Tell me about TCU

Longboard Horn

https://www.frogsowar.com/2020/8/20/21389803/tcu-qb-max-duggans-status-uncertain-for-2020-season 

Aug 20, 2020, 7:24pm CDT 

TCU QB Max Duggan’s status uncertain for 2020 season

The sophomore discovered a medical condition during an exam with TCU medical officials.

By Melissa B. Triebwasser@TheCoachMelissa 

Add another one to the reasons why 2020 sucks list.  But maybe this one has a positive attached.

It was announced Thursday evening that TCU Football sophomore quarterback, and presumed starter, Max Duggan would likely miss several games for the Horned Frogs this fall, and that the status of his 2020 campaign as a whole was in doubt.

In a zoom call with “select media” (thanks for the invite, guys), Coach Patterson revealed that “Max has a condition that he’s had his whole life and we caught it. Right now he’s in a good place and hopefully he’ll be getting back some time during the season. Right now we’ll be going forward with the rest of the quarterbacks. It’s a thing he was born with and I’m just glad we found it; I can say that.”

Ultimately, it’s obviously a good thing that the condition was discovered now — before it could be further detrimental to his health. But it’s obviously a huge hit to the Horned Frogs’ program, one that has had depth issues at the key position for several seasons now.

In Duggan’s place, we will likely see a battle between current #2 Matthew Downing, a former walk-on by way of Georgia who was put on scholarship prior to his sophomore season, and transfer Stephon Brown, a highly-rated recruit in his own right who was the number one dual-threat QB in the country at the juco level. Brown is a 6-foot-5, 220-pounder who threw for over 1,400 yards with 16 scores while adding nearly 600 yards with 8 more scores on the ground in his final season at Independence C.C.

Duggan had high expectations in year two after going 181 for 339 passing for 2,077 yards with 15 touchdowns and 10 interceptions and rushing for 555 yards and six TDs. With a bevy of talented receivers at his disposal and a young but potentially very exciting backfield behind him, hopes were high for the offense after an inconsistent 2019.

But now, once again, there are more questions than answers at the most important position on the field, and the Frogs are back to the drawing board.

Most importantly, we wish nothing but the best for Max, and hope that he returns to full health — and football if he’s able — soon.

Prayers Max 🙏🙏🙏

Edited by LTtxfan

13 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Duggan had high expectations in year two after going 181 for 339 passing for 2,077 yards with 15 touchdowns and 10 interceptions

Is... that good? To where you would have high expectations?

That sucks for him, though. One of those things that I wonder if he wishes they wouldn't have caught it - tough to say without knowing what it is. Probably a heart condition, right?

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

That sucks for him, though. One of those things that I wonder if he wishes they wouldn't have caught it - tough to say without knowing what it is. Probably a heart condition, right?

No, he was one of the least accurate passers in college football last year, but he was still a really solid player who made things happen. I really enjoy watching him play and hope he can get out there and play this year.

4 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Will you give us a short summary of TCU QB situation? I feel like missed a few transfers and such. What happened to Collins? The K State guy? So now it’s the Georgia walk on and who behind him?

I believe the K State guy, Alex Delton, was a 5th year senior so he’s gone due to graduating.

On 8/21/2020 at 10:32 AM, Neonmoon said:

Will you give us a short summary of TCU QB situation? I feel like missed a few transfers and such. What happened to Collins? The K State guy? So now it’s the Georgia walk on and who behind him?

The answer is not much.  I wonder if any of these QB's at schools not playing want to transfer.  Asking for a friend.

On 8/21/2020 at 2:53 PM, Longboard Horn said:

Interesting. TCU grads/fans, thoughts?

Downfall is placing to much importance on Cumbie and bad luck at quarterback.  We have hired a new OC advisor but are still having QB issues.  Get that fixed and we will be fine.  We are kind of the Chicago Bears of the Big 12 currently.  

1 hour ago, Big Frog II said:

Downfall is placing to much importance on Cumbie and bad luck at quarterback.  We have hired a new OC advisor but are still having QB issues.  Get that fixed and we will be fine.  We are kind of the Chicago Bears of the Big 12 currently.  

Weird thing is, he's been a phenomenal QB recruiter. Just gotten absolutely dogshit injury luck. How much can you really blame on him vs your strength/support staff or just a bad edge case in unavoidable injuries?

Edited by texifornia

On 8/21/2020 at 9:08 AM, ztejas said:

Pretty similar to Sam's stat line from his first year.

Wow. Welp, at least all the twitter and internet bickering will be settled by all of this and the side that was wrong will undoubtedly apologize for their view and work to help everyone realize that we need to come together to beat this thing.

j/k

we’re all gonna die

On 8/22/2020 at 3:08 PM, Big Frog II said:

All this and more. QB inefficiency has plagued us for a few seasons. Once we coach them up and find one that fits our system we'll be just fine. 

3 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

That's still not as bad as the Jim Wacker era when we were on a bowl ban in the mid 80s with limited scholarships for 87 and 88 seasons. Though it could have been a lot worse if Wacker hadn't taken action by reporting the NCAA violations and kicking Kenneth Davis and other players off the team who were being paid to play. While I do applaud Wacker for doing the right thing and addressing the problem so that we wouldn't become another SMU, those sanctions and probation set us back. Pat Suillivan tried his best to make us truly competitive again. Fuck Franchione. He made the team worse, in my opinion.

11 hours ago, Goodman said:

Shocking that a wannabe private school is leveraging rules to their advantage. Fuck tcu & baylor.

Saw this fuckhead throwing passes in south austin, likely sleeping on manchaca/ben white.

Casey%252BPachall%252BParties%252B01.jpg

https://www.widerightnattylite.com/2012/10/4/3252361/the-many-faces-of-casey-pachall/comment/119440501

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29953934/philadelphia-eagles-wr-jalen-reagor-heading-ir-thumb-injury-source-says

Philadelphia Eagles WR Jalen Reagor heading to IR with thumb injury, source says

PHILADELPHIA -- Eagles rookie wide receiver Jalen Reagor will miss multiple weeks with a UCL tear in his thumb, sources told ESPN.

A source said Reagor is expected to undergo surgery and will be placed on injured reserve.

Reagor was injured on a play across the middle in the first half of Sunday's loss to the Los Angeles Rams. He stayed in the game and finished with four catches for 41 yards.

There is a chance the Eagles could hold him out until after their Week 9 bye as a precaution. For context, New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees missed five games with a similar injury last season.

Found this from a poster (YoungHookEm)  on 247

Jeremy Clark(STAFF) did a write up in TCU 247.

I found it particularly interesting what it going on a RB for them. I think most people expected Barlow to start with Z Evans as the backup since Foster has been hurt. I wonder if this is because Demercado is going to be good or because the others are not so good.

Under the section "SHOCKED"
"Emari Demercado starting at running back. I’ll be the first to admit that I did not see this one coming for several reasons but the biggest was the fact that other than what Patterson said about him several weeks ago, there hasn’t been much talk about him. For him to hold off the youngsters is pretty impressive to say the least. This is another player that Patterson said was having a good fall camp; I should’ve listened more.

- Sticking at running back, although there are “OR” listed behind the running backs names, I was shocked to see Zachary Evans listed as the fifth running back on the depth chart."

9938999.jpg

14 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

- Sticking at running back, although there are “OR” listed behind the running backs names, I was shocked to see Zachary Evans listed as the fifth running back on the depth chart."

That crazy roller coaster has so many more high and lows to go. Get your popcorn

TEXAS vs tcu next Saturday.... 11:00AM KICKOFF

https://247sports.com/college/tcu/Article/TCU-loses-to-Iowa-State-37-34-152001591/

TCU loses season opener to Iowa State; 37-34

"Well it’s easy, I take full blame," TCU head coach Gary Patterson said following the game. "Takeaway is tackling -- can’t allow big plays. ¾ of their yardage came on big plays. I didn’t think it was a bad first game, except you lost. There’s no good loss. Some new players made some good plays, but at the end of the day you’ve got to win ball games."

TCU outgained Iowa State on the day, 499-424, but the offense had two turnovers on the day which led to Iowa State scores. The Frogs passed for 400 yards but only had 99 yards on the ground on 43 carries. To make matters worse, the Frogs offensive line gave up six sacks to the Cyclone defense, led by JaQuan Bailey’s 3.5.

Matthew Downing started and played the first half for the Frogs; he completed 11-of-21 passes for 159 yards with a score. Max Duggan entered the game in the second half and finished the game 16-of-19 for 241 yards with 3 touchdowns

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...