the party boats. 

Sautéed a piece tonight and it is excellent.   

4 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

Let me help you.

36c597d1f171f9fb83b8753ea33e7570.jpg

absolutely perfect

4 minutes ago, Al Czervik said:

I was prepared to do the Kingfish ball thing had it been a King but the deckhand assured us during the fight that it wasn’t a King or a Shark.  Both of the deckhands were just as excited as us. The guys at DSH do a great job of helping folks on the party boats. 

Sautéed a piece tonight and it is excellent.   

eat it raw, it is amazing

then take a hunk of it and blast all sides real quick and eat it rare, serve it over a nice salad

• Like 1

Any recs on an a fly rod for Reds? My homie just broke my 8wt bass fishing. Preferably 4pc as I'd also like to take it to Alaska. What line are yall using these days.

Love my TFO 5 wt so far.

I only fish fly on saltwater a few days a year so not looking to spend too much, but I like to have some range.

10 hours ago, Born to Run said:

Any recs on an a fly rod for Reds? My homie just broke my 8wt bass fishing. Preferably 4pc as I'd also like to take it to Alaska. What line are yall using these days.

Love my TFO 5 wt so far.

I only fish fly on saltwater a few days a year so not looking to spend too much, but I like to have some range.

If you want to stick with TFO, look at the Mangrove Coast or Axiom II. Both should be around tree fiddy. Outside of that, Orvis Clearwater or Recon if you want to spend a little more. The Recon is around $500. The Clearwater should also be in that tree fiddy range with the TFO rods. 

I use Scientific Anglers Amplitude Grand Slam lines on all my saltwater rods. It's pricey at around $120, but makes a huge difference loading the rod fast for those 50-60 ft Redfish shots. I could nerd out for hours on fly lines, but I'll refrain. If you end up with a medium-fast rod, the Grand Slam lines might be a bit heavy (they run almost 1/2 a line weight heavy in the shooting head) so I'd look at the SA Mastery Redfish line. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Born to Run said:

Love my TFO 5 wt so far.

I would check out the TFO's as suggested by Rojo.  I have an 8wt TiCrX (which is now the Axiom II-X).  Pulled it out of the case after 10 years and realized I did not clean the salt off very well and lost one of the large eyelets.  With very little effort, I able to get a replacement section for $60 and the rod is good as new.

The Axiom II is fast action and the II-X is extra fast.  I'm not sure if I am good enough anymore to cast the extra fast rod well.  The fast rod would probably better - my 5wt is the equivalent of the Axiom II.

5 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

@fattyflattie glad I’m not there (in Matagorda) this weekend, apparently the entrance is blocked from stuck vehicles and more up and down the beach.  
spacer.png

spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png

Oof. Sand looks good but what you gonna do with that water?  I don’t do holidays on the water (get off my lawn!!1!) unless it’s Thanksgiving or Christmas.  I’m sure some fine citizen from Braz county is going to make a killing with his snatch strap and mudders.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I wonder how many times that kid in the Tacoma has said “it’s a pre-runner, it’s just as good as a 4x4”

People get stupid driving on that beach.  It’s really not hard to navigate it if you know how to handle sand.  I see it every. Single. Time.  

On 6/27/2023 at 9:34 PM, Brisketexan said:

Well, really needed to clear my head this weekend. Hit the llano by myself. Realized it had been 5 years since I’d cast a fly rod. Then realized that I didn’t exactly have a pretty cast back when I practiced more, so it was plenty ugly now, as rusty as I was. And it was goddamned hot on Sunday.
But it didn’t matter. I had the stretch of water to myself. And staying in the river kept me cool enough.

Fished a hopper, was able to place it where I wanted often enough to get a fair number of blowups. But they were all tiny, and the hopper was just a touch too big. Hooked one little-ass bass, but he was pretty.

The water was good for me. I spent a few hours thinking about nothing but my cast, where the fish would be, and then my next cast. House finch landed right next to me. The frogs started making their racket at 7:25 on the dot. I got off the water at 8:00. It was still 104. Realized how thirsty I was, and downed the drinks I had in the cooler.

Listened to Jason Isbell on the way there. Listened to Willie, Sam Cooke, Jackie Wilson, and a hodgepodge of others on the way home.

Need to go back with my daughter. We’ve got some stuff to work through.

a5ed9b6bfed5e50e338c3daf18fbc2a8.jpg
7956533499d7a43737dc8aa4fdbe5646.jpg
80e4a9493d307146e267e269c6d296a9.jpg

That’s it man. And the llano is still fishing small imo, next time I go I’m taking my 3 wt.

On 7/1/2023 at 6:36 AM, Pescado_Rojo said:

If you want to stick with TFO, look at the Mangrove Coast or Axiom II. Both should be around tree fiddy. Outside of that, Orvis Clearwater or Recon if you want to spend a little more. The Recon is around $500. The Clearwater should also be in that tree fiddy range with the TFO rods. 

I use Scientific Anglers Amplitude Grand Slam lines on all my saltwater rods. It's pricey at around $120, but makes a huge difference loading the rod fast for those 50-60 ft Redfish shots. I could nerd out for hours on fly lines, but I'll refrain. If you end up with a medium-fast rod, the Grand Slam lines might be a bit heavy (they run almost 1/2 a line weight heavy in the shooting head) so I'd look at the SA Mastery Redfish line. 

TFO and a Ross reel was mine but I gave the TFO away and only have my over priced Scott.  I don’t know fly lines at all, anything that makes a 60 ft cast more likely is a must though. I think I need to learn it.

Day 1 I didn’t strike out! Fished the evening, with a caddis dry fly. The river (tucked up by the bank) caught some looks but it was the creek that got the bite, coulda been the time of day. Bugs flying everywhere around 7:30pm, water was boiling a bit. Fish seemed to like the smaller bugs, mine wasn’t small. I also think my line was right for the river but too heavy for the creeks and I was too lazy to change.  Still got two bites and landed this little one. Couple of jumps and splashes. Knots were good and lasted, no tangles, cast was pretty solid too, nice first full day here. i’ve come a long way since 2018/2019. I’m pretty satisfied.

IMG_2562.jpeg

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Sincere thanks for all the info and time you put in this post. Going to shop around with this guidance.

On 7/1/2023 at 1:38 PM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

@fattyflattie glad I’m not there (in Matagorda) this weekend, apparently the entrance is blocked from stuck vehicles and more up and down the beach.  
spacer.png

spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png

Doesn't anybody have enough smarts to get on your hands and knees and dig yourself out?  I always carry a shovel, but hell I would dig my ass out with my hands if I needed to.  I remember a few years back I screwed up and ran my old Expedition too deep off the beach nest to the Packery Channel.  I only had two wheel drive and I was basically the last guy fishing the jetty on an offseason weekday.  But I remained calm and did the old back and forth, just a couple inches at a time at first, then a foot or so until finally I had a couple feet of compacted sand that I could use to gain a wee bit of momentum to get my ass out.  But that last goose of the accelerator is the death nail, that only lets you spend more time digging. 

That sand looks pretty loose, and if the entrance clogs up it's a disaster, as more and more folks are forced to stop and lose momentum with more and more getting stuck.  Hope it High tide!

Doesn't anybody have enough smarts to get on your hands and knees and dig yourself out?  I always carry a shovel, but hell I would dig my ass out with my hands if I needed to.  I remember a few years back I screwed up and ran my old Expedition too deep off the beach nest to the Packery Channel.  I only had two wheel drive and I was basically the last guy fishing the jetty on an offseason weekday.  But I remained calm and did the old back and forth, just a couple inches at a time at first, then a foot or so until finally I had a couple feet of compacted sand that I could use to gain a wee bit of momentum to get my ass out.  But that last goose of the accelerator is the death nail, that only lets you spend more time digging. 
That sand looks pretty loose, and if the entrance clogs up it's a disaster, as more and more folks are forced to stop and lose momentum with more and more getting stuck.  Hope it High tide!
Not a traction board in sight.
  • Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Looks like only one of the pics was near the entrance (mile 1-3). For years and years they kept that section bladed for the folks who couldn’t figure it out. It always gets bad right at 3 miles, as people start turning left to get to the bay, and for some reason it’s a prime spot for circle work.  After that, it’s just loose sand similar to the 4x section of PINS.  Just 20 miles of keep you head on a swivel and throttle steady.  The biggest challenge is the shark guys parking in the path sometimes. 

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Looks like only one of the pics was near the entrance (mile 1-3). For years and years they kept that section bladed for the folks who couldn’t figure it out. It always gets bad right at 3 miles, as people start turning left to get to the bay, and for some reason it’s a prime spot for circle work.  After that, it’s just loose sand similar to the 4x section of PINS.  Just 20 miles of keep you head on a swivel and throttle steady.  The biggest challenge is the shark guys parking in the path sometimes. 

That and generally my buddies and I would plan our driving around the tides, so we weren’t going down or back at high tide.  

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
2 hours ago, horn4life said:

Not a traction board in sight.

I always keep two towels on hand in the winter. I wonder if that works on sand too?

16 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I always keep two towels on hand in the winter. I wonder if that works on sand too?

Towel is better than nothing!  It can sort of help you compact the sand if you are gentle enough with the rocking.  Good thing is about a towel if you think you can make it out you just haul ass and leave it behind.

My hillbilly engineer brain also says think about yanking your floor mats out and using those for traction pads in an emergency. (or your kid's lego mat! 😉 )

11 caught over 3 days. Tonight cut short (2 caught though) due to a kiddo, a bike wreck on a trail, and bloodied up knees, elbows and hands.

But this creek explodes at dusk:

IMG_2612.jpeg

nothing and I mean nothing to see or catch from about 12:30pm until dusk.  Then BAM. Buffet table. learned a lot from the locals, really good people.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2