2021 UFC/MMA thread

shadow_operative2.0

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

At some point you have to fear what Ngannou is capable of. I'm not sure he had any strategy in the bank that was surefire to pull that out. 

Yeah, but Francis never had that explosiveness tonight, probably on account of his knees.

Gane was up 2-0 and all he had to do was keep his distance and keep firing kicks and jabs and he could've won every round.  He surely wasn't expecting Francis to have improved so much at takedowns and grappling, but he also didn't ever have to get that close.  He got close because he wanted to get cute with that spinning back elbow, and he got cute again with the heelhook attempts.  Maybe he's tired of being called a point fighter, but he could've won every round tonight as a point fighter.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Yeah, but Francis never had that explosiveness tonight, probably on account of his knees.

Gane was up 2-0 and all he had to do was keep his distance and keep firing kicks and jabs and he could've won every round.  He surely wasn't expecting Francis to have improved so much at takedowns and grappling, but he also didn't ever have to get that close.  He got close because he wanted to get cute with that spinning back elbow, and he got cute again with the heelhook attempts.  Maybe he's tired of being called a point fighter, but he could've won every round tonight as a point fighter.

Right but saying that "all he had to do was keep his distance" is probably easier said than done. Staying on your feet for 5 rounds against someone like Ngannou seems precarious. Sure you could just try and win on points but every second you are on your feet up against a dude like that is another second that he could catch you off guard and land a KO against you. 

I don't pretend to know a lot about the sport so correct me if I'm wrong - just commenting off of what I saw in that fight. 

Ultimately - I think the better fighter won and the technique that Ngannou displayed on the ground was super impressive and maybe was something that Gane wasn't anticipating. Seemed sort of damned if he did damned if he didn't. Maybe he goes the other direction and catches a right to the face at some point and gets KOed. Idk. It was a good fight.  

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, TexArcher said:

But I'll give Cyril credit for being really gracious in defeat just now.  He grew on me a little there.

Just being French makes a person automatically seem aloof and assholish to Americans,  but everything about Gane seems like he's as decent a dude as a fighter can be. Even when he wrecked Black Beast in Houston he wasn't a dick about it. 

Ciryl seems like a real good dude too.  That was a close fought fight, and IMO the difference is mental/experience (same prob with Ngannou-Lewis) .  He hasn't had had a fight of this profile (was champ of tiny promotions). Could get him in a rematch.

Gane has gotta muster up some KO power if he wants to beat Ngannou. He was like a gnat buzzing around a grizzly bear that entire fight. Francis was 100% confident marching into that shit to get his hands on him. And with (allegedly) a blown knee. Francis wins this 10 out of 10 times if Gane can't inflict real damage with his striking.

Went to this event on Saturday (first live MMA event I’ve been to). Really fun. Thoughts:

UFC puts on a good show. No one works harder than Bruce Buffer. When the fight is not on, he’s always on the move. Walking around, talking to people, staying loose, etc. Took pics with everyone that came up to the rail. 

A LOT of fighters making their UFC debut. 

Only stinker in my mind was Gravely v. Oliveira. 

Frevola just steamrolled (ha!) his opponent. Dude took a beating and was tough as hell (probably too tough for his own good). 

Australian dude was impressive. 

In the lady fight, the girl got dropped hard but recovered and got the sub. Pretty crazy turnaround. 

Victor Henry took right on short notice and took just a bit to adjust then had a great fight.  That was a “busy” fight  

Michael Morales might be a problem in the division.  Young dude.

Stamann looked like he was going to retire after getting subbed in under a minute.  Said was like looking around when ref is asking him if he’s ready and then just caught him quick. 

Argentine dude needs to learn how to move.  Pereira does a lot of unnecessary stuff but he’s entertaining

Pops for Moreno were crazy.  I wouldn’t have been surprised if they called that fight either way.  Fig definitely landed the harder shots and the leg kicks looked worse because Moreno was always looking off balance.  Fun fight.

Crowd definitely lost juice after that one.  Seeing the HWs in the ring after the little guys is a shock.  Massive.  I thought Gane had more tools, but I think too inexperienced here.  Definitely looked super gassed around the 3rd. Francis is just so freaking strong.  Surprised at his ability to dominate on the ground.  Thought Gane screwed up going for the leg at some point.

A lot of weed smell in the building. Loudest celebrity pop of the night to Iron Mike 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Frieda’s Boss said:

Stamann looked like he was going to retire after getting subbed in under a minute.  Said was like looking around when ref is asking him if he’s ready and then just caught him quick.

Umar...Said... Abubakar...Khabib... takeaway is dont fight any motherfucker named Nurmagomedov

Probably a part of the contract gamesmanship - given he already just fought on a damaged leg. 

Automatic champ clause extended his current contract by 3 matches or 1 year, whichever comes first. 

If he holds out 1 year, hes free to pursue boxing match outside of UFC

2 hours ago, JohnnyRage said:

In some senses though, let's forget about this injury, couldn't he triple his salary by fighting 3 times a year instead of just once? I get that he has reached the elite level of all of sports and deserves elite money, but Lewis is out there fighting again already.

yeah, but also 3x training camps, 3x opportunity to get damaged, 3x opportunity to lower his stock, etc.

he was poking around with a fight with the jake paul camp (against some no-name dude).  the paul boxers have been estimated to net 8 figures per fight (??)... the return on risk is way better that route.

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

yeah, but also 3x training camps, 3x opportunity to get damaged, 3x opportunity to lower his stock, etc.

he was poking around with a fight with the jake paul camp (against some no-name dude).  the paul boxers have been estimated to net 8 figures per fight (??)... the return on risk is way better that route.

Agreed for the top of the card, but the other fighters on their cards make dog shit. Their argument about UFC pay is stupid when the fighters on their cards make 1/10th UFC minimum wage.

Ngannou has propelled himself into rarefied air in one of the most popular sports. I understand where he is coming from. However, his argument should also be a little less selfish in that he is fighting for the  future of all fighters and their families. But that's the Union man in me.

Edited by JohnnyRage

3 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

Agreed for the top of the card, but the other fighters on their cards make dog shit. Their argument about UFC pay is stupid when the fighters on their cards make 1/10th UFC minimum wage.

Ngannou has propelled himself into rarefied air in one of the most popular sports. I understand where he is coming from. However, his argument should also be a little less selfish in that he is fighting for the all future fighters and their families. But that's the Union man in me.

i think one of the vaild arguments is that mark hunt and alistair overeem were getting 800k guaranteed.  ngannou's was fighting at 600k as defending champ.

mark hunt was nowhere near championship contention, and overeem was non-PPV headliners.  even with PPV cut in and champ bouses, ngannou has grounds for demanding higher base going forward

He said his main intention is not to simply quit the UFC, he wants the option to box with another promotion in his off time. He also does not want to have to give Dana White a cut of any boxing deal he might sign, a la McGregor/Mayweather. 

He's got a point. Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson both played for two different sports leagues and other than contract stipulations that forced them to make themselves available by certain dates (on the NFL side) I don't believe that they had to give the NFL a cut of their MLB money, or vice-versa.

Ya know, for all of Sean Strickland's psycho act and talk about wanting to kill someone in the cage, he fought like a point fighter tonight.  He avoids damage very well and he's an accurate striker, but he had no interest in finishing that fight.  And now 8 of his last 11 wins are by decision.

I'm not even knocking him for that, but the antics don't really match the fighter.  It's weird.

Yeah, but he mildly won me back over after the fight with a more humble and gladiatorial attitude. But I feel like I’ve heard it before.

Boring ass fight for a top ten matchup though. But he thorough outclassed Hermanson especially with a AA grade left jab.

Edited by JohnnyRage

4 hours ago, JohnnyRage said:

No, those other guys are both top 5 gatekeeper killers. Khamzat's cardio has never been tested, and Dariush is one of the best grapplers in the business, no?

I like Dariush, but the Dagestani wrestling code seems not to have been cracked, and Islam is the heir apparent to Khabib.

For Khamzat agreed he hasn't been to war.  Why I'm big on him is it's a 170/185 guy vs 155/170 guy.