Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

8 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

We’ve been looking at a second place for last 18 months or so.  Been struggling with Tx coast (life dream) vs land vs house in Co.  Those pics beat the fuck out of Texas midcoast and south Texas scrub brush.  

It's ungodly expensive up here. Has to be one of the most expensive places on earth. Worth it, but got damn.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

It's ungodly expensive up here. Has to be one of the most expensive places on earth. Worth it, but got damn.

Yeah, it’s definitely not cheap.  But can you put a price on this fucking blast furnace down here?  I’ve had time to fish the last several weeks for the first time in awhile and it’s just too damn brutally hot.  Gives me the same dreary feeling as mid-Feb when it’s too bleak to do anything. 

6000 sf lot

5400 sf home

not new construction / not a house I'd even enjoy

aspen (in town)

$11,500,000

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/720-W-Bleeker-St_Aspen_CO_81611_M16653-14776?from=srp-list-card

granted, there are other places, some more remote, etc. but even land in other parts will run you as much as $3M for 30 acres with zero improvments.

I think you can find a trailer for just under $1M though.

Edited by troph

25 minutes ago, troph said:

6000 sf lot

5400 sf home

not new construction / not a house I'd even enjoy

aspen (in town)

$11,500,000

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/720-W-Bleeker-St_Aspen_CO_81611_M16653-14776?from=srp-list-card

granted, there are other places, some more remote, etc. but even land in other parts will run you as much as $3M for 30 acres with zero improvments.

I think you can find a trailer for just under $1M though.

Just need to be within a decent distance and treat it like the coast.  Few hours here, few home. 

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

No, I’m saying where we’ve been looking in Co isn’t prohibitively expensive. It takes me 2.5-3 hours to get to the best areas on the Texas coast I fish now. If you apply the same to there, it becomes more doable. 

Ah I see sorry I thought you meant 2-3 hours from where you are now. 

27 minutes ago, troph said:

Ah I see sorry I thought you meant 2-3 hours from where you are now. 

No, should have been more clear.  I’m 2-5 hours from my fave spots in Texas. You can get into SW Co for not mind blowing money (we’ve been looking hard around Durango). Driving a few hours from there to hit a few days fishing isn’t dissimilar to what I’ve done my whole life. But yeah, that powerball hits and hello Aspen. 

Thanks.

I know ribs don't belong here but they are for fish camp ... and I'm just stupid excited. Camping at this place is my favorite thing. Unfortunately, I've missed the bulls the last two summers, but hope springs eternal.

Worst case, it'll be a few days catching lovely westslope cutthroats, non-resident sub-adult rainbows, and mountain whitefish.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

10 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Thanks.

I know ribs don't belong here but they are for fish camp ... and I'm just stupid excited. Camping at this place is my favorite thing. Unfortunately, I've missed the bulls the last two summers, but hope springs eternal.

Worst case, it'll be a few days catching lovely westslope cutthroats, non-resident sub-adult rainbows, and mountain whitefish.

I believe the full experience belongs here. Ribs and all. Fishing isn’t just fish, it’s outdoors, gear, friends, rituals, celebrations, all of it.

• Like 4

Today is our last before having to pack and go. Trying to figure out where to go, the hike we were planning seems ill advised for today given the next 4 days - I’m already sore from tennis and then a full day packing and a 2-3 day ride back (EV takes longer) seems like a miserable life of 50 year old soreness.  Looking at the map now. Decisions. 

Edited by troph

PSA: Orvis has the Hydros fly reel on sale for $199-$249 depending on side. That is a great deal on what was already the best “budget” fly reel on the market. Little Rojo has a Hydros IV that’s caught 4 permit, a few small tarpon, and a ton of upper slot and bull reds. Really, really smooth drag for that price point. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

PSA: Orvis has the Hydros fly reel on sale for $199-$249 depending on side. That is a great deal on what was already the best “budget” fly reel on the market. Little Rojo has a Hydros IV that’s caught 4 permit, a few small tarpon, and a ton of upper slot and bull reds. Really, really smooth drag for that price point. 

hey you have a pin drop by chance of that spot on the crystal that you and HW fished?

I can't do an alpine creek like I want to today, hips, heels, back are all too sore from tennis. about to head to the fly shop and the ranger station, ranger station won't be much help but I owe them a field report from last weekend.  I have pics of the spot and I'm sure the fly shop guys will know it but just in case...

13 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Thanks.

Why in the hell doesn’t camping food belong here?  

2 hours ago, troph said:

I believe the full experience belongs here. Ribs and all. Fishing isn’t just fish, it’s outdoors, gear, friends, rituals, celebrations, all of it.

See what I mean??!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Departure was delayed a day--leaving in about an hour. Y'all assholes have fun and catch some fish.

You need to carry the thread. I’m done for a month. 😕

bass fly float day trips are planned working on my reds at the coast for the fall but august is marriage rehabilitation month. At least the sex should be good.

Separate question - Devils river - who to go with?

All water guides is backed up and they do a deal where you stay on a working ranch. Cool.

others camp on the side of the river which sounds awful and amazing at the same time.

curious on thoughts on how to do it and who to go with ?  

Wrapped up West coast escape the blast furnace for a month with 6 days on Kodiak Island. Fantastic weather! even swam one day in the strait after we had full boxes. Not my dream trip but it was amazing bottom fishing with a great group of friends and family. Me and the boy are bringing back 200lbs of Halibut, Ling Cod, yellow eye, black sea bass, and silvers.

Hoping to go back next year for river and hike in fishing. Amazing place.

Outdoor workout Friday morning is going to suck

• Hook 'Em 5

it's actually an A paper in the class on how to report back to the group.  geography, fish, celebratory dinner. could add more re: techniques and gear/flies used but quality work, definitely setting the bar for the rest of you numbskulls.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

it's actually an A paper in the class on how to report back to the group.  geography, fish, celebratory dinner. could add more re: techniques and gear/flies used but quality work, definitely setting the bar for the rest of you numbskulls.

And boobs. Got an A- from me. 

• Haha 1

We had 11 boats on the water on Saturday in POC for work group trip.  Fishing has just been really tough overall.   Our boat wade fished and ended up with 5 trout and very few boats beat us on total keepers.  Those that did catch a couple more fish were jettie boats but nobody came close to limiting out on anything.  

Boats were absolutely everywhere.  No tide movement.  Hot. Hot. Hot.   

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

We had 11 boats on the water on Saturday in POC for work group trip.  Fishing has just been really tough overall.   Our boat wade fished and ended up with 5 trout and very few boats beat us on total keepers.  Those that did catch a couple more fish were jettie boats but nobody came close to limiting out on anything.  

Boats were absolutely everywhere.  No tide movement.  Hot. Hot. Hot.   

Sounds like it’s just time to wait the summer out. Work on our marriages or some shit like that. Feel bad for guides, hot as fuck and no one wants to go out. $$$ has to suuuuck right now.

3 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

No. Guides were all very busy. I had to replace one of the guides and had a tough time finding someone last minute. They are definitely feeling the stress of trying to find a way to keep their clients busy with action.

Another 35 days and the poons will be in the pass... 

On 8/5/2023 at 8:41 PM, MalibuSheriff said:

Spur of the moment cannonball run to the New Mexico high country with the kid…

First order of business was kid’s request  -Black Mesa hike to Oklahoma high point on the trip out.  Beautiful, vast empty mesa country brimming with all types of wildlife.  Hotter than hell and no shade but worth it.  I’d recommend this hike in cool seasons - Very nice Nature Conservancy property at trailhead.

IMG_8823.thumb.jpeg.0b6c39aab4cc09b8f630ccd6c2d164b7.jpeg

IMG_8539.thumb.jpeg.3023f62b77c63af0c8044b5797b2ca15.jpeg

IMG_8493.thumb.jpeg.71156ced03ecebd9fa56ace552b58f25.jpeg

IMG_8550.thumb.jpeg.6adfa66585b21463e182fe77c9034076.jpegIMG_8541.thumb.jpeg.5491397758824dd1ff35608cb5dd1dca.jpeg

On to the destination - High country of the northern New Mexico Sangre de Cristos and lots of Rio Grande cutts.

IMG_8729.thumb.jpeg.4e38fcc414ea142894e8dc4851d02996.jpeg

IMG_8720.thumb.jpeg.a3a39d0771e2781c9437bd23aa315129.jpeg

IMG_8744.thumb.jpeg.51c0a30d94291361e7e2ab7b16d0ddef.jpeg

IMG_8647.thumb.jpeg.7a40a3726c3ebd1bc2eecdfc05061e1e.jpeg

IMG_8643.thumb.jpeg.1c0d523d91eb534d96a697213be237b0.jpeg

IMG_8616.thumb.jpeg.eda74debde827e848a54c9e6538e0aed.jpeg

IMG_8602.thumb.jpeg.128f15d45bc30d754dff36ff5d104e51.jpeg

IMG_8745.thumb.jpeg.a1679ddd4df63d3b06b831568196f4a8.jpeg

The Land of Enchantment still very enchanting.

IMG_8762.thumb.jpeg.6a4075d10bd61ebc94e863a2e934e8c9.jpeg

IMG_8777.thumb.jpeg.fabc697bf58c5454e447f255e804dc2d.jpeg

there's simply nothing better than catching wild fish in wild places on dry flies. thanks for the pics. 

3 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

there's simply nothing better than catching wild fish in wild places on dry flies. thanks for the pics. Thanks and I totally agree.  That is definitely my scene!

We caught all the trout on Rio Grande Kings, Lime Trudes, Sparkle Duns, and X Caddis that I tied last winter.  We probably could have caught even more fish with hopper-dropper but in cutthroat water, I only fish dries.

The little Rio Grande cutts will bite anything but they have to be one of fastest takes in fly fishing.  If your hook up rate is 50%, you’re a world class angler.  Mine was in the teens.

New Mexico Fish & Game has done a fantastic job in recovery efforts with this fishery.  If anyone is interested, PM and I’ll give you details.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/7/2023 at 12:23 PM, troph said:

Fair. Consider me properly chastised.

Camping/fishing trip was a blast, but we missed the bulls. Again.

Buddy managed to land the smallest chinook I've ever seen our first evening. He also hooked into something huge with a massive kype but it self released before we could determine what it was.

That was it for exotics. The rest of the trip consisted of small- to mid-sized Westslope cutthroats and small rainbows.

What set this year apart, however, was how finicky the cutts were. In previous summers, they'd take virtually whatever you threw at them, so I typically rock a hopper/dropper rig. This year, however, they were keyed in and, despite constant rises, it took me two days to figure out on what. The only hatch I observed were skwalas, and they refused those imitations.

Turns out, blue-winged olives were close enough. Things got a lot busier after that.

Here's a shitty video from the trip. Most of it was shot directly below the campsite, but we actually covered many miles of water over four days, including a three-mile hike upstream in hopes of locating bulls. (No luck in that regard, but we did cross paths with a badger--a first for me. Larger and wider than imagined.)

Apologies in advance for the camera angle of the solo-filmed content. I need to work out a better system. The standard chest mount interferes with my fishing, however.

Edited by Braff Zacklin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

2 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

All fish were returned to the water unharmed and in good condition, so you can kindly STFU. Thank you.

And my post was in response to Malibu Sheriff’s post—especially regarding the fish in the grass.  Big no-no.  I didn’t even look at your post.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, HouTex said:

At no time were the fish ever out of water for long, none of them were mishandled, and it's quite clear from the footage that they all swam away briskly.

2 minutes ago, HouTex said:

And my post was in response to Malibu Sheriff’s post—especially regarding the fish in the grass.  Big no-no.  I didn’t even look at your post.  

Your post was immediately after mine, so maybe use the quote feature going forward.

Instead of dropping by to condescend to people willing to share their stories, maybe step up and do the same. You will almost certainly receive a better response than what you've given today.

Better yet, if fish health so motivates you, put your money where your mouth is and buy every license, permit and stamp available ... and then DON'T FISH. It's the only way to support the industry while also ensuring that you 100 percent do no harm to any of them.

Just now, Braff Zacklin said:

At no time were the fish ever out of water for long, none of them were mishandled, and it's quite clear from the footage that they all swam away briskly.

Your post was immediately after mine, so maybe use the quote feature going forward.

Instead of dropping by to condescend to people willing to share their stories, maybe step up and do the same. You will almost certainly receive a better response than what you've given today.

Better yet, if fish health so motivates you, put your money where your mouth is and buy every license, permit and stamp available ... and then DON'T FISH. It's the only way to support the industry while also ensuring that you 100 percent do no harm to any of them.

Lighten up, Francis.  

20 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Fair. Consider me properly chastised.

Camping/fishing trip was a blast, but we missed the bulls. Again.

Buddy managed to land the smallest chinook I've ever seen our first evening. He also hooked into something huge with a massive kype but it self released before we could determine what it was.

That was it for exotics. The rest of the trip consisted of small- to mid-sized Westslope cutthroats and small rainbows.

What set this year apart, however, was how finicky the cutts were. In previous summers, they'd take virtually whatever you threw at them, so I typically rock a hopper/dropper rig. This year, however, they were keyed in and, despite constant rises, it took me two days to figure out on what. The only hatch I observed were skwalas, and they refused those imitations.

Turns out, blue-winged olives were close enough. Things got a lot busier after that.

Here's a shitty video from the trip. Most of it was shot directly below the campsite, but we actually covered many miles of water over four days, including a three-mile hike upstream in hopes of locating bulls. (No luck in that regard, but we did cross paths with a badger--a first for me. Larger and wider than imagined.)

Apologies in advance for the camera angle of the solo-filmed content. I need to work out a better system. The standard chest mount interferes with my fishing, however.

You can tell how healthy/happy those fish are. Wild fish, man. Love'em!

• Like 1