Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

Fished the guad again. Morning bite was good, one on a dry, after noon it slowed way down. 8 fish 15-22". Brought a buddy, who got skunked. Spent most of the day trying to get him dialed and retying his tangled cluster fucks.

The 22 jumped three times and was a beautiful holdover fish. Clean fat, and happy. The fish not me.

Lost my reading glasses, again, which made tieing size 20 flies a real fucking joy and probably contributed to me breaking off a big fish late in the day.

Great weather aside from the wind.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I haven't been fishing yet this Spring, but I've been stocking up on modern lures while I have retired most of my more vintagey stuff. 

I hope Yo-zuri doesn't suck, but these were on clearance for about half the usual price. Snagged a few of my old tried and true favorite Bomber 6A crankers as well. 

Check the clearance section of your local Wal Mart's.

lures.jpg

Edited by DougO

I'm looking forward to trying out the one-knocker lipless. I always thought RattleTraps were overrated because the silly number of little bbs was overkill, too obnoxious and messed with the action. I always liked the old Cordell Spot better, either one-nocker or no-knocks back in the stone age.

I never fished with jerk baits much, but I ain't gonna spend $25 on one just to lose it in a snag.

13 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

My FIL owns a shop with a 1,000 gallon oil/fluids/gas/nasty chemicals disposal/recycling tank so throwing the old gas away is uncomplicated.

If a 4stk, any modern auto will burn it without issue. I had to drop 53 gallons of year old gas once, and split it between a few friends cars and the wife’s truck without issue.  Just put in 15-20 at most, splashed with some fresh regular and no issues.  I ran an in-line filter on my little fuel pump I used to take it out and didn’t get shit for water. That said, I had it pressed full when I put it up, so there wasn’t much room for the ethanol to absorb water.  

Eta: 50+ gallons is ALOT to get rid of.  I figured between a few of our vehicles and some race Jerry cans, we’d have it sorted.  Had to call in several friends. 

Edited by fattyflattie

• 2 weeks later...

Me and a buddy waded West Bay yesterday about 2-4 trying to hit the solunar feeding period/pre-front daily double.  Not as much action as we were expecting.  Two other rat reds and a 19” thrown back.  Beautiful afternoon in the shallows though.  Took me almost 20 minutes to get that red in hand.  Hooked on the outer part of the lip so nothing in the mouth/throat to stress her out I guess.  

3B5463E2-469E-4D1D-B61D-CEBE16891B77.jpeg

ABF1801E-1FFC-4F8F-88C8-EC25BAE49BA3.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Just now, Patricio Swayze said:

Oops, just remembered the regulations changed for Aransas Bay. So not a keeper.

Do you do any snake wrangling down there?  I was just thinking about you on my way back down the Intercoastal on Friday.  I’m guessing the spoil islands all along the Intercoastal are loaded with rattle bugs.  I think you are in the Houston area right?  I could take you out there by boat sometime if you would be interested.  I’m a novice but I would love to go find a few.

Do you do any snake wrangling down there?  I was just thinking about you on my way back down the Intercoastal on Friday.  I’m guessing the spoil islands all along the Intercoastal are loaded with rattle bugs.  I think you are in the Houston area right?  I could take you out there by boat sometime if you would be interested.  I’m a novice but I would love to go find a few.

Not too much. I walked through the park by the Walmart where I have caught a Ratsnake before. Nada. Then flipped some tin at an abandoned farm in Sinton, again, nothing.

Yeah, San Jose is full of rattlers from what I hear. I might stop off at Goose Island on the way home and see if anything is moving around.

Can confirm.  Believe it or not, the ones with some veg hold lots of hogs on them, too.  
Can confirm. Super snakey even in Dec. The ones with lof of hogs had almost no snakes. With TPW using Helos to exterminate hogs on Matagorda Island, I can only imagine how many snakes there are now.

15 hours ago, Born to Run said:
16 hours ago, fattyflattie said:
Can confirm.  Believe it or not, the ones with some veg hold lots of hogs on them, too.  

Can confirm. Super snakey even in Dec. The ones with lof of hogs had almost no snakes. With TPW using Helos to exterminate hogs on Matagorda Island, I can only imagine how many snakes there are now.

They were still there en masse a couple of years ago.  Hit a nice spring day at the airfields and you’ll have your pick of rattlers hanging near the tarmacs.  I know pigs can swim like crazy, but I’ve seen hogs on some of the tiny little spoils with not much of anything close.  Crazy. 

They were still there en masse a couple of years ago.  Hit a nice spring day at the airfields and you’ll have your pick of rattlers hanging near the tarmacs.  I know pigs can swim like crazy, but I’ve seen hogs on some of the tiny little spoils with not much of anything close.  Crazy. 
Snakes are thick on the Pennisula for sure. Crossing over to surf or surf fish is an adventure and they rarely rattle. Hogs are some swimming bastards they haul ass. Deer too. I once saw an 8 point buck crossing by the cost guard station and he was moving even with those skinny ass legs. I saw a bobcat swim across army cut and he looked less than majestic when got to land. Pathetic looking and annoyed.

On 4/2/2023 at 8:52 PM, irishtexan said:

We got a small runoff pond here in south Austin that is fed by a spring so it holds water year round. Someone put bass and bluegill in it. They don’t get very large but it’s still fun to fish.

Dug some nightcrawlers up today and the boy fished with those. He caught a dozen or so and I caught 10 using a little crank and a rooster tail. Good times.

09956940418db91ca03d9d7a5b6a131b.jpg
0f370444cf1404b2eba6c1b981561a8b.jpg
5919897ae511e370e3a5fd00f9963471.jpg
2e5fffd880d8a94e7de5d4e62dbf4d48.jpg

Yes. I am wearing a ghostbusters t shirt

Where is the pond?  Looking for a place to take my grandson.  PM me if you prefer.

Snakes are thick on the Pennisula for sure. Crossing over to surf or surf fish is an adventure and they rarely rattle. Hogs are some swimming bastards they haul ass. Deer too. I once saw an 8 point buck crossing by the cost guard station and he was moving even with those skinny ass legs. I saw a bobcat swim across army cut and he looked less than majestic when got to land. Pathetic looking and annoyed.

This pic is responsible for me taking a second look at my ports when I climb back in after a wade.

357dddafbc8eebe26c0fb942ed8c0548.jpg
  • Like 1

Nope.  Makes you think about sitting back down and just throwing them legs up under the console after a long wade though…
I had a smallish rattlesnek try slither up my leg in the middle of the fish pond. He was 100 yards from shore and clearly looking for any dry place. Damn near broke my rod fending him off. My buddy watched the whole thing and about died from laughter.

22 hours ago, Born to Run said:
On 4/24/2023 at 8:43 AM, fattyflattie said:

I ran over 2 deer swimming the cut coming out of Pringle, got the boat out of gear but there was no way to stop

On 4/23/2023 at 9:06 AM, Zwylde said:

Killed one in our front yard at Tiki last weekend.  Stay frosty.

I did not see any snakes today but this is prime time around my place. Usually see a few Corals, which i don't mind. The rattlers can fuck off.

I did say fuck it and fish the guad this morning. Around 12 trout, all 16-21. Lost another monster he took me for a ride than ran back at me shallow and came undone. All on nymphs except one on a streamer. My nymph box is getting Very empty but they were not too picky as long as it was 16-20 hook size. I think the front last night and small amount of rain had them fired up. Left em biting and off the water by noon. Didn't loose any fish I released, worked them aggressively and upped my tipit size as the water was slightly dirtier than normal from the rain. It was cool enough still where they weren't too stressed but this scene is about to end. Despite all the shit floating in the water very few rises, and the big boys were all just laying on the bottom working current like vacumns. Fish all looked fat and happy. SMH at bros showing up at noon.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

What are/were water temps, @DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt? Still stuck on this job in Vegas but hope to be home by the middle of the month.

Cold as balls.

9 hours ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

Which portion of the green? Above flaming gorge? Or below it. 

Below 🤙

• Hook 'Em 1

Every bit of fishing gear I own is saltwater and at our Crystal Beach house.  

I dont have a rig for ponds/lakes and my kid wants to start exploring places around Houston.

I have him handled but now I need a setup for me.  Should I just go ask at FTU or do you idiots have the right information?

Edited by huge

1 hour ago, huge said:

Every bit of fishing gear I own is saltwater and at our Crystal Beach house.  

I dont have a rig for ponds/lakes and my kid wants to start exploring places around Houston.

I have him handled but now I need a setup for me.  Should I just go ask at FTU or do you idiots have the right information?

Budget?

Just now, fattyflattie said:

Budget?

I am generally one to buy mid to high range and look for quality and something that will last.  I dont mind spending money but I dont need the latest and greatest.

I was thinking several hundred for a spinning reel?  What's $200 get me in Shimano?

9 minutes ago, huge said:

I am generally one to buy mid to high range and look for quality and something that will last.  I dont mind spending money but I dont need the latest and greatest.

I was thinking several hundred for a spinning reel?  What's $200 get me in Shimano?

Sorry, I can’t help with the eggbeaters. I’m a 99% saltwater guy but do have some bass spreads for a few tournaments I used to regular. I had same setup as my saltwater for top water (MG/Loomis 6-8”). Anything spinner bait/buzz bait I use Chronarch/Lews tournament SS and a 7’ med rod, just a tad heavier than a sw plastics setup. Custom 7-6” flipping rod out of La (forget name, Mardi Gras maybe) with Lews tournament SS with flouro.  Old chronarch 101 for backup duty. Several legit bass guys on here that can steer you better but those work for me. @squib

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, huge said:

Look at the Shimano Stradic.  I have several 15 -20 year old Stradics and they work great.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, huge said:

$200 for the reel or the whole setup? 

I have my Shimano Stradics paired with TFO 3-piece spinning rods.  At this point, I use them as a backup to flyrods, but they have served me well at the coast with reds, local creeks and rivers, and in Canada with 18" smallmouths and 30" northern pike.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

$200 for the reel or the whole setup? 

I was thinking 2-300 for rod and reel.  Stradic is the first thing I saw that seemed like what I would pick out on my own.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Sorry, I can’t help with the eggbeaters. I’m a 99% saltwater guy but do have some bass spreads for a few tournaments I used to regular. I had same setup as my saltwater for top water (MG/Loomis 6-8”). Anything spinner bait/buzz bait I use Chronarch/Lews tournament SS and a 7’ med rod, just a tad heavier than a sw plastics setup. Custom 7-6” flipping rod out of La (forget name, Mardi Gras maybe) with Lews tournament SS with flouro.  Old chronarch 101 for backup duty. Several legit bass guys on here that can steer you better but those work for me. @squib

@fattyflattie

@huge

Three tournaments weekends in a row and another this weekend before a one-week break. Fishing has been good. Feeling like all I do is fish or prep to fish. Not complaining. 

Anyway, as far as spinning tackle goes, it is like a sandwedge for me. If you see me on the front deck of my boat with a spinning rod in hand, you know I am in trouble and struggling. It is a last resort for me if I am trying to get a limit in the box. I do carry three with me at all times just because they make it so much easier for a Ned rig, dropshot or Damiki rig.  But again, I see those techniques as limit getters and not a way of putting much weight in the boat. There is a time and place though. 

That all said, I am not going to spend big bucks on spinning tackle because I go into every tournament hoping not to pick it up. No problem spending money like I just did on a Metanium MGL baitcaster (super sweet BTW). For spinning reels I have settled on Shimano Stradic as you stated and/or Shimano NASCI, which is a damn fine reel for the money. Everyone I know who has purchased a NASCI  as a backup has quickly worked it into the starting lineup. Here are some reviews: https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shimano_NASCI_FC_Spinning_Reel/descpage-SNFS.html

I will add that Diawa Tatulas have a strong following. I can speak to the Tatula baitcasters, and they are good-to-great reels. The other brand that has really impressed me over the last few years is Lew's. They used to be really special for certain applications in the '80s and '90s then fell off in quality. They are under new ownership now, and all my Lew's reels are fantastic. Not sure how they will hold up, but for the money, I find them hard to beat right now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, squib said:

They are under new ownership now, and all my Lew's reels are fantastic. Not sure how they will hold up, but for the money, I find them hard to beat right now. 

I feel the same.  I can get a solid 20 years out of a chronarch/MG/Core/Metanium, etc, even in saltwater (team #nevereverdunk)   But I bought a handful of Lews a few years ago to outfit my rarely used freshwater stable, ~5 rigs.  They have been very good.  I have not used them in the salt, but a lot of saltwater guys have made the switch.  They seem to be smooth as butter, ever so slightly has a noise when casting, at least compared to the top shelf shimanos.   I wouldn't be worried for a second on any of the upper echelon Lews, and might go that way when my Metanium gets passed down the line.  The way I've (not) been fishing lately, it might be awhile :( 

• Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I feel the same.  I can get a solid 20 years out of a chronarch/MG/Core/Metanium, etc, even in saltwater (team #nevereverdunk)   But I bought a handful of Lews a few years ago to outfit my rarely used freshwater stable, ~5 rigs.  They have been very good.  I have not used them in the salt, but a lot of saltwater guys have made the switch.  They seem to be smooth as butter, ever so slightly has a noise when casting, at least compared to the top shelf shimanos.   I wouldn't be worried for a second on any of the upper echelon Lews, and might go that way when my Metanium gets passed down the line.  The way I've (not) been fishing lately, it might be awhile :( 

You and me both, brother. When the boy is free, the wind is blowing...when he's got shit going on the weather is great. 

Just now, Pescado_Rojo said:

You and me both, brother. When the boy is free, the wind is blowing...when he's got shit going on the weather is great. 

Had a week long trip to rockport planned for last 3 months for this week, (free) house in KA, all set.   I am sitting in Miami.  Because of course I am.  I’d be embarrassed to tell this board last time I was able to fish.   I need a sugar mama so I can drag this work bullshit.  The annual little tourney I’ve been doing for last ~12 years fell on daughters state gymnastic finals.  It just never ends. 

I got skunked on Alan Henry today. I used to bass fish a lot until the twins showed up :). I loved them playing ball and yes they had shit going all the time while in school. They graduated a couple years ago so I have started fishing again. Wouldn’t you know I bought a damn boat at the very peak of their market. Anyway, still have all my old gear and had a blast today. Here is my fishing pardner.

8194F67D-4F5D-4CCE-AD99-14E29C096B5E.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, squib said:

I am a big believer in making long casts in clear water lakes. Add forward facing sonar to the mix, and bass are spookier than ever. My Lew's reels can sling a swimbait out of sight. 

Ok so youre saying I should get a Lews baitcaster instead?  I'm open to that too.

All I have is shimano, I wouldnt mind mixing it up.